Become a Patron!

Alien 220w

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i'm gonna do more testing with the alien. i wanna hit at 220 watts with my HB6 batts and compare it to the HG2 and 30q to see if there is any noticeable difference
You are going to find a VERY noticeable difference from high side to low.

Ctenney700r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm gonna order some silent vtc5a from imrbatteries. Com in the next week or so. Think I'd be better off with 2 25amp batteries than the 2 20 amps. Be nice to have a set of each. I'm running the tfv8 tank on the alien mod. So I wanna be able to accasionally vape at higher than 110 watts. Just want to be certain I know the wattage I can run with what batteries so I don't have another pipe bomb go off in my hand. I appreciate all the replies and info from all you guys. You ppl are very informative. Sometimes alot more information than I can wrap my head around. But it's nice to know their are ppl out there that want to help they "newbies" and not tell them to buy this or that just to make the extra money like the ships do. Thanks again

Ctenney700r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was wondering if any one knew what amps you could charge the batteries at while they are inside the device? Can I use an LG rapid charging block? I think it charges at like 2 amps. Or should I use a lower amp block and slow charge them? Also when should I charge the batteries? Should I let them get low? Say 20 or 30 percent before I charge. Or is it better to charge them about 1/2 or 3/4 full? Thank you

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I was wondering if any one knew what amps you could charge the batteries at while they are inside the device? Can I use an LG rapid charging block? I think it charges at like 2 amps. Or should I use a lower amp block and slow charge them? Also when should I charge the batteries? Should I let them get low? Say 20 or 30 percent before I charge. Or is it better to charge them about 1/2 or 3/4 full? Thank you

In a multi-battery mod, most mod's do not have the best charging circuits, wether from not shutting charge off properly to not balancing and charging all batteries equally up to full charge it is suggested to use an external charger instead. That being said, if at work or out and about in the car, using onboard mod charging can get you by until you get home to properly charge the batteries, but do not leave it unattended while charging. Most on board chargers there are two camps regarding power supply blocks, lowest possible camp and those that say give it a supply more than it can take. Most mod's I myself am conservatively on the safer lower end in advice, trickle charge is gentler and more accurate than higher rapid charge, for the alien like most maybe a 500mah to 1amp hour (1000mah) charger is sufficient, nor overly expensive.

Remember this analogy, charging a battery is like using an air compressor to push air through a pin hole into a soda can, highly unstable and potentially dangerous, batteries are far more grumpy under charge than in high stress usage. Most IMR/INR batteries we use can, some of them accept a 4amp input charge, but highly dangerous. My advice with 18650 batteries, 0.25 to 0.5amp trickle charge to 1amp rapid charge max, a good external charger like the Xtar line allows setting 0.25, 0.5, and 1amp, where the middle tier Efest can be set 0.5, 1amp all channels and 2amp only 2 slots

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
In a multi-battery mod, most mod's do not have the best charging circuits, wether from not shutting charge off properly to not balancing and charging all batteries equally up to full charge it is suggested to use an external charger instead. That being said, if at work or out and about in the car, using onboard mod charging can get you by until you get home to properly charge the batteries, but do not leave it unattended while charging. Most on board chargers there are two camps regarding power supply blocks, lowest possible camp and those that say give it a supply more than it can take. Most mod's I myself am conservatively on the safer lower end in advice, trickle charge is gentler and more accurate than higher rapid charge, for the alien like most maybe a 500mah to 1amp hour (1000mah) charger is sufficient, nor overly expensive.

Remember this analogy, charging a battery is like using an air compressor to push air through a pin hole into a soda can, highly unstable and potentially dangerous, batteries are far more grumpy under charge than in high stress usage. Most IMR/INR batteries we use can, some of them accept a 4amp input charge, but highly dangerous. My advice with 18650 batteries, 0.25 to 0.5amp trickle charge to 1amp rapid charge max, a good external charger like the Xtar line allows setting 0.25, 0.5, and 1amp, where the middle tier Efest can be set 0.5, 1amp all channels and 2amp only 2 slots

FYI alien has on board balanced charging

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Yes I've heard, even with an evolv board I still say, an external charger designed specifically for charging and nothing more is your best and safest alternative, on board charging in emergencies only.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yes I've heard, even with an evolv board I still say, an external charger designed specifically for charging and nothing more is your best and safest alternative, on board charging in emergencies only.

Agreed. But good on board charging is nice to have

Ctenney700r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Agreed. But good on board charging is nice to have

So what amps would you recommend? I have heard nothing but how great the balanced charging is and everything on the alien. I don't have an external charger yet. I'm gonna buy one. But is it OK to "top off" the batteries say if they are only at like 80% or do they need to be drained lower and then charged?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
So what amps would you recommend? I have heard nothing but how great the balanced charging is and everything on the alien. I don't have an external charger yet. I'm gonna buy one. But is it OK to "top off" the batteries say if they are only at like 80% or do they need to be drained lower and then charged?
You can charge them at anytime. They don't need to be dead. Everyone says xtar are the best but nothing wrong with a nitecore charger.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I posted that above, about 0.5 to 1amp. Topping off at 80% is fine, these are not nickel cadmium or nickel metal hydride batteries, they hold no memory.

Ctenney700r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I posted that above, about 0.5 to 1amp. Topping off at 80% is fine, these are not nickel cadmium or nickel metal hydride batteries, they hold no memory.

I missed that part. Thank you

Ctenney700r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't vape myself, but I do use lithium batteries on a daily basis. There are a few things that your vape shop or the manufacturer may not have cautioned you about. This incident is the result of mishandled lithium batteries...
First thing you Need to know is that when a lithium battery goes off it's an instant 2000 degree ferienheit flame...
Second is proper battery maintenance. What makes lithium batteries desirable is their discharge qualities. "old" batteries would lose voltage along with amperage as soon as they were being used. A lithium battery holds its voltage to the end of its amperage. You must discharge your battery to the safe recharge voltage before recharging it... "how do I do this?" Is what you are most likely thinking. Your device should do it for you. When purchasing a vape kit it is most important to know if the device has an internal "low voltage cut off" or "lvc". This is where the device detects that it is drawn down to a safe voltage. Then make sure to use your device until the lvc has been reached WITHOUT RECHARGING... The importance of this is that as I previously stated a lithium battery holds its voltage until the end of its amperage. When charging a lithium battery it charges amperage at a much higher rate than it does voltage. This will allow a lithium battery to over charge with amperage. Amperage is the mah rating of the battery. So let's say your battery is a 3000mah and you use it down to half charge 1500mah, now you recharge it but it takes on another 2000mah during charge so it now has 3500mah charge. It's now 500mah over charged. It will not lose this over charge until the battery is completely discharged to its minimum voltage. Repeating this process without fully discharging your battery will put it at risk of rupturing/exploding. There is a lot of information on lithium batteries and I urge you to do some research on them for yourself. I use them in the r/c hobby, which I have seen lithium batteries go off many times, and last I knew were still considered "experimental" in the hobby world.

I found this comment on a lithium battery sight. Is this true about charging. WAs understeer impression that I could recharge the battery at any point and it wouldn't over charge. Please clear this up for me as I have charged them between 50-75% never went below 50. Hopefully I'm not over charging them. Thanks for the help

VU Sponsors