Become a Patron!

Alien coils

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I finally bought a set of "alien" coils by geek vape. Yes they are a flat wire with alien wrap. I did this to try them out. My experience was this. Less than 130 watts it seems like I don't get much from them and about 140 it starts to act better but it's a tad too warm which would be fine if the flavor was there.

My question is this. Would 28 gauge cores and 36+ wrap aliens give me a better experience?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those Geekvape complex coils are ok but not as good as the premium hand made ones, since Geekvape are taking shortcuts in order to make them easier/cheaper to make.
With any kind of Claptons the thinner the wrap wire is the better.

Still, I don't think you need 140W to drive them, anything at 100W+ should be fine.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well how I vape I only take 2-3 second drags I don't like taking long drawn out drags. The coils ohm out at like .11-.13 my mod reads only 4.2ish Volts at 140 watts

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well how I vape I only take 2-3 second drags I don't like taking long drawn out drags. The coils ohm out at like .11-.13 my mod reads only 4.2ish Volts at 140 watts
Should be fine, i personally use my aliens from 130w-150w but those are 3x 26g kanthal cores.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Imo 4x 28g alien is better than 3x 26 at the same power.
The geek vape coils look puny though. I can't imagine the experience was stellar compared to a fused clapton with the same cores.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Imo 4x 28g alien is better than 3x 26 at the same power.
The geek vape coils look puny though. I can't imagine the experience was stellar compared to a fused clapton with the same cores.
The coils are actually quite large. It was difficult to fit a 6 wrap in the boreas. Though after much shifting and maneuvering I was able to get them to fit. One problem I see is the core is a single flat piece of metal. Some would say ribbon wire but it's thick. I wasn't impressed which cause me to question if I would like true aliens or not. One day I'll attempt at making them but first I want to try a 3 core fused clapton. Though, I need to buy wire for that to happen lol.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol. I suppose the word large is relative. On a 17mm deck they would look big.
My Griffin 25 makes my framed staples look massive. And with only 4.5 wraps.

If they used a single piece, that's probably the problem. With 3+ cores you're creating grooves for juice to wick into and more surface area while keeping the mass pretty low. That's why I like 4x 28g cores. Less mass than 3x 26 but more grooves and surface. Paired with a 34/36g wrap, it starts to pull ahead of a typical fused clapton.

IMO, you're right. Not a "true" alien. Just thick ribbon with alien wrap.

When you start to fuse your own wire, give my little picture tutorial a read. I struggled with keeping the cores lined up till I started mixing different people's methods.
Scroll down till you see my posts...there's other good advice in there too.
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/need-help-with-alien-wire.132513/

3 cores are easier to alien than to clapton. The alien can be stretched to the point it doesn't need tension to wrap. Even 36g needs a bit of tension to clapton tightly. 38 and 40 would probably work better to clapton more than 2 cores.

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
3 cores are easier to alien than to clapton. The alien can be stretched to the point it doesn't need tension to wrap. Even 36g needs a bit of tension to clapton tightly. 38 and 40 would probably work better to clapton more than 2 cores.
Exactly !, Aliens are easier than tripple core fused claptons :)

VU Sponsors