Become a Patron!

Alien Coils

GrayG70

Member For 1 Year
Hey guys
Just a quick question, Im using Alin wire, 0.3 x 0.8 +32ga Kanthal, I build on a dual coil basis, 4.5 wraps, dual, comes out at roughly 0.21ohms every time.
Flavour, great, cloud, great, But after about 48 hours vaping i notice a lot less cloud, at this stage flavour is a little muted too and i generally have to dry burn the caking off the coils and clean them and rewick.
Is this normal for Aliens?, i hear so many people saying they only need to rebuild maybe once a month, is it normal for Aliens to need this much maintenance every couple of days ?, i thought it may have been my juice, but ive tried a few, cheap and expensive brands, same result, then i thought could it just be the wire, the fact that its kanthal, or maybe im hitting it too hard at .21ohms, which i dont think i am, i generally vape at around 60 - 65watts at .21.
Any advice needed, if its the ohms should i be building for higher ohms or lower?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Its actually pretty normal for any coil. Some gunk up faster than others, but I believe the reason for less vapor and flavor is actually the wick. When you change the wick, does it come out burnt in the middle or in 2 peices? That is simply because you coil is heating from center out, the wick in the center of the coil gets more heat for a longer period. You can extend the time between rewicking by lowering the power (watts), You can also help this issue by making a slightly larger ID core. Your ID should be no more than 2 to 2.5x the length of your coil.. IE..if your have a 2.5 mm id core, the coil should not be longer than 5 to 6 mm long.

Last edited:

GrayG70

Member For 1 Year
yer it is usually in 2 pieces. I domt space my Aliens and they usually are 3mm, and a width of 6mm. I have lowered the wattage down to 55 to see if this helps anyway, i dont really recall this being an issue when i was running SS micro coils, but then i was using TCR and the wattage was a lot lower anyway. Im going to buy some SS alien wire to do this again and see if theres a difference but yes, this is regular, every couple of days cleaning.

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
can you post a photo of the coils?? it sounds like you bought a roll of "alien" wire that's sold on amazon, fasttech, etc. alien wire has usually 3-4 cores of round wire, with a smaller wrap claptoned on a separate core then pull off, stretched, and wrapped in reverse on the 3+ cores.. you can make a fralien which is the same process as above except you have 2 core wires framing a stack of ribbon..

what you have sounds more like a staple coil.. below is a photo of aliens..
19e5b250236e19438c612f7140bba4e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors