Become a Patron!

Alien kit kicking me off TC

SteelVaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been trying to use my smok alien mod to run temp control with a sigelei moonshot tank, I've been using 22ga titanium wire around a 2.5mm bit with 9 wraps at about 0.07 ohms, and every single time i try to run TC it goes to 170° F and then kicks me over to VW, i tried the same thing on my RX200S and got the same result, can anyone give me a little guidance? I'm not very good with rebuilding for TC but i wanna get into it.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The wire isn't really Ti???? probably something else miss labeled as such. Try different wire. check settings.

SteelVaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The wire isn't really Ti???? probably something else miss labeled as such. Try different wire. check settings.
It's a fresh spool by "lightning vapes" but I'll definitely try other wire, thanks a million!

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'd recommend getting SS wire instead. Ni and Ti wire aren't very good. super low resistance and only can be use din TC mode where SS wire can b used in either mode and the resistance is a little higher.

The other thing is make sure your screws are tight. and preferably use an atty that has grub screws

SteelVaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd recommend getting SS wire instead. Ni and Ti wire aren't very good. super low resistance and only can be use din TC mode where SS wire can b used in either mode and the resistance is a little higher.

The other thing is make sure your screws are tight. and preferably use an atty that has grub screws
I ordered some SS wire from lightning vapes, 22ga and i got 50' of it, so hopefully it'll be good to work with.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ordered some SS wire from lightning vapes, 22ga and i got 50' of it, so hopefully it'll be good to work with.

I personally enjoy using 26G SS 316L to work with, although this is usually for dual coils that come in around 0.25. I have kind of found this to be a sweet spot for TC, at least for me.

With the 22G, it seems you will hit around that resistance using a single coil, so hopefully the TC works well for you. I find SS TC can be a bit hit and miss unless I am using some mods. I don't have the Alien myself, but do have the H-Priv in the collection, and SS TC seems to be acceptable for me :).

If you have problems, (after making sure your TCR is correct), try a spaced coil if contact coils don't work well, or vice versa. I know with TC spaced coils are recommended anyway, but with SS I find it can depend which works best on which mod.

SteelVaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I personally enjoy using 26G SS 316L to work with, although this is usually for dual coils that come in around 0.25. I have kind of found this to be a sweet spot for TC, at least for me.

With the 22G, it seems you will hit around that resistance using a single coil, so hopefully the TC works well for you. I find SS TC can be a bit hit and miss unless I am using some mods. I don't have the Alien myself, but do have the H-Priv in the collection, and SS TC seems to be acceptable for me :).

If you have problems, (after making sure your TCR is correct), try a spaced coil if contact coils don't work well, or vice versa. I know with TC spaced coils are recommended anyway, but with SS I find it can depend which works best on which mod.
So spaced coils aren't REQUIRED to run TC? I've always thought it would only run with spaced coils for some reason, i guess because contact coils can have shorts and hot leads.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So spaced coils aren't REQUIRED to run TC? I've always thought it would only run with spaced coils for some reason, i guess because contact coils can have shorts and hot leads.

Spaced coils I have found are needed for running Ni and Ti smoothly, most definitely.

However, I have had varying results with SS 316L. On my DNA200's, I actually find contact coils to offer a more consistent TC experience for me.

As you probably know, TC works by measuring the increase in resistance of the wire you are using to regulate the temperature, with a spaced coil this should be even, so should be more consistent. I have had varying results though myself with SS in TC mode, and sometimes find contact coils to work better!

You have quite a lot of the wire coming, so I would experiment with it when it arrives to see which works best for you :)

SteelVaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Spaced coils I have found are needed for running Ni and Ti smoothly, most definitely.

However, I have had varying results with SS 316L. On my DNA200's, I actually find contact coils to offer a more consistent TC experience for me.

As you probably know, TC works by measuring the increase in resistance of the wire you are using to regulate the temperature, with a spaced coil this should be even, so should be more consistent. I have had varying results though myself with SS in TC mode, and sometimes find contact coils to work better!

You have quite a lot of the wire coming, so I would experiment with it when it arrives to see which works best for you :)
As long as i can dry fire SS without the extreme risks of dry firing associated with ni200 and titanium, i can get it pretty even, and hopefully make it run smoothly in TC, i plan on making dozens of different coils to see what runs best and what resistance gives me the vape i want, thanks for the help, cheers!

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
As long as i can dry fire SS without the extreme risks of dry firing associated with ni200 and titanium, i can get it pretty even, and hopefully make it run smoothly in TC, i plan on making dozens of different coils to see what runs best and what resistance gives me the vape i want, thanks for the help, cheers!

you can dry fire SS wire. it works like kenthal but is better in every way and can be used as TC wire

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Is it buttery like ni200 or stiff-ish like kanthal?

IDK what you are asking lol. Are you talking about the wire stiffness? it's similar to kenthal. much less fragile then ni200

SteelVaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IDK what you are asking lol. Are you talking about the wire stiffness? it's similar to kenthal. much less fragile then ni200
Yeah i mean like the wire stiffness, as in how hard it is to wrap.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yeah i mean like the wire stiffness, as in how hard it is to wrap.

SS is the same as kenthal pretty much. it isn't fragile and springy like Ni200. really nice and easy to wrap

VU Sponsors