Become a Patron!

Alien vs Predator

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I've had the Alien a couple of months now and the Predator a couple of weeks. These are my impressions of the two. I'll only give the positives. If I say I like something about one it will be because the other doesn't have that. I realize some are having issues with the Predator's 510 connection coming out so I'll start with the Alien.

Alien:
You don't have to worry that your 510 connection might come out.
I like that the fire button is on the right side of the screen. You fire with your thumb and look at the screen without having to flip the mod over (if you're right handed).
Aesthetically, IMO it is a very nice looking mod.
It has a fairly large easy to read screen, even for my old eyes.
The display records a large amount of information with each fire that stays displayed until the next fire.
I like that this mod isn't made by the Joyetech group of companies. I've not found them very good.
In the kit form, I like that there's an RBA available for the included tank.
Pushing the +/- buttons at the same time is equivalent to hitting fire 5 times, a nice shortcut.

Predator:
I like that the fire button is on the tank side. I like to have the tank on the bottom when I puff and I like to fire with my thumb. This fits me. It would be nice though if the screen was on the opposite side then. It would be totally accommodating then. The fire button should be on the right of the screen and the tank on the same side. (Neither mod has that)
I like that the battery compartment door is recessed the way it is. It's easy to close and well protected.
I like the built-in 2amp charger. I would rarely use it but it's nice to have it.
I like that you can add a custom logo. It's a little bit of customization that's nice.
Pushing the +/- buttons simultaneously locks the keys and prevents accidental setting changes.

I haven't played around with TC on either of the mods so I can't say anything about the features of each in this regard. Sorry.
IMO there's no clear winner but I would ever so slightly prefer the Alien. Obviously this preference would increase dramatically if my Predator's 510 connector comes out.

Last edited:

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My sister had an alien. It took a crap after a couple months. So she bought the predator and that took a crap within a week, so the shop exchanged it for another alien lol.

Personally I'm staying away from both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
You've gotta love that pic. BTW it's no coincidence that I called this topic by that name and it's no coincidence that Wismec called their Alien ripoff by that name either. You would think with the money Wismec saved on R&D they could have improved on the original but Predator is like a karaoke version of the Alien. It's kind of sad when you're doing bad karaoke of a crappy song.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't use a predator mod so can't comment on the tc. As far as the alien, eh, it pretty much sucks. I don't know what the issue is, if it doesn't poll the resistance/temp fast enough or pulse fast enough but it's like it builds up and ignores the temp setting. At least compared to an istick tc100w which is a cheap mod, comparing say 230F to 230F. The alien seems to way overshoot, then suddenly backs off. That's how tc is supposed to work but the alien backs off way too far almost like it's stopped firing, then whoosh, all the way back up and overshoots again. That's with a fairly low 35-40w setting in tc for ramp up (under power mode I'm currently running 55-60w so 35-40 is pretty modest for a .218 coil.

Each have their own preferences, for instance you like the fire button on the tank side. I prefer just the opposite, only because if I screw up the wicking (bound to happen sometimes) and my rta leaks a little I don't want the juice running down into the fire button. The little bit that leaks on occasion on my alien I can catch it before it reaches the button and wipe it off.

Knock on wood but so far my alien's doing well. I've had it 4-5mo now without any issues other than the quirky tc. Others warned that tc wasn't that great on the alien, I took it to mean compared to like a nice yihi, dna or fsk mod. I was fine with that, my cheapy istick's tc was ok enough for me. Figured that's what I could expect from the alien but nope. Kind of sad considering the istick was 25% cheaper.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
OK
The verdict is in. The battle is over. The Alien, who is two months older has defeated the Predator. The Predator at five months old now just lies there flashing "Atomizer Short" with every tank and spitting out incorrect resistances. Ah, he was a beauty with a nice finish but inside he was weak. Equiped by Wismec the maker of other crap like eLeaf and Joyetech he wasn't up to the challenge. Bad genes brought him down. Should we bring the iKonn to the ring? Oh he tries so hard to even look like the Alien. Why bother? He has the same weak genetics as his Predator cousin. Maybe a Battlestar.....Charon.......Surely a Battlestar can defeat an Alien...call the fight promoters!

Last edited:

Chum

Member For 5 Years
I own both mods and prefer the Alien (I do not use TC).
1. Alien, for some reason, has much longer battery life (at least 100 puffs!)
2. Alien looks better
3. Alien retains info on the screen until next draw
4. Alien menu easier to navigate

VU Sponsors