Become a Patron!

All Things TFA

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You posted the pomberry trinkets yes? I upped the red hots to 7% and decreased cranberry to 2% (personal tastes & all). Very Very Good! :)

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't like bitter, prefer juicy and tart! Like spicy red hots! We are all different. Funny thing is I can't tolerate spicy foods. I am just odd!

EWS111

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone know of a good descriptive flavor reviews for TFA flavors??

So far I've only found spreadsheets that show recommended range of concentrations and description of the differences in the various versions of the same flavor.

What I'm looking for is something like the excellent reviews HIC has provided on FA Flavors! As an example; it was extremely helpful to me when HIC spelled out the differences in the 3 different versions of FA Vanilla! That information wasn't available from FA or their vendors!

Since TFA has even more versions of the same basic flavor than FA, it's really needed! as an example, they have 4 different versions of blueberry, how are they different???

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does anyone know of a good descriptive flavor reviews for TFA flavors??

So far I've only found spreadsheets that show recommended range of concentrations and description of the differences in the various versions of the same flavor.

What I'm looking for is something like the excellent reviews HIC has provided on FA Flavors! As an example; it was extremely helpful to me when HIC spelled out the differences in the 3 different versions of FA Vanilla! That information wasn't available from FA or their vendors!

Since TFA has even more versions of the same basic flavor than FA, it's really needed! as an example, they have 4 different versions of blueberry, how are they different???

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

http://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/2ehekc/master_flavor_reviews_and_tasting_notes/

This is all I have found. Botboy compiled a list of different flavors from different venders. Not all flavors are in their...but scroll through entire reviews...blueberry extra & wild mentioned in there.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Blueberry wild is like a true blueberry fruit to me.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
TFA Strawberry to me tastes like the ideal strawberry quik syrup would, but I like sweeter things than most.
TFA Coconut (regular not extra) I love for mixing with things, it doesn't have the fake flavor that Capella's coconut does.

The shop I work for ordered a bunch of new TFA flavors for me to work with, so far the only things I'm not keen on are the Cranberry - which is listed as natural flavor and ETOH, which it just seems really really really dry to me; and the pumpkin spice which so far all I can taste is spice.

I LOVE LOVE their KY bourbon its a deepening flavor for me, I can add it to things I'd never think of and end up with a deep, yet smooth flavor.
Hey Frawg, which strawberry tfa are fa speaking of here? I have both and notice the scent difference from bottle sniffing...ripe smells strawberry. I tried both at 10 % w/o steeping and I just get a sweet taste? Do I need to steep these? Use less or more flavor? Which one gives you the strawberry quick taste and at what % if you don't mind giving your feedback?

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ripe strawberry smells like earth and a hint of a very unripe strawberry to me. It tastes heavenly with other things, not so great on its own. Don't put it with peach whatever you do.

the TFA strawberry (no other name) with TFA dairy/milk or sweetcream at 10% each makes a nice strawberry quik type flavor to me. Sort of strawberry milk but not quite, I prefer Flavor West's whipped cream to any other creams from TFA (so far).

I can say the recipe I tried that invoked the don't put ripe strawberry with peach..it's one of my "don't do this, I don't know what I broke but ow," recipes.

Actually here are 2 TFA recipes that just fail miserably
(These are mls base on a 15ml bottle - the shop flavors at 20% standard so I'm used to this math)
Attempted flavor: Strawberry & Creme Donut:
2ml TFA Frosted Donut
.5ml TFA Ripe Strawberry
.5ml TFA Sweet Cream

Result: Strawberry bacon. It's a great vape. It is NOT a donut, not by a long shot. It is however one of the best bacon flavor vapes I've had. The TFA frosted donut is ok in other things, but not this. Strawberry bacon. Not bad, just not what I was intending.

Attempted flavor: Strawberries, Peaches & Fresh Cream
Same mls based on 15ml bottle
1ml TFA Ripe Strawberry
1ml TFA Peach, or juicy peach or FW Peach (oddly I get the same result with all 3, but Capella's gives a different flavor)
.5ml TFA Sweet Cream
.5ml FW Whipped Cream (or TFA Dairy/milk flavor)
Result: Strawberry...peaches and...crayon. NO really. This tastes even after 45 days steeping like strawberry & peach flavored crayon. Crayola crayon shavings...no I didn't really eat them for comparison but its the best it tastes like crayola crayon shavings smell. Waxy. Blargh.

I don't miss often...sometimes I miss really really really horribly.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK since I'm on a roll of really bad things to do with TFA flavors I'll give a couple more that I tried and I can't get right. Most are total TFA or close to total TFA/FW blends. Things I'd like to undo if I could but would rather fix and am not on the right track to do it apparently.

All my measurements are milliliters based on a 15ml bottle - assume 20% total or very close to it.
Attempt #1 Pumpkin Spice Latte
1ml TFA Pumpkin spice (way overkill)
.75ml mocha (we used FW both for v1 & v2, we're just now getting to the TFA bottle, it tastes nearly identical to me straight so I don't see this changing it)
0.50 ml TFA Sweet Cream
0.25 ml TFA Bavarian Cream or FW Whipped cream
0.25ml TFA Brown Sugar (formerly brown sugar extra)
0.25ml FW or CA marshmallow - to me taste is similar but not exact. It didn't help to switch.

Result #1 - Creamy clove-y I can't feel my mouth, well now I can use that for dental pain. After 2 weeks the it turned from clove-y to just plain awful. I think transmission fluid smells better than this after 2 weeks.

Attempt #2 Pumpkin Spice Latte
1.25ml TFA Pumpkin
0.40 ml TFA Yam
0.50 ml TFA Cappuccino
0.25 ml FW whipped cream or TFA Bavarian Cream
0.25 ml TFA Sweet Cream
0.10 ml TFA Pumpkin Spice (closer to right)
0.10 ml TFA Holiday Spice
0.25 ml FW Marshmallow
1 drop AP

Result #2 - Uh NO. Not just no but hell no. I'm sure there's a happy vegan somewhere who might like this. It tastes like uncooked, spiced, creamed winter squash. Not at all like a latte, not at all like a pumpkin pie, but more like uncooked raw pumpkin or uncooked raw squash. *shudder* no thank you.

Attempt: A strong citrus blend I knew would eat plastic - yeah it does that.
.75ml each: TFA Key Lime, Orange Mandarin, Lemon, (and FW Ruby Red Grapefruit) - result - tastes like lemon pledge furniture polish. I'm sure it'll destroy a plastic tank in under a minute. We didn't test that theory.

Like I said I've nailed a lot of great recipes. These aren't it. Doesn't seem to matter what substitutes I make they suck.

Good idea...some are better than others, some are just gag-inducing.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
i am dying laughin here, Frawg.. :)
sounds like you have had the same adventures i have, just different flavors and percentages. :p

what ever you do.. that cappuccino flavor?? do not go above .5%!!! burnt tires that have been licked! mhmm..

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK since I'm on a roll of really bad things to do with TFA flavors I'll give a couple more that I tried and I can't get right. Most are total TFA or close to total TFA/FW blends. Things I'd like to undo if I could but would rather fix and am not on the right track to do it apparently.

All my measurements are milliliters based on a 15ml bottle - assume 20% total or very close to it.
Attempt #1 Pumpkin Spice Latte
1ml TFA Pumpkin spice (way overkill)
.75ml mocha (we used FW both for v1 & v2, we're just now getting to the TFA bottle, it tastes nearly identical to me straight so I don't see this changing it)
0.50 ml TFA Sweet Cream
0.25 ml TFA Bavarian Cream or FW Whipped cream
0.25ml TFA Brown Sugar (formerly brown sugar extra)
0.25ml FW or CA marshmallow - to me taste is similar but not exact. It didn't help to switch.

Result #1 - Creamy clove-y I can't feel my mouth, well now I can use that for dental pain. After 2 weeks the it turned from clove-y to just plain awful. I think transmission fluid smells better than this after 2 weeks.

Attempt #2 Pumpkin Spice Latte
1.25ml TFA Pumpkin
0.40 ml TFA Yam
0.50 ml TFA Cappuccino
0.25 ml FW whipped cream or TFA Bavarian Cream
0.25 ml TFA Sweet Cream
0.10 ml TFA Pumpkin Spice (closer to right)
0.10 ml TFA Holiday Spice
0.25 ml FW Marshmallow
1 drop AP

Result #2 - Uh NO. Not just no but hell no. I'm sure there's a happy vegan somewhere who might like this. It tastes like uncooked, spiced, creamed winter squash. Not at all like a latte, not at all like a pumpkin pie, but more like uncooked raw pumpkin or uncooked raw squash. *shudder* no thank you.

Attempt: A strong citrus blend I knew would eat plastic - yeah it does that.
.75ml each: TFA Key Lime, Orange Mandarin, Lemon, (and FW Ruby Red Grapefruit) - result - tastes like lemon pledge furniture polish. I'm sure it'll destroy a plastic tank in under a minute. We didn't test that theory.

Like I said I've nailed a lot of great recipes. These aren't it. Doesn't seem to matter what substitutes I make they suck.

Good idea...some are better than others, some are just gag-inducing.
Aww, frawg thanks so much for the info. I need to get me some lemon juice & try Smokys suggestion. Happy Gobble Gobbling Day!!!

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
Blueberry wild is like a true blueberry fruit to me.

I wish I wouldve known that a couple weeks ago when I ordered mine from Wizard haha! I bought the Blueberry Candy PG but they sent me the one with Triacetin in it, mixed up a 10ml batch then watched my glass bottle get cloudy and milky.. You go tank crackers, the specific reason I ordered the PG version. Yay now Ive got 10ml of Blueberry Candy mixed in with some melted plastic from the syringe I used to mix it heh.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just received an order including TFA Watermelon Candy. I already have and use TFA Watermelon. I can not tell the difference between the two!! Do they have the exact same flavor profile except one is sweeter perhaps? Or did the reseller possibly make a mistake and bottle up watermelon instead of watermelon candy. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
First time poster, like the info here :)

Ordering my second batch from TFA today. Had some great planned successes and a few unplanned via some free testers they sent along

1. Orange Creamsicle - 10% OC + 4% French Vanilla +3% Ethyl Maltol (EM), +1% Stevia extract (soluble part only lol)

Tempted to play around with Ethyl Vanilin on the next attempt. This is a rock-solid, true to life flavor. Do not judge any of these without proper steeping

2. Fruit Circles 7% + 7% Rainbow Drops (Skittle flavour) +1-2% of Orange Cream to round it out. +2% EM +2% Filtered Lemon Juice [edit]

3. Red Licorice (tester) - Mixed at 10% with just EM and VG. Very true to Red twizzler taste.

4. Black Cherry - still haven't got this to work right. Believe I'm down to 2% after 3+ weeks of steeping and still is too powerful for a base, and the notes over run anything delicate. Might go 1% and 10% various vanillas ... have French, Swirl, EV and think I'll make some homemade PGA from pods

Mixing advice:

Steep single flavours then try mixing various ratios afterwards. Think dripper and changing wicks could give best unadulterated flavour. Some obvious stuff you can start mixed together then adjust a little with the smaller base bottles :)

Use brown glass bottles (old rum works well) It only goes into plastic before I'm vaping. Many hardeners in plastic are indeed soluble :p

(new stuff) Buying today:

2 Rootbeers (they have a new one). Don't have much intel on this, but I will try and get one / both / blend to work out. Will use some Vanilla Swirl I think....

Key Lime
Wild Blueberry
EV
2 Sampler packs (Smokey, Thirst Quencher)
+ whatever samples they toss in :)

Anyone have a good bulk EM supplier? TFA only sells 4oz bottles for $15 :(

HAPPY VAPING!!

Last edited:

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
Well damn lol. I spoke with a sales rep and did a full site search. The guy who responded was from tPA and not tFA

tPA indeed has 32oz, and a decent price too. Ah well, think I'm going to try a kg later via alibaba.

Making 26oz batches, and use a fair bit of EM with the fruit flavours. Thx for the headsup

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
[Most of these are at week 3 of steeping]

TFA Key Lime @ 8% (edit) Tried after 3 weeks and 3% filtered lime juice. Fake 'soapy' flavour is gone now and it is quite nice.

TFA Rootbeers are the same. Original is missing some vital RB notes, the Triacetin one has far too much black licorice taste

TFA Wild Blueberry - very subtle flavour, but quite accurate. Nice and clear. Haven't noticed much difference between 7% and 15% mix

TFA Mild Black @5% - requires weeks (4+) to balance and intensify some notes, but the wait is worth it. Amazing!

TFA Honey Black - just dark honey flavour (use as small addition, very strong)

TFA RY4 Double - seems very mild to me @ 5%. Perhaps it's my 80% VG mix lol. Works well as a base for TFA Turkish or another overpowered flavour

TFA French Vanilla Cream (reworked) - smells like butterscotch, will try solo to see.

Attempting a 'NIBS' with the 9% Red Licorice + 3% Black Cherry

The odd winner: Black Forest (Devil's Food) [250ml batch]

6.5% Fudge Brownie
4% Black Cherry
2-3% Orange Cream
2% French Vanilla

1 tsp EM
1 tsp EV
10ml saline (0.09% injectible)

Last edited:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Count, you do know that TFA & TPA are the same place, right? TFA is the flavor section of TPA. If you do know this already, please disregard, lol.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My favorite TFA flavors are Pomegranate Deluxe (wonderful), Blueberry Wild (most realistic blueberry I've tried thus far), Vanilla Swirl, Strawberry Ripe, Peanut Butter (this is tricky though, percentage wise), Dragonfruit, Hpno, Black Currant, Juicy Peach

Space Jam Andromeda Clone
4% Vanillan
4% Blueberry Candy (or Blueberry Wild, or any other blueberry)
2% Pomegranate Deluxe

No idea if it tastes like the name brand juice but it's delicious.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
First time poster, like the info here :)

Ordering my second batch from TFA today. Had some great planned successes and a few unplanned via some free testers they sent along

1. Orange Creamsicle - 10% OC + 4% French Vanilla +3% Ethyl Maltol (EM), +1% Stevia extract (soluble part only lol)

Tempted to play around with Ethyl Vanilin on the next attempt. This is a rock-solid, true to life flavor. Do not judge any of these without proper steeping

2. Fruit Circles 7% + 7% Rainbow Drops (Skittle flavour) +1-2% of Orange Cream to round it out. +2% EM +2% Filtered Lemon Juice [edit]

3. Red Licorice (tester) - Mixed at 10% with just EM and VG. Very true to Red twizzler taste.

4. Black Cherry - still haven't got this to work right. Believe I'm down to 2% after 3+ weeks of steeping and still is too powerful for a base, and the notes over run anything delicate. Might go 1% and 10% various vanillas ... have French, Swirl, EV and think I'll make some homemade PGA from pods

Mixing advice:

Steep single flavours then try mixing various ratios afterwards. Think dripper and changing wicks could give best unadulterated flavour. Some obvious stuff you can start mixed together then adjust a little with the smaller base bottles :)

Use brown glass bottles (old rum works well) It only goes into plastic before I'm vaping. Many hardeners in plastic are indeed soluble :p

(new stuff) Buying today:

2 Rootbeers (they have a new one). Don't have much intel on this, but I will try and get one / both / blend to work out. Will use some Vanilla Swirl I think....

Key Lime
Wild Blueberry
EV
2 Sampler packs (Smokey, Thirst Quencher)
+ whatever samples they toss in :)

Anyone have a good bulk EM supplier? TFA only sells 4oz bottles for $15 :(

HAPPY VAPING!!

CV, Thanks for all this info. I have a question about this statement from your post:

"Mixing advice: Steep single flavours then try mixing various ratios afterwards. Think dripper and changing wicks could give best unadulterated flavour. Some obvious stuff you can start mixed together then adjust a little with the smaller base bottles :)"

Do you find that when you mix pre-steeped single flavors your combinations need less overall steep time? I'm assuming you've mixed them up in a nicotinated base, though maybe I'm wrong about that. You could conceivably mix up small test batches directly into a tank and vape immediately with flavors that normally require some melding time.

I'm asking because I happen to have a bunch of pre-steeped (and prenic'd) single TFA (and FA) flavors that I got from a vendor as part of a barter. When I asked for my juice in single-flavor form (as opposed to premixed blends he offers) I was thinking it would be a good way for me to take a tiny step toward DIY without having to do most of the mixing myself--or the waiting, in terms of maturation. I've only done limited experimenting in this way so far but I seem to have varying results as far as whether a thing is good immediately or needs some time.

Does anybody mix this way as a matter of convenience? Other than the "milk stone" and "fruit stone" recipes I've come across on reddit, I have never seen anyone (until now) talk about it. And my comments/questions about it on ECF weren't very well received. It seems to offend some people's sensibilities. But since I do have all these bottles of premixed single flavor--and am not quite ready to fully delve into DIY --I will be making combinations in this way for a while yet.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not completely sure what you're saying, but let me give this a try! I do presteep Caps Vanilla custard, because it needs a good long time to mature. I don't, however, pre-steep any other single flavors, but I use mainly FA at low percentages and they don't seem to need steeping. And, yes, if I add the caps custard into a more complex mix it needs less steep time overall.

I do, however, make bases for some more complex juices. And the flavors aren't affected at all until they go into the nic base, but it just makes it easier to add - say - 8% of one flavor rather than a whole bunch of smaller flavors (if that makes sense).

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
I premix quite a bit, usually at higher flavour concentrations, then I can play around with dilution.

There are spreadsheets around to give a ballpark, since TFA can be wildly different on what % will produce a nice taste, or an incredibly bad taste

Quite a few TFA need time to mellow. Ethyl Maltol can help to do that too, but potentially takes the brightness from some too :/

I rarely bother making small batches of anything, unless they are samples I have ordered. With those, I can use them after 2-3 weeks for 4ml blend testers trying differing %s of each together to experiment with :)

Tobacco flavors seem to take a long time to mature as well.

I suppose some flavors could become muted over time ... since they are all very long-chain organic molecules and will break down

Adding pre-steeped to new juice does seem to speed up the process time. Not sure on the chemistry of that, as it must be something other than oxidization or breakdown from UV / blue light (wild guess would be enzyme or microbe)

Last edited:

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not completely sure what you're saying, but let me give this a try! I do presteep Caps Vanilla custard, because it needs a good long time to mature. I don't, however, pre-steep any other single flavors, but I use mainly FA at low percentages and they don't seem to need steeping. And, yes, if I add the caps custard into a more complex mix it needs less steep time overall.

Yes, this is what I was asking about, though I was wondering also, specifically, if anybody thinks premixing single flavors in your preferred nicotinated base as a general practice--and then mixing complex flavors from there--is a viable or preferable way to mix. It's clearly not the norm.. I can see. And I suppose for it to really work well, you'd have to have a working knowledge of what flavor percentages for each flavor work best. Currently, all my flavors are mixed across the board at 30%. (Luckily I have some unflavored nic'd base for dilution--and adding this definitely increases maturation time) But if I had them premixed at just the right flavor percentages for each flavor and didn't need to dilute...or if I knew by heart what percentage I liked best for each flavor, i could, I'm imagining, just sit at my kitchen table with a bunch of bottles to make up test mixtures with no mess, no syringes... (I have an extremely limited space available to me at present). Then again, it would be a pain to codify...
Anyway, thanks for the response. I am mostly just curious to hear whether other people have tried this type of mixing and what the results have been. I do plan to move on to the 'regular" way of DIY--adding flavor concentrates into base, or adding all ingredients at one time together, to make recipes.

I do, however, make bases for some more complex juices. And the flavors aren't affected at all until they go into the nic base, but it just makes it easier to add - say - 8% of one flavor rather than a whole bunch of smaller flavors (if that makes sense).

I have been reading about this method, too--several posters in this forum have mentioned it as an easier way to make complex recipes--and I like this idea a lot. I just have to find a recipe I like enough to make a "flavoring batch" for, and that is still down the road a little. :)

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I premix quite a bit, usually at higher flavour concentrations, then I can play around with dilution.

There are spreadsheets around to give a ballpark, since TFA can be wildly different on what % will produce a nice taste, or an incredibly bad taste

Quite a few TFA need time to mellow. Ethyl Maltol can help to do that too, but potentially takes the brightness from some too :/

I rarely bother making small batches of anything, unless they are samples I have ordered. With those, I can use them after 2-3 weeks for 4ml blend testers trying differing %s of each together to experiment with :)

Tobacco flavors seem to take a long time to mature as well.

I suppose some flavors could become muted over time ... since they are all very long-chain organic molecules and will break down

Adding pre-steeped to new juice does seem to speed up the process time. Not sure on the chemistry of that, as it must be something other than oxidization or breakdown from UV / blue light (wild guess would be enzyme or microbe)

Thanks for replying, CV. When you say you mix at higher flavor concentrations, i'm guessing you mean you mix them at the highest flavoring concentration that you happen to know a particular flavor might be good at? As I said in my reply to Amanda's posts, above, my flavors are all mixed at 30%. (I thought I'd get the most bang for my buck and that I could always dilute them..).

One thing I'm wondering:

-> Is what I have (assuming it is actually 30% flavoring as the vendor says) pretty much the same, functionally speaking, as having a bunch of 1/3rd strength flavor concentrates? Does it make sense, if, say, I have all the flavors for a recipe, to triple the flavor percentages given and add those to the base liquid?

I think this makes sense?

ps: uggh..unfortunately, I am challenged by even simple math. :/

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think you'll run into problems doing this. For instance, I mixed my last batch of Capella's vanilla custard at 10% in 6mg of nic. Now the recipe I am just using requires 5%. Fine - cut it in half - but the nic? See where I'm going with this? Also 30% is very high in general, and it's likely in the future that your flavoring levels will be reduced. But there's no harm in trying - just be sure you make small amounts :)

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yes, I see what you mean about the variables piling up and making things unnecessarily confusing, although when I dilute the 30% (and i do!), I do so with unflavored nic base made at the same nic percentage as my juices/flavors, so I believe it remains more or less consistent. I will stick to small amounts, for sure. I'm only mixing for myself (well, obviously..lol) and just a tankful at a time. I take notes about what flavors seem to go well together and so on.

I'm basically just using up these forty 30ml bottles of ejuice I have and then will probably leave this process mostly behind. But I may as well learn a little something in the meantime. Messing around in this way, with a half-assed style of note-taking i have, does not net me any recipes, per se, but it does give me ideas :)

VU Sponsors