Become a Patron!

Allergic skin reaction to vapor... really?

VapingCuban

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
According to someone I was talking to the reason for the company wide email sent related to employees not allowed to vape in the retail store or corporate offices was because someone in the corporate office got an allergic skin reaction to second hand vapor. Really? Wtf!

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was this guy walking around without cloths on or something? In all my years of vaping I've never heard of this kind of reaction.. this guy is full of shit!

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There's a girl that comes in my shop that swears that she is allergic to strawberry. She will ask as soon as she walks in if any of us are vaping a strawberry flavor, she said that the second vapor from it HAS given her an allergic reaction in the past. I have no idea how true this is though.

Gonzi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There's a girl that comes in my shop that swears that she is allergic to strawberry. She will ask as soon as she walks in if any of us are vaping a strawberry flavor, she said that the second vapor from it HAS given her an allergic reaction in the past. I have no idea how true this is though.
My wife's cousin is highly allergic to strawberries and red food coloring. If she is in the same room as anything with strawberries in it or even strawberry syrup, she starts getting hives and her throat starts swelling. I've never vaped strawberry, as I don't favor fruity vapes, but if I did, I sure would never do it anywhere near to her.

Tripster

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have been keeping an eye on my bodies ability to handle nic since I started vaping since I suffer from an extremely rare medical condition called Cholinergic Urticaria With Acquired Generalized Hypohidrosis (say that 10 times fast) and so far vaping does nothing...why do I bring this up in this thread...well, my condition involves breaking out in hives head to toe instantaneously and my partial inability to sweat. So, what I'm saying is that my body is uber sensitive and I'm basically allergic to life itself. I'm not saying that humans can't have allergic reactions to exhaled vapor (despise the term "Second Hand") but just stating that I'm uber sensitive to life and vaping hasn't affected my medical condition whatsoever.

Oh yeah, since I started vaping...it would seem if 24mg nic level is somewhat aiding certain symptoms of my medical condition while smoking analogs aided in increasing symptoms of my medical condition (odd...I know, I am extremely great at observing).

I am not a scientist, allergist, and or dermatologist.

Just my $0.02 even if it doesn't hold any merit.

Reactions: Ace

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Granted I think that claim is BS.

But I do have an open mind.

So I am going to do an experiment and in a few minutes I am going to go all natural and vape my head off for a few hours.

Before and after pictures will be provided later:eek:

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We will totally take your word for it....REALLY! !
Granted I think that claim is BS.

But I do have an open mind.

So I am going to do an experiment and in a few minutes I am going to go all natural and vape my head off for a few hours.

Before and after pictures will be provided later:eek:

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You're right @Ace, my boss was vaping some vanilla from Tasty Vapor that I had given him. My partner (work partner you sickos) started having severe anaphylactic reactions. I had to administer epi and transport her to the hospital. Neither my boss or I had known about her allergy prior to this event, and the subject just had not come up. So, she doesn't blame us for it, just because that fact. But I am really careful to never have vanilla, creams, or custard note liquids. I don't even use them at home because I don't want the chance for a small amount of cross contamination to have the smallest possibility of affecting her again. It was scary enough the first time! So yeah, this does happen and I KNOW first hand! However, it's something to be mindful of and why we, as vaporers, should be mindful of others as we vape.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
We will totally take your word for it....REALLY! !

I am a vaper first and foremost and I really don't mind sharing with my VU family.

For some severe testing I loaded up my KFL with Orange Vines from Bulk E-Juice (orange and licorice) and started vaping.

My "Weenie" does not seem to like it but other than that all is OK at the moment:D

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well after reading these posts It's possible the claim of being allergic to second hand Vape is possible. I feel like an ass for saying the person was full of shit. My bad.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well after reading these posts It's possible the claim of being allergic to second hand Vape is possible. I feel like an ass for saying the person was full of shit. My bad.
Don't feel like an ass. We typically think of PG/VG as inert and hypoallergenic. However, in my case, it was the flavorings that caused the reaction. Some people are sensitive to PG and some have claimed heavier chest congestion with VG. EVERYBODY is different and reacts differently to different substances. It's a defence mechanism ingrained into our DNA to prevent the eradication of the species. Just remember this, even water is toxic in certain amounts.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Remember, it is still very possible that person is COMPLETELY full of shit. And if that 2112 in your name means you're a Rush fan then I'd give you a pass anyway.

Joshua McCord

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
This sounds completely feasible to me - not confirmed, but possible. I mean, people can get a rash and have a full-blown histemic reaction to the wrong perfume - so why not vapor? People do have allergic reactions to firsthand vapor, is secondhand such a stretch?

I know the PG in the air at VapeBash was messing with me.

Tripster

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also, you gotta remember that PG/VG isn't the same (formula wise). I am allergic to PG yet this juice is 50/50 and I am having absolutely no allergic reactions to this PG. I am dumbfounded by why I'm not having any symptoms from this juice that has PG in it!

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Remember, it is still very possible that person is COMPLETELY full of shit. And if that 2112 in your name means you're a Rush fan then I'd give you a pass anyway.
@Ace, I see you're politically correct as usual! Lol

VU Sponsors