Become a Patron!

Altus Coil-Less tank bu GUO No More Buying Coils !

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Thanks for the exceptionally detailed response! I think what kills it for me (other than when testing mods and writing reviews), is that I vape exclusively with TC now. If it doesn't work for well for TC then it very likely won't work for me. Just about the only time I use anything other than TC is when I am writing a review, as I have to test the equipment fully so as to ensure I have thoroughly attempted to find any issues or concerns with the product. I may try to find some and play with it a little, but I don't foresee it becoming a big part of my vaping repertoire.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the exceptionally detailed response! I think what kills it for me (other than when testing mods and writing reviews), is that I vape exclusively with TC now. If it doesn't work for well for TC then it very likely won't work for me. Just about the only time I use anything other than TC is when I am writing a review, as I have to test the equipment fully so as to ensure I have thoroughly attempted to find any issues or concerns with the product. I may try to find some and play with it a little, but I don't foresee it becoming a big part of my vaping repertoire.

As a footnote, I think it's a the perfect media for high power builds. But it requires a rather tight relationship of the coil to the wick diameter. There is 3mm and 4mm ceramic but I don't think a 3.5mm Ø is necessarily great for either, for example. And winds have gotten bigger along with the horsepower. Still, I think Nextel can perform right up there if you design for the media. How far up haven't gone much beyond 100W. Not my game. If you want to build clouds based on vapor density you can't beat this media. That was my point. Likewise, it will work with any device but as you should go spaced rather than closed coil with TC you lose the potential of concentrating power to a limited wetted surface area. Can I see using it in a really wide environment like now popular two-least heads? Sure, it'll work in any kind of wind you're using. Just not making the best advantage of it's flow. Will it diffuse like cotton? Look at my pic above which was no more than 25W as I recall. You betcha. And survive the experience.

Thanks for the nod DA.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Thanks for all the useful info! I tend to go old school, single coil, TC at ~420-450 degrees. My wrap is "usually" SS-316L, 3mm id, 5 wrap ... comes out around .45-.48 ohms and is perfect for my style. Currently wicking with Rayon because I find the flavor better than with cotton, but always open to try new wicking materials if they show promise. I'm not really into the big cloud scene, more the flavor chasing group.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mostly vape tobacco's Dev which I'm really fond of at <25W mostly. Others I've pushed out to 100+W but most of my devices are matched to the mech standard 7-8 on 24awg or <65W. When in the mood I'll go clouds on an 60+box but it can't be at the expense of flavor. And heat drastically reduces taste. Don't want to have that debate — I love my coffee when it's boiling. I'm into the variety of flavors and textures available so vapin' vg to make an impression's not gonna do for me. Not sayin' anything wrong with that unless your need drives you to unnecessary risk. Still your choice, I say.

Tell ya what. Not gonna put down rayon. Some situations where it's really great, perhaps even better. But in my experience it tends to lag with complex richly pigmented juices. So does cotton. All synth's do too if they're at all tight in their weave. But Nextel's ceramic is a damn slick, non-stick, magic trick so you can literally blow accumulation out with a few warm dry/drier pulses and you're back in biz. Rayon's a close second to ceramic for diffusion builds. Needs to be wicked thick to keep up. Downside is it's easy to miss the mark and over tighten. Use all three and I can't say I have a favorite. But there are ideals for the kind of juice/vape/wind/device you're using. Can tell you that categorically pound-for-pound ceramic and contact winds are the most capable IME for the raw power efficiency. Why they are pushed to the curb? That's somethin y'all gotta sort out. And most won't 'cause we all tend to repeat the reported pleasant experiences of those around us.

So we do everyone around us a favor when we report accurately and impartially what we find. And straight up effective is the best way to get 'em there. What's bangin' for us this moment maybe awesome but you gotta stand before you can skip.

Here's mine. The kind of consistent precision typical of a tensioned pin vise wind that even a newb can get in 30 seconds…

IMG_1699a.jpg

Now turns in perfect harmony uniform insulating oxidation happens without much assistance with a few low voltage pulses. Couple that with a non-scorching wick that matches it exactly for the desired vapor volume and you have some impressive results, 32-22 AWG.

Good luck all, Dev. :)

VU Sponsors