Become a Patron!

Aluminum vs. Copper

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What are the differences between an aluminum tube and a copper tube? VGOD Pro Mechs come in both.

Thank you!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
umm one is aluminum and one is copper?
If the alum one is anodized it will need far less maintenance, however anodizing does cause a bit of voltage drop if the threads are anodized.
Plus copper is a much better conductor of electricity.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
umm one is aluminum and one is copper?
If the alum one is anodized it will need far less maintenance, however anodizing does cause a bit of voltage drop if the threads are anodized.
Plus copper is a much better conductor of electricity.
I was asking if I need to approach it differently if it's aluminum vs copper and why I would choose one over the other.

Copper may have less voltage drop than aluminum...with hybrid that may be old news.

Copper will tarnish and require more regular cleaning.

Aluminum threads are prone to stripping if not careful and on the other hand copper isn't all that durable if dropped.

That about sums it up...coin toss really either way.

Myself went with a brass limitless, stainless Kennedy and a cerakoted copper rig v2. Can't tell the difference in any of them

Brass seems to be more durable and the cerakote keeps the matience down a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Copper may have less voltage drop than aluminum...with hybrid that may be old news.

Copper will tarnish and require more regular cleaning.

Aluminum threads are prone to stripping if not careful and on the other hand copper isn't all that durable if dropped.

That about sums it up...coin toss really either way.

Myself went with a brass limitless and a cerakoted copper rig v2.

Brass seems to be more durable and the cerakote keeps the matience down a bit

Thanks, bOOm! That is what I wanted to know.

No worries glad I could help, if your going to take it with you out and about I'd suggest stainless or maybe brass....copper to me is a house mod that won't be dropped on the concrete

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No worries glad I could help, if your going to take it with you out and about I'd suggest stainless or maybe brass....copper to me is a house mod that won't be dropped on the concrete

Thanks! I decided to go with the aluminum (/black) version. :) It certainly looks hot!

VGOD Pro Mech Aluminum.png

I assume you already know this but make sure you use a hybrid safe RDA with that tube...good choice and enjoy!

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I assume you already know this but make sure you use a hybrid safe RDA with that tube...good choice and enjoy!

Thanks so much! Yes, I'm going with the VGOD Pro Drip RDA (which I figure is the best choice to pair with the VGOD Pro Mech).

ProDripitem.png

Last edited:

GratefulAlvin

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Aluminum won't do too well if dropped on concrete either, and there is a big difference between my rig v3 (alum) and my soi sz (copper) the battery seems to last longer in my sz, hit harder and just overall better experience with the copper tube mods.

Sevnofspades

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also with almost every mech mod, brass and copper carry a bigger price tag over aluminum. Its about budget, safety, knowledge and end result. Not necessarily in that order

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also with almost every mech mod, brass and copper carry a bigger price tag over aluminum. Its about budget, safety, knowledge and end result. Not necessarily in that order
Both the aluminum and copper versions are the same price with the VGOD mech. I purchased the aluminum, so I guess we'll see how it goes! I'll come back with my "findings" once I have vaped on the mech. ;)

Sevnofspades

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also, for me, in order to get a satisfying vape on a tube mod, I have to build low. Like .05 low. Some come from a regulated mod that at 80 watts and a .15-.2 will give you that warm powerful vape. You put a .2 in a tube mod, well I feel like I'm just breathing air

Sevnofspades

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Both the aluminum and copper versions are the same price with the VGOD mech. I purchased the aluminum, so I guess we'll see how it goes! I'll come back with my "findings" once I have vaped on the mech. ;)
Yea vgod is an exception to the general rule. Some mods can jump as much as 100 bucks when going from aluminum to brass or copper

Sevnofspades

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
By no means, no. Especially if its your first tube mod. Great price, hits pretty well and nice quality. I mean would my timekeeper or dominus hit harder, well yes. But those are also 300 bucks apiece. And I have to deal with all the polishing and cleaning of them.
Just find a build that best suites you and you'll def enjoy it!

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
By no means, no. Especially if its your first tube mod. Great price, hits pretty well and nice quality. I mean would my timekeeper or dominus hit harder, well yes. But those are also 300 bucks apiece. And I have to deal with all the polishing and cleaning of them.
Just find a build that best suites you and you'll def enjoy it!
Great. Thanks for your help! :) I'm definitely looking forward to getting it.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Give me some specs, wattage, coils, ohms etc. From that I can give you advice as to what kinda build you want to put in it
I have 10 mods, ranging from the Alien to my brand-new VGOD Pro 150. I have RDAs, RDTAs, RTAs and tanks with factory coils (like the Cloud Beast / King) and can do simple Clapton / Fused Clapton builds. I prefer to vape on dual coils at higher wattages for thick, dense clouds and good flavor. My usual ohms are between 0.15 and 0.25.

Sevnofspades

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Since I build low for my tube mods, I use either 22g ni80 with 4 wraps ohms out at .1ish or I use 22g twisted ni80 4 wraps which gets me to .07ish. But my ultimate rowdy build is 18g ss316 with 4 wraps. That ohms out at .04ish

Sevnofspades

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have 10 mods, ranging from the Alien to my brand-new VGOD Pro 150. I have RDAs, RDTAs, RTAs and tanks with factory coils (like the Cloud Beast / King) and can do simple Clapton / Fused Clapton builds. I prefer to vape on dual coils at higher wattages for thick, dense clouds and good flavor. My usual ohms are between 0.15 and 0.25.
Ok so your gonna have to build low to achieve that kinda think warm flavorful vape.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Since I build low for my tube mods, I use either 22g ni80 with 4 wraps ohms out at .1ish or I use 22g twisted ni80 4 wraps which gets me to .07ish. But my ultimate rowdy build is 18g ss316 with 4 wraps. That ohms out at .04ish
I will be putting the VGOD Pro Drip on my mech and currently have 26ga Kanthal A1 and 38ga Kanthal A1.

Sevnofspades

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would start at your .15 and go from there. Like I said, a .15 build on a mech tube mod is way different that a reg mod.
Kanthal I'm not to familiar with. I don't use it because of its ramp up time. To slow for my liking. My ss316 build is like straight rowdy, warm and flavor straight to my mouth hole and hits like mike tyson jacked up on coke

Sevnofspades

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
But remember, with low builds you have to be safe. Don't chain vape, use high quality batteries, know your ohms law etc. A tube mod can get hot pretty quick with low builds in them

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would start at your .15 and go from there. Like I said, a .15 build on a mech tube mod is way different that a reg mod.
Kanthal I'm not to familiar with. I don't use it because of its ramp up time. To slow for my liking. My ss316 build is like straight rowdy, warm and flavor straight to my mouth hole and hits like mike tyson jacked up on coke
Thanks! Maybe I'll pick up some ni80 in the future and give it a go. For now I'll just be using what I have, which is the Kanthal.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try a 3 core, 3mm 4 wrap. That will get you close to .11 ish
That sounds good, too, and it's similar to my usual choice of build which is 3 core, 3mm 5 wrap. I'll do 4 wraps and see how it goes.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You said not to chain vape, so how long in between puffs should I wait?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok so your gonna have to build low to achieve that kinda think warm flavorful vape.

Bullshit

You can get a very responsive very warm, thick flavorful vape between 0.15Ω - 0.2Ω build. Building super sub-ohm under 0.1Ω is not only unnecessary but dangerous.

Let this sink in, 0.00Ω is a dead short and the most accurate Ohm meter was USA Ohm Meters and their published variance was 0.018Ω.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Bullshit

You can get a very responsive very warm, thick flavorful vape between 0.15Ω - 0.2Ω build. Building super sub-ohm under 0.1Ω is not only unnecessary but dangerous.

Let this sink in, 0.00Ω is a dead short and the most accurate Ohm meter was USA Ohm Meters and their published variance was 0.018Ω.
Thanks for saying so, r055co. Knowing how to vape safely on my mech will come first before the first time I fire it up. If I'm not absolutely certain of what I'm doing I'm not going to do it.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for saying so, r055co. Knowing how to vape safely on my mech will come first before the first time I fire it up. If I'm not absolutely certain of what I'm doing I'm not going to do it.
My go to is SS fused claptons around 28g - 30g core wire with 38g - 40g wrapper. A lot with Mech's is balancing wire mass, for single battery Mech's I stick around 0.17Ω, parallel I'm around 0.15Ω. When I want to get really rowdy I'll use my series Mod's around 0.4Ω - 0.5Ω.

For me the key to a really thick flavorful vape is thin wrapping wire, that's why I stick between 38g-40g wrappers

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bullshit

A functional dead short is above 0 ohms as you cannot have no resistance in the path.
There will always be a little resistance.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My go to is SS fused claptons around 28g - 30g core wire with 38g - 40g wrapper. A lot with Mech's is balancing wire mass, for single battery Mech's I stick around 0.17Ω, parallel I'm around 0.15Ω. When I want to get really rowdy I'll use my series Mod's around 0.4Ω - 0.5Ω.

For me the key to a really thick flavorful vape is thin wrapping wire, that's why I stick between 38g-40g wrappers
Thank you for your help! It is a single 18650 mech so I'll go by the ohms that you are recommending.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now back on topic, Aluminum vs Copper. Myself I prefer copper, you do get a better response and smoother vape. It's not a huge difference but most can tell.
Here's a chart of the conductivity
https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/which-metals-conduct-electricity/
Thank you for your help! It is a single 18650 mech so I'll go by the ohms that you are recommending.

Insure you have good batteries, I highly recommend the Sony VTC5A's, 25a with 2600 mAh. They perform very well, actually they're Mooch's favorite 18650 and for good reason. Also be aware of how low you drain the batteries, you need to try not to go below 3.6V or 3.5V. You should easily be able to tell the difference but for the first month or so just pay attention to how low they get when you charge.

Any questions feel free to ping me

Cheers

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Now back on topic, Aluminum vs Copper. Myself I prefer copper, you do get a better response and smoother vape. It's not a huge difference but most can tell.
Here's a chart of the conductivity
https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/which-metals-conduct-electricity/

Insure you have good batteries, I highly recommend the Sony VTC5A's, 25a with 2600 mAh. They perform very well, actually they're Mooch's favorite 18650 and for good reason. Also be aware of how low you drain the batteries, you need to try not to go below 3.6V or 3.5V. You should easily be able to tell the difference but for the first month or so just pay attention to how low they get when you charge.

Any questions feel free to ping me

Cheers
Interesting chart! Good to know. If they are selling it in aluminum I'm guessing it is because it works fine in aluminum, so I'm not going to worry about it. Next time I'll probably going to go with copper, though, and see the difference for myself.

Sevnofspades

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Bullshit

So if you take a build say .15 on a reg device at 90 watts, then take that same build and put it on a tube mod, your gonna get a similar vape? Not even close. Its mostly subjective, but for me personally a .15 build (any material used) will not give me what I'm looking for out of a tube mod. Maybe I'm missing something. Please let me know.
Edit. I agree with getting good flavor. Its the temp of the vape that I am questioning

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So if you take a build say .15 on a reg device at 90 watts, then take that same build and put it on a tube mod, your gonna get a similar vape? Not even close. Its mostly subjective, but for me personally a .15 build (any material used) will not give me what I'm looking for out of a tube mod. Maybe I'm missing something. Please let me know.
It's all a balancing act, wire mass, resistance, etc.

Yes you're missing a few things ;)

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is my mech going to be in parallel or series? How can I tell?

VU Sponsors