Become a Patron!

Am I correct on the difference between a fused clapton and an alien clapton?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi everybody.

I tend to do most of my builds myself, but quite a while ago after seeing an alien clapton build video, I realised that was too far for me. Standard and fused clapton is the furthest I could go-the clockwise then counterclockwise wire had me.

Anyhow, I actually bought some 'Alien' Claptons, along with other types of coils I found to be a bit more difficult, and on inspection, they look like they have with my eyes: 2 Cores of kanthal, then are wrapped in a much higher gauge, and are very flat.

They do look different to the fused claptons I have, they are completely flat, and do seem to give a better vape.

The thing is-the don't have the wavy appearance of an alien clapton. But, I noticed that some coils that are sold on here either also do not seem to have the wavy pattern across the coil-so really, I just want to clarify exactly what an alien clapton actually IS?

Thanks everyone, Conan.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There's a company out there selling fused Claptons and calling them aliens. It pisses me off. I run a medium to high end coil business, and crap like that gives honest businesses like mine a bad rap.

A classic alien is 3 cores. The wavy pattern is created by making a regular Clapton wire, de-coring the outer wire, stretching it, and then re-applying it to the 3 core wires.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's a company out there selling fused Claptons and calling them aliens. It pisses me off. I run a medium to high end coil business, and crap like that gives honest businesses like mine a bad rap.

A classic alien is 3 cores. The wavy pattern is created by making a regular Clapton wire, de-coring the outer wire, stretching it, and then re-applying it to the 3 core wires.
Thank you, it does seem what I have as 'aliens' are just flattened fused claptons.

OK, so it is a single piece of kanthal used to make the outer wrap-not the clockwise/anticlockwise winding I was thinking of? I may of been thinking of a different coil, there are so many out there it is hard to remember.

So, I haven't tried Aliens then yet, I will have to find a source of some to try out, available either overseas to the UK, or from the UK :).

BlowinSmoke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you, it does seem what I have as 'aliens' are just flattened fused claptons.

OK, so it is a single piece of kanthal used to make the outer wrap-not the clockwise/anticlockwise winding I was thinking of? I may of been thinking of a different coil, there are so many out there it is hard to remember.

U can either make ur decorded clapton clockwise or counter clockwise, stretch it and wrap it in the opposite direction of what u claptoned.

Crazychef got sick building talent, maybe order a set of aliens from him and try that out!

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
not the clockwise/anticlockwise winding I was thinking of?
Actually, yes - you do. Whichever way you make the original Clapton, go the opposite direction when reapplying the de-cored outer wrap.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wow, Thank You!!!
:stars2:

Rhett1977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's praise well deserved chief. You've definitely earned it. You are a fucking sorcerer when it comes to making coils. We need to start calling you the coil whisperer!!!!

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually, yes - you do. Whichever way you make the original Clapton, go the opposite direction when reapplying the de-cored outer wrap.
Ahh OK, I understand now-I just remember at the time watching and thinking 'that ones beyond me".

People here seem to highly rate your coils, which is good, do you ship/ are you located in the UK?

Thanks, Conan.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm across the pond, but I can ship to the UK if you like. I've shipped to France, Eastern Europe and Australia.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the wire does not look like this.....
InZVWOzl.jpg

That is the wavy pattern in the wraps...if it don't have that it is not an alien wire.
This is 3 x 26ka1 with a 38Ni80 wrap and is kinda the de-facto standard for a really good alien wire.
It takes a lot of effort and frustration and wasted wire and time to get it anywhere near to perfect, I would say chef's stuff is value. It is definitely cheaper than learning how to do it yourself ha ha. If you try some and you like working with your hands you will probably want to take the alien wrapping frustration path. It doesn't come easy I am sure @raymo2u and @CrazyChef would back me up on that. I have wasted a shit ton of wire learning aliens...but...they are really good.

BlowinSmoke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm across the pond, but I can ship to the UK if you like. I've shipped to France, Eastern Europe and Australia.
where u from chef if u mind asking

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Those Chinese "Alien Coils" are like cheesy staple coils....with a piece of Ribbon laid horizontally and then claptoned...I dont understand how they decided to call it a Alien coil...there's not Alien looking about it and alot of people actually believe they are buying real Aliens when getting them...

VU Sponsors