Become a Patron!

Am I doing this right

I’m still new at vaping and I’m getting a very harsh throat hit

I’m running a Boxer BF classic 18650 with a coil of 0.6ohm on the vandy vape mesh and 6mg Nic, it’s giving me an herendous throat hit every time, the cotton is definitely saturated so it can’t be that, I’m just wondering could this be the nicotine is too strong for me or do I need to use more cotton any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated

2 things I can think of.
if the cotton is not tight against ALL of the mesh it will give harsh/hot hits.
Also 6 mg might be a bit high for that type of vape.

I’m using a single coil at the moment maybe I’ll try using the mesh as it’s the preferred method for that type of RDA, The cotton I got in there is relatively tight but just enough wriggle room I can move it backwards and forwards without to much pressure, I have ordered 3mg Nic juice to try that out.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also if this is you first vape...
It is kinda harsh at first for may compared to cigs.
Why it is recommended to start with a lower wattage/volume vape device.

Also if this is you first vape...
It is kinda harsh at first for may compared to cigs.
Why it is recommended to start with a lower wattage/volume vape device.
That’s what I’m doing I believe I am comparing it to my cigs which is a lot different, I started off on smok alien for month and that was great but love this Squonking set up a lot better, could putting a .3/.4ohm coil improve the vape or make it worse do you think?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That’s what I’m doing I believe I am comparing it to my cigs which is a lot different, I started off on smok alien for month and that was great but love this Squonking set up a lot better, could putting a .3/.4ohm coil improve the vape or make it worse do you think?
Lower resistance would likely make it harsher, will for sure make it hotter.
Raising the resistance a bit should calm things down a bit.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Welcome to VU Titan. I would save the mesh for a later date and raise Ω like Cromwell recommended. He knows his stuff.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I’m still new at vaping and I’m getting a very harsh throat hit

I’m running a Boxer BF classic 18650 with a coil of 0.6ohm on the vandy vape mesh and 6mg Nic, it’s giving me an herendous throat hit every time, the cotton is definitely saturated so it can’t be that, I’m just wondering could this be the nicotine is too strong for me or do I need to use more cotton any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated

Yes the nicotine at that level can be a bit harsh depending on your TH tolerance, I used to drip and BF 6mg on mechs and mech squonkers my last half my first and all through my 2nd year of vaping at much lower resistances, in the 0.15 to 0.20 ohm range, but at the same time I was at 18mg nic on my much lower powered devices (Kayfun mouth to lung tanks) so my nic tolerance for TH was very high. SS mesh devices like your RDA and much older tanks (Genesis Style Tanks like the SMOK RSST, the Kraken, and several others) which used SS Mesh as the wicking material were a nightmare to make operate right but when built and tuned right one of the best, crisp clear tasting vapes around, but if you got a hot leg or a hot spot on the mesh anywhere, that dry metal hit drops you to your knees choking and weezing. So make sure that mesh whole surface is staying saturated and getting proper juice wicking for even a micro hot spot on the mesh is enough to make a hit that should not be harsh, super harsh. Another factor could be direction of your airflow, with the first generation of RDA devices more off center the air inlet was to the coil would increase throat hit considerably, also to little airflow can cause a higher TH than should be there.

1) Being SS Mesh can actually wick itself, all you need to do is look at an old Genesis RBA style tank to see that, inspect the mesh surface while pulse firing the coil, and dry areas on the mesh while heated there will be your hot spot and needs to be tweeked with a probe or filled in with cotton behind it to alleviate the hot spot, no dry spots you can rule out a hot spot, inspect the mesh mounts for what is called hot legging with a normal coil, any glowing while pulsing and fully saturated that hot metal is adding harshness.
2) Instead of a 6mg, drop your juice down to a 3mg, half the nic concentration = half the throat hit but also better flavor
3) Inspect your airflow is optimized for you build and directed across the mesh coil properly.
4) Super tight cotton, as a second thought now that I think about it, if the cotton feeding the mesh coil is to tight can choking wicking speed down as well, but from your description above sounds to be properly packed.

All I can think of to look at.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
3mg juice is not strong enough if you've just come off cigarettes IMO so my advice is,
6 + 3 = 4.5

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
3mg juice is not strong enough if you've just come off cigarettes IMO so my advice is,
6 + 3 = 4.5
Why smaller cloud MTL and restricted LH is best for those starting vaping.
You can use higher nic juice and train yourself to vape better.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Why smaller cloud MTL and restricted LH is best for those starting vaping.
You can use higher nic juice and train yourself to vape better.
I'm glad I didn't follow that recommendation because if I had, I'd still be smoking cigarettes. I started vaping by vaping at 80 watts on a 25mm RDA with the air holes 2/3 of the way open, I did not cough even once, and, after I started vaping, I smoked only one last cigarette. I haven't actually even felt the urge to smoke another cigarette ever since. Granted, I was never a heavy smoker, but still nevertheless I was smoking 16 - 17 normal cigarettes per day, and had been doing so for 20+ years.

This all happened 10+ months ago. Fused claptons dual coil build, all Nichrome80, hand made by the shopkeeper. After my 4th week of vaping I had already built my own pair of staple staggered fused clapton coils. And was vaping them at 140 watts. I moved from the RX2/3 (with 3 batteries in it) to the RX300 only 10 days after that. VTC5A batteries in both mods. What can I say. Small clouds don't like me.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm glad I didn't follow that recommendation because if I had, I'd still be smoking cigarettes. I started vaping by vaping at 80 watts on a 25mm RDA with the air holes 2/3 of the way open, I did not cough even once, and, after I started vaping, I smoked only one last cigarette. I haven't actually even felt the urge to smoke another cigarette ever since. Granted, I was never a heavy smoker, but still nevertheless I was smoking 16 - 17 normal cigarettes per day, and had been doing so for 20+ years.

This all happened 10+ months ago. Fused claptons dual coil build, all Nichrome80, hand made by the shopkeeper. After my 4th week of vaping I had already built my own pair of staple staggered fused clapton coils. And was vaping them at 140 watts. I moved from the RX2/3 (with 3 batteries in it) to the RX300 only 10 days after that. VTC5A batteries in both mods. What can I say. Small clouds don't like me.
I quit a 40 yr smoking habit of 10 packs every 6-7 days of Malrboros with cigalikes.
I would have quit vaping real quick had I tried to start like you did.
Has taken me over 2 years to work up to 30 watts or so and I vape nothing over 22mm.
3 years smoke free in January.

amateur vaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

its kind of strange and odd but sometimes i get the opposite effect like normally i vape at .25ohms but ive lowered it to .21 and it seems to be smoother for me but thats at 40-50w, i also think what im doing might be a bad thing when i do put it down to .21 ohms because my coil is rated for only .25ohms of resistance so i could be looking for trouble. but i dont fuck with the ohms at this point since i can literally only read my screen in the pitch black now because the back light has gotten so dim from a fall it took a couple weeks ago, i should've got it a life alert lol, cant wait until my 18650 batteries and charger get here so that i can "upgrade" to the used lpv3 li 165w box mod that i got from my friend the other day from the smok qbox beginner box mod that maxes at 50w its a good little mod but the battery life sucks the screen is even with the side of the mod instead of indented in which makes it more prone to damage, unlike the lpv3 and the tank is also vulnerable on 3 sides of the mod because the placement of the thread adapter on the mod.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I quit a 40 yr smoking habit of 10 packs every 6-7 days of Malrboros with cigalikes.
Has taken me over 2 years to work up to 30 watts or so and I vape nothing over 22mm.
It goes to show different people really are different, sometimes even totally so. Of all the vapers I've met in person, those who have quit vaping after some months by going back to smoking cigarettes were all low wattage vapers... the high wattage ones are all agreeing with me on that cigarettes taste and smell like a burned trashcan, and we typically all run away from smokers as fast as our legs can carry us.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fwiw... resistance isn't causing the heat...... the mass and type of wire used in the coil is.... ohm affect wattage... metal type and amount affect heat of coil and amount of that heat transmitted to vapor.

Bigger coil will mellow things out.... ohm does not have to change. But wire grade and gauge might.

Heck the extra throat hit could be do to the PG content or air flow setting also. Could even just have a little too much NIC.. could even be caused by the flavors used in the juice.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

If i had started vaping at the 15watts I use now instead of 5 to 7 watts i did.. I would still be vaping.... if I had to start vaping today on the current high wattage gear.... instead of 4 years ago....

I would still be smoking..

Don't get me wrong... the build in my dripper Is pulling about 90 watts on a fresh battery..... but it is NOT my ADV. My ADV is less than 20 watts. Call it a 12 watt average.

Point is there is nor right way to vape. We all have to experiment a bit to find what work's.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fwiw... resistance isn't causing the heat...... the mass and type of wire used in the coil is.... ohm affect wattage... metal type and amount affect heat of coil and amount of that heat transmitted to vapor.

Bigger coil will mellow things out.... ohm does not have to change. But wire grade and gauge might.

Heck the extra throat hit could be do to the PG content or air flow setting also. Could even just have a little too much NIC.. could even be caused by the flavors used in the juice.

Wire size and resistance both play a part in the heat being generated.
Watts is heat. Lower resistance increases watts dissipated in the coil.
Too much coil mass and ramp up time increases a lot.
We are talking mech here.

heat produced is a combination of factors.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wire size and resistance both play a part in the heat being generated.
Watts is heat. Lower resistance increases watts dissipated in the coil.
Too much coil mass and ramp up time increases a lot.
We are talking mech here.

heat produced is a combination of factors.

If the lower resistance is achieved with an increasing mass you are correct..... but if say you reduce wraps to reach the lower ohm.. the coil will run hotter but produce less heat.... bigger and yes slower coil can run cooler while producing more heat.

Heat flux vs heat capacity.

Last edited:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Exactly how I quit my 30+ year cigarette habit- it will be three years on Dec 1!
Cigalikes , 24 nic liquid , 18 mgs cartridges and will power- really no high wattage mods and sub ohm tanks when we started vaping to quit smoking, still manged to do it !

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the lower resistance is achieved with an increasing mass you are correct..... but if day you reduce wraps to reach the lower ohm.. the coil will run hotter but produce less heat.... bigger and yes l slower could can run cooler while producing more heat.

And lets not forget airflow and it's impact.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Exactly how I quit my 30+ year cigarette habit- it will be three years on Dec 1!
Cigalikes , 24 nic liquid , 18 mgs cartridges and will power- really no high wattage mods and sub ohm tanks when we started vaping to quit smoking, still manged to do it !
yep clearomizers were the hottest thing out :)
Went thru those after cartomizers.

I think Drippers on Tube mechs was a new thing as well.

and yes it took willpower.
It is not a natural enough replacement to just instantly replace 40 years of smoking without making it work.
And it is more work to vape vs smoke.
Vaping will not work for everyone, just most everyone that wants it to work and is willing to make it work.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yep clearomizers were the hottest thing out :)
Went thru those after cartomizers.

I think Drippers on Tube mechs was a new thing as well.

and yes it took willpower.
It is not a natural enough replacement to just instantly replace 40 years of smoking without making it work.
And it is more work to vape vs smoke.
Vaping will not work for everyone, just most everyone that wants it to work and is willing to make it work.

Heck Clearomizers are still the hottest thing out..... IE any NON rebuildable tank atty using a coilhead but not a Carto is a clearomizer. Why the Clearo term dropped with the crossing of the 1 ohm line I dont get. Because i was SUB ohming Nautilus and Protank heads LONG before the SUBTANKS existed. Heck I've sub-ohmed cartomizers powered by AA batteries.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heck Clearomizers are still the hottest thing out..... IE any NON rebuildable tank atty using a coilhead but not a Carto is a clearomizer. Why the Clearo term dropped with the crossing of the 1 ohm line I dont get. Because i was SUB ohming Nautilus and Protank heads LONG before the SUBTANKS existed. Heck I've sub-ohmed cartomizers powered by AA batteries.
Sub ohm and subtank are VERY misused words in the vaping vocabulary.

I suppose sub just sounds cool?

To me any tank with replaceable glass is not a clearomizer.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If the lower resistance is achieved with an increasing mass you are correct..... but if say you reduce wraps to reach the lower ohm.. the coil will run hotter but produce less heat.... bigger and yes slower coil can run cooler while producing more heat.

If, by "producing heat", you are referring to the amount of heat energy (Joules or BTU or calories) that the coil transfers onto the juice via its metal surface per time unit (seconds), then yes, reducing the surface area by removing a wrap logically implies producing less heat. (1 watt = 1 Joule of energy per second.) But for reasons that are obvious, the hotter the temperature of this same metal surface, the faster the coil will transfer heat energy onto the juice... therefore, the effect that you describe is still nevertheless mitigated to some (non-negligible) extent. And, as @The Cromwell has explained, airflow also plays a part... to which I'll add that the thermodynamics of fluids (and how that also is impacted by bubbles that emerge whilst part of the trapped juice or liquid enters the gaseous state) also play a part. Further, remember the coil itself contributes to wicking the juice, especially after the coil and the nearby juice get warmed up... so you have to look at the thermodynamics from a much broader perspective here. During coil ramp up, does the heat energy tend to longer stay more intensely packed in close vicinity to the crevasses─between the core wires and the wrap wire─in which most of the trapped juice is located? Or does the heat energy tend to disperse out from that particular area faster due to, for example, using a wrap wire the metal type of which has a higher thermal conductivity? How do factors like these affect how fast the trapped juice heats up, and how fast the evaporation accelerates? Now I'm not even talking about how the size, shape, and orientation of those crevasses have to be factored into all this. Bottom line, if you're going to analyze and digest advanced coil behavior, you're going to want to add a lot extra Nvidia CUDA processing power. :giggle:

VU Sponsors