Become a Patron!

Am I going crazy?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And those that think they have figured out what some random thing means are often wrong.
Things that matter I figure out, things that don't I just do not concern myself with.
For instance why a number would keep popping up is nothing to me.
Why my roof is leaking... Well I would figure that out and fix it.

OCD I am not.
Superstitious I am not.
Into mysticism I am not.
A follower of charismatics I am not.

Very intelligent, I am.
An independent thinker, I am.

Made it thru over 62 years as I am, think I will stick with what I know.

And LOL Banal I am NOT. That was funny.

Well here's the thoughts of a guy with a 200 IQ higher than Einstiens 160, and much higher than yours...and he is certain ther is a heaven.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sure we can, but only in certain instances where protocol allows, this is not one of them

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well here's the thoughts of a guy with a 200 IQ higher than Einstiens 160, and much higher than yours...and he is certain ther is a heaven.

Well good for him.

My philosophy is do not belittle or degrade this only certain life we have for the promise of an afterlife.
Lets make this life the best we can and do not waste it with hatred and fear.

Azriel Mysterious

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well good for him.

My philosophy is do not belittle or degrade this only certain life we have for the promise of an afterlife.
Lets make this life the best we can and do not waste it with hatred and fear.
This is where I stand too. There are too many people who only see this life as something to endure in order to get to "heaven".

Life is precious and fleeting. We only know for CERTAIN that we have this life, anything beyond is speculation. Why waste the most precious thing you have focusing in what may (or may not) come after?

DoctorJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
You might in fact be going -- or already -- crazy, if you see meaning in a lot of random events.
Andria

WOW, that's kinda cold! People seeing meaning in a lot of things, not just random events. People see meaning in words in a book. People see meaning in art and music. Does it make it that less meaningful if you don't agree? Does it make them crazy because you don't see their logic in what is meaningful? Wars are fought over what some see as meaningful and others see as crazy.

From my experience with a mentally ill SIL seeing meaning in random things is not a good thing. If you want to seek out spirituality then by all means do so.

Who says there is nothing spiritual about randomness? Also, why is seeing meaning in random things not a good thing? I've taken quite a few psychology classes and read a lot on the subject, I don't remember anything about seeing random things as meaningful being a sign that someone is mentally ill.

I would say any behavior that is not the status quo is interpreted as insanity, when, in fact, it might actually be enlightenment. Insanity is sorta in the eye of the beholder." Chuck Palahniuk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
WOW, that's kinda cold! People seeing meaning in a lot of things, not just random events. People see meaning in words in a book. People see meaning in art and music. Does it make it that less meaningful if you don't agree? Does it make them crazy because you don't see their logic in what is meaningful? Wars are fought over what some see as meaningful and others see as crazy.

Who says there is nothing spiritual about randomness? Also, why is seeing meaning in random things not a good thing? I've taken quite a few psychology classes and read a lot on the subject, I don't remember anything about seeing random things as meaningful being a sign that someone is mentally ill.

I would say any behavior that is not the status quo is interpreted as insanity, when, in fact, it might actually be enlightenment. Insanity is sorta in the eye of the beholder." Chuck Palahniuk

He did ask if he could be going crazy. I offered my opinion, that he MIGHT want to look into it further, because seeing meaning in random events CAN sometimes be a sign of several mental illnesses. I am not competent to know more than that. But he did ask.

In fact, I see meaning in many things that others think are ridiculous. But I don't ask their opinion. I know my own mental competence, and my own emotional weaknesses.

Andria

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
william-blake-quote-to-see-a-world-in-a-grain-of-sand-and-a-heaven-in.jpg

seeing meaning in random things doesn't seem crazy to me it seems perceptive.

DoctorJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
He did ask if he could be going crazy. I offered my opinion, that he MIGHT want to look into it further, because seeing meaning in random events CAN sometimes be a sign of several mental illnesses. I am not competent to know more than that. But he did ask.

In fact, I see meaning in many things that others think are ridiculous. But I don't ask their opinion. I know my own mental competence, and my own emotional weaknesses.

Andria

I would venture a guess that was a rhetorical question, however, if it was asking for an opinion, I'd look in my own closet before opening someone else's.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, here's my take.

I think that reminders of your own mortality are leading you to search for meaning in random events, even if there is nothing there, just sheer coincidence.

I do not believe in a higher power, I am an Atheist.

I don't think you are crazy per se, but I do think you are searching for meaning in order to cope with your loss and the reality of your own mortality.

Everything eventually dies, looking for meaning or a higher power is just a coping mechanism to deal with a fear of death.

In the end, you only get one shot at this thing called life, make it a good one. Appreciate all the good and try to leave the world a better place than when you came into it. Even helping one person is a wonderful thing.

Can of worms....check!
Can opener....check!

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And those that think they have figured out what some random thing means are often wrong.
Things that matter I figure out, things that don't I just do not concern myself with.
For instance why a number would keep popping up is nothing to me.
Why my roof is leaking... Well I would figure that out and fix it.

OCD I am not.
Superstitious I am not.
Into mysticism I am not.
A follower of charismatics I am not.

Very intelligent, I am.
An independent thinker, I am.

Made it thru over 62 years as I am, think I will stick with what I know.

And LOL Banal I am NOT. That was funny.
Speak like Yoda you do....

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
BANAL

adjective
devoid of freshness or originality; hackneyed;trite:

I GUESS I SEE THE RELATION TO IT'S ROOT WORD

Boden

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Before you immediately answer yes. Let me explain. Yesterday my family had a evening mass at a church for my brother. As a kid I've never gone to church. But something made me shut my eyes and relax. Once I got the energy to open my eyes, my vision was outta whack for a second or two. Shortly after,the priest gave me a randomly selected necklace with a cross on it. Here's the thing. It was a white necklace. White is a color that's "pure" not good, not bad. So the way I'm taking this, my sins are gone. I'm "pure" if that makes sense. Now today. I'm at work bringing carts back to the store. Every and I mean every time I seen a stray cart it be with another. My brother had a thing with the number two. So every time I'd see stray carts there'd be two of them. But that's still not it. on my last round of carts, I go to walk away and my chain that has a picture of my brother on it somehow got caught and the chain broke. At that moment I don't know how to react. I pick up the dog tag and the chain and put it in my pocket and went on with my day. It sucks since tomorrow the 28th will be a year since he passed.
No
Your brain is looking for patterns to comfort you.

VU Sponsors