Become a Patron!

Am I the only one who destroyed hands?

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Seriously, this hobby is beating the shit out of my hands. I have *constant* pin holes (grrr), little cuts, metal slivers and my skin keeps cracking by my fingernails which is actually the worst because they are always painful and the thick skin doesn't like to heal.

I've gotten better at avoiding owies in the first place, but considering accumulation they are pretty awful.

Got any tricks for how to deal with this? I'm not much of a crybaby, but they do look bad and my gf really doesn't like the way they feel. Not good for me!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I second this issue!
I’ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I will permanently have what I call my “Clapton Callus” on my index finger, but so much of what we do with building these coils involves touch and feel, it eliminates the ability to use any type of buffer between skin and wire (ex: Nitrile Gloves).
The constant spinning of coils using a drill has also caused some random numbness and “buzzing feeling” in my hand sometimes, so, if anyone has any tips or tricks...please share with the rest of the class!

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Using the button trick to clapton 36g Nichrome80. Loop method also works... especially for 38g or thinner Nichrome80 wrap wire, and, always treating the wire gently makes worldly differences.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For dry/cracked hands in winter I've always used corn huskers lotion. Has an odd odor, some may not like it. I hate lotion, the smell and feel of greasy crap on my hands. Not really specific to handling vape wire but I've worked both construction and automotive. In the middle of winter in an unheated or poorly heated shop constantly getting transmission fluid, brake cleaner, parts wash and other solvents all over the hands and washing them frequently with pumice hand soap the hands tend to dry out. I didn't like wearing gloves, even 'mechanics' gloves I found too bulky or getting caught on everything under a hood.

Nitrile gloves were fine for sourcing vacuum leaks but don't provide any warmth or any real protection. Also used them when handling parts running a cnc mill/lathe but mostly just kept the coolant off the hands. Catch them on a flat machined edge or corner and it slices right through them though they hold up a little better than latex. I imagine thin wire would pierce right through them.

If lengthy times of running a drill bother you like it does screwball maybe consider something hands free like the daedalus kit. Each person's different in what affects them, I don't get much of a buzzing sensation from drills. Air hammers do it sometimes after lengthy use. I've had chainsaws cause that tingling sensation after a few hours especially if it's cold like in the middle of winter.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I pretend that I'm not one of these high maintenance chicks out there, that care about their looks or if the purse color matches the g-string that day. But cut hands, or beat up hands/fingers just don't look right, specially while working with clients. So I got creative I guess, I'm sure its funny to some, in fact I laugh about it myself, but it makes the whole building situation lot easier.

To avoid my cuticle to be stabbed/cut/ripped/cracked etc, I apply a thin layer of Vaseline. Mostly 10 minutes before I start building, while getting my other stuff together and lined up on the table. I've done it without waiting time as well and its fine as long as you don't bend wire over it, at least while its not fully absorbed yet.

For cuts/rips/stabs/cracking and what not on my fingers, I use the little rubber fingertips you get in any office supply store. I ordered them for my business but they work good with that as well. Tried regular gloves but I don't get the accuracy with them, might just be me tho.

Anyways when I'm done, I wash my hands with a sugar coconut oil scrub I make myself. Won't have to lotion your hands after and the sugar gets all the little metal particles out of your small lines and cuts etc you might have anyways from your job or previous builds. Your gf will be happy after a couple of applications lol

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have a fairly serious problem with my hands called dishidrotic eczema (which itches like HELL!). I've found that the Gold Bond Eczema Relief hand cream is a godsend, and I suspect men might like it, because it has absolutely zero scent, and it's not greasy at all; it absorbs right into the skin PDQ, and does a good job keeping the thickened skin moisturized enough that it can heal. And, it's not terribly expensive. The colloidal oatmeal in it will also soothe irritated skin very well -- good for bug bites or whatever, or just winter chapping.

Andria

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great stuff guys. For the record, I've lumped train cars, I've loaded over 100 thousand bricks into cars and trucks by hand, carried and loaded 3x60lb bags of quickcrete all day long, worked on cars from a young age and worked in factories for the remainder of my working days. Seven spinal surgeries will do a number on your career, that is unless you're career IS having spinal surgery in which case you're good.

I actually kinda like when my hands are rough. I think every man should have scars and a broken nose to boot, but I'll give all of the macho bullshit up if it means I get to put the mitts on my super hot gf. Seriously. She's SUPER hot. :} ;}

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Great stuff guys. For the record, I've lumped train cars, I've loaded over 100 thousand bricks into cars and trucks by hand, carried and loaded 3x60lb bags of quickcrete all day long, worked on cars from a young age and worked in factories for the remainder of my working days. Seven spinal surgeries will do a number on your career, that is unless you're career IS having spinal surgery in which case you're good.

I actually kinda like when my hands are rough. I think every man should have scars and a broken nose to boot, but I'll give all of the macho bullshit up if it means I get to put the mitts on my super hot gf. Seriously. She's SUPER hot. :} ;}

Yup; I've always thought that REAL MEN have rough callused hands. :D However, when I was pregnant and anticipating labor and birth, my husband and I decided that the Corn Huskers would be a good idea for his hands; considering I had "back labor" (baby face up instead of facing my spine), I desperately needed those hands massaging my tailbone with every contraction. Women do appreciate men with tough hands... until it's time for those hands to touch the woman's body... then it's time to consider that women have thin, delicate, sensitive skin.

Andria

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually kinda like when my hands are rough. I think every man should have scars and a broken nose to boot, but I'll give all of the macho bullshit up if it means I get to put the mitts on my super hot gf.
Seriously. She's SUPER hot. :} ;}
Pics or it didn't happen... :)

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
For dry/cracked hands in winter I've always used corn huskers lotion. Has an odd odor, some may not like it. I hate lotion, the smell and feel of greasy crap on my hands. Not really specific to handling vape wire but I've worked both construction and automotive. In the middle of winter in an unheated or poorly heated shop constantly getting transmission fluid, brake cleaner, parts wash and other solvents all over the hands and washing them frequently with pumice hand soap the hands tend to dry out. I didn't like wearing gloves, even 'mechanics' gloves I found too bulky or getting caught on everything under a hood.

Nitrile gloves were fine for sourcing vacuum leaks but don't provide any warmth or any real protection. Also used them when handling parts running a cnc mill/lathe but mostly just kept the coolant off the hands. Catch them on a flat machined edge or corner and it slices right through them though they hold up a little better than latex. I imagine thin wire would pierce right through them.

If lengthy times of running a drill bother you like it does screwball maybe consider something hands free like the daedalus kit. Each person's different in what affects them, I don't get much of a buzzing sensation from drills. Air hammers do it sometimes after lengthy use. I've had chainsaws cause that tingling sensation after a few hours especially if it's cold like in the middle of winter.
Same boat I hate greasy hand feeling from lotion.
Hell I hate certain textures on my hands especially when cooking. Like oil or raw meat... it is instant hand washing,
Did a job that had denatured alcohol among other things, the shit gloves they provided were corn starch loaded and beat our hands to shreds then dried out from the alcohol further. Add in winter weather then UGH.

Jack Black's hand healing therapy is a god send.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Decades ago when I threw freight at a grocery store handling all those boxes my hands and cuticles would crack and bleed. That is when I discovered Corn Huskers Silk, it's magic.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years

Fellow mechanic/glove hater/ corn huskers fan!
IMG_0143.gif

Those fluids/brake cleaner will tear your hands up especially in winter and corn huskers is the shit. Building doesn’t bother my hands, my hand hide is far too thick to be bothered by wire. I use a spool tamer when making claptons just for the convenience, once started just need to hold the throttle to the end.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Pics or it didn't happen... :)

She'd kill me and I wouldn't do it anyway, even though I *really* want to. She's in magazines if that says anything at all. Probably not. I've been in plenty of magazines and I'm a monster, but I suppose it was my writing and not my looks that got me that gig.

My ex wife is quite irritated btw.

Yup; I've always thought that REAL MEN have rough callused hands. :D However, when I was pregnant and anticipating labor and birth, my husband and I decided that the Corn Huskers would be a good idea for his hands; considering I had "back labor" (baby face up instead of facing my spine), I desperately needed those hands massaging my tailbone with every contraction. Women do appreciate men with tough hands... until it's time for those hands to touch the woman's body... then it's time to consider that women have thin, delicate, sensitive skin.

Andria

Well said. Pretty sure that's exactly how she feels. Never been with a woman like her. The more manly a thing is the more she likes it. Like if she doesn't (or can't) possess an attribute because of her gender it's attractive. Love that because my ex liked the ladies as much as me. Not cool.

Better than cornhuskers.
View attachment 96091

Used em both this worked best for me.

That's so weird. I am getting ready for the night and I opened my drawer and that green can came into view. I totally forgot I had it. It's from my hard work days. I think I've seen it so many times it kind of disappeared amongst the rest of the flotsam rolling around my odds and ends drawer.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well said. Pretty sure that's exactly how she feels. Never been with a woman like her. The more manly a thing is the more she likes it. Like if she doesn't (or can't) possess an attribute because of her gender it's attractive. Love that because my ex liked the ladies as much as me. Not cool.

Not sure why; most men would kill or die to be with a bi lady. I appreciate beauty and sex appeal regardless of gender, but my own personal inclination has always been for MEN.

Andria

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Idk what it is about oily feeling things that drive me nuts, just can't stand lotions, creams, even chapstick and stuff for the lips. Luckily I don't get chapped easily so don't look like someone from a zombie flick but ugh. I'd rather dunk my hands in diesel fuel than use regular lotion.

Forget why I even had it, I had a large bottle of vaseline intensive care lotion in my trunk. A customer I was friends with came to the auto shop and forgot her lotion, complaining of chapped hands. Thought I'd be nice and go grab the lotion out of my car, came back with a jumbo sized bottle and she just burst into tears laughing. One of those situations where you can swear there isn't a mega sized bottles of tissue in there with it and no amount of denial does any good. haha

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
suck it up...after 30 years of swinging a hammer...fucking resistance wire doesn't even pierce my skin.
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw this thread. My hands are already so chowdered from working, what's a few more pin pricks?

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw this thread. My hands are already so chowdered from working, what's a few more pin pricks?

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
Pretty sure if this was a big dick swinging contest I'd win. Still, I get the sentiment. I was raised by a hard Marine lifer and crying about anything that wasn't serious wasn't acceptable. I had the hands you guys are talking about. I'm 6'5" and was 300lbs of muscle. Scrappy too, but things change when you're health goes to shit. If you don't already know this to be true, give it a few... In any case, I still have the heart of a lion. Soft hands? Doesn't matter one bit to me. I've paid my dues. ;)

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not sure why; most men would kill or die to be with a bi lady. I appreciate beauty and sex appeal regardless of gender, but my own personal inclination has always been for MEN.

Andria
Oh I was most definitely one of those guys. It was great for a while, but I was married for 23 years and at some point I didn't care for sharing my bed anymore. I got married very young and I had a lot of fun in those years, and maybe it's just age, but regardless, I'm a one person kinda guy. Don't like one night stands or anything like that.

Is it just me or is this going ot? Good thing it's my thread! Carry on.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
JuicyLucy is smoking' hot

(as in has hot flashes)

(Wet a paper towel with cold water, and put it on your ears -- swear to god! It'll cool you right down. Hot flashes for the last 18 yrs have taught me well!)

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
(Wet a paper towel with cold water, and put it on your ears -- swear to god! It'll cool you right down. Hot flashes for the last 18 yrs have taught me well!)

Andria

Then I'd go from smokin' hot to steamy :p

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You guys are awesome. :) I worked with a woman who got hot flashes. I'm so glad I'm a guy for a lot of reasons. Don't get me wrong, I think women are the best thing ever made, it's just that all that beauty and grace and awesomeness comes at a price it seems. And besides, with my luck I'd have been an ugly chick.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Then I'd go from smokin' hot to steamy :p

Nah. There's a very good physical reason behind it: the hypothalamus controls the body's "thermostat", and the ears are connected to those nerves, since the ears are a big part of the body's cooling mechanism; this is why when you keep your ears warm in the winter, the rest of you stays warmer, but even if the rest of you is bundled up, if the ears are cold, so are you. When I get hot flashes, I swear it feels like my ears are about to MELT. So I cool them down with cold water; sometimes stand in front of a fan to enhance the evaporation, and it works MIRACLES.

Andria

VU Sponsors