Become a Patron!

Am I wicking correctly?!?

So I'm new to building and RTAs and such. Built my first dual coil set up. 0.25 coils from 22g kanthal. 10 wraps 2.5 diameter. Problem is there's just very little taste. I get way more flavor from the same juice in my crown 3 tank. Just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 15201168053921620730645.jpg
    15201168053921620730645.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 25

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What RDA are you using?

And welcome to VU :wave:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
For flavor I use spaced coils

What RDA (atomizer) are you using?

The height of the coils, where they are in relation to the airflow, the juice channels if its an RTA, all these things and more affect how the juice tastes in the different atomizers - so it is important we know the kind of atomizer you are using if you want advice

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oops wrong thread. But still for flavor spaced are better

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I don't have that attie - but as no one else is chiming in yet, I'd watch Todd's review and look at how he wicks it. He's one of the few reviewers I feel is both skilled and honest

Last edited:

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't have that attie - but as no one else is chiming in yet, I'd watch Todd's review and look at how he wicks it. He's one of the few reviewers I feel is both skilled and honest

Kinda surprised you don't know this one. Out of the ones I have this one is the best

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Kinda surprised you don't know this one. Out of the ones I have this one is the best

I know it exists, just didn't want it as I'm primarily a squonker

I have two different RTA's I'm building on..the limitless gold and the orcish. The pic was of the orcish. And it's on top of my Voopoo 157w.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The coils are sitting at the same height as the air vents. I can see the coils through the airholes.

I got your posts confused with the other person posting, lol

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
not familiar with the orcish, did a little googling. It may be more of a cloud chasing rdta then a flavor. The limitless is a good mix of both. You should be able to get similar flavor on the limitless as you do the crown. but the limitless will be a bit more airy. You are trying to compare oranges to mangalos
Several things effect flavor, some you control some you don't
you can control:
  • the coil you use
  • the wicking
  • the position of the coil
  • how open your airflow is
  • the drip tip
changing any of these things can change flavor, but sometimes regardless of what you do there are factor you don't control
  • the type of airflow (side, bottom, top, combination)
  • diameter of the chamber
  • diameter of the chimney (n/a on rdtas like you are using)
  • distance from the coil to the drip tip
  • amount of airflow that can go in the chamber
  • depth of the chamber
  • shape at the top of the chamber
Other people could surely chime in with more things that effect flavor.

The point is that no matter what you do you can not change the design of you rdta. Also just because someone said it has fantastic flavor doesn't mean you will agree. I have tried multiple rtas out that people say have great flavor and for me they suck. My guess is the orcish is more of a cloud chasing atty and the flavor is never going to be as good as the crown 3. I may be wrong but just looking at photos and based on my own experience it looks like its big and airy which translate to clouds not flavor.

Also side airflow for me does not tend to give the best flavor. bottom airflow seems to give better flavor.

I would setup the limitless. I have several older limitless plus, and while airier then a crown they could still produce pretty damn good flavor.

Here is my suggestion
go here
https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/...l-ss-26g-30g-clapton-wire?variant=31964261889
get a spool of the 28/36 clapton wire. theres a coupon that pops up when you first go there for 20% off
this is your basic clapton wire is stainless steel
with this make 3.5 or 4mm ID coils for the limitless at around 8-9 wraps which should give you around .6-.7ish ohms when your done.
This should be close in flavor to your crown at this point

my next suggestion get a different rta. Try a griffin 22mm 25mm or aio using the same coils i mentioned above and that should be nearly identical to your crown in flavor.

while your buying wire grab some fused clapton wire as well this will lower your ohms give you a warmer vape and let you up the power some and can give you more flavor..but that is subjective. I prefer standard claptons in a dual coil rta and fused in a single coil. at least that's my choice today, next month I may have a different choice.
The fused claptons will get you around .3 ish ohms in a dual coil with 9 or so wraps

IN THE MEANTIME
make bigger coils 2.5 seems small to me for those RDTAS
got to 3.5 or 4mm ID. I don't know if that will fit in the orcish but 4mm should fit in the limitless. More metal can often equal more flavor.

But remember you are going forma crown that uses stainless steel wire and you are using kanthal, the two metals can make the same juice taste different to many people

Thank you very much for your thoughts on my post. Gave me alot to try and tinker with to get my desired results. I will certainly try out the wire you suggested and the build with the limitless. Very helpful! Thanks a ton!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Thank you very much for your thoughts on my post. Gave me alot to try and tinker with to get my desired results. I will certainly try out the wire you suggested and the build with the limitless. Very helpful! Thanks a ton!
you are welcome. Just keep in mind. While there are certain generalalities in vaping, that is this seems to work the same for alot of people, everyone has different tastes and preferences. what works for me may not work for you. You do have to experiment to find what works for you. It's a PITA to do and gets expensive at times, but it is worth it. I've been vaping about 8 years and I still haven't found my perfect atty yet. I got some that are close to perfect but not quite perfect. It's a journey

VU Sponsors