Become a Patron!

Amazon has fangs

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought a Fire Stick because I was bored. Watched one show that was "free" & they charged me a dollar. They said it's a legit charge. The money is not important, they lied to me. It says free for Prime Members. I was going to spring for the years membership. 100.00 big deal. They ain't getting shit. Be careful what you get, it just might have fangs.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I looked at these, along with many others, when our cable/internet bill went up to almost $190 a month. After weighing several choices, we ended up with a Roku 3 and are really enjoying it. Of course we still have to pay around $70 a month for internet, and we do spend $15 a month on subscriptions for Netflix and Hulu, but it's all the tv you could ask for and a lot cheaper than cable. We avoid the "pay" channels though.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks! I'm just shocked Amazon would reach that low to hit me a buck for a TV show. Wealthy is nice, Greedy is wrong. I won't shop with them again. I trusted them. Makes me sad. It ain't the dollar, it's screwing me. Bad form on their part. :cool:

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I looked at these, along with many others, when our cable/internet bill went up to almost $190 a month. After weighing several choices, we ended up with a Roku 3 and are really enjoying it. Of course we still have to pay around $70 a month for internet, and we do spend $15 a month on subscriptions for Netflix and Hulu, but it's all the tv you could ask for and a lot cheaper than cable. We avoid the "pay" channels though.
Hi, $85.00 a month is acceptable for entertainment. I order motorcycle parts ect with it. Internet has become a snake that bites me, but I have to have it. :(

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We really do like ours. We also have a subscription to Sling TV but getting ready to cancel it. It offers live tv, but we couldn't care less about that. We've only kept it at $20 a month because of HGTV, which isn't offered on Hulu, and we watch quite a bit of that. I just don't see paying $20 a month for one channel.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We really do like ours. We also have a subscription to Sling TV but getting ready to cancel it. It offers live tv, but we couldn't care less about that. We've only kept it at $20 a month because of HGTV, which isn't offered on Hulu, and we watch quite a bit of that. I just don't see paying $20 a month for one channel.
I have 11 gigs of movies I have gathered over a lifetime. 82 free TV channels, if I spoke Korean or Spanish it would help. I don't need to be saved, & about anything I want YouTube has. I have two versions of "The Ghost & Mr. Chicken". The Ghost & Mrs. Muir I might have to eat Alpo but I will build a Satellite system if they piss me off enough. :) I live to hear the words, "You can't do it". :rolleyes:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That little gadget has all the stuff built in. If they screw me, I'll shoot it then go have a happy meal. I don't mind spending money, but ask me first. :cool:
I agree, and I hate "fine print." There's usually always something in there I know I won't agree to but I don't own the microscope required to process the information.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm the poster boy for, if you work you need to be paid. The whole world thinks computer work should be free. It's not. I charge for my services. Grocery stores expect to be paid. On & on. :cool:

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm the poster boy for, if you work you need to be paid. The whole world thinks computer work should be free. It's not. I charge for my services. Grocery stores expect to be paid. On & on. :cool: Code Rat don't eat, Code Rat starve to death. Don't be that Code Rat. ;)

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree, and I hate "fine print." There's usually always something in there I know I won't agree to but I don't own the microscope required to process the information.
The EBay seller he will buy it back no problem. I pay postage. Bummer they did that. I kinda liked it. Like being at the Doctors office, if he has one hand on my hip, it's ok. If he has both on my hips, problem.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have the Roku stick.
I set mine to pin pass to make ANY purchases with Roku.
I kicked satellite 2 years ago. I only have old school antenna and now ROKU. My internet runs me (well, my business) 40 a month and my Netflix is another 8.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
GT 6 will entertain anyone that like to race cars damn near forever. PS3 is more suited to the game. IMO than any other platform. :cool:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I had compared Netflix and HULU when deciding which/both to buy. For the money and what they offer, Netflix sold me. HULU just pissed me off to pay 4 bucks more a month to avoid ads, with less offerings than Netflix.

I'd never get sucked into satellite or cable again.

Roku is a cool invention. I like my TV on demand, and I like how ROKU works. It's a pretty useful tool, for just a 50 dollar investment.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was a happy puppy. I see a dollar charge on my account for a free thing, I get nosy. Free to me is not charging my bank. Put their hand in my cookie jar. They lost 10's of thousands in sales thru me. I'll go strictly elsewhere. Sad to see a company like that. :cool:

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Buyer beware. Gotta read that fine print. I mean seriously, who has time for that???

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In my world, they say free tv. Don't say we will charge you a dollar to watch this tv. Like the airport, but without quarters. :cool:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's strange! I have a Prime membership and never pay anything to watch shows that are free. Is this something to do with the Fire Stick?

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just joined and saw this thread. Coincidentally, we just got a Fire Stick last week. It loses connection so often, shows are unwatchable. (That, plus the resolution is horrible.)
Sadly, Amazon pretty much gave us the thing for free because Amazon Prime and our Samsung Blu-ray player can't communicate (known software issue.)
We don't feel like calling to complain about the Fire Stick, because all they'll do is force us to go through all the troubleshooting steps we already did. We're just going to stick w/ Netflix until the Amazon/Samsung issue works itself out.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ours drops out every now and then and gets shoddy reception on occasion, but I don't think the router/modem we rent from our ISP is strong enough to share a strong signal from where it is in my office. I can't use my iPad in one end of the house because of it. I've been pricing better ones so we can give theirs back, and that will be $10 a month they don't get from us too.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I was looking for a reason to "loose it" & Amazon provided me with one. I feel kind of stupid getting pissed over a damn TV appliance. Their support staff has been falling all over there selves trying to make it right. Only three things that can be done to me that fucks me up enough to loose it. My Dogs, My Motorcycle, & My wallet. I closed my shop turned off my phone & had some Me time. I'm all better now. :cool:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ours drops out every now and then and gets shoddy reception on occasion, but I don't think the router/modem we rent from our ISP is strong enough to share a strong signal from where it is in my office. I can't use my iPad in one end of the house because of it. I've been pricing better ones so we can give theirs back, and that will be $10 a month they don't get from us too.
I have a LnkSys AC1200+ router. For a 100 dollar bill, this router is great. Set up is easy with this one, and so is changing passwords - etc.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just joined and saw this thread. Coincidentally, we just got a Fire Stick last week. It loses connection so often, shows are unwatchable. (That, plus the resolution is horrible.)
Sadly, Amazon pretty much gave us the thing for free because Amazon Prime and our Samsung Blu-ray player can't communicate (known software issue.)
We don't feel like calling to complain about the Fire Stick, because all they'll do is force us to go through all the troubleshooting steps we already did. We're just going to stick w/ Netflix until the Amazon/Samsung issue works itself out.

Or you could get a ROKU so you can watch shows on Prime...

c.diehl

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you have a amazon fire stick, look on google at "install kodi" its amazing you can stream live tv,ppv ,movies all for free

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My cable company is now charging us for excess Internet. We are allowed 300gigs a month of Internet and after that, the charge is $10 for every 50 gigs. Only way around it is to fork over an extra $30 a month for an unlimited plan, which they say is a trial and they could stop offering with no notice. I called and complained because I just signed a 2 year contract 2 weeks before this went into effect. They flat out told me its because more people are not using cable tv and opting for services like Hulu and Netflix. Funniest part was when they said the average house only uses 50gigs a month. I call bull***t. My family is averaging 500-600 gigs, of course we download a lot of movies and I have 3 teenage gamers plus myself

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I am getting a bit fed up with Amazon myself.

I have already placed one order with Jet.com myself and I will compare the both of them the next time I need something.

And to make matters worse, well for me as a shopper anyway, they are building a big assed distribution center in Ohio so now I will need to start paying sales tax on my purchases.

BTW, the one thing that really gripes me is that if you don't have a prime membership or pay for expedited shipping, they seem to ship orders whenever the heck it pleases them.

Hell, if I order something like right now, I expect it to ship by end of business tomorrow!

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have already placed one order with Jet.com myself and I will compare the both of them the next time I need something.

And to make matters worse, well for me as a shopper anyway, they are building a big assed distribution center in Ohio so now I will need to start paying sales tax on my purchases.

BTW, the one thing that really gripes me is that if you don't have a prime membership or pay for expedited shipping, they seem to ship orders whenever the heck it pleases them.

Hell, if I order something like right now, I expect it to ship by end of business tomorrow!
I was a member for about 6 hours. Bought an Atomizer & routinely check my debit statement & saw a charge of a dollar for my "free" prime trial. I lost it, & told them it's over NOW. Free means Free, not when they feel like it. All my stuff comes from places other than Amazon, after 6 years of shopping there. When they have both hands on my hips something ain't right. :eek::cool:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Here is something I learned as a Amazon shopper....

Not everything they sell, is in an Amazon warehouse. Some items are in a store somewhere, and have to be shipped into the warehouse BEFORE they will fulfill your order. That item is only shipped to Amazon when someone orders one.

I have also seen Amazon ship items from other warehouses to one, before they fulfill your order. Everything comes in one box that way. Dumb as a box of hammers, if you asked me.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is sling TV really "live"?if so what time zone is it live for?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow....not really sure about that, we're EST so I'm assuming it's whatever zone you're in?

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm a Prime member, and watch it, Netflix, etc through my smart Blu-ray player. I've never been charged for anything that shows free to a Prime member.

Last edited:

-=Rob=-

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Is sling TV really "live"?if so what time zone is it live for?
Yes, SlingTV is live. If you look to see what's on ESPN in your time zone for example, then that's what's on it. I've been using Sling TV for awhile and it works good for us. I added on the additional sports package so I'm paying $25/month for mine, $24.99 actually I think it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Not everything they sell, is in an Amazon warehouse. Some items are in a store somewhere, and have to be shipped into the warehouse BEFORE they will fulfill your order. That item is only shipped to Amazon when someone orders one.

I have also seen Amazon ship items from other warehouses to one, before they fulfill your order. Everything comes in one box that way. Dumb as a box of hammers, if you asked me.

Not only that , some items are a lot cheaper elsewhere . People order from them out of habit , pay more and then get goosed with crazy shipping charges . They are ok . for some stuff , but you have to comparison shop.

Tom950

VU Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use the MXIII with Kodi(The Beast). Works great

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sometimes a company will charge a dollar on a credit/debit card to verify that it is a legitimate card, then that dollar will get refunded after a few days (depends on the cardholder company).

As for shipping, amazon doesn't store things in non-amazon warehouses. If it doesn't say "sold by amazon" under the title, then it is being sold by a regular person or different company, not amazon. These people are just using amazon to sell their goods the same way people use ebay to sell things. Anybody can sell their items through amazon for a fee, a bit higher fee if you want it stored in an amazon warehouse as well (it will say "sold by xxx, fulfilled by amazon" under the title on the item page)

As for shipping from one amazon warehouse to another, would you rather pay a higher shipping charge to get it something mailed across the country or save money to have it mailed from your neighboring state? Often times amazon will move stuff from one warehouse to another (and it's by the truck load, not just a few items) to reduce shipping costs and to combine multiple items in one order. Would you rather pay for shipping for each individual item from different states?

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As for tv service, last spring I cancelled my satellite and got a roku for my living room TV.
Great little device. Have a subscription to Hulu as well, which also works via cell phone app.

Still need to get some for the bedroom TVs, but they are hooked up to gaming computers as additional monitors and my media PC has 10TB of movies and TV shows so not really in a rush to get roku for them.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Thank You! This explains much to me. Once in awhile I buy something from EBay & It comes in an Amazon box. But it makes sense now. Thought the EBay seller used a box that they already had. EBay seller is bouncing products from Amazon & Charging me more as kind of a drop ship depot. Bravo, somebody's thinking. I like that. :cool:

For the amazon fire stick look into installing the "kodi" app. Its a legit free streaming app. Pretty much just type in which show you want to watch and presto. Hope this helps.

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't know how that happened? I've been a prime member for a long time and never got charged.. I don't get this if it's a prime and u paid for prime there was NO reason for that 1$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't have the stick though I use Xbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I refuse to use Amazon and pay for over the air programming on general principle.

ARRRGH pirate steaming for me.

VU Sponsors