American Heart Association Recommends FDA Regulate E-Cigs Like Tobacco

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
More fun times....

American Heart Association Recommends FDA Regulate E-Cigs Like Tobacco
Written by Cameron Scott
Published on August 24, 2014

Advocates of e-cigarettes say they're a healthier alternative to smoking. Opponents say they're just a way for tobacco companies to get more people hooked. The American Heart Association has weighed the evidence and says e-cigs should be closely monitored.

Just when you thought tobacco was out, e-cigarettes brought it back in.

The re-emergence of smoking, now with electronic vaporizing e-cigarettes, has caught regulators flat-footed. Public health groups have scrambled to respond to proponents’ claims that the high-tech cigarettes are safer for smokers and don’t produce secondhand smoke.

The American Heart Association (AHA) is hoping to bring some clarity to the issue with a detailed account of the science on e-cigarettes and recommendations about how they should be regulated.

Tobacco or Not Tobacco?

The AHA calls for e-cigarettes to be categorized as tobacco products, which would allow the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to regulate them as it does cigarettes and smokeless tobacco.

“We believe strongly that this is a tobacco product,” said Aruni Bhatnagar, a professor of environmental cardiology at the University of Louisville and the lead author of the AHA paper, published today in its journal Circulation. (PDF link: http://circ.ahajournals.org/lookup/doi/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000107)

It may seem obvious, but the FDA only gained the right to regulate tobacco products in 2009. And though nicotine is the addictive component of tobacco, it’s also found in lesser concentrations in related plants, including tomatoes and eggplants. The FDA’s effort to regulate e-cigarettes as drugs was shot down in a 2010 court decision. But it is continuing to try to regulate them as tobacco products.

The law specifically lists what counts as tobacco products for the FDA's purpose. But it allows the agency to add other products that meet “the statutory definition of a tobacco product, which is ‘made or derived from tobacco’” after going through a rulemaking process, said Jennifer Haliski, an FDA spokeswoman.

“That process is happening now,” Haliski said.

E-cigarette advocates argue that their products, also called “vapes,” are safer than conventional cigarettes and give many smokers a healthier alternative or even a pathway to quitting.

The AHA paper says that the evidence to support these claims is weak.

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/aha-recommends-regulating-e-cigs-082414

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Aetna Ventures, LLC, Comcast Ventures, GE, Investor Growth Capital, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, Reed Elsevier Ventures, U.S. News & World Report, and VantagePoint Capital Partners.[

these are the private investors who own healthline.com....and the AHA is a charity media front.

Last edited:

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just to show how skewed the AHA is, on their web page right now, their first headline is that vaping is a danger and they market to kids...the next headline is, Aspirin can save your life.....yeah, take twelve of them and call me in the morning to tell me how dangerous Ecigs are...LOL Ecigs are saving lives, Aspirin can kill you, and is sold over the counter. P.S. how are they marketed to kids, when you have to be 18 to buy vaping gear and liquids? Last time I looked, Vape stores didn't have toys in the window of their store. As far as flavors are concerned....Am I not allowed to like Sugar Cookies after I turned 18? The AHA is a charity, the fifth largest in the US.... They would rather stamp their name and logo on a box of cereal, than see a person eat a bowl of fruit for breakfast. Sometimes I get so pissed off at the corruption in this country.

Last edited:

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Without bothering to fact check you (too lazy) I will say that you made a lucid well thought out post. Overall, I agree.
Just to show what kind of idiots the AHA are, on their web page right now, their first headline is that vaping is a danger and they market to kids...the next headline is, Aspirin can save your life.....yeah, take twelve of them and call me in the morning to tell me how dangerous Ecigs are...LOL Ecigs are saving lives, Aspirin can kill you, and is sold over the counter. P.S. how are they marketed to kids, when you have to be 18 to buy vaping gear and liquids? Last time I looked, Vape stores didn't have toys in the window of their store. As far as flavors are concerned....Am I not allowed to like Sugar Cookies after I turned 18? The AHA is a charity, the fifth largest in the US...Scum bags. They would rather stamp their name and logo on a box of cereal, than see a person eat a bowl of fruit for breakfast. Sometimes I get so pissed off at the corruption in this country, Fuck Social Liberals.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can promise you this, ban my Vape devices and my juices, and I will never smoke again, purely out of spite....and I wont be alone in that one.

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
FDA cant regulate devices. All these scares are bs. Its all Big Pharma, cancer centers, and politics/money. Besides I can, as well as many make my own mod and attys. It isnt hard to do so. Besides FDA tried doing this regulate bs years ago, and lost the battle in court.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
AHA recent Document on Electronic Cigarettes released 9/24 [Circulation. published online August 24, 2014] You will have to downland the PDF but its as ANTZ as you can get----------http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/early/2014/08/22/CIR.0000000000000107.citation

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dude, ITS CALLED CAPITALISM...
This country is so corrupt,controlled by the 1%,I wont be surprise if FDA succeed on this...
Sent from my
LUMIA 1520

Dude... This country is controlled by the GOVERNMENT. They create the conditions that allow them to pick the "1%" that are allowed to succeed. Then, they manage to convince the "99%" that they are "working for the people" while holding them down. Then, they manage to convince enough people that the people trying to break up that system are "extremists". We need to break up the group think and educate people so that they are smart enough to see through that sham.

I do admire the left's ability to plant ridiculous ideas like a "1%", and to convince so many people to buy into that line of thinking. If we want it to end, we need to stop listening to people who say that they are on our side, and start doing the opposite of what they say.

The real power to stop this shit is in the hands of the people, but we will never fix it as long as the general population is pissed off at the wrong people. Listen to those telling you that the 1% is the problem, THEN look in depth at what the people telling you that are all about. They keep the power. They get to pick which of their friends get the "good" deals (via croney capitalism).They get to choose which people have the weight of the government on their backs, and which ones don't. They get to control what our kids are taught. They get to control what is put on TV, in the news, and in the papers. They get to control what values we live by by penalizing behaviour that they do not like. They also get to protect industries and markets run by their friends, like big tobacco, big pharm, etc..

It is so frustrating to watch people getting controlled while being so convinced that that they are not. Stop fighting on the side of the people creating the conditions that we are complaining about.

<rant mode: off>

Bold Vapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Making your voice heard here in the forum's is a great place to start. But "we" the Vaping community are merely riding along on the coat tails of confusion at this point and we need to start getting "active" about this. If "we" want to have our voice's heard we need speak up. Following is a letter I wrote and sent to my local state senator. It's not perfect, I wish I was more educated about facts and figures, data, etc. etc. But it's a start.

Write a letter, sign a petition, a couple of clicks with your mouse is all it takes. Get involved...

"Hello Senator Carper, Likely I should have chosen "health" as my email topic however I personally feel that "Education", at least for this subject or point in time is more appropriate.

I'm speaking on the subject of Smoking Cessation and specifically "E-cigs" or "Vaping" as it is more widely coming to be known.

Admittedly, I am a nicotine addict. I have tried quitting several times in several ways over several years, Cold turkey, gum, patches, hypnosis. None of them with any lasting success. Ultimately I always found myself purchasing yet another pack of cigarettes and satisfying my addiction in that way. I point the finger of blame for this drug addiction squarely at the U.S. Tobacco industry.

I am certain that you are already well aware of the high cost millions upon millions of Americans pay annually for their addiction. Not only in hard earned dollars but also with their failing health and unfortunately for many, their very lives. How much does this addiction cost the U.S. Economy every year Senator Carper?

Well, I have some GREAT NEWS for you sir. What I specifically want you to know is how I have finally been able to free myself of my nicotine addiction and to "educate" you on how I did it. "Vaping"

I am soo very happy to report to you that after years and years of habitual smoking and tobacco use I am free of it! I can smell aromas, I can breathe, I mean sir, really “BREATHE”. My car does not stink, my clothes, my hair, my hands, my face do not stink. The disgusting yellow stain on my fingers is gone. All because I switched from combustible tobacco to non combustible Vaping.

I am still a nicotine addict. Thanks to U.S. Tobacco, I always will be. Thanks to being able to make my own choice as to the level of nicotine in my vaping e-juice, I have been able to wean myself down to almost zero (0) nicotine over the course of only 10 months.
I feel great and could not be happier, Not too mention how much money I have saved, and how many quality years of life I have added. I started noticing a substantial improvement in my physical health within just a few weeks!

Senator Carper, I no longer smell like an ashtray, Now I smell like cookies!

My dear Senator Carper. There are millions and millions of American's just like me. We are finally having the victory over tobacco addiction by vaping instead.

I am a respectful person. I am not trying to advocate public vaping in restaurants, public buildings nor any place that combustible smoking is currently not allowed. Also I am certainly not advocating that vaping or the sale of vaping devices, e-juice or e-cigs be allowed for sale to minor's.
What does concern me, and concerns me very much is the federal government's trending towards lumping the vaping industry in with the tobacco industry. IT'S NOT THE SAME....

PLEASE Senator Carper. Peoples lives are being saved, Peoples lives are being changed, And they are doing it themselves...
Yes, I agree that any substance that people are ingesting into their bodies should be evaluated, and Yes Guidelines effected to insure that said products are safe or at least the "ingredients" of e-juice be required to be pharma or kosher grade. But for my lifes sake, and the lives of millions like me, do not outright ban these products or regulate them so much that cigarettes become the cheaper alternative.

Take a close "educated" look at how many actual ingredients there are in E-juice. there are basically four major ingredients. In my case two (2) of them are vegetable based. The rest are pharmaceutical or kosher grade. Do you see any carcinogens? Well yes, there's Nicotine which is also found in patches and gum, tomatoes, ketchup and even baby food. But any others? Now take a look at the ingredients and carcinogens found in the products of our U.S. Tobacco companies. There are 1000's of them...

I DO NOT trust the tobacco companies, They have been knowingly and secretly making drug addicts out of the worlds population for decades and getting away with it. Now they are scared to death of losing generations of good paying customers, customers that they have been purposely manipulating and making drug addicts out of for decades, billions upon billions of dollars are no longer flowing into their coffers and they are scrambling…...

They are wolves in sheeps clothing Senator Carper. They are the only ones who have anything to gain by duping the U.S. Populace and Government into applying it's heavy and swift "over-regulating" hand upon a product that has given me, and millions of others like me a new lease on life.

Please Senator Carper, urge your fellow senators and constituents to really take the time to get "educated" on what's going on here. Make no decisions and support none until the facts about vaping are fully and honestly studied, tested and fully understood. I would also like or better yet demand that government start leaning an honest and objective ear towards the vaping industry and the millions of vaping tax payers that make up the vaping community.

There are several “RECENT” studies that have been accomplished, It’s a much better, quality product than was being available for purchase and use even only 3 years ago.

The issue should not be about the vaping “hardware” but about the Juice itself. Personally I think that any e-juice manufactured by an “off-shore” source should not be allowed for sale to the public. Any country that can’t even make a safe dry wall should not be allowed to sell an ingestible product on our shores.

The “American” e-juice manufacturing industry is basically a fledgling community. I purchase my e-juice from a local source, It’s made right here in Delaware. I know what ingredients are going into it and those ingredients are on the bottle’s label. I have never seen a list of ingredients on a pack of cigarettes.

My apologies if I have been too long winded about this issue.
I am just so very happy that vaping has finally given me the ability to quit smoking once and for all. I am now passionate about my life, and passionate about the product that has most likely saved or at the very least added years of healthier living to it.
Please Senator Carper, educate yourself on this issue, Vaping is saving lives….
Sincerest and best regards"

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Are we truly free people, or do we have lenient masters? The powers that be, have split us into separate people and parties, when we are all the same.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice letter, Bold. I just hope that Senator Carper actually reads it. I doubt it, but I hope so.

Very true, Celtic. One party claims to be helping, while causing disaster. The other party claims to be fighting to stop the disaster, but they simply put up the appearance of a fight long enough to enjoy the fruits of being a member of the ruling class. Ever wonder why both parties unload on the Tea Party? Both parties like their current situations, and they just can't allow regular citizens to become part of the political process. That would screw up their little game.

Bold Vapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's great to be concerned and even greater to be able to express that concern. Give it some teeth and Join CASAA, submit your testimonial. There is so much confusion going on about vaping right now and the so called "respected" health organizations are putting out some very well financed and researched bullshit. Get involved....

Not that I've been "drinking the koolaid" but without some organization and a collective voice/message, who know's whats going to happen...

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
wow ain't that some shit! and so full of fucking shit in the same breath.
How these entities are so pushing and shilling for more taxes and in the pocket of BT and BP.
Having seen first hand the health increase not a decrease I think less tampering from big government is in order but more education not the taxation and blundering that is going on.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Last edited:

Bold Vapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@5150sick
I have to tell you sir that I really admire and appreciate that you are keeping up with all these articles and are making them available to the rest of us. Knowledge IS power.

Keep up the great work!

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I wonder how the American Lung Association feels about e-cigs vs tobacco lol

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
@5150sick
I have to tell you sir that I really admire and appreciate that you are keeping up with all these articles and are making them available to the rest of us. Knowledge IS power.

Keep up the great work!
I usually post a bunch of articles then wait a couple of days then post more.
This method usually keeps me from posing 2 or 3 similar stories from different authors.
So much info is just regurgitated between sites.
Especially the ANTZ propaganda scaremongering articles.
I can only read a couple of those per day or I start getting pissed off (and depressed :() :mad::mad::mad:!!

Last edited:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I wonder how the American Lung Association feels about e-cigs vs tobacco lol
They have said if the BP products don't work do not try ecig but go back to using tobacco cigs.

Now ain't that a kick in the taint.

VU Sponsors