Amount of flavoring in Hics Recipes

EWS111

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi - As a newby in DIY liquids this is my first post but this forum has been a huge asset in my quest for knowledge!

I Really Like Hics recipes and the nuances shared with them But I have found that I have to double or triple the amount of flavorings to get what I think is good flavor! In general I've found that I like my flavorings to be 17 to 24% of the juice!
I vape 65VG/35PG with nic at 20mg. I fire dual coil devises at 25 watts and single coil at 15W.
Don't know if it is the vape setup or this old farts burned out tastebuds causing this but would appreciate any comments!

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Are you sure you are using Flavor Art flavoring?
and welcome to the forum, ews ;)

EWS111

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Are you sure you are using Flavor Art flavoring?
and welcome to the forum, ews ;)
Yes! I'm using the exact FA flavors called out in the recipes! Thanks for the welcome Smoky Blue!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When did you give up smoking? It can take months for tastebuds to rejuvenate, and even then some people still need more flavoring. 17-24% is reallky high for FA, but if that's what you need, then that's what you need!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Hi EWS,
I vape max-VG; I have to limit even the PG in flavorings (FA flavorings use it) to keep my tinnitus under control. So most of my recipes are made with the minimum flavoring I can use and still get full flavor. There are quite a few exceptions where I use higher percents, and I usually note that with the recipe.

I know a lot of people use 50% more or double the percents I list. In fact, you might find this method helpful. I use it myself with favorite recipes so that I can get out all the flavoring bottles just once, then make small batches (light) for myself, (strong) for my partner, (in between) for some friends. It saves a lot of time and lets you adjust any recipe to any strength super easily.

I'll be honest, there's no way I'd enjoy 17-24% FA flavorings, even if the PG weren't an issue for me. I can use a few at 10% or more to get a huge flavor blast (I go crazy with Anise, for example), but 20% wouldn't be vape-able for me. I use really basic hardware: protank-like and EVOD/mt3-type tanks on eGo-type batteries, generally 2.0 ohm coils, generally around 3.9 volts. A rare now-and-then, I break out low-resistance Boge cartomizers and really wimpy 808 batteries for bold tobacco flavors.

I'd be interested to hear what percents you like on other (non-FA) flavorings. I have lots of others and find FA is usually stronger than the same flavor from Flavor West or TFA, for example. Then again, there are some super-concentrates out there even stronger than FA, in my opinion.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I just read in another thread last night where someone thought TFA and FA were the same. TFA - The Flavor Apprentice, FA - FlavourArt.

EWS111, when I first started mixing, I was using pretty high % that made others think I was crazy. So, I started dropping the % and noticed I could still taste the flavors quite well. With HICs recipes I stayed true to what was listed. If I didn't taste it as well as I liked, I did up the % a bit. Some flavors I still do, but over time I began to get real deal flavor. I'm sure many people have thought, or still think, that the % is quite low. Then they try it.

I started DIY about 5 months after I quit smoking. It's been a little over a year now since I stopped. I can now taste HIC's recipes fully as written. If I increase a flavor, it's just a matter of preference. FlavourArt really is a stronger flavoring in most cases.

I wish you luck with it!

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I love HIC's recipes, too. But I did burn out some taste buds, although many did recuperate. I also have to make recipes stronger, but they are so good! Another is wllmc, lighter percentages, but so worth making the adjustments. After trying some different recipes, you will get to know which "chef" is light, medium or heavy on flavor. Then you can adjust accordingly. Glad to see you here!

EWS111

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When did you give up smoking? It can take months for tastebuds to rejuvenate, and even then some people still need more flavoring. 17-24% is reallky high for FA, but if that's what you need, then that's what you need!
Gave up inhaling small cigars 3 months ago so I'm sure my tastebuds have been severely degraded! The 24% was with a recipe using TFA, 17-18% works good for me so far in the FA recipes I've tried!
Thanks for the response!

EWS111

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi EWS,
I vape max-VG; I have to limit even the PG in flavorings (FA flavorings use it) to keep my tinnitus under control. So most of my recipes are made with the minimum flavoring I can use and still get full flavor. There are quite a few exceptions where I use higher percents, and I usually note that with the recipe.

I know a lot of people use 50% more or double the percents I list. In fact, you might find this method helpful. I use it myself with favorite recipes so that I can get out all the flavoring bottles just once, then make small batches (light) for myself, (strong) for my partner, (in between) for some friends. It saves a lot of time and lets you adjust any recipe to any strength super easily.

I'll be honest, there's no way I'd enjoy 17-24% FA flavorings, even if the PG weren't an issue for me. I can use a few at 10% or more to get a huge flavor blast (I go crazy with Anise, for example), but 20% wouldn't be vape-able for me. I use really basic hardware: protank-like and EVOD/mt3-type tanks on eGo-type batteries, generally 2.0 ohm coils, generally around 3.9 volts. A rare now-and-then, I break out low-resistance Boge cartomizers and really wimpy 808 batteries for bold tobacco flavors.

I'd be interested to hear what percents you like on other (non-FA) flavorings. I have lots of others and find FA is usually stronger than the same flavor from Flavor West or TFA, for example. Then again, there are some super-concentrates out there even stronger than FA, in my opinion.

Thanks so much for your wonderful recipes!!
Right now I'm Vaping HIC's Grand Marnier Mouse at exactly 2X the exact flavorings I'm doing it on a Magma Dripper sitting on a Sigelei 50 Watt Box Mod set at 30Watts -- It's good!!
Your suggestion on putting together batches is good and whatI do now! I mix up a big batch of VG,PG, & Nic that will have the desired VG,PG, & Nic after I've added about 20% PG Flavoring. This seems to be working good! I mix your recipes exactly as written taste, then when I find it too weak for my worn out tastebuds it's an easy thing to just double the flavor!
Thanks for Your Response!

EWS111

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just read in another thread last night where someone thought TFA and FA were the same. TFA - The Flavor Apprentice, FA - FlavourArt.

EWS111, when I first started mixing, I was using pretty high % that made others think I was crazy. So, I started dropping the % and noticed I could still taste the flavors quite well. With HICs recipes I stayed true to what was listed. If I didn't taste it as well as I liked, I did up the % a bit. Some flavors I still do, but over time I began to get real deal flavor. I'm sure many people have thought, or still think, that the % is quite low. Then they try it.

I started DIY about 5 months after I quit smoking. It's been a little over a year now since I stopped. I can now taste HIC's recipes fully as written. If I increase a flavor, it's just a matter of preference. FlavourArt really is a stronger flavoring in most cases.

I wish you luck with it!

Thanks much for the response! I suspect my experience will end up being much like Yours!

EWS111

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I love HIC's recipes, too. But I did burn out some taste buds, although many did recuperate. I also have to make recipes stronger, but they are so good! Another is wllmc, lighter percentages, but so worth making the adjustments. After trying some different recipes, you will get to know which "chef" is light, medium or heavy on flavor. Then you can adjust accordingly. Glad to see you here!

Thanks much for the feedback and good advise on knowing the tendacy of individual chefs!

jensy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am also one that has to up the percentages. I quit smoking nine months ago and I thought my taste buds were good but I find I have to double HIC's and Wllmc recipes. It's no problem to do it and is so well worth it to taste their fabulous creations.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OH
Hi EWS,

Holy shit HIC I did not even think about PG and tinnitus link... I have been wondering why mine has been into the realm of the super EEEEEEE recently.

Edd

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
anyone having any issues with mine?? :)

I pretty much only have FA flavors, so I don't think I've tried any YET! As soon as my order gets here, lol, I can't wait to try the Winston light recipe you put up on the fly the other day.

I haven't had any trouble with anyones recipes and I don't think I have ever adjusted any up. But, I do find when I try to make something of my own I can't help but creep up the percents. One mistake I made in the very begining was not shaking stuff up enough, and when I first got my flavors I didn't shake them up at all doh. Now I shake the snot outta everything:oops:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
@Edd .. lol.. I bounce between tfa, vz, and fa.. then my extracts.. and none in particular order ;)

can't help it HIC.. last winter I was told was too light.. now.. I am not sure..
I bumped up my percentages and well.. they aren't at max - i dont think, but definitely not light..
then again, I am all vg, except for flavorings.. most of my favs are under 8%pg..

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I have just the one for you, Tball.. but ignore the name :D haha!!

Sparkles..

5% Pear tfa
4% Watermelon tfa
1% Vienna Cream fa
1% Pineapple tfa
1% Pomegranate Cap
1% W Peach fa
1% Sweetener
1% Sour
.5% Em

and nopes no sparkles in it.. shoulda named it Glitter or..
but everyone drains my bottles over this one ;)

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Sparkles..

5% Pear tfa
4% Watermelon tfa
1% Vienna Cream fa
1% Pineapple tfa
1% Pomegranate Cap
1% W Peach fa
1% Sweetener
1% Sour
.5% Em

Your a peach. I will make this right now !!!

I'm only missing the cap pom . I have TFA and FA Pom ..... Can I switch them just this
One time ? And which one ?

Your just too cool !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Your a peach. I will make this right now !!!

I'm only missing the cap pom . I have TFA and FA Pom ..... Can I switch them just this
One time ? And which one ?

Your just too cool !!

go with the tfa.. cap and tfa are bout similar.. ;)

one day you might have to come up and vape with me, Tball..

EWS111

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Sparkles..

5% Pear tfa
4% Watermelon tfa
1% Vienna Cream fa
1% Pineapple tfa
1% Pomegranate Cap
1% W Peach fa
1% Sweetener
1% Sour
.5% Em

This looks good and I notice it is 15.5% flavoring so there is a good chance that I would think it adequate flavor as listed! When I look at HIC's recipes that total 5 to 8% Flavoring, while the mix of flavorings is genious, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to increase the flavor mix!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This looks good and I notice it is 15.5% flavoring so there is a good chance that I would think it adequate flavor as listed! When I look at HIC's recipes that total 5 to 8% Flavoring, while the mix of flavorings is genious, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to increase the flavor mix!
Hic uses mainly flavor art which is much more concentrated than tfa!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

TFA flavors are generally weaker than FA. My recipes with TFA average 12-15% flavoring. But 5-8% of FA flavorings is generally about the same strength.

Here's one that uses 10% TFA flavors plus 2% FA, and you taste an equal balance of the brands: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-white-chocolate-cappuccino-truffles.1959/

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
TFA flavors are generally weaker than FA. My recipes with TFA average 12-15% flavoring. But 5-8% of FA flavorings is generally about the same strength.

Here's one that uses 10% TFA flavors plus 2% FA, and you taste an equal balance of the brands: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-white-chocolate-cappuccino-truffles.1959/
I agree with HIC and might I add that there are many TFA recipies that will go up to 30% flavoring.

In my opinion TFA waters down their flavors ( not all but in my experience most of them ) not all though. By saying watered down , I may should say " PG down" their flavors.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Sparkles..

5% Pear tfa
4% Watermelon tfa
1% Vienna Cream fa
1% Pineapple tfa
1% Pomegranate Cap
1% W Peach fa
1% Sweetener
1% Sour
.5% Em

Did I mention that this is a Top Drawer juice ? Damn girl !

Seanchai

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Funny that this thread just popped up today, as I was just coming over to post this. About a month ago, I mixed some of HIC's Swiss Bliss and some of his German Chocolate Haze. Couldn't taste the flavor in the first, and the second, all I got was the Espresso. I put them in a cabinet to steep. (I know you "shake and vape," HIC, but I've learned that whenever I'm dissatisfied with an outcome, it's worth sticking it in a cupboard for a while before giving up on it.)

About a week later, no change. I got impatient and mixed a second batch of both, raising the percentages proportionally by half again each. Better flavor, but still not what I was hoping for. I put those up, too.

Four weeks out from the first batch and three weeks out from the second, looking for a change of pace flavor wise, I remembered those mixes were up in the cupboard and tried them again. The original percentages have blossomed, and the ones I pumped up the flavor on are now a bit too strong... not unvapable by any means, but right on the edge of having that je nais se quois of oddness.

I vape max VG, so that may be part of the puzzle (though obviously not all, since HIC vapes max VG too).

I now label all of my HIC mixes with BE PATIENT at the bottom, as a reminder that if a particular recipe isn't a "shake and vape" for me, the next step needs to be to put it away for a while, not necessarily to dump more flavoring in there. Now, I only add flavoring if the flavor is too weak *after* a steep.

And by the way.... thanks, HIC. They're delicious!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
might be useful to know my definition of "shake and vape". I make tiny batches, rarely more than will be used in a few days. They're often 3-6ml, sometimes only 1.5ml. I do use all VG nic (+15-20% water), which is thicker than PG, so I set the finished little bottle (capped) in a cup of hot tap water until it's watery-thin. Then I shake the heck out of it by hand. I'll often drop it back in the water and repeat that, if it's something with lots of different flavors. I almost always fill a tank (or two) with it right away. Tobaccos and really creamy recipes are exceptions and sit around a while before I try them.

Maybe the heat, tiny bottles, or sitting in a tank for a while are accomplishing the same thing as the intentional steeping some of you do. Or maybe my taste buds are shot and everything tastes just fine to me without steeping. lol!

Seanchai

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
might be useful to know my definition of "shake and vape". I make tiny batches, rarely more than will be used in a few days. They're often 3-6ml, sometimes only 1.5ml. I do use all VG nic (+15-20% water), which is thicker than PG, so I set the finished little bottle (capped) in a cup of hot tap water until it's watery-thin. Then I shake the heck out of it by hand. I'll often drop it back in the water and repeat that, if it's something with lots of different flavors. I almost always fill a tank (or two) with it right away. Tobaccos and really creamy recipes are exceptions and sit around a while before I try them.

I use the same process you do, including vaping some right away; as you and others have said many times, it's useful to know where you're starting from, whether you end up steeping or not. :) I suspect part of the reason I'm a dedicated steeper is because I'm *very* sensitive to the alcohol in flavorings. I can't taste it much in fresh mixed FA recipes the way I can in TFA recipes, but I think it may be traces of that alcohol giving me the initial muted flavor effect I get with FA. Just a theory... all I know for sure is my tastebuds are much happier when I can keep my grubby mitts off the bottles for a little while after that initial taste test!

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
anyone having any issues with mine?? :)
@Smoky Blue - Your recipes seem to be right in the middle ground of where I like my flavoring percentage as well. Occasionally, I might decrease percentage by 10% or so for my personal use (I like flavors medium to weak) but for the most part, dead on for most of the vaping population. Likely a little lower than the average commercial grade juice which is terribly over flavored to me most of the time.

@HeadInClouds - I personally like most of your recipes as they are. My next door neighbor I mix them about 50% higher to try (he's a total nut for chocolates and alcoholic beverages, which I don't deal with much) but he loves your stuff.

I'm a fruit guy for the most part but I enjoy a bit of variety with some dessert and cream recipes now and then.

I should also note that most juices I vape somewhere between 27w and 38w on 1 ohm dual coil set ups.

Love trying out your guys recipes. Have learned a ton about flavor combinations trying out a lot of Smoky's lately. So weird sometimes how flavors react with each other.

Thanks again for the awesome quality of the content you contribute here.

@wllmc - your flavor percentages are dead on for me also bud!

@EWS111 - I think you will find that with enough time, regardless of how long you smoked for, your taste buds will begin to recuperate. It took me at least 9 months of vaping before I really got my taste buds back. For reference, I smoked on average a pack of day of marlboro light menthols for 15 years.

Dixie1954

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
To me this all proves that 25% of people are like me and like weaker amounts of flavorings,50% are ok with the "norm",and still 25% more like more flavorings. Nothing weird going on here so just mix it the way you want it whatever works for you is right on:) ok here is my take lol Smoky Blue sorta makes me nervous lol but I will get brave enough to try her mixes someday - I have added them to ejuicemeup LOL:D HIC's are very close to what amounts I like - some are a bit over it LOL:cool: and everyone elses are ok if I find the percentages off putting I can halve them or cut them to 1/3 flavorings easily enough:rolleyes: So PLEASE KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK all of you on this forum, you may inspire a DIYing genius - Not me of course *giggles*;)

dnezarmichael

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It took me a while to understand Hics recipes. The reason was I never fully understood VG/PG and water.

I used to mix the higher VG ratios (90/10 - 80/20) and his recipes seemed weak in flavor.

So I reread all of his posts and noticed that he was using water in his mixes and the mixes where warm. What I learned is that water is a excellent flavor carrier, and my high VG mixes where killing the flavor level, also vaping a warm mix with vg, heightens the flavor.

So to fix the problem, I started to either mix in more water, or more pg, and no more problems.

Basically, Ratios make a big difference, YMMV

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
To me this all proves that 25% of people are like me and like weaker amounts of flavorings,50% are ok with the "norm",and still 25% more like more flavorings. Nothing weird going on here so just mix it the way you want it whatever works for you is right on:) ok here is my take lol Smoky Blue sorta makes me nervous lol but I will get brave enough to try her mixes someday - I have added them to ejuicemeup LOL:D HIC's are very close to what amounts I like - some are a bit over it LOL:cool: and everyone elses are ok if I find the percentages off putting I can halve them or cut them to 1/3 flavorings easily enough:rolleyes: So PLEASE KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK all of you on this forum, you may inspire a DIYing genius - Not me of course *giggles*;)

Don't be skeered!! Go ahead.. and play with your flavors.. You won't know, if you don't! ;)

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been exclusively vaping DIY for almost a year now, using a usual average of 20% flavoring from TFA/Inw/Cap/Lorann. Early mix attempts with less usually left everything too weak.

I also had a weird transition coming over from cigs. In the beginning every juice i tried was alive with flavor. Then a few months in it all started tasting muted (not with actual food though, that stayed better). Had chalked it up to vapor's tongue...but here i am a year latter and it hasn't changed much in that regard. Fruits? Forget about it. Nothing i've tried or made is strong enough.

Anyway, picked up FA for the first time last week and whiped up a batch of HIC's Best Chocolate Ever mix at it's 5.5%. Which yeah, i was pretty skeptical at that low % lol. Ended up being one of the more flavorful juices i've tried after a 2 day steep which included a few hours in the crockpot.. Good chocolate indeed.

VU Sponsors