animal rescue thread

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After looking around at all the animal threads im seeing that we are one animal loving bunch. And loads of us do the rescue thing.I, myself, got sucked into it.Being married to a DVM its a marital hazzard.Ifigured we could help each other out a bit and spread the word about animals we have available for adoption.We all know exposure is paramount, the more people who know,the better the animals odds of getting a permanent home.throught this we can have not only our contacts but our contacts contacts too.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Speaking for my family,

All of our furry family members (cats) have been rescues. The last showed up about 4 years ago on our doorstep after being abandoned.

But if you can find someone to rescue a critter or two, go for it.

Me, I am full up!

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is curly, he had his front leg broken when he was younger and it was never properly set. Now his leg has grown malformed. The only options are to either leave it as is or amputate. The leg isnt hurting him,amputating wont give any real benefit,so its staying. He needs an indoor home given that his leg isnt conducive to the outdoor lifestyle. Hes neutered,current on vaccinations and obnoxiously affectionate.
image.jpg

Last edited:

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I dont know what happened to the photo... He had a head when i posted it

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I dont know what happened to the photo... He had a head when i posted it

he still does :)

i have a dog and 3 cats...all rescues. also 3 orphan wild birds that i raised and have become pets.

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
he still does :)

i have a dog and 3 cats...all rescues. also 3 orphan wild birds that i raised and have become pets.
looking at it from my phone his head is cut off

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
After Groomer Photos 001.JPG This is one of my girls, Roxxie. She was a rescue, we got her from an older couple that couldn't take care of her. They found her abandoned in an mt house of theirs. Now, can someone please tell me, HOW could you abandon such a precious baby as this? She's a daddy's girl, & won't let me out of her sight.

She loves to sit on my lap & take rides in my truck, with her head out of the window in the summer. She's a beautiful baby, & I adore her......

Note....The date on the pic is way off, I got this new camera, and forgot how to set the date. I took this one 2 weeks ago, after they caame back from the groomer....:)

Last edited:

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is my second baby girl, Lapita. Her name is Spanish, and means "Little Wolf". And she's a definite daddy's girl too. Sleeps with us at night, over my head on 2 pillows. We rescued her from a home with too many dogs, and they were all bigger than her, which made her shy and timid, but she has come along way since we got her. I baby my girls, & love on them all day long.After Groomer Photos 002.JPG

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Another mesmerizing cutie pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Whiskey...they are my heart. The wife & I have always preferred to rescue, & we've always been so blessed in the process. In the last several years, we've rescued 5 dogs, & have taken care of them until their time here was done. I just have my Roxxie & Lapita now, but if I see the chance to rescue another one, I'll not hesitate. You know, dogs have more sense than some people.......just my opinion....lol

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree, They are wonderful animals and should be adored & loved, not abused and abandoned:)

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
one thing those of us in the rescue game will never understand is 'how'. i once delt with a guy who had to choose which of his dogs to surrender because the apartment he was moving to only allowed 2 and he had 3. id have looked for another apartment.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
one thing those of us in the rescue game will never understand is 'how'. i once delt with a guy who had to choose which of his dogs to surrender because the apartment he was moving to only allowed 2 and he had 3. id have looked for another apartment.
No way would I have ever given up one of my babies. Nope. NOT gonna happen.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Probably will be my last post on the forums. I was browsing around the other forums & came across a post where another forum member was slamming dogs, & saying they could "fuck off", and it lit a fuse in me that is very short when it comes to disrespecting the animals I love dearly. So I pretty much told that member to mind their own business, and that they could "fuck off" themselves.

So I anticipate some bitchin' pissin' & moanin' to the moderators, & a ban for me, but at this point, I don't care. I try my best to get along with everyone, and even overlook some discretions, but when you go on a fucking free for all and bash dogs, & tell the owners & the dogs to fuck off, well....all bets are off. No more Mr. nice guy.

I'm the type of person that is VERY protective of my dogs, & others that might be in some less than favorable situations, but because of no fault of their own. I've seen people have dogs just because they felt it was a status symbol, or because they bought the kid a dog, & then the kid got bored with the dog, & ignored it. That really irritates me to no end, to see people with dogs, & they have them chained to the ground outside to a piece of shit dog house, in all manner of weather.

And I've never been one to hide my feelings for dogs, & I've never been ashamed to show my love for dogs, so I cannot understand why some VU members think it's so goddamn funny to bash dogs and laugh at their misfortune. If Joe gave me th power for 1 hour, I would clean house! But, that's not gonna happen, so i wanted to take this oportunity to thank those of you that love their dogs & others as I do, & take great care of their babies.

My dogs are my world, & I could not function without them. I have severe chronic depresson, & being around my dogs helps me to get through the rough times. I trust my dogs, & have more respect for them than I do for some family members. So...always take care of your dogs, & respect them.

And to the person that slammed and disrespected dogs in that other post....well, you can STILL fuck off.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This ain't ECF, you won't be banned for telling someone to fuck off.... well, unless it's a Mod, etc. ;-)

If something really bothers you, you can tell a Mod and/or just hit Ignore on the person.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hitting the ignore button is an idea, & no doubt most of the VU has hit that button on me, I guess because I pretty much speak my mind. No point in hiding behind your feelings, they build up and over time they increase pressure, until 1 day they just bust open, so I prefer to get everything out up front...lol..probably why I am the most ignored member here...lol..But I do love my dogs IMMENSELY.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Dogs or cats, both deserve homes. YOU can tell a lot buy how a person treats animals let alone one of their animals.
I have in the past used violence to save an animal from an abuser, gave them a taste of their own medicine.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just found this thread and what a great thread it is . First i would like to say for anybody considering acquiring a new pet whether it be a dog (my favorite) or cats , please please please visit your local shelters first and foremost .

These places get a bad wrap and they do not deserve it , there are outstanding pets who sit and wait wishing somebody would give them another chance , i have always picked my companion from these local shelters , young and old dogs alike , doesn't matter to me , they all need love and will give you back tens times the love you show them in return .

The overwhelming majority ARE NOT problem animals , they are animals that were mostly given up by no fault of their own , family's can't afford or move to a new location that doesn't allow them to keep their pet (i personally would never move but thats just me ) but hey, not everyone considers their pet family unfortunately.

One of my pasttimes is going out most every night in the early morning hours and feed the strays , been doing it for years , especially when the cold weather sets in . I just love to do it , no pet should have to deal with that.

So , treat your companions like gold because no matter how hard you try in life, you will come to realize that there is nothing that will show such loyalty , unconditional love and constant companionship than mans best friend will .

Don't hire a breeder , there are way way too many great pets waiting for you already . Please visit your local towns shelter , you won't regret it.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Probably will be my last post on the forums. I was browsing around the other forums & came across a post where another forum member was slamming dogs, & saying they could "fuck off", and it lit a fuse in me that is very short when it comes to disrespecting the animals I love dearly. So I pretty much told that member to mind their own business, and that they could "fuck off" themselves.

So I anticipate some bitchin' pissin' & moanin' to the moderators, & a ban for me, but at this point, I don't care. I try my best to get along with everyone, and even overlook some discretions, but when you go on a fucking free for all and bash dogs, & tell the owners & the dogs to fuck off, well....all bets are off. No more Mr. nice guy.

I'm the type of person that is VERY protective of my dogs, & others that might be in some less than favorable situations, but because of no fault of their own. I've seen people have dogs just because they felt it was a status symbol, or because they bought the kid a dog, & then the kid got bored with the dog, & ignored it. That really irritates me to no end, to see people with dogs, & they have them chained to the ground outside to a piece of shit dog house, in all manner of weather.

And I've never been one to hide my feelings for dogs, &
I've never been ashamed to show my love for dogs, so I cannot understand why some VU members think it's so goddamn funny to bash dogs and laugh at their misfortune. If Joe gave me th power for 1 hour, I would clean house! But, that's not gonna happen, so i wanted to take this oportunity to thank those of you that love their dogs & others as I do, & take great care of their babies.

My dogs are my world, & I could not function without them. I have severe chronic depresson, & being around my dogs helps me to get through the rough times. I trust my dogs, & have more respect for them than I do for some family members. So...always take care of your dogs, & respect them.

And to the person that slammed and disrespected dogs in that other post....well, you can STILL fuck off.

I just saw this thread recently and did not see anyone bashing dogs , doesn't bother me if someone says they are not interested in owning one because thats their right .

I hope you don't mean some were saying they mistreat dogs on purpose , if thats the case they definitely deserve a big F U and a serious ass kicking to boot.

I really can't think of anything that would outrage me more than seeing that happen , i have never been violent in any way to anybody but if i see a pet being beat , watch the hell out cause your about to be steamrolled. I have absolutely Zero tolerance for that crap .

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just found this thread and what a great thread it is . First i would like to say for anybody considering acquiring a new pet whether it be a dog (my favorite) or cats , please please please visit your local shelters first and foremost .

These places get a bad wrap and they do not deserve it , there are outstanding pets who sit and wait wishing somebody would give them another chance , i have always picked my companion from these local shelters , young and old dogs alike , doesn't matter to me , they all need love and will give you back tens times the love you show them in return .

The overwhelming majority ARE NOT problem animals , they are animals that were mostly given up by no fault of their own , family's can't afford or move to a new location that doesn't allow them to keep their pet (i personally would never move but thats just me ) but hey, not everyone considers their pet family unfortunately.

One of my pasttimes is going out most every night in the early morning hours and feed the strays , been doing it for years , especially when the cold weather sets in . I just love to do it , no pet should have to deal with that.

So , treat your companions like gold because no matter how hard you try in life, you will come to realize that there is nothing that will show such loyalty , unconditional love and constant companionship than mans best friend will .

Don't hire a breeder , there are way way too many great pets waiting for you already . Please visit your local towns shelter , you won't regret it.
My girls, Roxxie & Lapita, their pics are at the beginning of this thread, well, they are my world! I am on disabilty for heart issues, & spend my days at home with them. And I talk to them, and get down on the floor with them all during the day. I ADORE my girls, & would definitely go insane with rage if someone ever hurt one of them. They were both rescues, & that's pretty much all I have ever wanted was rescues. It breaks my heart to see a dog without a home, and if I see a dog with a home, but on a chain, in a shitty set up dog house, I am always tempted to knock on the door and ask if I can build them a better shelter. I HATE, no, I mean I FUCKING HATE to see a beautiful dog outside, in the heat, or freezing winter, on a chain. Dogs are NOT lawn ornaments, & I feel SHOULD be in the warm or cool house with you.

Everytime I go out and about, I keep an eye out for strays, so the next time I go out, I make it a point to carry extra food, and I always carry extra blankets in my truck in case they are needed to warm up a lost or alone pet. So many dogs are without homes, & then too, so many people have dogs that they treat like a status symbol, and that it is. They spend no time with the dog, their kids lost interest a LONG time ago, & the dog is just forgotten. That is so sad...And I always tell people, if you are going to find a nw home for your pet, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT post it on Craigslist. I have heard of the dog fighter SCUMBAGS, trolling Craigslist for free of near free dogs, to use as a bait dog for fighter dogs. That INFURIATES me. Have you ever seen what happens to a bait dog? It's tear your heart out, literally.

I have a book, called Oogy, it's the story of a family that rescued a bait dog, and gave him a wonderful life. It's a really good book. So, yeah, I'm very passionate about my dogs, and ANY dog. I feel that some of them have more sense that some people....

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dogs are great Therapy for people and the dogs themselves get the attention Therapy they need as well, here's some shots of mine in action

f6219dc2-efc2-4d69-b906-9027b45350ea_zps7fbbb14a.jpg

user26987_pic6529_12756585221_zps8ef8f560.jpg

^^ Libby a rescue

IMG_1463_zpsb91c98fe.jpg

ppr_therapy_dogs12_6_13_3_zpsc254d06d.jpg

GetAttachment17.jpg

DSCN2910_zps9f444580.jpg

The lady in the top picture died of cancer 2 days later

Last edited:

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My girls, Roxxie & Lapita, their pics are at the beginning of this thread, well, they are my world! I am on disabilty for heart issues, & spend my days at home with them. And I talk to them, and get down on the floor with them all during the day. I ADORE my girls, & would definitely go insane with rage if someone ever hurt one of them. They were both rescues, & that's pretty much all I have ever wanted was rescues. It breaks my heart to see a dog without a home, and if I see a dog with a home, but on a chain, in a shitty set up dog house, I am always tempted to knock on the door and ask if I can build them a better shelter. I HATE, no, I mean I FUCKING HATE to see a beautiful dog outside, in the heat, or freezing winter, on a chain. Dogs are NOT lawn ornaments, & I feel SHOULD be in the warm or cool house with you.

Everytime I go out and about, I keep an eye out for strays, so the next time I go out, I make it a point to carry extra food, and I always carry extra blankets in my truck in case they are needed to warm up a lost or alone pet. So many dogs are without homes, & then too, so many people have dogs that they treat like a status symbol, and that it is. They spend no time with the dog, their kids lost interest a LONG time ago, & the dog is just forgotten. That is so sad...And I always tell people, if you are going to find a nw home for your pet, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT post it on Craigslist. I have heard of the dog fighter SCUMBAGS, trolling Craigslist for free of near free dogs, to use as a bait dog for fighter dogs. That INFURIATES me. Have you ever seen what happens to a bait dog? It's tear your heart out, literally.

I have a book, called Oogy, it's the story of a family that rescued a bait dog, and gave him a wonderful life. It's a really good book. So, yeah, I'm very passionate about my dogs, and ANY dog. I feel that some of them have more sense that some people....

Thanks for picking rescues , most make amazing pets , i hate when someone tells me they are going with a breeder . I hate to see ANY dog outside and forgotten about , don't care how ugly people think it is , it's perfect to me.

Regarding dog fighting , unfortunately I do know what thats about and if i ever came upon someone doing that , i would be thrown in jail for sure , no doubt about it. I would really just blow a fuse if i saw that and believe me it takes a hell of a lot to push me to that point but dog fighting would do it instantly .

As far as your last comment , i'm pretty sure all the dogs i have had are smarter and certainly better company than the people i have known. I just like them a lot more to be honest .

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dogs are great Therapy for people and the dogs themselves get the attention Therapy they need as well, here's some shots of mine in action

^^ Libby a rescue

IMG_1463_zpsb91c98fe.jpg

GetAttachment17.jpg

DSCN2910_zps9f444580.jpg

BEAUTIFUL dogs!! And I'm so glad the lady in the top picture was able to have a few momments of happiness and smiles with your dog. Thay are all so beautiful. I would LOVE to pile on the floor and play with every one of them! Just beautiful dogs Whiskey!!

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

^^ Libby a rescue

IMG_1463_zpsb91c98fe.jpg

GetAttachment17.jpg

DSCN2910_zps9f444580.jpg

Great stuff Whiskey , Libby is a real doll , i mean look at that face , you can tell she is so happy to be there lol.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Daniel, and I never feel guilty about spoiling them with love either, they are a very important if not one of the most important parts of our lives, they deserve the best!!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great stuff Whiskey , Libby is a real doll , i mean look at that face , you can tell she is so happy to be there lol.
She was a shy girl at first, you could tell she was not loved from where she came from, it took her a while to come around.She passed with a twinkle in her eye though because she was happy.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Now if only they could not run those commercials (at least when i'm watching) showing the suffering and dogs in cages , i have to switch it off EVERY time , can't take it man . Must be a real wimp , so a wimp i am , don't give a damn , wimps are cool , i think.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
She was a shy girl at first, you could tell she was not loved from where she came from, it took her a while to come around.She passed with a twinkle in her eye though because she was happy.

So sorry to hear that , i have to admit i have a brutal time with losing a pet , i mean really brutal , i just crumble .

Looked up crumble in the dictionary and it said "wimp" , oh well .

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now if only they could not run those commercials (at least when i'm watching) showing the suffering and dogs in cages , i have to switch it off EVERY time , can't take it man . Must be a real wimp , so a wimp i am , don't give a damn , wimps are cool , i think.
I cry seeing those, EVERYTIME

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wimps are the coolest

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
now you guys have me crying.. :(

is ok tho, there are reasons for everything.. and Daniel.. I still see you :p haha!! high 5..
and glad you are hanging in with us :)

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I cry seeing those, EVERYTIME

I don't know how you can get through those , i wish i could . Heard a story on the radio that put me in a sad mood today , they were talking about an elderly gentlemen being put into a hospital setting and for days the guys dog would find it's way to the entrance at the hospital and sit there, would not leave .

His house was a pretty long way away apparently but every time the dog was taken back to the home it would eventually end up finding it's way back to the hospital and staff would see it sitting outside looking in.

Sad thing is , the owner of the dog died and when i heard that i just went into a major depression , i'm still sick over it and feel so so bad.

Love and devotion like that is a rarity these days but not with mans best friend .

images

The only thing that gets me through losing a pet is the saying " better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all " it's still so hard though.

Last edited:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So many sad sad sad stories, we can't take them all but we can help the causes and try to find homes for these lost souls. My heart breaks for them,.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
[QUOTE="Smoky Blue, post: 206666, member: 4745"now you guys have me crying.. :(

is ok tho, there are reasons for everything.. and Daniel.. I still see you :p haha!! high 5..
and glad you are hanging in with us :)
[/QUOTE]

Get a hold of yourself Smoky , snap out of it . Actually crying is good , even for guys.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

Get a hold of yourself Smokey , snap out of it . Actually crying is good , even for guys.[/QUOTE]

omg..

(lmao)

i know VH.. still.. i hate to see sad stories on helpless animals..
its us they look to for everything..

and yes i know.. real men cry too.. but that just makes me want to bawl my eyes out.. :(

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So many sad sad sad stories, we can't take them all but we can help the causes and try to find homes for these lost souls. My heart breaks for them,.

Can't say it better than that, my thoughts exactly , but i will admit , if i won the lottery (no chance i know) but if i did , most is going to help these animals .

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Get a hold of yourself Smokey , snap out of it . Actually crying is good , even for guys.

omg..

(lmao)

i know VH.. still.. i hate to see sad stories on helpless animals..
its us they look to for everything..

and yes i know.. real men cry too.. but that just makes me want to bawl my eyes out.. :(
[/QUOTE]

I say let her rip , cryings good for you . I think if we can find a way out of this thread we will be able to recover but i still can't find an escape hatch , pretty sure i'm going to perish in here , at least i'm with mans best friends .

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
me too.. was on the phone with my dad and he heard me giggles over them.. :)
beautiful doggies, Whiskey

DougB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My Dukie boy is a 12-year-old Shepherd that I have had for 3 years. When I adopted him he was 74 pounds. Now he is a happy, healthy 124. Amazing, amazing loyal dog. He always has to be right where I am. Sweetheart of a dog.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My Dukie boy is a 12-year-old Shepherd that I have had for 3 years. When I adopted him he was 74 pounds. Now he is a happy, healthy 124. Amazing, amazing loyal dog. He always has to be right where I am. Sweetheart of a dog.

Thats great Doug , thank you so much my friend for adopting an older dog , that takes a special person for sure . Many are left behind for the pups and it's very sad .

You deserve a very enthusiastic

images

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A friend of ours did the unthinkable......needless to say, his very beloved pet was stuck In the house with his body for almost a week......cant imagine what it was like for the dog. a couple days later after His friend found him, The dog disappeared. The dog was his life. Gary had no kids, no wife, estranged from family elsewere. Nobody knows were he went.
Weird now. When I go to the pet store and look at the feeder goldfish tank, I kinda feel bad for the ones that are still alive, swimming amongst the dead.

VU Sponsors