Become a Patron!

Another dumb battery question.

I'm pretty nervous because I'm totally new to vaping and when I went into my local vape shop they set me up with a sub ohm device which I hear is really dangerous for a beginner. So I just want to make sure I'm doing it safely. What I have is a Modefined Prism mod, not sure what coil but it says 0.15 ohm 50-180 watt (80-120 best), and I'm also not sure about the batteries but there's 3 and they're brown and they say 18650 3000mAh 3.7v. When I vape, my mod screen says 80w, .17 ohm, 4.2 v. Is this safe for my batteries? What worries me is it's saying it's using 4.2v but my batteries only say 3.7. Does it matter that there's 3 of them? Sorry for asking questions that are probably really stupid but I am totally new and just want to make sure I'm doing this safely. Thanks!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sorry for asking questions that are probably really stupid but I am totally new and just want to make sure I'm doing this safely. Thanks!

Only stupid if you don't ask and choose not to learn. If your batteries tell you that they are 20 Amp, or over drain, I do not see any negative issues for you using sub-ohm. Again, it's a regulated mod. This means there is circuit board acting like a micro-computer inside. This 'regulates' the needed current from your batteries according to all the other variables someone using a mechanical mod has to figure out on paper, in their head.

Now, you've got three batteries in this mod. Be sure you keep three batteries 'dedicated' and together like they are 'married' for this mod and this mod only. This is important as the mod will 'expect' the three batteries 'in series', working together. This isn't saying you cannot swap out other batteries. You just need to be aware you do so in a triplet pairing up and use only that particular three with only that mod. *chuckles* I know that might sound a bit draconian. It isn't meant to be rather it's still a limitation of the technology.

The mod reading 4.2V is telling you that it is drawing that, in net from all three batteries. This is okay, it's what the chip inside does for you. The .17 Ω is not a big problem either. Your coil is rated by the maker at .15 Ω but that can fluctuate by a little bit. If you get ones that consistently rate out over .5 Ω higher or lower than what the maker rates for, don't get those coils anymore, find another supplier or maker. A few points plus or minus isn't terribly 'out of sorts'. Let it fall under 'poop happens'.

In sum, I think you're alright with where you are and what you're using. If I'm off the mark I'm sure other forum members can chime in and offer corrections, point you in a clearer direction.

Thanks so much for the helpful reply. However, now I've changed my coil to a Smok V8-T6 which is saying 0.21 ohms, 5.77 volts at 110 watts. Is this safe for my setup? Also regarding voltage, since I have 3 3.7v batteries, does that mean I shouldn't be running above 3.7 volts? Or is it all 3 batteries combined, meaning as long as it's under 11.1v I'm good?

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes it's all three batteries, and you can run over 11.1v safely. I've got a single battery system that I use when traveling. It has a 2500 mAh, 20 amp, 3.7v battery. The coil .4 ohm with a 40-60 watt range. I vape it at 42 watts and it hits 4.1v with no problems. If I were drawing that over a long period of time, say 2 to 5 minutes straight, then it could be an issue. But the short amount of time it takes for the puff is no big deal. So don't sweat it your fine. And who the hell told you that a sub ohm rig is dangerous for a beginner? That is such a crock! 90% tanks now days are sub ohm. If they were dangerous, we'd be blowing up newbs right and left!

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes it's all three batteries, and you can run over 11.1v safely. I've got a single battery system that I use when traveling. It has a 2500 mAh, 20 amp, 3.7v battery. The coil .4 ohm with a 40-60 watt range. I vape it at 42 watts and it hits 4.1v with no problems. If I were drawing that over a long period of time, say 2 to 5 minutes straight,and it could be an issue. But the short amount of time it takes for the puff is no big deal. So don't sweat it your fine. And who the hell told you that a sub ohm rig is dangerous for a beginner? That is such a crock! 90% tanks now days are sub ohm. If they were dangerous, we'd be blowing up newbs right and left!

Check it out.

SS316_28awg_0,6.jpg

2 strands of SS316 twisted then wrapped 8 times around a 3 mm ID. It reads out at around .6 Ω, was attempting .5 Ω. Not complaining as it still hits hard. :)

VU Sponsors