Become a Patron!

Another exploding E-Cigarette story in the News

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mech mod, unsuitable tank, unsuitable batteries. Probably an ICR battery and a short, or a dangerously low coil resistance.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Mech mod, unsuitable tank, unsuitable batteries. Probably an ICR battery and a short, or a dangerously low coil resistance.
Ditto!
In addition, a vendor that doesn't know what he/she is selling. Including, selling to a 16 year old.

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ditto!
In addition, a vendor that doesn't know what he/she is selling. Including, selling to a 16 year old.
Yes this is a good point. It's easy to label this as user neglect, when really, it should never have been sold in the first place.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see numerous problems with this:
1. 16 years old
2. "Never smoked tobacco" why the fuck are you vaping? (teen mentality, gotta look cool)
3/4. SMPL/Phantom mod (both hybrid caps); with an Aspire Atlantis tank (very short protruding pin)
5. Mech mod with Efest battery

Literally a disaster waiting to happen. It's the stores fault for even selling this to him, but his fault for getting into vaping for no reason, and not taking the time to learn what's necessary to operate it safely. Everyone is at fault here IMO. Makes us all look bad unfortunately.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Hybrid adapter, makes it even worse.

If Hybrid adapters were made illegal then about 85% of these newer (within the last year) mod explosions wouldn't have happened.
There are regulated mods that make more than enough safe power and mechs are mostly just collectors items now.
Good to have in case of a vapocolypse but not good enough to actually choose to use daily.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
New vapers want to blow clouds and spend no more than $25 on hardware. These mods fit the bill...

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
This story loads for me and the other wouldn't.
It also at least names the mod and the youtube vid shows the subohm tank on the mech.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...ce-on-fire-e-cigarette-blows-up-in-teens-face

Look at how the Dad was all there at the sons rescue.
Where the fuck was Dad when his SIXTEEN YEAR OLD KID was buying and using this mod?
I place part of the blame on dear old Dad because you can tell by the video that he knew his son who is a never smoker was vaping.
If he didn't know he sure as hell would have mentioned that fact in the clip.

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The mod was a Wotofo Phantom:

wotofoXE.jpg

Anyone want to take a wild guess as to what went wrong?

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That thing looks more like a pipe bomb, than a mech mod. No venting holes! It's asking for an explosion, if there's a short.

This is why these Phantom mods can be so damaging.The 2 tiny vent holes are on the top of the mod, so the RDA/Tank actually blocks them off. So if a battery vents, it builds pressure inside until the RDA just snaps from the 510 and acts like a damn shotgun slug to the face

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just like cellphones, there needs to be a basic iq test for purchase.
The greatest vape is soon to be the greatest failure. What do you wanna bet not a start up company but a non vaper trying to cash in on the stupids for as much as they can get.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Stupid assclowns at the shops and hybrid adapters.
stupid fucking wannabe buying stupid cheap shit from a stupid gaggle of motherfuckers out for the almighty dollar.
Fuck that kid, fuck that goofy looking dad, fuck the shop owner. They all need dumped into swimming pool and have some sort of high current electrical line dumped in the water.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
stupid fucking wannabe buying stupid cheap shit from a stupid gaggle of motherfuckers out for the almighty dollar.
Fuck that kid, fuck that goofy looking dad, fuck the shop owner. They all need dumped into swimming pool and have some sort of high current electrical line dumped in the water.
No shit!!!!! The only other thing is to just say fuck it and standardize a 510 connection. Because, stupid motherfuckers breed.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I hope they ban condom machines. The first link inside that story was about a guy that died because the condom machine exploded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This exact story made it into the "Toronto Sun" newspaper this weekend, couldn't stop shaking my head at how stupid this shit is, it's his own fault and I feel no sympathy for him, just making us all look bad

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is why these Phantom mods can be so damaging.The 2 tiny vent holes are on the top of the mod, so the RDA/Tank actually blocks them off. So if a battery vents, it builds pressure inside until the RDA just snaps from the 510 and acts like a damn shotgun slug to the face
those aren't vent hole, I don't think if it's an adapter then...usually there is a set screw in them in order to tighten the atty to the adapter to they don't spin..I have no idea how this vents,but I would bet it is desognd to vent through the button.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If Hybrid adapters were made illegal then about 85% of these newer (within the last year) mod explosions wouldn't have happened.
There are regulated mods that make more than enough safe power and mechs are mostly just collectors items now.
Good to have in case of a vapocolypse but not good enough to actually choose to use daily.
Hey WTF there's plenty of us who use and have always used mech mods....and have no interest in your robomods...hell there's some of us who still vape gennys on mechs...what's this collectors item bullshit...Hell, I'm about ready to drop the hammer on the Origenny....as if I didn't have enough gennys already....you can keep your Mc nugget tanks and robomods it isn't evolution it's fashion.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Hey WTF there's plenty of us who use and have always used mech mods....and have no interest in your robomods...hell there's some of us who still vape gennys on mechs...what's this collectors item bullshit...Hell, I'm about ready to drop the hammer on the Origenny....as if I didn't have enough gennys already....you can keep your Mc nugget tanks and robomods it isn't evolution it's fashion.

I keep them only to have them because I keep all of my favorite mods through my vaping journey.
I have my first vamo V2 and Protank
A nemesis with an UD IGO W
Theres a stingray with a stillare
Then I have a Hex Ohm V1 with a mutation X V1
I built that to 0.04 ohms just like the recomendation, turned it all the way up to 6 volts and from that day forward I never used a mechanical (except for mosfet protected boxes) mod again.
I had an AGA T2 but I pif'd it in the last pif box.
Those gennys were good but you have to constantly fiddle with them.
Which is fine if you like to spend as much time adjusting your coils as you do vaping them.

If you are at a genisis atomizer and a mechanical and it works for you that is wonderful.
Stay with that.

But for some 16 year old dumbass who is just trying to look cool in front of his friends?
He shouldn't have ANY mod.

But if he would have went with the sigelei or snow wolf instead he wouldn't look like someone took a shit on his face right now.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
those aren't vent hole, I don't think if it's an adapter then...usually there is a set screw in them in order to tighten the atty to the adapter to they don't spin..I have no idea how this vents,but I would bet it is desognd to vent through the button.

You are right, hybrid mechs always have venting through the bottom button.

This is useless if the center of the cell swells and the battery vents out the positive terminal.

This seems to be what is happening in most of these hybrid mech/subtank disasters.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

If you are ready to drop the hammer on a Tahiti Mod by GP Custom Serial #44 let me know because I have one here boxed up and ready to ship.

http://www.jgvapes.com/Tahiti-Mechanical-Mod-by-GP-Custom-p/tahiti.htm

GP03.jpg

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
From another article:

Alberta, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland and Labrador are the only provinces that have not banned the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors, according to the Non-Smokers Rights Association.

Reworded:
Of the 10 Canadian provinces, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland/Labrador are the three where minors can legally buy vape gear. Those three hold a total of 16.5% of the Canadian population.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
That's gorgeous!

For your viewing pleasure.
The Clay inlay and the box that the mod comes in was hand made by Philippine Tribesman

133815.jpg

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I keep them only to have them because I keep all of my favorite mods through my vaping journey.
I have my first vamo V2 and Protank
A nemesis with an UD IGO W
Theres a stingray with a stillare
Then I have a Hex Ohm V1 with a mutation X V1
I built that to 0.04 ohms just like the recomendation, turned it all the way up to 6 volts and from that day forward I never used a mechanical (except for mosfet protected boxes) mod again.
I had an AGA T2 but I pif'd it in the last pif box.
Those gennys were good but you have to constantly fiddle with them.
Which is fine if you like to spend as much time adjusting your coils as you do vaping them.

If you are at a genisis atomizer and a mechanical and it works for you that is wonderful.
Stay with that.

But for some 16 year old dumbass who is just trying to look cool in front of his friends?
He shouldn't have ANY mod.

But if he would have went with the sigelei or snow wolf instead he wouldn't look like someone took a shit on his face right now.
if you have to readjust your coils once you've built a set up on a genny...you are doing something wrong....you should adjust the coils once...to get it firing right, after that fill the tank with juice and you should never have to touch the coils again...if you do you're building it wrong.

VU Sponsors