nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hi all, obviously I'm here to introduce myself. I'm Jane, 62 y/o, smoked for 39 years from about 1969 until about 2008, then quit cigs cold turkey. One afternoon on my way home from work, I went digging in my purse for my cigarette case, got myself aggravated because I couldn't get my hands on it and could feel the panic welling up inside. Finally found it (driving this whole time), but by that time I was so pissed, when I opened the case, my temper got the better of me and I just flung the thing into the back seat and didn't smoke another cigarette for 3 years.

I was a beast for some of that time (my poor co-workers and husband, bless their hearts) but finally acclimated. But oh, how we forget! One afternoon on the way home, I had this persistent little voice telling me I just needed to smoke a cigarette, just one or two blah blah blah, and next thing you know, I'm smoking cigs again. It lasted one month, with me so dang irritated with myself the whole time, and ashamed of myself for wasting all that effort on quitting. So one day while I'm in the convenience store about to buy cigarettes, I see this Blu e-cig for sale, and I figured, well maybe? So I bought it instead.

Well talk about nasty, but like I said, I was feeling so bad about the cigs I figured I could put up with the Blu. Since then it's been a steady progression of better and better devices, through 510 batts with cartridges and atomizers, then eGo devices, first with cartomizers, then CE4-type clearomizers, then SmokTech and Kanger glass tanks. After that I went through an insane period of buying mech mods and it was a continual search to find a tank that wouldn't leak all over the place, and a mod where I could get everything to contact and fire properly, and a battery charger that wouldn't overcharge and make my batteries blow up (I had one that very nearly did after I overcharged it). Finally I bought a Sigelei Spark 90w box mod.

Jeez Louise, what had I been doing to myself? It was like a breath of fresh air. Put a tank with juice on there, put in a charged battery, and no fiddling around. Dang Protank still leaked until I found Kanger's airflow controller, but that fixed it pretty well. I've bought box mods now and then since, to replace ones I've given away to get other people started on vaping and away from cigs, but am now running a few different ones.

I still have the second Sigelei Spark 90w that I bought, with a Nautilus mini 1.8 ohm on it, a KangerTech Kbox Mini Platinum 60w with an Aspire Vivi Nova 2 ohm, an eLeaf Pico Resin 75w with a Kabuki clone with 1.6 ohm Steam Tribe coils from FastTech (best tank there is, imo), and a Sigelei 75w stainless box mod with a Zephyrus running 0.3 ohm prebuilt coils. I'm not taking that Zephyrus over about 30 watts, because I'm really a MTL vaper, and over 30 watts the vapor just gets too hot for me.

Have just this week discovered that this trend toward higher VG juice is causing me a problem, making me cough, and I really need a 50/50 or 70/30 pg/vg mix; any higher vg than that brings on the coughing. So I guess I will stick with my cheapo Hangsen liquid that I've been ordering from China, for as long as I can keep ordering it.

So that's me. It's been a journey, but not a terribly expensive one if you consider what I'd have spent on cigarettes since 2008. I'm a huge fan of vaping. Managed to get my sister, who's had COPD since she was about 50, completely switched over to vaping, and her breathing has improved so much it is unbelievable.

I can turn a little bit militant, though, when people call it "smoking," because to me, it ISN'T smoking. I am not spewing formaldehyde into the air, or carbon particles, or anything that stinks. I do not have a horrible stinking ashtray nearby. I am not setting the place on fire. The worst that might happen is that my office might smell like grape drink, for Pete's sake. If someone wants to complain about that, then how about I complain about the guy in the office who BATHES in his after-shave, and subjects everyone to that cloud of mess that trails behind him all day long, eh?

Anyhow, that's me, and if you've read this far, bless you, you are a patient soul indeed. :)

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks much, Lucy and Letitia! I was sure I'd been WAY too wordy. :)

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey nada -- another 39 yr smoker here, vaping for 4 yrs now, and smoke-free for 3 and a 1/2. Welcome! Be as wordy as you want, maybe they'll stop picking on me about it. :teehee:

Andria

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks, everybody. Andria, telling a short story just isn't in my nature. Apparently it isn't in yours either! LOL

It takes all kinds to make a world, no? :sneaka:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, everybody. Andria, telling a short story just isn't in my nature. Apparently it isn't in yours either! LOL

Nope! I also enjoy books by folks like Stephen King and Marion Zimmer Bradley -- I hate it when a book just gets good... and then it's over! :D

I'm another who also has a lot of problems with VG -- I get a lot of :eek: when I mention that I use 86% PG. ;) Sometimes 86.5%. :giggle:

Andria

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to VU. I smoked for 34 years, and smoked my last one almost 3 years ago. The cig-a-likes didn't cut it for me either. They barely helped for those moments I was driving, and just didn't want to make a mess with ash. The best part of quitting for me, was not stinking.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I'm happy to be here!

VU Sponsors