Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Alpha One Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the VooPoo Alpha one. Disclaimer: this mod was sent to me from VooPoo for the purpose of this review.

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. I spend more time with products then most reviewers and try to be thorough, do disassemblies to check for design flaws, do accuracy testing, and stress testing, something that is typically done in maintenance industries to try and “force” a failure or diagnose a potential failure point to give me an idea of a devices longevity. With that said, there is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small % failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Introduction:
The Alpha one is the follow up mod from voopoo after the popular drag mod. It’s a dual 18650 mod. It’s design is to be the anti-flashy kind where many companies are having flashing lights and tons of colors and such, VooPoo went with a minimalist design of a simple rectangular box that looks like an old sony walkman. A throwback to the early 90s. Like the drag it has 3 buttons on the front a fire button a plus button and a minus button. It has the small “DNA style” screen which is pretty bright. It features Power mode, TC for SS, Ni200, Ti, Ni80, and TCR as well as power curves and temp curves. All programmable on chip as well as via a software suite for PC. it’s available in black and SS.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Powered by Gene Chip
  • Dimensions: 89.55524mm
  • Zinc Alloy Construction
  • Anodized Aluminum Alloy Magnetic Battery Access Panel
  • Wattage Range: 5W - 222W
  • Temperature Range: 200°F - 600°F
  • Voltage Range: 0.0V - 7.5V
  • Resistance Range: 0.05Ω - 3.0Ω (VW) 0.05Ω - 1.5Ω (TC)
  • Maximum Current Output: 55A
  • Output Modes: VW, TC(Ni, Ti, SS), TCR
  • New LOVE Mode - High Output Curvature Control
  • 0.91 Inch OLED Display
  • Requires (2) 18650 Batteries (Batteries Sold Separately)
  • Triple Button Control
  • Micro USB Port (2.0A Charging & Firmware Updates)
  • Stainless Steel 510 Threads
  • Gold Plated 510 Pin
  • Spring Loaded 510 Pin
Included in box:
  • 1 x Alpha One Mod
  • 1 x Micro USB Cable
  • 1 x Warranty Card
Pictures and test results
Chart:
UoH6Qmz.png

Spreadsheet:
dQ6At3Q.png

Stock Shot:
alpha-one3.jpg

Size comparison 1:
ssVsJgZ.jpg

Size Comparison 2:
CGAxxhp.jpg

Desk Check:
VxFtwjX.jpg

Internals:
Xn00jsw.jpg

Internals 2:
47ubwe8.jpg

Internal 510 pin:
lDEKz0q.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I was intrigued by the design of it. It goes against the grain of current flashy trends. While personally I do like flashy mods, I know some like a more simple design and that’s what VooPoo went with. It reminds me of an old sony walkman. It’s a rectangle and it has some really sharp edges which i found to be a bit uncomfortable personally. The build quality on it is great. It feels like a solid mod with no button rattle. The buttons on it are very large which was a nice touch compared to the small plus and minus buttons we usually see. The 510 is on a slightly raised platform that can accommodate up to a 24mm atomizer flush. But 25 or more will overhang. I would have liked to see it a little bigger at 25mm which seems to be the current standard for a lot of new atomizers. The battery door is solid and slides off easy with no play and is held on by strong magnets with no rattle. The battery door is also coated on the inside for extra protection in case of a damaged battery wrap. The battery trey itself works great and it’s easy to get batteries in and out without damaging wraps. Unlike the drag the branding is very subtle with a small alpha one logo in the bottom right corner. Overall i was pretty impressed with the build quality and design outside of the sharp edges.

Watt Mode Performance (firmware V1.0.0.1)
Let’s get into some data. For this mod testing was quite interesting. It enters “love” mode at 100 watts. When in love mode the mod hunts voltage so there was no way for me to get an accurate assessment on it’s output over 99 watts. Due to this i was unable to test its max limits of amps, watts and volts. So instead I just tested it’s accuracy at various testing points from 99 watts or less. My testing points were 99, 75, 50, 25, and 10. My resistances tested were .11, .15, .2 and .49

To keep things simple it’s a pretty impressively accurate mod under 100 watts. In my testing at .11, .15, and .2 it was never off by more than 2 watts except for the .2 50 watt test where it was off by 3. I consider it extremely accurate in that range. To put it in perspective that’s 75 times fired for roughly 4 seconds each, never being off by more than 3 watts in a row. The output was smooth and consistent the whole time.

At .49 the testing started off good hitting 2 watts high at 99. At the 75 setting it hit high 6 watts. after that when dropping down to 50 or less i couldn’t get an accurate reading as the mod started performing like love mode and hunting voltage. Now this could have been a glitch and possibly resetting the mod could have changed it, but in my opinion when you set up a test you stick to the procedure no matter what and report the results. So I can’t speak for the accuracy under 50 at the .49 test. The watt curve mode works very nicely as well but again, i checked it with all the values being 99 or less stepping down from 99 to 20 in 20 watt increments.

Overall it’s an interesting mod for sure. Most of the time it’s really good and accurate, but do to the design of the chip and it’s “love” mode to push more watts it’s an enigma to test that doesn't produce a lot of info in testing. It’s hard to ding a mod based on it’s inherent design in the same sense, it’s hard to pass a mod that can’t yield accurate results so it’s a take what you will from it. I did vape it over 100 watts in love mode using the triple RTA at 120 watts and it did feel like it was pushing more than 100 FWIW but i’m not one to rely on feel because placebo effects and all i prefer hard data and facts.

Temperature Control
Using SS316 wire with the default SS mode (TCR set at 1315). I tested 6 builds ranging from single round spaced single and dual coils, to fancy single coil and Fancy dual coil builds . Much like the drag it has an 80 watt limit but with really low resistance coils (under .2) you rarely get over 50-60 watts. As long as that limit is good for your build the performance is really good. It’s smooth, consistent and accurate. I found myself vaping around 460F as i like a warm vape but not hot. Most people will find their ideal vape in the 400-500f which is the standard usually for temp control usage. I didn’t experience any dry hits, ramp up time was ok but could be a little better and it was never pulsey always a smooth consistent puff. Overall it’s a very good mod for temp control as long as you understand it’s watt limits. If you are a high watt vaper it’s not going to be a great choice but for lower watt to mid watt vapers, it does work very well.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Other Usage Notes
The mod internally is very nicely designed and clean. The 510 pin is great, properly grounded and secured to the body via 2 screws with a tight spring and plenty of throw. It’s overall a very well built and well designed mod of high quality. It can handle a max of 24mm atomizer without overhang. The battery trey is excellent and shouldn’t damage wraps and is easy to get batteries in and out. The simple design will be appealing to many in my opinion and it’s nice to see other options outside of flashy mods as everyone has different tastes. The screen is bright and easy to read. The watt curve mode is excellent just like the drag and a nice alternative to temp control. The software allows for some customization on the screen. My favorite feature is the ability to remove modes. I took off all modes on mine except for power (which includes curve mode) and SS TC mode. So it only switches back and forth between the 2 without having to cycle through modes i won’t use like Ni200 and Ti. I wish more mods did this.

Usage is pretty simple. 5 clicks for on or off. 3 clicks cycles through the modes. When in temp mode 4 clicks allows wattage adjust. When in power curve or temp curve mode 4 clicks allows adjustment of the curve. To get into the sub menu in each mode hold the plus and minus. In power mode you can switch to curves, switch to volt adjust instead of watts, and turn love mode on or off. In Temp mode you can switch to curves and adjust your TCR. Plus and fire locks the device, minus and fire flips the screen. There are also options to check FW version, serial number, and set resistance.

Pros:
  • Power and temp curve modes
  • Adjustment for volts or watts in power mode
  • Easy to use menu system
  • Power mode performance under 100 watts mostly
  • temp control performance with small to medium watt builds
  • Build Quality (no rattle)
  • Great 510 pin
  • nicely wired internals
  • additional PC software for customization
  • Battery Sled
  • Seek simple design
  • can remove modes you don’t use
  • Bright screen (and brightness is adjustable)
  • Big buttons
Cons:
  • Love mode is difficult to measure performance for 100+ watts
  • 80 watt limit in TC mode makes it not good for larger builds
  • sharp edges makes it not very comfortable to me
  • Odd “love mode” like performance at the end of my testing
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not. This one was really tough for me. It has a lot of positives going for it but in the same sense has quite a few quirks that could be deal breakers for some. I think people who vape under 100 and don’t mind the sharp edges will mostly enjoy it, still It’s not a mod i can see myself recommending out to people personally due to the quirks. I do feel they will last a while and the design and build quality is excellent so i’m going to set it at 50/50 dealers choice. I think that it’s best for people to read the entire review and decide for themselves if it will work for them. I won’t be adding it to my sheet though but it’s not something i’d tell people to avoid either so i’m calling it 50/50

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

For good recommendations feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c4MZ2xYBE-1-0A6rLYY46OHtzHCM-roJINpxghmhzXM/edit?usp=sharing this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it.

Again I want to thank VooPoo for sending me this for the purpose of this review.

I have no affiliation with this site but it's the cheapest one i found that i’ve used before and it’s in the US so you can find it for 59.90 currently at vapenw here https://vapenw.com/voopoo-alpha-one-222w-tc-mod

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Other Usage Notes
The mod internally is very nicely designed and clean. The 510 pin is great, properly grounded and secured to the body via 2 screws with a tight spring and plenty of throw. It’s overall a very well built and well designed mod of high quality. It can handle a max of 24mm atomizer without overhang. The battery trey is excellent and shouldn’t damage wraps and is easy to get batteries in and out. The simple design will be appealing to many in my opinion and it’s nice to see other options outside of flashy mods as everyone has different tastes. The screen is bright and easy to read. The watt curve mode is excellent just like the drag and a nice alternative to temp control. The software allows for some customization on the screen. My favorite feature is the ability to remove modes. I took off all modes on mine except for power (which includes curve mode) and SS TC mode. So it only switches back and forth between the 2 without having to cycle through modes i won’t use like Ni200 and Ti. I wish more mods did this.

Usage is pretty simple. 5 clicks for on or off. 3 clicks cycles through the modes. When in temp mode 4 clicks allows wattage adjust. When in power curve or temp curve mode 4 clicks allows adjustment of the curve. To get into the sub menu in each mode hold the plus and minus. In power mode you can switch to curves, switch to volt adjust instead of watts, and turn love mode on or off. In Temp mode you can switch to curves and adjust your TCR. Plus and fire locks the device, minus and fire flips the screen. There are also options to check FW version, serial number, and set resistance.

Pros:
  • Power and temp curve modes
  • Adjustment for volts or watts in power mode
  • Easy to use menu system
  • Power mode performance under 100 watts mostly
  • temp control performance with small to medium watt builds
  • Build Quality (no rattle)
  • Great 510 pin
  • nicely wired internals
  • additional PC software for customization
  • Battery Sled
  • Seek simple design
  • can remove modes you don’t use
  • Bright screen (and brightness is adjustable)
  • Big buttons
Cons:
  • Love mode is difficult to measure performance for 100+ watts
  • 80 watt limit in TC mode makes it not good for larger builds
  • sharp edges makes it not very comfortable to me
  • Odd “love mode” like performance at the end of my testing
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not. This one was really tough for me. It has a lot of positives going for it but in the same sense has quite a few quirks that could be deal breakers for some. I think people who vape under 100 and don’t mind the sharp edges will mostly enjoy it, still It’s not a mod i can see myself recommending out to people personally due to the quirks. I do feel they will last a while and the design and build quality is excellent so i’m going to set it at 50/50 dealers choice. I think that it’s best for people to read the entire review and decide for themselves if it will work for them. I won’t be adding it to my sheet though but it’s not something i’d tell people to avoid either so i’m calling it 50/50

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

For good recommendations feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c4MZ2xYBE-1-0A6rLYY46OHtzHCM-roJINpxghmhzXM/edit?usp=sharing this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it.

Again I want to thank VooPoo for sending me this for the purpose of this review.

I have no affiliation with this site but it's the cheapest one i found that i’ve used before and it’s in the US so you can find it for 59.90 currently at vapenw here https://vapenw.com/voopoo-alpha-one-222w-tc-mod
Nice review, definitely not for everyone. Growing up in the 80's I liked the retro Sony Walkman look. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nice review, question for you if you don't mind. I have mine running the original firmware. So love mode doesn't kick in until 160 F. Well that is what they say, I cant vape that high so I cant check it out. Any way when I installed the firmware upgrade at the time of receiving it I quickly realized it installed a auto shut off. It drove me nuts so I went back to original firmware. Has that been corrected? If so I might update my firmware. Thanks

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Nice review, question for you if you don't mind. I have mine running the original firmware. So love mode doesn't kick in until 160 F. Well that is what they say, I cant vape that high so I cant check it out. Any way when I installed the firmware upgrade at the time of receiving it I quickly realized it installed a auto shut off. It drove me nuts so I went back to original firmware. Has that been corrected? If so I might update my firmware. Thanks
yes there is an auto off feature i forgot to mention. every 5-10 mins or so of idle time it'll turn itself off. also soft cell cut off was 3.3 forgot to mention that as well LMAO

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I hoped they would of done something and took that auto shut off out of there. Looks like I will be staying with the original firmware. Thanks

VU Sponsors