Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Asmodus Minikin Reborn Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Asmodus Minikin Reborn mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links

Introduction:
The Asmodus Minikin Reborn is a mod that came out about 8 months ago. I got mine about 5 months ago but took me a while to get to it. It didn’t get much fanfare or reviews though for some reason. It’s a small dual 18650 mod rated at 168 watts. I see it available in 6 colors royal blue, Silver, Black, Tiffany Blue, Orange/Black, and Green Black.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • GX-168-HT Chipset
  • Dual 18650 High Amp Batteries - Not Included
  • Wattage Output Range: 5-168W
  • Max Voltage Output: 7.5V
  • Temperature Range: 212-572F
  • Atomizer Min Resistance: 0.1ohm
  • Versatile Temperature Control Module
  • Supports Ni200 Nickel, Titanium, and SS 304/316/317 Heating Elements
  • Temperature Coefficient of Resistance (TCR) Functionality
  • Temperature Factor of Resistivity (TFR) Functionality
  • Two Power Modes: POWER & CURVE
  • Enlarge OLED Display - Responsive Touch Screen
  • Three-Button Operations
  • Oversized Firing Mechanism
  • Low Voltage Protection
  • Short Circuit Protection
  • Low Resistance Protection
  • Low Battery Warning
  • Micro USB Port
  • 510 Connection
Included in box:
  • 1 x Asmodus Minikin Reborn MOD
  • 1 x USB Cable
  • 1 x User Manual
Picture Album (includes spreadsheet and chart)
https://imgur.com/a/FMr6fae

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this mod, i was pretty impressed with the size. It’s a really short mod and not very wide. Very compact for a dual 18650 mod. The paint job also stood out. Asmodus does make some beautiful mods and the orange on mine has a nice clear coat to it and the battery door has a nice rubberized fell. It just feels and looks like a quality mod. It has the same touch screen and 1 button operation as the minikin 2 which is bright and easy to use and a good size. Overall I was pretty impressed form the start

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. Testing resistances were done at .11 , .15, .20, and .5 ohms. wattage points were max (168), 150, 100, 75, 50, and 25. At .11 ohms it maxed out at 169 watts and 39 amps. For the rest of the testing it was high 1-4 watts. At .15 it maxed out at 177 watts. The rest of the tests it high 2-13 watts. For the .20 test it maxed out at 180 watts. For the rest of the testing it was high 2-17 watts. For the .5 testing it maxed out at 93 watts and 6.837 volts. The rest of the testing it was 4-13 watts high. The volts shows there is no boost circuit.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was decent. Much like the minkin 2 i tested, this mod tends to hit high most of the time so you’ll want to turn the watts down lower than normal. It’s a bit underrated at 168 watts since i got 177 and 180 at the .15 and .2 tests. I was able to get max watts at .11 which is impressive and the 39 amp limit i got, could be higher since i was restricted by the watt limit. So the amp limit should really never come into play for most. The lower the setting though the more accurate it is. The 6.837 volt limit shows no boost circuit which makes sense since they list it at 7.5 max. They don’t list an amp limit i seen. The watts is underrated. It also features a power curve mode that works great as well as preheat options for soft, normal and hard.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is decent. Mostly hits hard so turn watts down a little. Underrated for max watts (180) no boost circuit, amp limit 39+ since my .11 test maxed watts at 169 with 39 amps.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire with the SS mode, and in TCR mode with 00092, I tested 5 builds a single round spaced, a dual round spaced, a fancy single coil build and 2 fancy dual coil builds. With that said i’ll keep it short and sweet, I didn’t get any protection really at all. Even with the mod turned all the way down to 300F i was getting a vape like I should around 450F but still with dry hits. Very little throttle back and hits way to hard at low temp settings so this is a fail for me.

Other Usage Notes
The mod has the C-frame shape to it like a therion. It’s solid metal but pretty lightweight. The paint job is excellent and looks like a clear coat, while the battery door has a rubberized feel to it. I love the contrast of those 2. There are no designs on some color options. But the orange black i have has a speckled or splatter orange dots on the door. Overall though It’s a simple looking mod which some may love and others not so much. It can handle 25mm atomizers without overhang. There is no button rattle on this mod at all. The screen is large and bright. The fire button is large and round and a little concave. The adjustment buttons are done via a touchscreen with no physical buttons. The battery tray is really nice and easy to get batteries in and out without damaging wrapps. Much better than the therion IMO but same style. Mod adjusts by full watt at 100+ and .1 increments below 100 watts

Usage is simple. 5 clicks on and off. Swipe down to unlock the touch screen, touch what you want to adjust and then follow the menu. If you can use a cell phone, you can use this mod. Very intuitive and the touch controls work great. Same as the minikin 2

Pros:
  • Power performance
  • accurately rated
  • Build Quality
  • Simple looks
  • color options
  • handles 25mm atomizers
  • Small Size
  • Battery Tray is nice
  • no button rattle, solid built
  • touch screen controls work great
  • large bright screen
  • Power curve mode
  • beautiful paint job
Cons:
  • Does hit a little hard
  • temp control performance is poor
  • a little pricey like most asmodus mods (69.95 on elementvape)
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do the hard yes or no, this one is going to lean pretty heavy towards the yes as a power mod, but obviously a no for a temp control mod. Asmodus mods cost a little more, they just do as asmodus protects their price structure but they also have a good history of making good mods that don’t die and just work so hard to complain about it. If you are looking for a small mod to use power mode on that looks great, it’s worth a look for sure. I’ll be adding it to my sheet as a power mode only mod.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

You can buy it for 69.95 here https://www.elementvape.com/asmodus-minikin-reborn-168w-tc-box-mod

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from element vape

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. There is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small percent failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I decided to add this disclaimer in as i feel it’s important for people to know their source of the review. I’ve been vaping since late 2011. I’ve vaped all the styles from MTL to RLH to DTL. tanks, RTAs, RDAs, you name it. I do prefer the DTL and RLH style over MTL personally. My main focus from an atomizer is flavor. For mods i’ve used mechs and regulated mods. I’m an avid temp control vaper but enjoy power mode as well and the occasion mech useage for nostalgia. I’ve been doing reviews since late 2016. As of Jan 2018 I’ve done over 100 written reviews and done over 150 video reviews on my channel, Although i’ve taken a break from videos in the past few months to focus on written reviews.

I spend a lot of time helping vapers on forums as well and try to answer all the questions and comments on my reviews. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested. At times if needed i’ll disassemble them as well. Rebuildables get multiple builds in them. Tanks i use all coils until the die or a minimum of 2 weeks if they don’t die sooner. I do this for the community to help people find good products and avoid bad ones. In my opinion a reviewer works for the community and nobody else. It’s our job to inform vapers of issues and not be advertisers as well as provide constructive criticism from a place of knowledge back to companies with these reviews so they can improve and make better products in the future.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors