Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Aspire Puxos Kit Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Aspire Puxos Kit. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links

Introduction:
The Aspire Puxos Kit is a kit that contains one of their latest mods the Puxos, paired with their latest tank in the long running line of cleito tanks called the Cleito Pro. Aspire is a company that doesn’t really need any introduction as they’ve been around in vaping seemingly forever but i’m glad I don’t have to say the name as i have no idea how to pronounce it (puh-soak-es or poo-soak-s). The Puxos is a single 2x700 (takes a 21700, 20700, or 18650 with included adapter) mod rated at 100 watts using a 2x700 battery or 80 watts using a 18650 battery and is styled like a smaller pulse 80w mod with no squonk system. It’s just a small plastic body with interchangeable panels on both sides. In general Aspire has made some of the best mods for the price point lately so we’ll see if the puxos can stack up. Looking around i see the mod itself online for around 45ish USD and the kit version for around 65-70 USD so pretty standard price point. It’s available in technically 14 colors, Black, Silver, White, Blue, Gold, Red, Pink and 7 fancy designed ones. All colors have a black body so it’s just the panels that are the colors and they can be purchased separate for around 5 USD as well. Some colors come with a SS cleito pro while others come with a black cleito pro tank.

Manufacturer's Specs: Mod
  • Dimension - 87mm by 48mm by 30mm
  • Single High-Amp 18650/20700/21700 Battery
  • 18650 Battery Platform- Battery Sleeve Included
  • Aspire Proprietary Chipset
  • Maximum Wattage - 18650: 80W
  • Maximum Wattage - 2X700: 100W
  • Resistance Range: 0.1-3.5ohms
  • Versatile Temperature Control Suite
  • Ni200, Titanium, and Stainless Steel Compatible
  • Temperature Coefficient of Resistance (TCR) Mode
  • 3 Memory Setting for TCR Mode
  • Intuitive 0.96" OLED Screen
  • Superior Stainless Steel Frame
  • Beautiful Dyed Resin Reinforcement
  • 14 Different Magnetic Side Panel Styles and Finishes
  • Automatic Cutoff
  • Over Discharge Protection
  • Short Circuit Protection
  • Battery Reverse Protection
  • Overheat Protection
  • Overcharge Protection
  • Three Button Operation
  • Magnetized Battery Door
  • Micro USB Port
  • Spring-Loaded 510 Connection
  • Available in Green Camo, Dreams, Swirl, Etched, Circles, Music
Manufacturer's Specs: Tank
  • 24mm Diameter
  • 3mL Standard Juice Capacity
  • 4.2mL Bubble Glass Tank Capacity
  • Superior Stainless Steel Construction
  • Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
  • Full Length Coil Design - Drip Tip to Coil Design
  • Cleito Pro Coil System
  • 0.5ohm Cleito Pro Coil - rated for 60-80W
  • Compatible with Original Cleito Coils and Cleito EXO Coils
  • Triple Adjustable Airflow at Base
  • Convenient Retractable Sliding Top-Fill Method
  • Delrin Wide Bore Drip Tip
  • 24K Gold-Plated 510 Connection
Included in box:
  • 1 Puxos 100W Box Mod
  • 1 Cleito Pro Tank
  • 1 Aspire 21700 4000mAh Battery
  • 2 0.5ohm Cleito Pro Coils
  • 1 Spare Glass Tube
  • 1 Micro USB Cable
  • 1 18650 Battery Adapter
  • 1 Spare Parts Bag
  • 1 Warning Card
  • 1 User Manual
  • 1 Warranty Card
Coil Options (all coils are kanthal unless otherwise stated)
  • .5 ohm cleito pro coils (60-80 watts) (2 included in kit)
  • .15 ohm Cleito Pro Mesh Coils (60-75 watts) (not included)
  • Cross compatible with original cleito and cleito exo coils
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I was surprised at how light it was. The mod is completely plastic including the panels so it doesn’t weight much at all. Some people may prefer that but personally i like a little weight to mine to feel solid and more durable. Just a personal gripe though as i have no issue with the build quality. The screen is a typical aspire screen as is the menu system so nothing new there for me as i’ve reviewed many aspire mods. It’s black and white though and i was hoping for a little color like the NX100 screen. I do like the design on the panels as well and had a tough time picking one to keep as they sent me some extras. They also sent some extra panels for me black and gold but i like the design of the one i picked. The tank that comes with it the Cleito pro is an odd duck in terms of being different then most. I’ve been a fan of past cleito tanks like the exo, 120, and original but now they aren’t up to par with newer tanks on the market. Still I like that it’s cross compatible with all cleito coils which is great. And in typical trendy fashion the new cleito pro coils have a mesh coil option but sadly none included for me to try. Overall i really liked this kit even if it felt a little too light for my tastes.

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Samsung 30T 21700 batteries for the testing. Testing resistances were done at .12, .15, .2, and .62 ohms. wattage points were max (100), 80, 60, 40 and 20. At .12 ohms it maxed out at 100 watts and 29 amps. For the rest of the testing it was a little on the low side 1-2 watts except at 80 where it was 2 watts low. Pretty accurate at such a low resistance where many mods struggle At .15 it maxed out at 107 watts. The rest were pretty good hitting slightly high across the board 1-5 watts. For the .2 test it maxed out at 107 watts. Again pretty good but a little on the high side 2-4 watts except at 80 where it was 9 high. For the .62 testing it maxed out at 111 watts and 8.31 volts. For the rest of the testing 2-6 watts high at 60 or less but 10 high at 80. The volts shows there is a boost circuit in this mod like most single battery mods have.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was really good. It didn’t really struggle with the .12 ohm build which was surprising I was able to get the full 100 watts at that resistance. It mostly hits slightly high at 60 or less, and a little bit more high at 80 or more. I was able to get 111 watts max, so I consider it to be accurately rated at 100 watts, even a little underrated. I was able to get the full 100 or more all the way from .12 ohms to .62 ohms at minimum so no worry about resistance playing a factor in max output for most. The 8.31 volt limit shows there is a boost circuit. Their manual lists the max Volts at 8.4V so accurate rating as even my 8.31 was capped off by the watt limit. They do not list an amp limit on this mod. The most i got was 29 with a .12 ohm coil but was capped off by the watt limit. Still 29 is very good for a single battery where the range for most is 25-30 so on the higher side for that and shouldn’t be any issue for anyone. The mod never got warm when stressing it likely helped out a lot by not having any metal to take on heat from the atomizer. It stays cool to the touch all the time which is really nice. I didn’t test voltage mode but it exists and should be pretty accurate as well. I did some small simple tests for CPS (power curve mode) and it works great.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is really good. Mostly hits just a few watts off on the high side. Accurately rated for watts (111), Yes boost circuit, above average amp limit of 29+. Volts tested at 8.31 so meets the 8.4V listed. Also impressive you can get 100 or more watts from a .12 to a .63 ohm coil.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire in SS mode only. They do have a TCR mode but it works off percentage and i can't find any literature that converts it to standard settings. That’s a little disappointing and i wish they would adopt a more standard TCR mode. You also can not adjust the TCR value in the preset modes (SS, Ni, Ti) but you can adjust the power to the full 100 watts. You don’t need to lock any resistance as when you put it on it asks if coil is new and pressing “+” for yes locks it in. I tested 7 builds 1 simple round single coil, 1 simple round dual coil, 1 Fancy single coil, 3 fancy dual coils, and the mesh pro tank SS316 mesh coil. Temp settings vary quite a bit for build. More-so than most mods. Running big fancy duals gave a warm vape around 350F which feels about 100F too high. Meanwhile running simple builds or even the mesh pro coils had a warm vape around the 410-440F meaning sightly high to reasonably accurate. I’d recommend starting off at 350F and raising it little by little until you find what works best for you. Most people will find a warm vape in the 350-440F range. Once dialed in however it works great. Throttle is nice and smooth, good dry hit protection, ramp up changes based on your watt settings. Really provides a good consistent vape when dialed in. Overall i consider it a good mod for temp control, not great though because could be a bit more accurate but still really good when you get it dialed in no need to fidget or anything.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 5 click to lock and unlock the mod. To turn it off hold the fire button when it is locked. 3 clicks turns the screen off (stealth mode). There isn’t a true menu system but it’s pretty simple and easy to navigate the mod. Holding Minus and fire locks the adjustment buttons but still allows the mod to fire. Plus and fire highlights the mode where you can select watts, voltage, TC, TCR, bypass or CPS (watt curve mode). Press fire to accept your mode goes into the sub mode if applicable. For watts there is preheat settings (normal, soft, hard) for TC there is SS, Ni and Ti, for TCR or CPS there are 3 memory slots. Voltage and Bypass have no sub mode. When in TC, TCR, or CPS click plus and minus to adjust settings. Holding plus and minus will allow you to flip the screen and adjust brightness. When you put in a new battery it’ll ask if it’s an 18650 or 21700 so select the appropriate size you put in and use 21700 setting if it's a 20700 battery. All it does is limit the watts which is a nice idea. 80 watts for 18650 and 100 watts for 21700 or 20700 which is pretty much fine as long as you use a good battery. Sony VTC5A for single would be ideal for 18650 and for the 21700/20700 the ijoy 5 leg or samsung 30T are pretty nice to use for 2x700. The mod comes with an aspire 21700 battery which is pretty nice and mooch rated it at 3800mah and 25a CDR so it’s a decent enough battery. Not 30T level but better then the avatar controls ones that come with joyetech family mods so shotout to mooch for his hard work and effort in providing that info.

The Aspire Puxos adjusts by .1 watt increments. I wish they did full watts and it also scrolls kind of slow. It does round robin wattage however. The mod itself is built solid with no rattle at all, but as i said earlier is really light. The Battery door is a standard magnetic backplate and It’s easy to get batteries in and out without damaging wraps and takes 1 2x700 or 18650 battery. There is no ribbon in the battery sled but instead you take the panels off both sides and the backside has a hole to push the battery out of. All the batteries i used fit really nicely in the mod including the avatar controls ones which seem to be slightly larger than most 21700 batteries. I also used the vapecell gold 20700, ijoy 5 leg 20700, samsung 30T 21700, aspire 21700 and VTC5a and samsung 25r with the adapter. No issues with any of them and no damaged wraps. The battery doors are made of plastic as well so a little extra protection if you had a damaged wrap on your battery but please don’t use batteries with damaged wraps.

There really isn’t much paint on this mod at all. The body is just basic black plastic. The only paint comes from the panels and their designs. I do love some of the designs for sure but they are interchangeable and cheap to buy other colors so feel free to color it up as you please. The fire button is nice and clicky and a good size. It’s a simple black square. The 510 pin gave me no issues and every atomizer i used on it worked great with no gaps. The mod handles 25mm atomizer flush. Anything bigger will overhang. There is a 510 platform on the mod itself so it’s not just straight on the top but it is flat and the panels have cutouts to accommodate this. The screen is a decent sized black and white screen that is nice and bright and easy to see. Nothing fancy and very basic but gets the job done. Also for branding on the mod itself there is literally none at all. The only branding is inside behind the side panel with a simple aspire logo. Nothing on the outside.They list 2 amp charging as well but i don’t recommend charging internally in your mods. I don’t do any fancy testing on it but I did charge it a few times in the mod with no issues and it shows you a battery % when charging which i like but made me wish the battery meter on the mod would have shown a percent instead of just a small bar. The battery bar is also pretty pessimistic and looks lower than it really is.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Cleito Pro Tank
The kit comes with The new Cleito Pro tank. It uses the same coils as the original Cleito and the Cleito Exo which means there is a TC compatible option (.4 ohm SS316 cleito coils) and they should be easy to find and the new coils for the pro (which yes you can use in those tanks as well) is a .15 ohm mesh coil (kanthal) rated for 60-75 watts (but sadly none are included in this kit as i would have liked to try one) and a .5 ohm regular coil rated for 60-80 watts (2 included in this kit). From my estimation it’s a triple parallel coil (each coil with their own leads, no lead sharing like many coils do) around 6mm ID 5 wraps 26g kanthal. You can see the pic in the album of the coil itself. Cleito tanks to me have always released towards the top of their class in performance. The OG cleito was great for it’s time as was the cleito 120 and the cleito exo. This one however feels a bit behind the curve. The performance on the .5 coil is good, but not excellent. It’s a good tank for being in a kit but not nearly as good as one’s you can buy separate. So performance wise pretty average tank that’s ok for being in a kit but nothing i’d run out to buy seperately. I ran 110ml through the one coil i used and it was pretty much burnt out at that point the last 10-20mls or so weren’t very good. You can see a pic of the coil in the album so i’ll call it at around 100ml of good vaping on the coil. I used all 70/30 and 80/20 juices (mixture of low sweeteners ones and coil killers ones) in it and had no issues chain vaping either. So good coil life overall. 100ml is what i consider about the average and anything over that is a bonus to me.

The tank itself is pretty interesting as typical with aspire tanks they don’t follow the same old sub ohm tank design. The capacity is a little low at 3ml standard but it also comes with a bubble glass for around a 5ml capacity which is good. The top fill is pretty cool and different. It’s more of a side fill like OBS RTAs but you just pull off the top ring to expose the hole then put it back on when done. It works well so no complaints there. You can also unscrew the drip tip and fill directly into the class around the coil if you wanted to just pour juice in from a glass bottle. It’s interesting to take apart. The Drip tip is screwed onto the coil so sadly it’s proprietary and i wish they would use a standard drip tip instead but all their tanks pretty much use proprietary drip tips which is always a con for me. The drip tip is what locks the tank together but that part isn’t even needed. There really isn’t any threading on the tank except for the coil screwing into the base and the drip tip screwing onto the coil. The tank is all held together via orings and can be put together without a coil in it but due to the design needs to be empty to replace a coil. It does come with all the needed accessories (spare glass, 2 coils, spare o-rings etc)

Pros:
  • Build Quality of mod
  • build quality of tank
  • tons of color options
  • replaceable Panels available for sale seperate and inexpensive
  • Power mode performance
  • pre-heat options
  • Accurately rated for watts
  • good amp limit
  • boost circuit
  • easy to use
  • batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • accurately rated for volts
  • watt curve mode
  • VV mode
  • tank is good enough for an included in tank kit
  • large juice capacity in tank (5ml with bubble glass)
  • nice fill method in tank
  • nice fire button
  • temp control performance is good for the price point
  • Battery compatibility (21700, 20700, 18650)
Cons:
  • Tank performance is just good not great with the .5 ohm coils
  • Screen could have been better (at least in color)
  • Dedicated menu system would have been nice
  • Proprietary TCR system
  • can’t adjust TCR in preset modes (SS, Ni, Ti)
  • proprietary drip tip on tank
  • mod feels cheap due to low weight. It’s all plastic.
  • Tank is a little too much watts wise for an 18650 battery
  • no mesh coil included to see if it’s as good as other mesh coils on the market
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no but this one will lean pretty heavily towards the yes mostly for the mod itself. There aren’t a ton of good single 21700 mods on the market these days but everyone wants to find a good one and despite it’s feeling cheap it performs excellent overall is small and doesn't weight much and customizable enough to suit anyone’s stye. It’s hard to complain about that and they include a pretty decent tank with it as well but personally I’d opt for the mod only and pair it with a nunchaku tank for lower watts and better battery life (around 45-50 watts) or a Fireluke Mesh tank for a little more watts and performance (around 65 watts) but if you found the kit version for only 10 bucks more than the mod or so, and wanted to save the money it’s a good enough tank but not something i’d buy seperate. I’ll be adding the mod to my list as a good power mode and good TC mod but won’t add the tank.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Aspire

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 200 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors