Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Dotmod Dotsquonk 100w Mod Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Dotmod Dotsquonk 100 Mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is not marked as a sample.

Introduction:
The Dotmod Dotsquonk 100 mod is the latest mod from long time vape manufacturer Dotmod. I haven’t done many reviews of their products personally, last one I can think of is the dot RDA which was almost 2 years ago, but they are mostly known for their somewhat high price points and love of the color gold in their products and are considered to be “high end” by some. The Dotsquonk is a single 2x700 (can take 21700, 20700, and 18650 batteries) battery squonk mod rated at 100 watts. It’s available in 4 colors Black, Red, Gold, and Royal Blue. Elementvape has them listed at 114.95 but is currently sold out.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Single High-Amp 18650 / 20700 / 21700 Battery - Not Included
  • 8mL Squonk Bottle
  • Maximum Wattage Output: 100W
  • Minimum Atomizer Resistance: 0.06ohm
  • Supports Ni200, Titanium, and 316L Stainless Steel
  • Proprietary dotChip Technology
  • Multiple Temperature Control Output
  • Power Mode - Variable Wattage
  • Power Locking Capabilities
  • Hard-Anodized Custom Aluminum Shell
  • Intuitive Side OLED Display Screen
  • 24K Gold-Plated Firing Button
  • Magnetized Door Panel Covers
  • 510 Connection
Included in box:
  • (1) dotSquonk 100w
  • (2) Removable doors
  • (1) Charging cable
  • (1) 18650 Battery sleeve
  • (2) Juice Bottles
  • (1) Certificate of authenticity
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this mod, I wanted to review it for a couple of reasons. The 1st reason was i’ve tested mods from a majority of companies out there, but never from dotmod who uses a proprietary chip so I wanted to see how they stacked up. The second reason was due to the lack of good TC squonk mods. Sadly they don’t really exist. There have been a couple of DNA ones and that’s about it and those are scarce and hard to find. When i got it, ti was a typical dotmod product. I think their stuff looks great and they try to add a “premium” touch with the 24k gold plated fire button but they don’t seem to warrant their price tag overall. Still it was a nice sized and good looking and solid feeling mod.

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Samsung 30T batteries for the testing. This was done on the latest firmware which is V3.3 released 01-24-19. Serial numbers 7936 or lower can be updated. Above that they already come with the update. I have serial number 3647. Testing resistances were done at .09, .16, .2, and .61 ohms. wattage points were max (100), 80, 60, 40, and 20. At .09 ohms it maxed out at 90 watts and 32 amps. For the rest of the testing it struggled a little bit as it was 2-9 watts low. Still not bad for such a low resistance. At .16 it maxed out at 95 watts. The rest of the testing here was good, but a little low running 3-6 watts low mostly. For the .2 test it maxed out at 98 watts. For the rest of the tests though 3-4 watts low at 60 or more, but below 60 on point. For the .61 testing it maxed out at 108 watts and 8.1 volts. For the rest of the testing it was a little high 1-6 watts. The volts shows there is a boost circuit in this mod like all single battery mods should have

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was solid. It does hit a little low with lower resistances but not by a lot. I was able to get 108 watts max, so it is rated well at 100 watts. The 8.1+ volt limit shows there is a boost circuit as there should be. Their manual doesn't sadly list a volt limit though however, Volts shouldn’t be any issue for anyone here. They don’t list an amp limit either and I wish they would list all 3 personally. On this mod and the most amps i got was 32 with a .09 ohm coil which is above average for a single battery mod (most are 25-30). So overall good performer and good enough ratings. They also include a watt curve mode that works well and allows 20 set points at .5 seconds each for a total of 10 seconds.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is good overall. Good rated for watts (108), Yes boost circuit, high amp limit of 32. Hits a little weak at low resistance, and has a good watt curve mode.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire and SS mode, note there are no TCR adjustments nor a TCR mode. I tested 4 builds. 2 fancy single coil, 1 round wire single coil, and 1 round wire dual coil. So with that said it’s hard to “dial in” a set temp as it is a bit inconsistent and will hot hotter and cooler at times despite nothing changing but around 400ish seemed to be the best setting for most of the time for a warm vape and around what 450ish should feel like so hits about 50 degrees or so hotter. That’s the only issue I have with the mod is the incisitency. Outside of that the throttle is smooth, it has good dry hit protection, it has good ramp up as you have access to the full 100 watts of the mod (and you can adjust that for a slower or faster ramp up). Now mind you due to the inconsistency it’s not something I'd recommend personally for TC or buy for TC, however on a curve compared with the other single battery non DNA squonkers it is one of the top options along with the cut (which I personally don't recommend either) but with TC and squonking we are sadly in a “beggars can’t be choosers” situation due to lack of options. Also due to the price tag it’s not going to be an affordable option either like a pulse 90w or aurora or cut or whatnot. So take what you will from that.

Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 5 click to turn on and off. The menu system is pretty basic and easy to use. 3 clicks of fire takes you to the menu where you can select your mode (Power, Bypass, Curve, TC for Ni, Ti, and SS) as well as a settings option which lets you change the background color of the screen (8 color options). That’s about all there is to the mod so pretty simple and easy to use. Down and fire allows you to adjust wattage in TC mode. No other shortcuts. There is no need for a button lock either as the up and down buttons are covered by the side panel so can’t be pressed when pocketing.

The Dotmod Dotsquonk adjusts by 1 watt increments only and goes form 5-100 and also round robins. Holding it makes it adjust pretty fast as well, so well done there. The mod itself is built solid with no button rattle. The paint on the mod is pretty nice. I got the gold one and it is a matte finish and showing no signs of wearing or peeling. The battery door is a standard magnetic side plate and it fits great with no issue or play and has a nice size cutout to squeeze the bottle with no sharp edges.. It’s single 2x700 mod and includes an 18650 adapter so nice to have the battery options and batteries are easy to get in and out.

The fire button is decent size simple round 24k gold plated button with a fancy design on it. It works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be, no complaints there. The 510 pin is great and gave me no issues with any atomizer. The mod handles a 25mm atomizer flush and the 510 is front facing. The screen is a nice size rectangle color screen and has good brightness. I really like the screen on this, one of the nicer ones for a single battery squonk mod i’ve seen. Also for branding the mod itself there is just the dot mod logo on one side panel in a matching gold that doesn't stick out too much on mine. Nicely branded overall. They do not list a charging rate and I don't recommend charging internally in your mods if it can be avoided but I did test it and got .6A max so slightly above half amp charging. I wish they would have had 1A personally, but again just use it in a pinch and not as an everyday thing.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Squonk System
The Dotmod Dotsquonk 100W comes with an 8 ml capacity bottle which is a nice size. Larger than most. It also comes with a spare color matching one on mine (1 clear and 1 gold) that has a cap so you can use it as a spare juice bottle and just swap them out which is great, and the bottles themselves are a square silicon bottle with a nice firmness. The squonking is pretty standard as far as how well it works and I have no complaints on that. Pretty simple system. There is 1 proprietary part though, the bottle has the male connection with a metal tip that goes into the female connection on the mod so you can just plop any bottle in there, but I'm sure if you really wanted to, you could make another one work but really no need. Still i like standard systems for uniformity so i’ll ding them a little there but not a big deal. Overall it works well, has nice bottles, large capacity, has an extra with a cap, so pretty much everything I want out of a squonk system

Pros:
  • Power performance is good
  • batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • color options (4)
  • good 510 pin
  • handles 25mm attys flush
  • power adjustments are fast and easy
  • accurate rating for watts
  • Volt limit is more than good enough
  • high amp limit
  • nice color screen
  • nice easy menu system
  • Watt curve mode
  • squonk system works great
  • battery door fits nice
  • includes spare bottle with cap
  • nice bottles
Cons:
  • TC performance isn’t bad, but should be better
  • Proprietary bottle connection
  • a bit overpriced for what you get (like most of dotmods stuff)
  • charge rate is a little low
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no but this one has to lean a little towards the yes. Yes it is a little spendy for what you get performance wise, but that’s typical of their products and they do have some features to justify a little extra money. The 24k gold plated fire button, an anodized aluminum body compared to most other squonkers which are 3d printed or some sort of plastic or zinc alloy. If you like dotmod products, it’s a good performer in power mode with a nice screen and gets the job done. I wouldn’t recommend for TC mode and it’s not going to give you a performance advantage over a cheaper delta, pulse 90w, topside, etc but still a nice mod that’s worth a look if you don’t mind the price point. I added this to my sheet of recommendations You can see linked down below. Feel free to check that out if you are in the market for anything new.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and I'll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Element Vape

Product Link
Linky Linky

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done over 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors