Anthony Vapes: Eleaf Ikonn 220 kit review and tech test

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with a text review and video link here
for my honest review of the Eleaf Ikonn 220 Kit. Disclaimer: this product was sent to me for the purpose of this review from healthcabin.net

Introduction:
The Eleaf Ikonn, is a 220 watt mod dual 18650 mod with included ello tank. Where the Pico 25 kit comes with the hw1 and hw2 coils the ikonn comes with the higher watt hw3 and hw4 coils. The mod clearly looks designed to be similar to the smok alien in looks and size even including the fire bar. It comes in 6 color options, all black, silver black, green black, blue black, red black and gold red.

Manufacturer's Specs: Mod
Dual High-Amp 18650 Batteries - Sold Separately

• Wattage Output Range: 1-220W

• Maximum Voltage Output: 50A

• Minimum Atomizer Resistance: 0.05ohm

• Temperature Control Range: 200-600F

• Ni200, Titanium, and 316 Stainless Steel Compatibility

• TCR Adjustment - 3 Memory Modes

• Ergonomic Soft Contour

• Optional Power Bank Capability - Requires Reverse Charging (RC) Adapter

• Preheat Functionality

• Intuitive OLED Display

• Switchable Interface

• Compact Design with Soft Contour

• Hidden Firing Bar Mechanism

• Hinged Flip Battery Cover

• Cell Balancing Trickle Charge System

• Innovative Buck-Boost Technology

• Dual Circuit Protection

• Reverse Polarity Protection

• Stainless Steel 510 Connection
Included in box:
1 iKonn 220W Box Mod

1 ELLO Sub-Ohm Tank

1 0.2ohm HW3 Triple-Cylinder Coil

1 0.3ohm HW4 Quad-Cylinder Coil

1 QC USB Cable

Spare Parts

Instructional Manual

Pictures and test results
Test Chart:
iw6ogp.png

Spreadsheet:
2ywbdd0.png

Stock Shot Colors:
iKonn-220-with-Ello-Tank-12.jpg

Tank Shot:
2irpu89.png

Mod screen:
x3tzlz.png

Top of mod
wbezc1.png

Mod battery tray:
2efnupc.png

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Kit, I could tell it was designed with the alien in mind. It has a very similar look from the design, the fire bar, and even the carbon fiber sticker on the back. One thing that stood out to me was how dim the screen is. It’s very hard to see even in a dim lit room and outside it’s near impossible. Almost looks like the screen is off. It’s very dim. Outside of that the mod is small and compact and feels great in the hand. The fire bar is nice and works great. It can handle up to a 28mm with no overhang. The battery door is nice and works good as well. A slight gap with batteries installed but barely noticeable. The + and - buttons have a little bit of rattle to them.

Watt Mode Performance
Let’s get into some data. Resistances for this mod’s testing were done at .10, .14, .19 and .53 for the high resistance test. The mod read resistance somewhat accurate, but usually .01 to .03 low. The higher the resistance the less accurate it becomes but it’s not unacceptable by any means. It also reads live resistance. The wattage testing points were max watts (220), 200, 175, 150, 125, 100, 75, 50, and 25.

At .10 ohms the mod maxed out at 214 watts and 46 amps. Very impressed with the Amp limit as it almost hit the 50 advertised. The 46 amps is well above average. During the tests over 100 it hit low 5-7 watts, 100 or less it was pretty much dead accurate save for hitting 1 watt low at the 50 test.

At the .14 test it maxed out at 214 watts. Outside of the max over 100 it was 2 to 8 watts low. Under 100 it was never off by more than 4 and always on the low side.

For the .19 test it maxed out at 196 watts. The rest of the testing it was never off by more than 2 watts sometimes low, sometimes high.

For the high resistance test of .53 the mod itself won’t let you set it higher then 120.8 due to the 8 volt limit on the chip (buck only) I set it at 120 even which should have put out around 7.97 volts. it maxed out at 97 watts and 7.153 volts. Once i was under the volt limit it hit high from 1-5 watts.

My max wattage overall was 214 so it pretty much meets the 220 watts promised. The max amps (46) i got from my testing was on the high side for dual battery mods and pretty dam close to the 50 promised. Getting 214 watts out of a .1 resistance means that the amp limit should never really play a part in lowering the max wattage with low builds. The 7.153 volts is pretty average for a dual battery mod and nothing impressive. The mod does get hot when vaping 150+ especially when chain vaping. Not what i would consider dangerously hot, but more than noticeable. I don’t typically recommend vaping over 150 on a dual battery mod anyway. If you keep it under 100 watts and don’t chain vape like crazy it will be fine. The output is smooth and consistent. Overall it performs excellent in power mode.

Temperature Control
Using SS316 wire in SS mode. I tested 7 builds ranging from single round spaced single and dual coils, to fancy single coils and Fancy dual coils. The mod does hit a little on the high side at times and others feels pretty accurate. Depends on the builds. The more fancy coils seemed to be more accurate while the basic ones hit a little high. Some builds i found 400 to be the best, others were great at 450. So i’ll set the range of 400-450. It did a decent job at not burning cotton but not perfect. It does adjust by 10 degrees so you can't really fine tune it, but overall it worked well. It wasn’t pulsey and didn’t throttle back to hard. Gave a good vape for the price range of the device and more than usable. Once you have it dialed in it requires very little adjustment. Sometimes just 10 degrees either way. Overall I wouldn’t say I was impressed with the performance but i was happy with it.

Other Usage Notes
The 510 pin on the mod is pretty good. It’s properly grounded and performance was good. Nothing to show anything alarming. It gave me no issues with any atomizer, never kicked me from temp control and was consistent. Internally it is a really tight squeeze in there and lots of wires are bent around creating “S” shaped wiring. Not something i can vouch for the longevity of. I feel the wiring on the inside should have been done better. Still I can't personally foresee any major issues coming out of it, but it was worth mentioning. My biggest gripe with the mod is the screen. It’s very dim. Really hard to see in any lighting that isn’t extremely dim. The battery door has a slight gap, not a big deal but again worth a mention. The + and - buttons also have a little rattle to them. The firing bar is solid though. The menu system could use some work too IMO. changing modes is easy enough but to get to the pre-heat and TC settings you need to turn the mod off and enter the sub menu that way. I feel this could have been more intuitive.

Ello Tank
I’m not going to go over the tank itself since i already reviewed it here
so you can check that out if you want to know more about it. In that review though It came with the HW1 and HW2 coils which are the lower watt ones and they were good. For this kit it comes with the high watt HW3 and HW4 coils so I will go over them. I got a combined roughly 5-6 days from both coils. I never got any decent flavor from them either. So either the high watt coils suck or I got 2 bad one’s which is possible as well. All i can do is review what I have so i’d suggest not buying a bunch of these coils if you got the tank and sticking with the HW1 and HW2 coils instead or using one of the many other cross compatible options.

Pros:
  • Watt Mode Performance (accurately rated)
  • Fire Bar
  • Temp mode performance
  • Good quality 510 pin
  • Looks and style
  • color options
  • Matching Tank
  • 28mm with no overhang
Cons:
  • HW3 and HW4 coils were no good
  • Build quality internally (the wiring)
  • Mod runs hot 150+ or chain vaping
  • Screen is super dim
  • Some small button rattle
  • accessing some menu features can be difficult
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit or not? I don’t like to do hard yes or no. But i’m going to lean this one a little bit towards the yes. While I do have some gripes keeping me from leaning heavily such as the dim screen and the fact it runs hot at high wattages, overall for most people who vape 100 or less it should be a non issue. The power mode works well and temp control works pretty good for the price range. If you can look past the gripes I have or if they aren't a big deal for you, it’s a good performer at a very good price. I’ll add it as a mid range temp device as well as a power device to my sheet. This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and ill catch you on my next review.

For good recommendations feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c4MZ2xYBE-1-0A6rLYY46OHtzHCM-roJINpxghmhzXM/edit?usp=sharing this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it.

Again I want to thank healthcabin.net for sending me this for the purpose of this review. They have it for 40.50 in the kit version http://www.healthcabin.net/eleaf-ikonn-220-kit-with-ello-tank-atomizer-p/14580.html or 32.99 for the mod only http://www.healthcabin.net/eleaf-ikonn-220-box-mod-p/14596.html both with free shipping. I want to thank you guys for reading (or watching or both).

VU Sponsors