Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Eleaf iStick Mix Mod Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Eleaf iStick Mix Mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is not marked as a sample.

Introduction:
The Eleaf iStick Mix mod is the latest mod from long time vape manufacturer Eleaf. For anyone who isn’t aware, they are a sub brand of Joyetech (along with wismec as well) so have been around many years most famous for their line of pico mods. I’ve reviewed a ton of their stuff over the past 2 years and they are pretty hit and miss but usually do a good job with the smaller beginner mods like the pico, but outside of that need to put some work in on their mods and tanks/coils to improve. The Mix is a dual 18650 battery mod rated at 160 watts. It’s available in 5 colors Heelwitch, Seabed Snaker, Skyline Numen, Glary Knight, and Wind Ninja. Looking around online I see the mod for around 40-50 USD out of china and pre-order only.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Colors: Hell Witch, Seabed Snaker, Skyline Numen, Glary Knight, Wind Ninja
  • Size: 83 x 52 x 27mm
  • Powered By Dual 18650 High-Rate Batteries(Sold Separately)
  • 160W Max Output Wattage
  • Resistance Range: 0.1-3.0ohm(VW/Bypass) / 0.05-1.0ohm(TC)
  • Working Modes: VW, Bypass, TC-NI, TC-TI, TC-SS, TC-M1, TC-M2, TC-M3
  • Distinctive In Molding Label Technology
  • Built-in Stable Avatar Chipset
  • Exclusive Resin Panels
  • 0.96Inch OLED Display
  • Over-Charge Protection
  • Over-Discharge Protection
  • Over-Current Protection
  • Over 10S Protection
  • Short Circuit Protection
  • Reverse Polarity Protection
  • 2.5A Quick Balanced Charge System
  • Type C Port For Fast Charging & Firmware Upgrading
Included in box:
  • 1 x iStick Mix TC Box Mod
  • 1 x QC 3.0 USB Cable
  • 1 x User Manual
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this mod it felt a bit like deju vu. Looking at the design it’s extremely similar to the drag 2 or famovape magma mods complete with the resin panel. Like the dragy and unlike the magma though it has a panel on only 1 side and the other side is an IML panel that has a same color scheme but different. That felt odd to me, other then that it reminded me a bit of the yostar livpor mod form 3 years ago so kind of a love chile between the yostar livpor and the famovape magma. Seemed like just another decent dual 18650 mod.

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Sony VTC5A batteries for the testing. Testing resistances were done at .13, .13, .21, and .68 ohms. wattage points were max (160), 100, 75, 50 and 25. At .13 ohms it maxed out at 129 watts and 32 amps. For the rest of the testing it struggled quite a bit which isn’t uncommon but not the norm either. At 100+ it was 18 watts low and under 100 3-13 watts low, so not great but usable under 100 watts for sure. At .16 it maxed out at 140 watts. The rest of the testing here again a bit of a struggle, at over 100 watts it was 10 watts low under 100 3-9 watts low. For the .21 test it maxed out at 154 watts. For the rest of the tests only slightly low by 3 watts except at 25 where it was on point. For the .61 testing it maxed out at 77 watts and 7.258 volts. Also worth noting due to the pre-programmed 8V limit in the mod it would only allow me to set it as high as 94.1 watts but it didn’t reach that volt limit either. For the rest of the testing it was a little 1-2 watts except at 25 where it was on point. The volts shows there is no boost circuit in this mod like most dual battery mods which isn’t a big deal as it’s not needed, but nice when they have one.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was decent at best. It performs its best above .2 ohms and hits weak across the board although once you get to .2 ohms or more it’s very slight and good enough. The 7.258 volt limit shows there is no boost circuit but not needed here. Their manual doesn’t list a voltage limit but the chip is programmed to stop at 8V which is plausible and close enough, they don’t list an amp limit and I wish they would list all 3 personally. On this mod and the most amps i got was 32 with a .13 ohm coil which is pretty low for a dual 18650 mod. Average these days is around 40ish give or take a couple. It’s been a long time since i tested one that was under 35 amps. The most volts i got is 7.258 which is again pretty average for a non boost dual battery mod. Personally If i was listing the specs I’d call the mod 160 watts, 7.5V and 32A. So overall just ok performer and close enough ratings.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is just decent overall. Close enough rated for watts (154), No boost circuit but not required, really low amp limit of 32. Hits a little weak mostly especially at lower resistances and 100 or more watts

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire and SS mode, i’ll keep this pretty short and sweet. I think at this point we all know the answer and that they are going to ignore this anyway so it’s whatever but not good for TC. If you wanted the details i used 5 builds 2 simple round single coil and 2 fancy single coil and 1 fancy dual coil. Mod runs a little hot needing about 370-410F for a warm vape so about 40-80F hot. That’s not the big deal, the big deal is that it’s badly inconsistent and i have to keep fiddling with the temp to get the same vape i had. Dry burn protection is iffy at best and the throttle back is very pulsey and pulls back way to hard. Just not a good vape at all. Eleaf (and their associated brands) are hopping on the “naming your chip bandwagon” with these avatar controls chips and they just really aren’t good chips and not sure if it’s a company they own (as they also include avatar controls batteries as well in some kits) or just one they purchase from, but it’s time to look for a new chip manufacturer if they want to continue to compete.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 5 click to turn on and off. The menu system is pretty much the same as all their past mods really and needs a huge update. They did make 1 minor improvement though where 3 clicks does bring you to an actual menu to select your mode, which gives you Ni, Ti, SS, M1, M2, M3, and VW. So your pretty basic modes on most mods. Holding fire and up takes you to another menu where you can turn on stealth mode, set a preheat (power and duration), program the TCR values, turn the logo on and off, check your firmware version, and check the live voltage of your batteries individually. The battery voltage thing is cool and helpful but a better menu would be welcome. The 2nd menu is a bunch of small hard to understand logos so it takes a learning curve to navigate what they mean. They really need an overhaul of the menu. Holding down and up locks the adjustment buttons but you can still fire. With the mod off holding down and up flips the screen. TCR mode memories can only be set when in TCR mode using the 2nd menu. So they changed up some of the shortcuts of their past mods but didn’t make it better so even adds a learning curve to people familiar with their mods.

The Eleaf iStick Mix adjusts by .1 watt increments under 20 watts and full watt increments 20 or more. Holding it makes it adjust very fast as well, so well done there. There is no round robin though. The mod itself is built solid with no rattle at all, but very lightweight as well. The Battery door is a standard magnetic side plate with resin design. It works really well and fits nice with no play. The paint on the mod is nice as well no signs of wearing. I got the wood ninja one which is a black body with black and white panels. All the colors have a black body except the skyline numen which has a silver body. The resin looks really good as well but not a fan that the IML panel on the opposite side is a different design. They should have used the same panels on both sides and preferably the resin

The fire button is standard size simple round button. It works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be, no complaints there. The 510 pin is great and gave me no issues with any atomizer. The mod handles a 27mm atomizer flush and the 510 is centered so great job there, It’s only limited by the thickness of the mod. The screen is the old outdated “dna” style screen and the same one we’ve seen on a lot of the joyetech family mods sadly. They really need to get nicer screens. It is however pretty bright compared to some others. Also for branding the mod itself there is small corners on the panels with 1 side having and eleaf logo and the other saying “iStick mix”. Nicely branded overall. They proudly list a charging rate of 2.5A and the mix has a USB-C port as well, but i don’t recommend charging internally in your mods like these however for the sake of info I did test the charge rate and the max i got was 2.34a so yeah it does charge fast and over 2a charging so fair rating on their part, but still use it only in a pinch and stick to external charging.

Pros:
  • batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • nice resin panel
  • color options (5)
  • good and centered 510 pin
  • handles 27 mm attys flush
  • power adjustments are fast and easy
  • accurate rating for watts
  • USB-C plus fast charging (2.34a)
Cons:
  • TC performance is bad
  • small outdated black and white screen
  • menu system needs an overhaul for easier use
  • Power Mode should be better
  • low amp limit (32)
  • looks odd with 2 different panel designs (should have went resin on both sides)
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no and this one i’m going to have to lean towards the no. The dual 18650 market is flooded with so many good options these days and is really competitive and this one really doesn’t stack up. It’s more expensive than much better versions and really comes down to being a worse performing version of the drag 2 which is a worse performing version of the magma. The Mix to me is like a decent mod if this was 2016 but with a super fast charging feature we shouldn’t use anyway. They should have aimed for a better chip as far as power mode and temp mode instead of focusing on the 1 feature that most vapers don’t recommend using. I won’t be adding this to my sheet of recommendations linked down below, but feel free to check out that link if you are in the market for anything.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Eleaf

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done over 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors