Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: GTRS Vboy 222W Mod Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of GTRS Vboy 222w Dual 2x700 Mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links

Introduction:
The GTRS Vboy 222 is the latest mod from somewhat new manufacturer GTRS and is a Dual 2X700 mod (takes 21700 and 20700 batteries) that comes with adapters for 18650 batteries. It uses the popular yihi chip (SX520 chip). Following up on the original Vboy 200 which used the SX500 chip. It’s available in 6 colors, silver, black, red, blue, gold, and rose gold for the frame. All of the battery doors and front are black

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Dimensions - 93mm by 49mm by 31mm
  • Dual High-Amp 18650/20700/21700 Battery - Not Included
  • Optional Dual High-Amp 20700 Battery
  • Advanced YiHi SX520 Processor
  • Wattage Output Range: 5-222W
  • Joule Output Range: 10-120J
  • Voltage Output Range: 1-9.5V
  • Temperature Control Range: 212-572F
  • Minimum Atomizer Resistance: 0.05ohm
  • Output Efficiency: 94%
  • Comprehensive Temperature Control Suite
  • TCR Adjustments
  • Power & Joule Memories: 5 Memory Modes
  • High-Quality Zinc Alloy Construction
  • Anti-Slip Silicone Grip
  • Centralized Control Face Design
  • 1.3 Inch Full-Color TFT IPS Display
  • 240x240 Display Resolutions
  • Oversized Firing Button
  • Reverse Polarity Protection
  • Output Short Protection
  • Low Resistance Protection
  • Low Battery Voltage Warning
  • Overheat Protection
  • Firmware Upgradeable
  • MicroUSB Port
  • Stainless Steel 510 Connection
  • Available in Silver, Black, Rose Gold, Gold, Blue, Red
Included in box:
  • 1 GTRS VBOY 222W SX520 Box Mod
  • 2 18650 Battery Adapters
  • 1 MicroUSB Cable
  • Instructional Manual
Picture Album (includes spreadsheet and chart)
https://imgur.com/a/q0MKt

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this mod, i was pretty happy it was a dual 2x700 mod. The batteries have been out for a while but sadly most of the first mods that took them were junk and even the good one’s lacked a good temp control. So pairing the dual 2x700 configuration with a yihi chip was a solid idea. I wasn’t sure what to expect from GTRS, I’ve heard issues with the vboy 200 (mainly the battery door) but the GTRS 150 was solid even with a non yihi chip in it. I was excited to see the measurements of 31mm wide and a centered 510, sadly though there is minor overhang with a 30mm atomizer as the front and back stick out a little more. A 28mm atomizer will sit flush though. It’s got a simple shape and design that’s a rounded rectangle, nothing too fancy and the nice bright large color screen like the SX mini g class. Overall I was pretty happy with the mod form the start

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing, but since it’s a dual 2x700 mod I used the ijoy 5 leg 20700 Batteries instead of my normal sony VTC5A i use for 18650 mods. Testing resistances were done at .1072 , .1486, .2094, and .4816 ohms (yihi chips read resistance to 4 decimal places). wattage points were max (222), 200, 150, 100, 75, 50, and 25. At .1072 ohms it maxed out at 218 watts and 45 amps. For the rest of the testing it was never off by more than 1. At .1486 it maxed out at 225 watts. The rest of the tests it was never off by more than 3. For the .2094 test it maxed out at 210 watts. For the rest of the testing it was 7-10 high for 100+ but 3-5 high for less than 100. For the .4816 testing it maxed out at 116 watts and 7.469 volts. The rest of the testing it was also high 5-11 watts. The volts shows there is no boost circuit in this mod which i’ll discuss more in a bit.

Overall I was pretty happy with the performance of this mod. At under .2 ohms it was very accurate. Over .2 ohms it does hit a little high 5-10 watts so adjust accordingly. The most amps i got was 45 which is really good for a dual battery mod. The average is 40 overall but for dual 2x700 mods most are around 45ish but i’ve only had the pleasure of testing a handful of them (ijoy diamond, Vboy 222, RX2 27100, and geekvape blade) So it was right on par with that. GTRS does not list an amp limit but Yihi does for the chip and they list it at 40 which is conservative, but i’ll never complain about underrating a mod. Its accurately rated for power since it does do 225 watts. Now it’s time for the Lack of boost circuit. GTRS lists the max volts at 9.5 which means it has a boost circuit. I’ve tested the SX mini G class about a year ago (SX550J chip) and it also had a boost circuit. So i expected this mod to have one, I was pretty surprised when my testing revealed, there was no boost circuit. So after that I went to Yihi’s website to pull up the specs on the the chip in the Vboy 222 (SX520) and they list the max volts at 8.0 for that chip which means no boost circuit but also feels overstated since input voltage is 8.4 max and they list efficiency at 94% which means max theoretical voltage would be 7.896 however since batteries sag under load, we know it isn’t possible.

Simplified TL:DR Performance summary
Mod performance is Good. Accurately rated for watts, underrated for amps, Overrated for Volts. Accuracy is excellent at under .2 ohms, over .2 ohms it hits a little high. High amp limit of 45, max watts 225, Max volts 7.469 so there is no boost circuit.

Temperature Control Performance (Temp mode is called Joule mode on Yihi Mods)
Using SS316 wire with the SS wire type and TCR set to 92, I tested 7 builds a single round spaced, a dual round spaced, and 2 fancy single coils and 3 fancy dual coil builds. Please note for Yihi chips like this you need to lock your starting resistance by holding in the menu button. There is power adjustment on this mod in temp control mode up to 120 joules (which for our purposes is the same as a watt but technically not the same as a watt). I found adjusting the watts does have a direct effect on ramp up as it should so well done there. The whole 222 would have been nice, but I feel 120 is more than enough for most and is the normal limit on all Yihi chips and I haven’t heard anyone complain about it. Temp control performance was excellent as you would expect from a yihi chip. The ramp up is good and adjustable, the throttle back is smooth. It feels accurate, i get a nice warm vape at around 450-460F as it should be. Most people will find their best vape in the 400f-480f range as it should be depending on how you like your vape (cool or hot), and the dry hit protection is great as well. Overall an excellent performer in temp control.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Other Usage Notes
The mod has a simple rounded rectangle shape to it. It’s solid metal so it’s got some weight to it. The battery door has some textured plastic on the back for grip though. It’s also not overly large considering it can take 21700 batteries. It’s not much bigger than a lot of dual battery mods. It can handle 28mm atomizers without overhang. It can't handle a 30mm but it doesn't look too bad with one (pics in the album). There is no button rattle on this mod at all, it’s really solid feeling. It features a nice large color screen on the front like the SX mini G Class and comes with 10 wallpapers preloaded and you can load your own custom one’s via the computer software). The fire button is a rounded rectangle shaped button on the side and is made for a right handed thumb fire which i love (very few mods are made like that sadly). It’s also quite stiff and takes some effort to press.

There are 2 small white LEDs to the side of the buttons to look like “eyes”. The 510 appears to be pretty good. I didn’t take it apart but i used 9 atomizers on it and none gave me any issues and I did pull at it quite a bit as well. Far from scientific but still. The battery trey is nice and easy to get batteries in and out without any damage to wraps, however using 20700 batteries you can feel them slightly moving around inside the mod if you shake it. That issue does not exist with 21700 batteries or 18650 batteries using the adapter. Not a big deal, but worth the mention. This chip also does not have bluetooth like the SX550J chip does. The frame does take heat from the atomizer so can get a little warm if chain vaping a high watt atomizer. Also adjust full watts at 100+ and .1 below 100 watts.

Usage is quite a pain in the butt. Yihi chips have never been very easy to use (same can be said for DNA chips) so there is a learning curve there but without the joystick of the g class, I found it to be even more difficult. I’m also not going to get too into detail as it would be like writing a book, but the simple thing is 5 clicks of fire to enter the menu. Up and down to scroll. Menu button to select (you turn it off in the menu) 3 clicks to lock mod (displays digital clock when it’s locked) Hold menu to lock resistance for temp mode. Press menu to cycle through the settings on screen (temp, power , etc) and when it’s highlighted use up and down to adjust, then click fire to accept.

Pros:
  • Power performance
  • Temp Performance
  • accurately rated (for watts and amps)
  • Build Quality
  • Nice Simple Looks
  • color options
  • handles 28mm atomizers
  • Takes 21700, 20700, and 18650 batteries.
  • price point (64.95 at element vape)
  • fills a much needed niche of a good dual 2x700 mod
  • nice large bright color screen
  • no button rattle, solid built
  • customizable wallpapers
  • included 18650 adapter trey
  • centered 510 pin
  • trey doesn't damage wraps and easy to get batteries in and out
Cons:
  • Overstated Volt spec (no boost circuit, blame GTRS not Yihi)
  • 20700 batteries rattle a little in the trey (21700 and 18650 fit great)
  • learning curve
  • does not handle 30mm atomizers without overhang
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t do the hard yes or no thing, but this one is going lean really heavy towards the yes. Lots of vapers are looking for a good mod that takes 21700 batteries and this is the only one i’ve found so far with good temp control (i’ve reviewed about 5 or so 2x700 mods) It’s a Dual 2x700 mod with a yihi chip for under 65 bucks, that’s kind of a no brainer. It’s also a good performer as well in power mode. I’m a little miffed at the voltage thing, but that’s on GTRS not Yihi as Yihi has the correct specs listed for their chip so not sure what happened there. Still it meets it’s watt specs and exceeds it’s amp spec. I’ll be adding this to my list as a power and temp control mod.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

It can be purchased here in the US for 64.95 https://www.elementvape.com/gtrs-vboy-222w-tc-box-mod

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from elementvape

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. There is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small percent failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I decided to add this disclaimer in as i feel it’s important for people to know their source of the review. I’ve been vaping since late 2011. I’ve vaped all the styles from MTL to RLH to DTL. tanks, RTAs, RDAs, you name it. I do prefer the DTL and RLH style over MTL personally. My main focus from an atomizer is flavor. For mods i’ve used mechs and regulated mods. I’m an avid temp control vaper but enjoy power mode as well and the occasion mech useage for nostalgia. I’ve been doing reviews since late 2016. As of Jan 2018 I’ve done over 100 written reviews and done over 150 video reviews on my channel, Although i’ve taken a break from videos in the past few months to focus on written reviews.

I spend a lot of time helping vapers on forums as well and try to answer all the questions and comments on my reviews. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested. At times if needed i’ll disassemble them as well. Rebuildables get multiple builds in them. Tanks i use all coils until the die or a minimum of 2 weeks if they don’t die sooner. I do this for the community to help people find good products and avoid bad ones. In my opinion a reviewer works for the community and nobody else. It’s our job to inform vapers of issues and not be advertisers as well as provide constructive criticism from a place of knowledge back to companies with these reviews so they can improve and make better products in the future.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love it....
351e7b473728189a2265042d2c32582d.jpg
C360_2018-10-25-15-24-05-486.jpegC360_2018-10-25-18-07-33-907.jpegIMG_20181029_080929.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors