Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Hellvape Drop Dead RDA Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Hellvape Drop Dead RDA, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is not marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The Drop Dead RDA is one of the latest RDAs from somewhat popular vape manufacturer Hellvape. The only newer one is the rebirth which i’ll be reviewing later this month. Hellvape has actually been around for quite a while and has made over a dozen RDAs but didn’t get much attention until their popular dead rabbit RDA and since then have gained a lot of popularity, but i remember reviewing a much older atomizer form the the Iron maiden RDTA which was and still is one of my favorite RDTAs. Outside of that though I only reviewed their dead rabbit RDA until now. The Drop Dead RDA is a Dual coil DTL RDA with an included squonk pin and designed in collaboration with popular youtube reviewer heathen (dead rabbit RDA) and with TVC (drop RDA) both very popular and is made to be a combination of the 2 hence the name “Drop Dead” It’s available in 10 colors SS, Matte black with silver logo, Matte Black, Piano Black, Gunmetal, Blue, Rainbow, Purple, Gold, and Bloody Mess. Elementvape has them for 27.95 in the US.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • A Vapin' Heathen Project
  • A TVCreation - The Vapor Chronicles
  • 24m Diameter
  • Deep Juice Well
  • Superior Stainless Steel Construction
  • Four Post Build Deck Design
  • Side-Secured via Slotted Flathead Screws
  • Gold-Plated Positive Posts
  • PEEK Insulated Block
  • Single or Dual Coil Configurations
  • Dual Side Airflow Control - Multi-Slots Design
  • 810 Resin Wide Bore Drip Tip
  • 810 Acrylic Wide Bore Drip Tip
  • 510 Drip Tip Adapter
  • Squonk-Ready Bottom-Feeding 510 Pin
  • Gold-Plated 510 Contact Pin
Included in box:
  • 1 DROP DEAD RDA
  • 1 810 Resin Wide Bore Drip Tip
  • 1 810 Clear Wide Bore Drip Tip
  • 1 510 Drip Tip Adapter
  • 1 Squonk BF 510 Pin
  • 1 Phillips Screwdriver
  • 1 Flathead Screwdriver
  • 1 Allen Key
  • 1 Spare Parts Bag
  • 1 Instructional Manual
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions
When I first got this RDA well it was a bit behind everyone else so i’m a bit LTTP. I’ve seen a lot of stuff on this already and expected pretty it to be a cross between the drop and the dead rabbit. It really isn’t though it’s much more dead rabbit then it is drop RDA. it’s basically a dead rabbit RDA but with a honeycomb like airflow on the outside compared to a long oval shape and the drop deck. Almost like putting a dead rabbit top cap on the drop RDA deck. I really wasn’t sure why it had to exist as there was nothing wrong with the dead rabbit deck and there was nothing really improved on the airflow from the dead rabbit. Nonetheless i slapped in a build and started the review process

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s the same deck as the drop RDA which was designed by TVC with the drop and they just carried it over to the drop dead which they also helped design. It is essentially a postless deck functionality wise, where the leads can come out of the bottom of the posts and can be cut so you don’t need to pre-cut them perfect which makes it a little easier. There are also 4 post holes so each lead gets their own post which makes it very easy to build. You basically just “drop” in your coil hence the name and tighten the post screw and you can install 1 coil at a time. The leeway from the posts allow you to adjust after cutting the height so i recommend doing a 7mm length of your leads and then adjusting as you like. The post screws are good quality flat head grub screws. Overall it’s a nice deck that’s easy to build on same as the drop.

Wicking on it is quite easy. It’s an RDA so nothing fancy just drop your wick leads to the bottom.

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a Dual Coil RDA only as intended. I ran 4 builds in this 1 fancy 3mm ID build, 1 fancy 3.5 mm ID build, 1 fancy 4mm ID build and 1 simple round 4mm ID build. For size I found it best to use 4mm ID max and as many wraps as you can fit in. Performance wise though even in a best case scenario it’s pretty mediocre compared to other dual coil RDAs and even below the drop which is really good but still bested by many these days. It’s a DTL vape but even in the best case scenario is pretty lackluster. And i tried high , medium, and low coils and none of them can make the flavor pop at all . Overall not a good performer flavor wise.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Airflow, Misc. Details, and Extras
Let’s talk about the airflow now. It’s high side (pretty much top) airflow with 2 rows of 7 holes for 14 total lined up on each side. You can adjust it but it’s stupidly and frustratingly hard to adjust the airflow. The area to grip to adjust it is very thin on top and the o-rings are very tight. They did add some nice knurling to the top part ot give you more grip but it’s still not as easy as it should be, even after removing and lubing the AFC adjust it’s still near impossible to adjust. When you adjust it it closes off both rows so 2 holes at a time. Fully open it’s a bit restrictive of a DTL vape for a dual coil RDA. I didn’t get any whistle but it’s smooth and only slightly noisey. Due to the AFC issues I didn’t check it at other air settings. The top cap locks into place to make it easy to screw on and off your mod which is nice. The top cap is mostly ok but can get a little hot while chain vaping high watts. Not great at dissipating heat but not bad at it either. Just ok.

It comes with 2 standard drip tips, one is a Resin friction fit 810 tip with a metal ring on the bottom (color vaires based on color of RDA. my rainbow one came with a green one that’s nice) and one is a clear likely PMMA or PC friction fit 810 tip, and they include a metal 510 adapter as well. No 510 tip though but not a big deal. 2 Tips and an adapter is good in my book. The Drip tips all fit very well in the RDA. snug, not loose, not tight. You can use your own as well and most should work just fine. I tried a couple other 810 tips with no issues personally. The quality on the Hellvape Drop Dead RDA is mostly good. The o-rings for the top cap onto the base feel right and the top cap is snug but not tight. Very easy to take apart with no issues. My only quality complaint is the airflow adjustment is harder than most RDAs. The post screws are excellent quality as well and 4 spare screws are included (spares are phillips grub screws which i don’t like). It comes with a standard 510 pin and a BF 510 pin like most RDAs these days as well.

The juice well is quite large as well. Due to the airflow being kind of high up on the side and the improvement to the wall height of the base, there is plenty of room for juice on the bottom. The over squonk protection and Over drip protection is pretty good. I used it as both a dripper and a squonker and it worked well both ways. As a dripper you can drip right down the drip tip without taking off the top cap. As a squonker the pin is slightly raised off the deck so it wont’ suck back all the juice when squonking and will leave a little in the bottom

It’s a 24mm diameter so should not overhang on most mods on the market today. There is plenty of spare o-rings and 4 spare post screws for it (spares are phillips grub screws), 1 allen wrench, 2 screwdrivers, and a 510 tip adapter but no coils or cotton. good amount of accessories overall no complaints there. A couple of coils and cotton would have been nice though. Branding is well IMO quite cringy. On the one i have which is the rainbow there is a huge logo which is the dead rabbit logo with to backwards “D” behind it for “drop dead”. Not a fan of that at all. Would have looked much better without it IMO. At least on mine it’s a matching color so doesn't stand out too much, but on some it’s a different color making it worse.

Pros:
  • 2 Standard 810 Drip Tips (Resin and clear) and 510 adapter
  • standard positive and squonk pin included
  • plenty of spare o-rings
  • Color Options (10)
  • good quality post screws
  • Good over squonk protection
  • works well as a dripper or squonker
  • good build quality overall
  • Price point (under 30 USD)
  • Good Size Juice Well
  • stopper locks cap into place to make it easy to get on and off mods
  • Great easy to build on build deck
Cons:
  • flavor is mediocre for a dual coil RDA
  • no cotton or coils included
  • not a fan of the branding
  • AFC is harder to adjust then it should be
  • Top cap can get hot when chain vaping
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RDA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, and this one i have to lean towards the no. Really good dual coil RDAs are plentiful in vaping so i can’t see a reason to buy such a mediocre one. There is easily a dozen if not more RDAs out there with the same style and same price that just work better. I won’t be adding this to my sheet of recs linked down below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Elementvape

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors