Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Hugo Vapor Orbiter GT230 Mod Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Hugo Vapor Oribter GT230 Mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is a retail version and not marked as a sample

Introduction:
The Hugo Vapor Orbitor GT230 Mod is a newer mod from somewhat known manufacturer Hugo Vapor. They’ve made some pretty crazy looking mods in the past i remember a few years ago I reviewed their boxer mod but they are probably most well known for their recent squeezer mech squonk mod. The Orbiter is a dual 18650 mod rated at 230 watts and is styled well kind of crazy. Looking around I see the mod for 40-50 USD and it’s listed at 50 on their official site. It’s available in 3 colors Splatter which is what I have, Flash which looks the best to me, and Red Camo which from the pics appears to be “china red” aka pink.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Dimensions - 96mm by 58mm by 38mm
  • Weight - 70g
  • Dual High-Amp 18650 Batteries - Not Included
  • Wattage Output Range: 1-230W
  • Resistance Range: 0.06-3.0ohms
  • Ni200, Titanium, Stainless Steel Compatibility
  • TCR Mode
  • Custom User Mode
  • Nylon Fiber and Stainless Steel Construction
  • 0.96" TFT Color Display
  • Ergonomic Shape
  • Intuitive Firing Button
  • Two Adjustment Buttons - 1 Menu Button
  • Bottom-Loaded Hinged Battery Door Cover
  • Micro USB Port - Upgrade
  • Centered 510 Connection
  • Available in Splatter, Flash, Red Camo
Included in box:
  • 1 Orbiter 230W Box Mod
  • 1 Micro USB Cable
  • 1 Instructional Manual
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I didn’t really know what to expect. I noticed it’s really comfy right away. Almost midway between a box mod and the smok mag. Has the comfy ergonomics of the mag but without looking like a gun handle. I also really liked the rubber coating as well but the color is pretty fugly. I also didn’t care for the feeling though. It feels really cheap. It weighs nothing which is good, i weighed it at 70.4 grams, however the full plastic body feels cheap and i could probably death grip it and make it explode into pieces. Overall I was a bit torn on this mod form the start it’s comfy and lightweight, but also ugly and feels cheap.

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Sony VTC5A batteries for the testing. Testing resistances were done at .12, .15, .2, and .63 ohms. wattage points were max (230), 200, 150, 100, 75, 50 and 25. At .12 ohms it maxed out at 212 watts and 42 amps. For the rest of the testing it was on the low side 11-22 watts at 100+ but only 1-8 watts under 100 watts. Pretty typical struggle at that resistance and on par with most. At .15 it maxed out at 223 watts. The rest were pretty good 1-4 watts low or on point. For the .2 test it maxed out at 206 watts. Again really good but a little on the high side this time 2-6 watts mostly. For the .63 testing it maxed out at 94 watts and 7.679 volts. For the rest of the testing a little high 2-3 watts which is common. The volts shows there is no boost circuit in this mod like most dual battery mods have.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was really good. It struggled a little with the .12 ohm build which is common for most mods at that resistance to struggle a bit. It mostly hits slightly high at .2 or higher but slightly low under .2 overall though pretty accurate mod on par with many of the best ones. I was able to get 223 watts max, so I consider it to be accurately rated at 230 watts. The 7.679 volt limit shows there is no boost circuit. Their manual lists the max Volts at 8.4V so it does fall short of that. They list the theoretical limit which is impossible to achieve. I wish companies wouldn’t do that. If you don’t have a boost circuit the most you should list is around 8V no higher. They list an amp limit on this mod of 45A. The most i got was 42 with a .12 ohm coil which is above average for a dual battery mod (average is around 40 these days) but a bit short of the listed spec. Still it’s close enough so not going to complain there. Personally If i was listing the specs I’d call the mod 220 watts, 8V and 40A. So overall not bad listings except the volt limit which i feel is slightly overstated. The mod never got warm when stressing it at all. The mod also fires very fast and the preheats all work correctly. The mod has a C1 mode (watt curve) which works well as well.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is good. Mostly hits just a few watts off on the high side at .2 ohms or more and a few low under .2 ohms. Accurately rated for watts (223), No boost circuit, above average amp limit of 42 but falls short of the 45A listed. Volts tested at 7.679 so a less than the 8.4V listed. C1 (watt curve) works as it should.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire in SS mode but changed the TCR to 92 (default is 100), I tested 6 builds. 1 simple round single coil, 1 simple round dual Coil, 2 large fancy single coils builds, and 2 large fancy dual coil builds. The mod has full adjustable watts and full adjustable TCR in the preset modes but no TCR mode which is fine since you can adjust it anyway. With that said it’s really hard to pinpoint this one. It can be good at times and feels reasonably accurate but sadly a bit inconsistent as i have to fiddle with them temp quite a bit and get the occasional weak hit or too hot hit here and there. Happened on all my builds. It’s good most of the time around the 400-440F range for a warm vape and the throttle is mostly good but it’s just a bit too inconsistent for my liking. It’s not bad and can give a good vape at times but also not good or consistent enough. I’d consider it passable. Overall Not something i’d recommend for TC usage but not as bad as some other mods i’ve used either.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 5 click to turn on and off. The menu system is good but takes a bit to get used to. There is a menu button. Hold menu to go into settings or check device info. Settings allows you to change the screen color, reset puffs, set the clock, set the brightness, and factory reset. System info gives you the board temp, individual battery voltage which is great, as well as the firmware version. 3 clicks of menu allows you to cycle the modes using the plus and minus buttons. It has power, bypass, preheat, watt curve (C1), and TC for SS316, Ni200, and Ti wire. Bypass mode shows a live voltage output reading as well so that’s another way you can check your battery life. I really like that. In preheat mode click fire 3 times to set the preheat. You can set the watts and the time of it. In curve mode use 3 clicks of fire to program the curve, and in TC mode use 3 clicks to set the power and TCR. So pretty well done and overall fully featured.

The Hugo Vapor Orbiter GT230 adjusts by .1 watt increments under 100 watts and full watt increments 10 or more. Holding the button down does full watt as well and it adjusts nicely and is easy to do so well done there. The mod itself is built solid with no rattle at all, and has pretty much no weight. The Battery door is a standard Bottom Latch and It’s easy to get batteries in and out without damaging wraps and takes 2 18650 batteries, however the plastic door feels cheap and flimsy and isn’t easy to open or close really. That should have been better done. Not a fan of the battery door. It also has a slight gap when shut with batteries in it.

The rubber coating feels nice and doesn't scratch off but i do have some indents from my normal use, and let's face it is ugly as sin. There are also seems that stick out along the side where the 2 parts of the body join together making it look cheap. The plastic body feels cheap and i could probably squeeze it hard enough to crush it. It doesn't feel as sturdy as similar mods like the geekvape blade. The fire button is nice and clicky and a good size. It is a concave trigger like fire button. It works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be and is really comfy to use. The 510 pin gave me no issues and every atomizer i used on it worked great with no gaps. It does get hot during stress testing taking on heat from the atomizer though which is normal but the mod itself being plastic doesn't get hot. There was also a few times during my testing when stressing the mod it would hunt voltage but it’s rare and doesn't happen in normal usage. Only when the chip gets hot from high wattage chain vaping. Not a big deal since it won’t affect normal vaping habits, but worth the mention. Shortly after that the mod would give me a too hot warning and go into protection and not fire until I let it cool down so glad the safety feature is there. The mod handles a 30mm atomizer flush which is great. The 510 is on a 30mm platform. The screen is a good size .96 inch color screen that is nice and bright and easy to see. Also for branding the mod itself there is no visible branding which is nice. They list 2A charging as well but i don’t recommend charging internally in your mods and I don’t test charge rates of devices like this due to that.

Pros:
  • 3 color options
  • Power mode performance
  • Accurately rated for watts
  • good amp limit (42) with accurate rating
  • good volt limit for a mod without a boost circuit
  • batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • good size bright screen
  • nice fire button
  • handles 30mm atomizers without overhang
  • watt curve mode (C1)
  • good menu system
  • easy to adjust wattage quickly
  • lightweight
  • very comfy to use
  • individual battery voltage readings
Cons:
  • Build Quality feels cheap
  • Battery door isn’t great
  • ugly looking mod
  • TC performance could be better
  • overstated volt limit in specs
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no and this one i have to call at 50/50. It’s not a bad mod by any mean and performs good in power mode (but gets a no for TC mode) but dual 18650 battery mods have so many good options out there and with the TC issues and the cheap feeling and ugly design it’s hard for me to recommend this over other mods. I wouldn’t tell people to avoid it though by any means as it is comfy and light and does a good job in power mode and even has a watt curve mode. I won’t be adding this mod to my sheet of recs linked down below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Hugo Vapor

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors