Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Innokin Ares MTL RTA Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Innokin Ares MTL RTA Disclaimer: This products was sent to me from Innokin

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. I spend more time with products then most reviewers and try to be thorough, do disassemblies to check for design flaws, do accuracy testing, and stress testing, something that is typically done in maintenance industries to try and “force” a failure or diagnose a potential failure point to give me an idea of a devices longevity. With that said, there is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small % failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Introduction:
The Innokin Ares MTL RTA, is a new RTA designed by reviewers Phil Busardo and Vaping Greek, Phil being famous for his in depth reviews and his love of MTL vaping. Probably the only reviewer i’m aware of who prefers MTL vaping which has made him very popular for the MTL style vapers. Keeping with the popular naming of vape gear Ares is the greek god of war and probably one of the most popular and well known greek gods. The Ares MTL RTA is a 24mm single coil RTA.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Dimensions: 24 x 59mm
  • Construction: Stainless Steel and Pyrex Glass
  • Drop-in Coil Sky Build Deck for Single Coil Builds
  • Rounded Bell Chamber to Reduce Air Turbulence
  • Liquid Barrier to Minimize Leaks
  • Designed for Mouth to Lung (MTL)
  • Push to Slide Top Fill Design
  • Tank Capacity: 4ml
  • Single Adjustable Airflow Slot with 4 Holes
  • Additional Single Airflow Hole on the Side
  • Japanese Organic Cotton
  • Includes Two Different Delrin Drip Tips
  • Includes Phil's Build Tool and Dimitris' Build Tool
  • Colors: Black and SS
Included in box:
  • 1x ARES RTA
  • 1x Organic cotton
  • 2x Pre build coils
  • 1x 1M wire ,
  • 2x Sets of screws (Phillips and Straight),
  • Black orings installed
  • 2x Green orings
  • 2x White orings
  • 2 Types of drip tips (wide and narrow bore)
  • Clear glass installed
  • 1x Smoked glass replacement or different look
  • 1x Multi Screwdriver
  • 1x Phils Build Tool
  • 1x Dimi build tool
Pictures:
Stock Shots:
ares-3.jpg

Deck
EVdGRxd.jpg

4Siox0B.jpg

Builds and Wicks
n1j8B59.jpg

GNvuWvn.jpg

8hp8sPT.jpg

ezcvMVA.jpg

Broken Down
7tZbER9.jpg

8vGH2my.jpg

Box and contents:
kzNXJ04.jpg

JTyme3R.jpg

Top fill:
9birDsL.jpg

Smallest Air setting:
XoufdfJ.jpg

Pics on mods
FEArchz.jpg

31B4qWI.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this RTA i was pretty impressed with the packaging and accessories. I was lucky enough to be on reddit when phil did his AMA and gave me his build specs. The 2 included coils in the package are built to his spec. I used one and it’s a kanthal coil at around 1 ohm. There is also an included tinted glass colored extra o-rings extra wire organic cotton, 2 build tools one coil jig with a 2.5 and 3 mm bars and one with a threaded bar for making spaced coils easily. Not the 1st time i’ve seen it but it’s a nice touch and i haven’t seen that included in quite some time. They also pack in an extra pair of flat head screws as the deck come pre-installed with phillips. It’s pretty much a package that has enough materials to keep people going for months without needing more wire or cotton so that is pretty well done. They also include a QR code that links to instructional videos making it very new builder friendly. It also has 11 air flow settings and the manual is really simple and well done.

Build Deck (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s a simple 2 post design where your leads from your coil are made to go in opposite directions. The airflow is on the bottom directly under the coil and uses the “swiss cheese” style of airflow. The deck comes preinstalled with phillips screws. The quality on them is good but i’m not a fan of phillips. They do have an extra set included of flat head though which are better. I would have preferred hex and flat personally. The posts themselves are like an open fork where you slide the lead through then use the screw to press it against the post. It’s simple and works well. For me i normally wrap clockwise and doing so puts the leads in the correct position. It always sets your coils right above the airflow in good position. Overall it’s an easy to use build deck that works well so no complaints from me there. 3MM is about the max size of coil it can take. You could probably squeeze a 3.5mm in there but the designer recommends 3mm and they have a jog for 2.5 as well so I wouldn’t worry about going bigger. The wick holes are nice and large and the “GTA” style makes it pretty easy and forgiving. I’ve used a lot and i’ve used a little. It worked just fine both ways with no leaking so i’d say go for the larger amount as it kept up with chain vaping just fine. Just don’t overstuff it too much. I wick personally all the way to the deck it always worked best for me with the GTA style tanks and fluff the ends on the bottom.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Performance
Performance wise, I used it exclusively as a single coil RTA as it’s intended to be. I used 1 included coil which is built to phil’s specs (kanthal). I also used the same spec with Ni80 as well (8 wraps spaced 26g 3mm ID). I ran 2 contact coils as well an 8 wrap and a 12 wrap of 26g Ni80 wire and the 8 wrap (pictured above) contact twisted fused clapton SS316l wire. All builds 3mm ID. I ran the Air flow every way possible with all the builds. Wattages used were 15-30 watts except the SS316l build which was ran in TC mode with a 40 watt setting. I’ll be the first to admit i’m not a MTL vaper. It’s just not my preferred style so take what i say with a grain of salt. I do however have other MTL atomizers for comparison like the nicolas and zenith tanks and the hastur RTA as well as a few pod MTL systems. I’ve also talked with quite a few MTL enthusiasts as well during my review process of this RTA. With that said the draw is never real tight. At It’s smallest it’s a loose MTL IMO and at it’s largest its a RLH DTL draw. It never gives the tight “smoking like” draw. It’s also got a pretty large chamber for a MTL device. With the smallest air setting and sucking hard i’ve managed to draw up a little juice through the tip. Not a big deal but worth mentioning. Flavor wise it’s decent but again MTL isn’t my style of vape as i never get great flavor from it despite emulating plenty of enthusiasts “flavor monster builds” so take it with a grain of salt as YMMV.

Overall Impressions and other notes
The RTA features a slide back top fill. Quite a few use this method these days and it works great and is really smooth.The fill hole is large enough to accommodate any type of bottle to fill easily. I’ve heard of a few people with defective one’s which innokin has issued they will replace those. Mine however is built excellent. The threading quality is great and i have no leaks from anywhere either. The have 2 drip tips one being a wider bore then the other. The airflow adjustment is on a stopper and very smooth and easy to adjust. Overall just a very nicely built RTA with no issues or leaks.

Pros:
  • Build Quality
  • looks good
  • Price Point
  • 2 510 tips included or use your own
  • build deck
  • Included Tools and extras
  • top fill design is great
  • airflow adjustment is easy and smooth
  • 4ml capacity is good for a single coil RTA
  • easy to build and wick
Cons:
  • No real tight air flow option loose MTL at It’s lowest point
  • flavor was lacking IMO
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RTA? I don’t like to do hard yes or no, and this being a MTL RTA makes it much tougher for me as it’s not my style of vaping, but the pros do outweight the cons by a lot and flavor is subjective as many enjoy MTL flavor. Also MTL RTAs have been pretty rare lately with the market shift to DTL vaping. For a while it was mostly really expensive atomizers or cheap clone versions so it’s nice to see a well built authentic MTl RTA in the 40ish dollar range. With that said I’m going to go 50/50 on this. It’s not bad by any means but not super impressive either. So while i wouldn’t throw my name on it personally i wouldn’t advise anyone against it either.

Feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c4MZ2xYBE-1-0A6rLYY46OHtzHCM-roJINpxghmhzXM/edit?usp=sharing
this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it.

I want to thank you guys for reading. This is Anthony Vapes, just keeping it honest as always, hopefully you all can say you’re doing the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Performance
Performance wise, I used it exclusively as a single coil RTA as it’s intended to be. I used 1 included coil which is built to phil’s specs (kanthal). I also used the same spec with Ni80 as well (8 wraps spaced 26g 3mm ID). I ran 2 contact coils as well an 8 wrap and a 12 wrap of 26g Ni80 wire and the 8 wrap (pictured above) contact twisted fused clapton SS316l wire. All builds 3mm ID. I ran the Air flow every way possible with all the builds. Wattages used were 15-30 watts except the SS316l build which was ran in TC mode with a 40 watt setting. I’ll be the first to admit i’m not a MTL vaper. It’s just not my preferred style so take what i say with a grain of salt. I do however have other MTL atomizers for comparison like the nicolas and zenith tanks and the hastur RTA as well as a few pod MTL systems. I’ve also talked with quite a few MTL enthusiasts as well during my review process of this RTA. With that said the draw is never real tight. At It’s smallest it’s a loose MTL IMO and at it’s largest its a RLH DTL draw. It never gives the tight “smoking like” draw. It’s also got a pretty large chamber for a MTL device. With the smallest air setting and sucking hard i’ve managed to draw up a little juice through the tip. Not a big deal but worth mentioning. Flavor wise it’s decent but again MTL isn’t my style of vape as i never get great flavor from it despite emulating plenty of enthusiasts “flavor monster builds” so take it with a grain of salt as YMMV.

Overall Impressions and other notes
The RTA features a slide back top fill. Quite a few use this method these days and it works great and is really smooth.The fill hole is large enough to accommodate any type of bottle to fill easily. I’ve heard of a few people with defective one’s which innokin has issued they will replace those. Mine however is built excellent. The threading quality is great and i have no leaks from anywhere either. The have 2 drip tips one being a wider bore then the other. The airflow adjustment is on a stopper and very smooth and easy to adjust. Overall just a very nicely built RTA with no issues or leaks.

Pros:
  • Build Quality
  • looks good
  • Price Point
  • 2 510 tips included or use your own
  • build deck
  • Included Tools and extras
  • top fill design is great
  • airflow adjustment is easy and smooth
  • 4ml capacity is good for a single coil RTA
  • easy to build and wick
Cons:
  • No real tight air flow option loose MTL at It’s lowest point
  • flavor was lacking IMO
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RTA? I don’t like to do hard yes or no, and this being a MTL RTA makes it much tougher for me as it’s not my style of vaping, but the pros do outweight the cons by a lot and flavor is subjective as many enjoy MTL flavor. Also MTL RTAs have been pretty rare lately with the market shift to DTL vaping. For a while it was mostly really expensive atomizers or cheap clone versions so it’s nice to see a well built authentic MTl RTA in the 40ish dollar range. With that said I’m going to go 50/50 on this. It’s not bad by any means but not super impressive either. So while i wouldn’t throw my name on it personally i wouldn’t advise anyone against it either.

Feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c4MZ2xYBE-1-0A6rLYY46OHtzHCM-roJINpxghmhzXM/edit?usp=sharing
this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it.

I want to thank you guys for reading. This is Anthony Vapes, just keeping it honest as always, hopefully you all can say you’re doing the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.
Nice review. Seems to be a bit disappointing especially coming from a reviewer that is a MTL vaper.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors