Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Lost Vape Paranormal DNA250C Mod Tech Revew

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Lost Vape Paranormal DNA250C Mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links.

Introduction:
The Lost Vape Paranormal DNA250c is the latest mod from Lost vape, a company who really doesn't need an introduction. Lost Vape is one of the most popular brands in vaping due to their classy looking designs, well built mods, and the use of the evolv DNA chip which is an excellent chip and a community cult favorite. They launched the original paranormal last year with the DNA250 chip and this is the updated version with evolv's newest DNA chip the DNA250C. The Paranormal DNA250C is a dual 18650 mod rated at 200 watts (a bump up for DNA chips from their normal 166 watt limit in dual battery mods) and the new replay mode as well. Elementvape is selling the mod for 139.95 which is the pretty standard price for a Lost Vape DNA mod. Last time i purchased one personally was 149.95 for the therion 166 snakeskin edition so no surprise on the price there. It’s available in a crazy 15 color combinations with interchangeable side panels as well.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Dimensions - 91.5mm by 55mm by 27.5mm
  • Dual High-Amp 18650 Battery Platform - Not Included
  • Patented Evolv DNA250 Color Chipset
  • Wattage Output Range: 1-200W
  • Temperature Range: 200-600F
  • Min Kanthal Resistance: 0.1ohm
  • Min Temperature Resistance: 0.08ohm
  • Preheat Functionality
  • Replay Functionality - Temp-Sensing & Tuning of Temperature Control
  • Boost Mode - Increase Initial Power Output and Ramp-Up Time
  • Intuitive OLED Display
  • Die Cast Zinc Alloy Chassis Construction
  • Genuine Leather Battery Door
  • Highly Responsive Three Adjustment
  • Reverse Protection System
  • Upgradeable Escribe Software
  • 98% Output Efficiency
  • Cell-by-Cell Monitoring
  • Cell Balancer
  • Atomizer Protection
  • Low Resistance Protection
  • Short Circuit Protection
  • Overheat Protection
  • Low Voltage Step Down Protection
  • Onboard Reverse Polarity Protection
  • Micro-USB Port - 2A Balance Charging Capability
  • Stainless Steel 510 Thread Point
  • Spring-Loaded Nickel Plated Brass 510 Connection
Included in box:
  • 1 Paranormal DNA250C Mod
  • 1 spare set of panels
  • 1 USB Adapter
  • 1 Micro USB Cable
  • 1 Warranty Card
  • Instructional Manual
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions
When I first got this Mod, I was pretty impressed with it. I’m no stranger to DNA mods or lost vape mods. Last year i purchased their therion snake skin dna166 edition and prior to that i purchased their triade DNA250 as well and i have quite a few DNA mods. They make some of the nicest looking mods in my opinion and the DNA chip itself is one of the best in temp control on the market. I love the design of the paranormal itself as i never got their older version. It has a upscale classy look and nice weight and quality to it. The new DNA C chip interfaces are much improved over the older non C versions with some new features and i was already familiar with it having reviewed a couple DNA 75C mods already as well. The big new feature here is replay which i’ll go over in a bit that wasn’t out when i did my DNA 75C reviews however you can upgrade the firmware to add it into the 75C chips now. Either way it’s safe to say my expectations were met form the start out of what i expected with this mod which were pretty high.

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Sony VTC5A batteries for the testing. I also did the case analyzer and set the internal resistance (i’ll explain that more later) Testing resistances were done at .118, .15, .2, and .621 ohms. wattage points were max (200), 150, 100, 75, 50 and 25. At .118 ohms it maxed out at 198 watts and 41 amps. For the rest of the testing it was on point or a little on the low side 1-4 watts. Really accurate at such a low resistance where many mods struggle At .15 it maxed out at 207 watts. The rest were pretty good hitting slightly high across the board, it was 6 watts high at 150 setting but only 1-2 watts high 100 or less worse case. For the .2 test it maxed out at 206 watts. Again pretty good but a little on the high side. For 150 test it was 11 watts high but under 150 2-7 watts high. For the .621 testing it maxed out at 95 watts and 7.679 volts. For the rest of the testing 2-7 watts high. The volts shows there is no boost circuit in this mod like most dual battery mods on the market however the 7.679 was very good for a non boost circuit mod.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was really good as expected from a DNA mod. However it’s not the dead on accurate much better than any other mod in power mode people tend to claim it is. Objectively speaking the test results shows it performs on par with other good performing power mode mods, but not any better either. I was impressed It didn’t really struggle with the .118 ohm build as I was able to get 198 watts at that resistance, but it’s not the only mod to push almost 200 at that resistance either. Once you get to the 150 watts on other resistances it tends to hit a little high as well as hitting a little high all the time at the .2 ohm resistance or higher. It’s most accurate at .15 ohms or less but still very good accuracy overall compared with other mods. They did add in a preheat option as well. The older DNA chips didn’t have one but could be tricked into it with escribe. The new one has a simple easy one to set up but all my testing was done with the preheat off (called boost) I’ll go over that more later.

I was able to get 207 watts max, so I consider it to be accurately rated at 200 watts, even a little underrated. It’s understandable as it’s a universal chip not made for just one mod and the max output actually changes based on the battery configuration used. In 2 battery mods like this 200 watts is the max. But with 3 battery mods it’s 250-300 depending on firmware and with 4 batteries listed at 400 watts. So essentially the chip will do 100 watts per cell. The 7.679 volt limit shows there is no boost circuit. I’m sure they have it listed somewhere but i couldn’t find a volt limit or amp limit specifically for 2 battery configuration on the chip. The 7.679 i got with a .621 ohm coil was good though. For amps the most i got was 41 with a .118 ohm coil but it was capped off by watts. It’s possible it could have gotten even more but the 41 is right around the average for a dual battery mod and supplying max wattage at such a low resistance means amps will never be an issue. The mod never got warm when stressing it at 150+ watts and handles it very well.

A couple of things i wanted to point out here. I’m glad they added a preheat to the mod in power mode that is easy to set up. It’s called boost and you can turn it on and then pick form level 1 to 11. With that said there are 2 things i feel missing from this mod for power mode. The first is a watt curve mode. While i normally wouldn’t ding a mod for not having it and consider it a pro when a mod does, since the DNA chip is considered one of the best in the market and it seems like such an easy thing for them to add in, i’m surprised it hasn’t since many cheaper priced mods do have watt curve mode these days like geekvape, asmodus, aspire, smoant, voopoo and vaporesso and even the new pulse 80w VV chip. A high end company like evolv should be matching features from cheaper companies if those features make sense. The 2nd thing i feel is missing is a boost circuit. I do kinda get it since the chip can be used with 4 batteries in mods and deliver 400 watts and likely over 12 volts in that configuration so it wouldn’t be needed, however for a dual mod it makes a lot of sense so it could have been added in and programmed out if used in 3 or 4 battery mods. Especially since not many 3 or 4 battery mods are made these days yet dual mods are made all the time. If you go back to late 2016 no mods had boost circuits for dual battery mods so it made sense that DNA chips didn’t have them (yes i know the single battery ones have them like most single battery mods, i’m talking about the dual battery mods only here). If memory serves me correct the fist mod to have it was released in early 2017 with the SX mini G class which was a 200-250 dollar mod. However the DNA250c chip released in late 2017 IIRC and at that point companies like vaporesso, aspire, geekvape, and even some wismec mods have boost circuits so again it makes sense that DNA chips should match it

Now i know this section was long winded, but in short while it’s a great chip for power mode, I don’t consider it the best due to the lack of power curve, lack of boost circuit, and it’s accuracy isn’t any better then other good dual battery mods either so for the extra money you pay for a DNA chip it’s not worth it performance wise to only use a power mode mod as it has no advantages over other good mods in this mode and even has disadvantages.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is really good. Mostly hits just a few watts off on the high side or on point. Accurately rated for watts (207), above average amp limit of 41. Volts tested at 7.679 with a .621 ohm coil. Also impressive you can get 198 or more watts (pretty much full watts) from a .118 to a .2 ohm coil. Lacks boost circuit and watt curve modes. Does have pre-heat.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Replay Mode
Replay mode is the new big feature from evolv for their DNA chips. I’m not doing a temp control section or going over temp control as everyone knows that DNA mods are one of the best chips available today for temp control along with the high end yihi ones and of course this one doesn't disappoint so no reason to spend too much time on that. So let's go over replay mode and what it is and how it works. Also for people saying the idea is brand new it’s really not. Ijoy did a “taste control” many years ago with the asolo mod and had it on a few mods going all the way into mid 2017 before they dropped it. Of course like most ijoy mods and their temp control stuff it didn’t work worth a dam. So the idea of replay is pretty basic. You can put on a build with any wire combo or just regular wire as long as some of the wire is one of the temp control types (ni200, SS, Ti). For me i only used SS316 as always for my reviews. Using SS wire i ran 8 builds in replay mode ranging from your standard round wire builds to fancier builds both single and dual coil. What you do is go into replay mode set an appropriate wattage and vape. When the vape reaches the temp you want it to be at you stop vaping and select save puff. Then the screen will say playing and it’ll keep the vape at that temperature. From what i can tell it appears it measures the change in resistance and locks in your ending resistance as the point it wants to maintain it at allowing you to have a smooth consistent vape. I’m sure it’s more complicated than that but that is the basic concept behind it and i have to say it works great. It doesn’t vape any different then if you set up TC correctly on a DNA mod but it allows for a much easier set up to get a TC vape without the hassle of dealing with profiles and setting up material types profiles. It’s basically temp control made easy and it works great so it gets 2 thumbs up from me.

Other Usage Notes
I’m not going to go into detail on how to use the mod since it’s a DNA chip and you can write a book on it. There are plenty of good sources for that. I will say with the new C chips like in this mod they have become more user friendly and you can make more adjustments on the mod itself without escribe but you still need escribe to set up your profiles as there are better ones than the default ones for temp control. I ran the case analyzer and set the internal resistance as well. I have some pics of the resistance in the album above. Lost vape did a good job setting it up as a default. It came pre-programmed at .004 which is nice. Lots of times DNA mods aren't programmed for that from the factory and left at 0. I used the tool myself and adjusted it correctly to .005 so they were pretty close and you really don’t need to worry about doing it yourself on this mod.

The Paranormal DNA250C is a very nicely built mod. Feels solid and heavy in the hands similar to the therion. I only had 2 complaints on the therion. The first one was the leather felt cheap and thin on my snakeskin one and the other was the battery sled which was hard to get in and out and really chewed through battery wraps. Both of those issues have been fixed on the paranormal. The Battery door is a standard bottom loading latch. It can be a little hard to close and does have a minor gap with batteries in but not a big deal. Still a big improvement from the Therion and It’s easy to get batteries in and out without damaging wraps and takes 2 18650 batteries. The leather on the back (mine is red/black kevlar) feels really nice and thick and looks nice. There is a small resin strip above that as well for a little flair.

The paint looks nice and doesn't scratch off, and i have no visible wear. The mod features replaceable side plates as well and comes with 2 sets. Mine came with a set of wood ones preinstalled and a spare set of black carbon fibre ones. One of my wood panels was slightly warped and wouldn’t stay in. it fell out a few times. That was disappointing. I swapped them out for the carbon fibre ones. They both look great in the mods and the carbon fibre ones fit perfect with no issues or falling out. They include a suction cup tool for replacing the panels.

The fire button is nice and clicky and a good size. It’s a simple round button. It works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be. The 510 pin gave me no issues and every atomizer i used on it worked great with no gaps. It’s screwed down from the outside and a very nice 510 pin as usual with lost vape products. The mod handles 25mm atomizer flush. Anything bigger will overhang and the 510 isn’t centered. It’s just like the therion one.

The screen is a good size .9 inch rectangle color screen that is nice and bright and easy to see. Even in sunlight it’s pretty visible. Also for branding the mod itself is pretty nice overall and not heavily branded. The top has a small engraved paranormal logo with the words Paranormal and DNA 250c below it. The bottom has the designed and manufactured by lost vape. They list 2 amp balanced charging as well but i don’t recommend charging internally in your mods however DNA chips are known for having a great charging circuit.

Pros:
  • Build Quality
  • tons of color options
  • Classy looking design
  • nice leather
  • replaceable side panels
  • Power mode performance
  • Accurately rated for watts
  • high amp limit
  • menu is good and easier to use then older DNA chips
  • batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • escribe software to load profiles, customize mod, and make mod adjustments
  • nice large color screen
  • excellent temp control performance
  • replay mode is great as an easy temp control set up
  • Evolv has a great warranty and service
  • nice 510 pin
  • handles 25mm atomizer without overhang
Cons:
  • one of my wood panels came warped
  • slight gap on battery door
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do the hard yes or no and i know it’s a bit pricey as well but if you have the spare money or want an excellent temp control vape it’s easily a yes and one of my favorite mods of the year. If you are on a budget and don’t care about temp control it’s not going to do anything special a cheaper mod wouldn’t and you don’t need to splurge on it though. If you have the money it’s well worth the purchase.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

It can be purchased here for 139.95 https://www.elementvape.com/lost-vape-paranormal-200w-dna250c-box-mod

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Elementvape

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 200 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm glad you did a review of this mod, Anthony. I've been saving up for 3 months to get one and Daniel hasn't reviewed the 250c Paranormal yet. Thank you!

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
makes sense. it does get tiring testing yet another DNA chip lol

I guess really, the only difference would be the 75c is just a throttled down version of the 250c. The mod they're housed in will be pretty much the same except for battery orientation. Anyway, once again, I appreciate the review and thanks again.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I guess really, the only difference would be the 75c is just a throttled down version of the 250c. The mod they're housed in will be pretty much the same except for battery orientation. Anyway, once again, I appreciate the review and thanks again.
75C is single batt so has a boost circuit, 250c is made for multiple batteries and no boost but outside of that should be pretty similar.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I finally did it. My Paranormal is on its way. I ordered it Sunday night and it shipped today. I got the same one you have - carbon fiber/wood grain, and red/black kevlar. I'm really looking foward to it! :)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Well, I finally did it. My Paranormal is on its way. I ordered it Sunday night and it shipped today. I got the same one you have - carbon fiber/wood grain, and red/black kevlar. I'm really looking foward to it! :)
awesome! i think you'll love it as much as i do

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Anthony, got my paranormal in the mail on thursday and I'm absolutely loving it! I've got one last question and I'll leave you alone.

How did you know to change the internal resistance to .005 from .004? And, is it that critical? Alright, that's 2 questions. Sorry. :)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Anthony, got my paranormal in the mail on thursday and I'm absolutely loving it! I've got one last question and I'll leave you alone.

How did you know to change the internal resistance to .005 from .004? And, is it that critical? Alright, that's 2 questions. Sorry. :)
you need to buy the tool or make one. IIRC there are probably a few youtube vids to show you how to do it.

as far as it being critical i wouldn't worry about it at all

VU Sponsors