Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Smoant Charon 218 TS Touchscreen Mod Review and Tech Test

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here my review of the smoant charon 218 TS. Disclaimer: this product was sent to me for the purpose of this review from smoant and elementvape.com

Introduction:
The charon 218 TS is the latest in the line of charon mods from smoant. This one featuring a large touch 2.4” OLED touch screen like the smok g-priv. It’s a short and wide mod almost square in shape if not for the rounded edges. It has 2 buttons a lock and fire button. The battery door is magnetic.It’s available in 6 colors currently. SS, black, wood, rainbow, camo, and blue

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Dual 18650 High-Amp Battery - Not Included
  • Wattage Output Range: 1-218W
  • Minimum Atomizer Resistance: 0.05ohm
  • Temperature Range: 200-600F
  • Versatile Temperature Control Module
  • Supports Ni200 Nickel, Titanium, and Stainless Steel Heating Elements
  • Temperature Coefficient of Relativity (TCR) Adjustments
  • Three Memory Mode
  • Superior Zinc Alloy Construction
  • Magnetized Battery Door Cover
  • Large 2.4" OLED Touch Screen - Ultra-Responsive
  • Shock-Resistance Glass
  • User-Friendly Interface
  • Oversized Firing Mechanism
  • Low Resistance Protection
  • Over-time Protection
  • Reverse Polarity Protection
  • Overheating Protection
  • MicroUSB Port
  • 510 Connection
Included in box:
  • 1 Smoant Charon 218 TS
  • 1 USB Cable
  • 1 Warranty card and user manual
Pictures and test results
Test Chart:
AzLlcQr.png

Spreadsheet:
xJh0XpF.png

Stock Shot :
smoant_charon_ts_218_touch_screen_box_mod_all_colors_with_oled_scren_.jpg

TC screen:
8EhT7nW.jpg

Mod Side:
dkA1QNo.jpg

Curve Mode screen:
Np6z7gQ.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I was pretty impressed with how big and bright the screen is. Looks nicer then my g-priv screen. The size and shape didn’t bother me as i was used to it form the g-priv however i like a fire bar better than the fire button. I got 2 of these mods. The rainbow and the wood. The rainbow has no button rattle but the wood one has a little button rattle. The frame is rounded off making it really comfortable to hold. The battery door is solid and doesn't move at all even when trying to make it move. There is no play in it. The touch screen is very responsive and the menu system is easy to use. It’s packed with features like TCR mode and watt curve mode and temp curve mode. The GUI looks clean and packs more than enough info without being crowded. Overall I really liked this mod from the get go.

Watt Mode Performance
Let’s get into some data. Before talking about the test results, I wanted to talk about some issues I encountered. 1st off the mod doesn't dissipate heat very well and can be prone to overheating and giving you the too hot message. The lock button also gets hot. It transfers a lot of heat from the atty to the frame of the mod. The preheat settings are also off. It takes a bit for the mod to settle in from the preheat function. Longer then i would like. Soft acts a s a super soft, while normal (which should be no preheat) still ramps up like a soft would. The hard setting ramps up faster but is the closest to normal i’ve seen but still starts below it’s set wattage. The max setting is more like a hard it still ramps up but then overshoots the set wattage like it should before settling back down. So realistically the soft is super soft, the normal is soft, the hard is normal and the max is hard. This could be fixed in a firmware update but i review things as is so it will get dinged for this. I’ve seen other reviewers mistakenly call it a fire delay which can be what it feels like, but it’s not a fire delay. Most people would be best off using the hard or max settings.

Resistances for this mod’s testing were done at .1, .14, .19 and .54 for the high resistance test. The mod read resistance accurate. The wattage testing points were max watts (218), 200, 150, 100, 75, 50, and 25. At .1 ohms the mod maxed out at 214 watts and 46 amps. The 46 amps is on the high side for a dual mod and pretty impressive. During the tests it was pretty accurate, hitting between 7 watts low to on the dot at 25. At the .14 test it maxed out at 230 watts. Outside of the max it was 14 high at 200 but the rest of the testing between 1 low to 3 high. At the .19 test it maxed out at 231 watts. And outside the max setting was 1 low to 10 high. For the high resistance test of .54 it maxed out at 106 watts and 7.574 volts. The 7.574 is above average for a dual battery buck only mod. Many are 7 or lower. For the rest of the testing it varied from on the dot to 4 high. My max wattage overall was 231 so it exceeds the 218 watts promised. The max amps (46) i got from my testing was on the high side for a dual battery mod. Overall it performs good at the lower wattages except for the preheat issue bu it gets way to hot to be used as a high watt mod. I recommend keeping it below the 150 mark to prevent overheating and is best used as a mod below 125 with a hard or max preheat

The VW curve mode however performed excellent. Pretty much matching the look of the curve setting on screen with the readings from the oscilloscope. It’s one of the best features of this mod and best performers for a curve mode and very easy to program with the touch screen.

Temperature Control
Using SS316 wire with the default SS316 profile and with the TCR setting of 00092. I tested 8 builds ranging from single round spaced single and dual coils, to fancy single coils and fancy dual coil builds. 1st thing of note, much like the other smoant mods, although it performs well in SS mode, it does run hot. Based on the screen it appears the TCR value is wrong for it on the high side which would explain that. Using TCR mode with 00092 provided a much more accurate experience so i recommend that route. Outside of the that the mod performs as you would expect from smooth at this time. It’s smooth and consistent and works well. You can set your wattage with no limits, ramp up is great, throttle is great. It works very well in TCR mode. One of the best from a mid range mod.

Other Usage Notes
The 510 pin on the mod is really good no issues with any atomizer and reads resistance accurate. The screen is big and bright and the touch is responsive. The menu system is really easy to use and well laid out. The curve modes are easy to set up and program. It features a lock button that you hold to lock the screen and tap to turn the screen off. The fire button has a 3 click to lock or 5 click to turn the device off. The finish on the rainbow one looks great. The wood one looks ok. I had a buddy say it reminded him of a 1980s tv lol. I think it looks decent though. The battery tray is great. Easy to get batteries in and out without damaging wraps and the battery door is solid with no play in it. The rounded design of the frame makes it comfortable to hold. 25mm attys sit flush on the mod and looks great.

Pros:
  • Build Quality
  • Curve Mode performance
  • Temp Mode Performance
  • Good quality 510 pin
  • Looks and style
  • Large bright screen with plenty of info
  • easy menu system
  • color options
  • Touch controls
Cons:
  • Doesn’t handle heat well
  • Preheat settings in power mode are off
  • SS mode has wrong TCR value
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do hard yes or no. This mod is very 50/50 for me. With the right tweaks in the right hands it can perform very good. The curve mode is great as is TCR mode as long as you keep the watts under 150ish so it doesn't overheat. But the quirks of the pre heat settings in watt mode and the TCR being off in SS mode means that people that try to use the basic modes won’t get as good of a vape so I can't personally put my name on it, but in the right hands with the right knowledge it will be a solid mod for you. This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

For good recommendations feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c4MZ2xYBE-1-0A6rLYY46OHtzHCM-roJINpxghmhzXM/edit?usp=sharing this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it.

Again I want to thank Smoant and elementvape.com for sending me this for the purpose of this review. They have it for 74.95 in all 6 colors here https://www.elementvape.com/smoant-charon-ts-218-touch-screen-box-mod

Thanks for the thorough review! After using it for a couple days now, I can say I'm pretty impressed with it. This mod has a very responsive touchscreen (almost as good as a smartphone) and overall great performance but it is slightly on the heavy side. It's over 300 grams and close to 400 grams with tank, batteries and liquid loaded. It goes through batteries a bit quicker than regular mods, so expect to keep a spare set.

Bought mine <a href="https://www.ozonesmoke.com/smoant-charon-ts-218-tc-touch-screen-mod.html">Smoant Charon TS 218 TC Touch Screen Mod</a> for $69

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thanks for the thorough review! After using it for a couple days now, I can say I'm pretty impressed with it. This mod has a very responsive touchscreen (almost as good as a smartphone) and overall great performance but it is slightly on the heavy side. It's over 300 grams and close to 400 grams with tank, batteries and liquid loaded. It goes through batteries a bit quicker than regular mods, so expect to keep a spare set.

Bought mine <a href="https://www.ozonesmoke.com/smoant-charon-ts-218-tc-touch-screen-mod.html">Smoant Charon TS 218 TC Touch Screen Mod</a> for $69
when your account has 3 posts in 2 months and 2 have links to the same site, sounds like you need to contact the mods for a vendor badge?

VU Sponsors