Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Smok Trinity Alpha Pod Kit Tech Review. A Better Orion?

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Smok Trinity Alpha Pod Kit, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links. Note this is not marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The Smok Trinity Alpha Pod kit is the latest Pod Kit from popular vape manufacturer Smok. They are probably overall the best selling brand, however in a lot of online communities not very well liked. In my experience with them they are a pretty average company not as awful as people claim, but not anything great either. Just average. The Trinity Alpha is a simple slim rectangle style AIO Pod with refillable pods and a built in 1000mah battery and button press to fire. It’s available in 6 colors Red, Prism Rainbow, Prism Chrome, Bright Black, Prism Gold, and Prism Blue. Elementvape has them in stock in the USA all colors for 29.95 for the kit or 22.95 for the battery only, and replacement pods for 6.95, and replacement coils for 10.95 a 5 pack so great price point as well.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Dimensions - 91mm by 38mm by 16mm
  • Weight - 90g
  • All-in-One Design
  • Integrated 1000mAh Rechargeable Battery
  • Output Wattage Power: 6-30W
  • Resistance Range: 0.5ohm - 3.0ohm
  • Voltage Input Range: 3.3-4.2V
  • Voltage Output Range: 2.4-6.0V
  • Charging Current: 700mA
  • Variable Output Modes - SOFT, NORM, HARD
  • Highly Responsive Firing & Adjustment Button
  • LED Light Battery Indicator
  • 510 MTL Delrin Drip Tip
  • 8 Seconds Cut-Off Protection
  • Short-Circuit Protection
  • Low Voltage Warning
  • MicroUSB Port Charging System
  • Propreitary Magnetized Connection
  • Available in RESIN Edition - Prism Chrome, Black, Red / Yellow , Blue, Rainbow, Gold, Green
Pod Details
  • Utilizes the SMOK NORD Coil System
  • 2.8mL Refillable Pod Cartridge Design
  • MTL Delrin Drip Tip
  • Air-Driven Design
  • Organic Cotton
  • Proprietary Pod Cartridge Installation
Coil Options (all coils are kanthal)
  • 0.6ohm Nord Mesh Coils - Optimized for Sub-Ohm Experience - 25W Max
  • 0.8ohm Nord Mesh-MTL Coils - 16W Max
  • 1.4ohm Nord Regular Coils - Optimized for MTL Experience
  • 1.4ohm Nord Ceramic Coils - High-Temperature Resistant
Included in box:
  • 1 TRINITY ALPHA Device
  • 1 TRINITY ALPHA Pod Cartridge
  • 1 0.6ohm NORD Mesh Coil
  • 1 0.8ohm NORD Mesh-MTL Coil
  • 1 MicroUSB Cable
  • 1 Instructional Manual
Picture Album
album

Kit Rundown
The trinity alpha is thin rectangle style AIO (all in one) Pod kit, meaning there isn’t a separate mod or tank that can be used with anything else. It does have replaceable pods so you can carry spares, but those are sold separately and the coils are replaceable and you can reuse the pod like a Breeze 2 or Nord. Design wise it’s very similar to Lost Vape Orion Go. It’s a good size all things considered. There is no adjustable air as well like most pods. Not a big deal but it is cool when pods have adjustable air but not really the standard these days yet so just a bonus when it has that. It has an above average capacity of 2.8ml (also a 2ml EU version for TPD compliant). The battery is listed at 1000mah and it’s an adjustable output device with a soft, normal, and hard mode. It features built in USB charging and they list a charge rate of .7A max. I tested this 3 time with an inline USB meter and for the charge rate it charges at .67A max so excellent rating and good enough for the battery size. It charges full in about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Battery size wise i got 986-1029mah so no complaints there. Pretty damn good ratings on smok’s part for sure. It does have passthrough vaping as well like most (and true passthrough not just pausing) so u can hit it while it’s charging. The drip tip is a standard 510 tip which is awesome and rare to see on a pod system. The included one is a basic black delrin one, but they sell resin versions separate or you can use any of your own. I tried a couple o-ringed 510 tips and they all fit well but most looked a little funny on the device, but i’m sure you can find one that looks good if need be. I love that the tips are standard and replaceable.

The Trinity Alpha is very nicely built, but kind of lightweight as well. Paint wise i have the Prism Chrome which is a shiny chrome body with resin panels on both sides that are a mix of a dark purple-ish color and a light blue. Really nice panels and I think the device lokos excellent and shows no signs of wearing either. No complaints or wearing on the paint. The pods attach to the battery via a clip in system like the orion and are easy to get in and out and fit really well so good job there and fit it nicely with no wiggle or play. To remove the pod just slide back the release lever on top and they pop up for easy removal. To replace the coils they just pop in and out of the bottom of the pod and are held in place by o-rings. The filling is excellent and one of the best i’ve come across in a pod. To fill you don’t need to remove the pod at all as it’s a top fill and the fill cap is a slide back. Usually for attys i prefer a screw off but for a pod system, the slide back is excellent and super easy and exposes 1 large fill hole that can be filled really fast. Very easy to fill.

Usage is pretty easy. It has 2 buttons a fire button on the top and a mode button on the bottom. Click fire 5 times to turn on or off. You can tap the fire button to see the battery charge as well. The mode button tap once to see what mode you are i which are labeled by 3 LEDs a S for soft, a N for normal and a H for hard. When it’s lit up tap mode again to go to the next mode and when it’s on the one you want wait until the light goes out and it locks in that mode. The battery LED is on the bottom of the front above the mode button and bright enough to see good. When vaping or pressing the fire button the color lets you know the battery charge. Green means Full to 70%, Orange means 30-70% and Red means 30% or less. Good enough meter and pretty standard on most pods but a 4th step would be nice but that’s just being nitpicky. The pod is about half exposed off the top and the bottom covered part is clear while the top part is tinted. There is a lesser tinted area as a juice window but it’s still hard to see. I wish they would have made it clear. Also when it gets half full you need to tilt it to see your juice level. I would have preferred a better juice window personally but with the design i get it so my only complaint is that they shouldn’t have tinted a section that sticks out.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Coil Performance and details
The Smok Trinity Alpha Pod Kit comes with 1 Pod but 2 coils which is great. All kits should always include 2 coils/pods. There are 4 coil options for this kit and it uses the same coils as the nord which i previously reviewed. With the nord it came with a 1.4 ohm (non ceramic) and the .6 ohm mesh. The TA comes with the same .6 mesh but also a new .8 MTL mesh option. So now i’ve got to try them all except the 1.4 ohm ceramic which i haven’t heard much good about anyway. I used all 50/50 and 60/40 nic salt juices 20-25 mg nicotine. I’ll start by going over the .6 ohm coil. Flavor is great and it’s a tier 1, some of the best flavor you can get form a pod system. It’s more of a RDTL vape than a MTL vape though and it works best on high but also pretty good on medium. The low setting doesn't suit this coil though. Coil life wise i got about 21mls of juice through it before it burned out so really good coil life. I looked back at my review of the nord and got 30ml on the 1st one so consistently over 20ml on these coils form what i measured. I’ve also purchased more of these between these 2 reviews and used a couple in the nord and didn’t keep track of coil life for those 2 i used but they also seemed to have lasted long as well. Now to the .8 ohm MTL mesh coil. Again tier 1 flavor and really good flavor. Not as good as the .6 ohm but not far off. This one isn’t really MTL either but some may consider it a loose MTL vape while some a really restricted DTL vape. Kind of in that gray area. It worked well on all 3 power modes too. I prefered it on medium or high personally. It lasted me about 12ml so not as good as the .6 life wise, but more than acceptable for what i look for in a pod system. Overall great flavor and good draw if you don’t want a tight MTL and great coil life and consistency.

Pros:
  • color options (6 total)
  • Above Average 2.8 ml capacity
  • Good build quality on battery
  • nice resin panels
  • good size for easy portability
  • good ratings for battery size and charge rate
  • charges fast enough (about 1 hour and 45 mins)
  • great flavor for a pod system
  • pods are easy to remove and install as are coils
  • reusable pod (just replace coil)
  • easy to fill (one of the best fill method in a pod)
  • Passthrough Vaping
  • led is easy to see for battery meter
  • excellent battery life
  • good enough battery meter
  • great coil life
  • comes with 2 coils
  • 4 coil options
  • adjustable output
  • standard replaceable 510 drip tip
Cons:
  • juice window tinted too dark
  • an extra step in the battery meter would be nice
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this POD kit or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, and this one i have to lean towards the yes pretty heavily. Honestly my cons are pretty ticky-tack and there really isn’t anything i can find wrong with this device. Everything works as it should. They got the most important part right which is the coil life and flavor. I reviewed the similar and more popular orion go pod a while back and smok basically made a better version of it then lost vape put out. It may not have as much features as the orion go, but it’s simple, adjustable, and the coils are much better. It’s easily one of the best on the market and well worth taking a look at, and like a few others i’ve really enjoyed, I’ve already ordered more coils for it when i was done with the nord review since they use the same coils. I added this to my spreadsheet of recs which is linked below, feel free to check that out if you are in the market for anything.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from elementvape

Product Link
here

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done over 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really cannot imagine myself as a pod guy at all, but eightvape has this kit for 24 bucks. I might actually try it out.

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I really cannot imagine myself as a pod guy at all, but eightvape has this kit for 24 bucks. I might actually try it out.
i'm not much of a pod guy either, but i will admit i find them convenient at times

VU Sponsors