Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Uwell Caliburn Pod Kit Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Uwell Caliburn Pod Kit, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links. Note this is not marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The Uwell Caliburn Pod kit is the latest and i’m pretty sure the first, Pod Kit from popular vape manufacturer Uwell. They’ve done a really good job with tanks over the past 2-3 years (save for the valyrian) and even made a nice kit with the nunchaku kit but have been popular since the original crown which i always thought was overrated. The Caliburn is a simple tall skinny “JUUL” style AIO Pod with refillable pods and a built in 520mah battery and is inhale and button press to fire. It’s available in 6 colors Iris Purple, Grey, Black, Red, Pink, and Blue. Elementvape has them in stock in the USA all colors for 37.95 and replacement pods for 13.95 for a 4 pack so good price point as well.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Dimensions - 110mm by 21.2mm by 11.6mm
  • Removable 520mAh Rechargeable Battery
  • Wattage Output Range: 11W
  • Voltage Output Range: 3.2-4.0V
  • Direct Voltage Based Output
  • Resistance Range: 1.2-1.5ohm
  • Dual Firing Mechanism - Draw Activated or Button Activated
  • Aluminium-Alloy Chassis Construction
  • LED Battery Life Indicator Light
  • Side Mounted Airflow Holes on Each Side
  • 2mL Capacity Juice Pods
  • 1.4ohm Pod Coil Resistance
  • Pro-FOCS Flavor Technology
  • Top Fill System - Drip Tip Doubles as Fill Port Cover
  • 3.5mm Fill Port - Dual Ports
  • Minimum Fill Line on Pod
  • Proprietary Gold-Plated Magnetic Snap-In Connection
  • Draw-Activated Mechanism Fault Diagnosis
  • Short-Circuit Protection
  • Low Power Alert
  • 10 Second Cut Off Protection
  • Available in Iris Purple, Grey, Black, Red, Pink, and Blue
Coil/Pod Details (1 option)
  • 2mL Capacity Juice Pods
  • Pod Coil Resistance: 1.4ohm
  • Food Grade Plastic Pod Construction
  • Dual Port Top Fill System - Top Cap Drip Tip
  • Comes in a pack of Four (4)
Included in box:
  • 1 CALIBURN Pod System
  • 2 CALIBURN Pod Cartridge
  • 1 MicroUSB Cable
  • 1 User Manual
Picture Album
album

Kit Rundown
The Caliburn is simple tall skinny stick styled AIO (all in one) Pod kit, meaning there isn’t a separate mod or tank that can be used with anything else. It does have replaceable pods so you can carry spares, but those are sold separately and the coils are built into the pods so you replace the whole pod like a renova zero or innokin EQ. Design wise it’s very similar to a JUUL or a smaller eleaf elven. It’s a really small size all things considered. There is no adjustable air as well like most pods. Not a big deal but it is cool when pods have adjustable air but not really the standard these days yet so just a bonus when it has that. It has a average capacity of 2ml (so TPD compliant). The battery is listed at 520mah and it’s a direct output device and the resistance is 1.4 ohms so it vapes around 11 watts according to uwell but math wise about 7.5-11.5 watts depending on battery charge. It features built in USB charging they surprisingly don’t list a charge rate or time which most do. I tested this 3 time with an inline USB meter and for the charge rate it charges at .84A max so close enough to be rated at 1A but .8A would be more preferred for me and more than good enough for the battery size. It charges full in about 41-42 minutes. Battery size wise i got 483-493mah so no complaints there. Nothing way overstated from what they list it as, which is all i’m looking for so good ratings. It does have passthrough vaping as well like most so u can hit it while it’s charging. The drip tip is proprietary and part of the pod itself but is removable to fill which i’ll explain in a bit.

The Caliburn is very nicely built, but very lightweight as well. Paint wise i have the Iris Purple which is a matte body with a blue bottom and pink top that fades together with a purple middle. I think it looks nice and shows no signs of wearing either but i’m sure some would prefer a more basic solid color which they have as well. No complaints or wearing on the paint. The pods attach to the battery via a magnet system and are easy to get in and out and fit really well so good job there and fit it nicely with no wiggle or play. To remove the pod just pull it out. The filling is excellent and the best i’ve come across in a pod. To fill remove the pod then just pop off the drip tip which is easy to do and it exposes 2 large fill holes, more thea big enough to fit a fine tooth bottle in the hole and fill easily and it has an air outlet hole. Then when full just pop the drip tip back on. Very easy to fill.

Usage is pretty easy. It’s a inhale to fire device but also has a fire button so you have both options. Personally never understood that but if the air sensor was to die i could see it being useful. I used it as an inhale to fire mostly. There are no modes or settings but you can click fire 5 times to turn it on and off to pocket. I had no issues with the air sensor at all or misfires. The LED is on the middle of the front below the fire button and bright enough to see but not really when vaping. U can tap fire to light it up to see your charge though. When vaping or pressing the fire button the color lets you know the battery charge. Green means Full to 60%, Blue means 30-60% and Red means 30% or less. Good enough meter and pretty standard on most pods but a 4th step would be nice but that’s just being nitpicky. The pod is covered but it’s also clear and there are juice windows cut out on each side so it’s easy to see your juice level. The windows could be a little bigger but again i’m being nitpicky. It’s also easy to pop it out and look. 2 of my biggest complaints about juice visibility is dark tint and no juice window and this device didn’t make those mistakes so i got to give them credit there.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Coil Performance and details
The Uwell Caliburn Pod Kit comes with 2 Pods which is great. All kits should always include 2 coils/pods. There is only 1 coil option which is a 1.4 ohm coil. No specs on wire material or wick though. I sued both included pods. I used all 50/50 and 60/40 nic salt juices 20-25 mg nicotine. The draw is a solid MTL. it’s not super tight but not too loose. A little tighter then most of the pods i’ve tried. Flavorwise it’s got great flavor. It’s a tier 2 flavor to start but after about ½ to ¾ of a pod breaks in and has tier one flavor as in some of the best flavor a pod can offer these days. It also handled chain vaping just fine and the low watts means it doesn't use much juice. Coil life wise was pretty impressive. For a device like this, i usually look for 10ml as a minimum requirement and anything over that is a bonus. For my 1st coil i ran 28ml through it and it didn’t die still and even some coil killers like jam monster were in that and the coil refused to die so i gave up there to see if the other coil would be as good or a dud. The other coil i ran 20ml through it and it’s still working perfectly fine so yeah very impressed with the coil life. Overall great flavor and good draw and great coil life and consistency.

Pros:
  • color options (6 total)
  • Average 2 ml capacity
  • Good build quality on battery
  • nice simple looks
  • good size for easy portability
  • good ratings for battery size
  • charges fast enough (under 45 mins)
  • great flavor for a pod system
  • pods are easy to remove and install
  • easy to fill (one of the best fill method in a pod)
  • Passthrough Vaping
  • led is easy to see for battery meter
  • inhale to fire worked good
  • good enough battery life
  • clear pods and juice window
  • good enough battery meter
  • great coil life
  • comes with 2 pods
Cons:
  • juice window could be a little bigger i guess
  • an extra step in the battery meter would be nice
  • they should list the charge rate
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this POD kit or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, and this one i have to lean towards the yes pretty heavily. Honestly my cons are pretty ticky-tack and there really isn’t anything i can find wrong with this device. Everything works as it should. They got the most important part right which is the coil life and flavor. They also handled most complaints i’ve had with others like tinted pods, filling method, hard to remove pods, no juice windows etc. It’s pretty rare i say this (for anyone who follows my reviews) but i have to give it a hype met. Now mind you is it by and far the best pod system on the market as people claim? No it’s not, but it’s easily one of the best on the market and well worth taking a look at, and like a few others i’ve really enjoyed, i’m gonna buy some replacement pods for mine. I added this to my spreadsheet of recs which is linked below, feel free to check that out if you are in the market for anything.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from elementvape

Product Link
here

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done over 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors