Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Uwell Nunchaku Kit Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Uwell Nunchaku kit. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links

Introduction:
The Uwell Nunchaku Kit is a new mod and tank combo from long time atomizer maker Uwell, most famous for their crown series of tanks and coils that don’t work well in temp control despite being labeled as SS316. The Nunchaku Kit however aims to fill a much needed niche that many mod makers have ignored, and that is a regulated tube mod kit with matching tank. I can’t think of the last one that was made, and the only other regulated tube mods i can think of in recent history was the ehpro 101 and of course the very expensive Dicodes mods. It’s an 80 watt regulated tube mod, that comes with a 5ml capacity sub ohm tank to match. It’s available in 7 colors, green, SS, black and gold, full black, sapphire blue, purple, and iridescent (rainbow).

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Tank Capacity: 5 ml
  • Material: stainless steel & quartz glass & copper & silicone
  • Power range: 5-80W
  • A new generation of E-cigarette control panel by our independent R&D, makes the tube as safe as a box mod.
  • Multiple work modes: power mode, TC mode(NI,SS), bypass mode.
  • Replaceable 18650 battery, or charge over USB.
  • Plug-pull coils, easy to replace.
  • mod size 27.4mm diameter 94.5mm tall (510 platform is 25.2 to match the tank)
  • tank size 25.2mm diameter 49.6mm tall (including drip tip)
Included in box:
  • 1×NUNCHAKU mod
  • 1×NUNCHAKU atomizer
  • 1×Extra quartz glass
  • 1×0.25Ω coil (installed)
  • 1×0.4Ω coil
  • 1×Pack of replacement O-rings
  • 1×Micro USB cable
  • 1×User's manual
  • 1×Drip tip cover(to cover the drip tip when it is not used)
Coil Options (coils are kanthal clapton coils)
  • .25 ohm 40-50 watts
  • .4 ohm 45-55 watts
Pictures and test results
Chart:

U8MSRbg.png

Spreadsheet:

U9nBJQ8.png

Size comparisons

8fhpZMl.jpg

xFYSbbi.jpg

E6ABdss.jpg

pYyyZ6C.jpg

2BIXiNJ.jpg

qADvsB2.jpg

Handcheck:

7DIZdLJ.jpg

JpUWxF4.jpg

Battery Tray

ovHee8e.jpg

Tank Fill Hole

oGABCw5.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this kit, i was pretty impressed with the looks. I’ve used plenty of tube mechs, but it’s been a long time since i used a regulated tube mod. IIRC about 6 years ago with the joyetech evic that had an 11 watt limit. I barely used it because it wasn’t as powerful as my mechs and MTL vaping wasn’t enough to get me off chewing tobacco. Of course this is 2018 now so the Nunchaku has power with it’s 80 watt limit. The tank itself is very nice looking as well and the matching colors really gives the whole set up a nice look. The coils are also made to match the power of the mod with the ratings being between 40-55 watts. It’s not a heavy kit but it feels solid.

Watt Mode Performance
Let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. Testing resistances were done at .11 , .16, .2, and .52 ohms. wattage points were max (80), 60, 40, and 20. At .11 ohms it maxed out at 79 watts and 27 amps. For the rest of the testing it was within 2 watts or on point At .16 it maxed out at 80 watts. It was never off by more then 2 the rest of the way. For the .2 test it maxed out at 80 watts. the rest were never off by more than 2. For the .52 testing it maxed out at 82 watts and 6.522 volts. The rest of the testing it was never off by more than 2 watts. The volts shows there is a boost circuit in this mod.

Overall I was pretty impressed with the performance of this mod. There was 16 test points each ran 5 times for a total of 80 tests, out of those 80, 45 were on point, 25 were only 2 watts off, and 10 were only 1 watt off. At no point and time was this mod ever off by more than that. They list the volt limit at 7, I would have needed to use a higher resistance to reach it since i was limited by the watt but the 6.522 i got shows that it’s likely and proves that the mod has a boost circuit. The amp limit i got was 27 but again could be higher as i would need a lower resistance in order to get lower. I consider this mod to be very accurately rated and you absolutely get your full 80 watts all the way from a .11 to .52 ohm resistance at minimum so i’m quite impressed.

Simplified TL:DR Performance summary
Mod performance is excellent. Accurately rated. Accuracy is impressive, most of the time dead on and worse case within a watt or 2 of the setting. Full 80 watts available for resistances of .11 to .52 at minimum. 6.522+ volts so yes boost circuit like most single battery mods

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire with the default SS mode (there is no TCR modes or adjustments) , I tested 4 builds a single round spaced, a dual round spaced, and 2 fancy single coils. There is no power adjustment on this mod in temp control mode, it’s always at 60 watts. Overall the mod doens’t perform well in temp control at all. You pretty much won’t get any vaper at all until you go over 500F. It took me going all the way 580F to get a decent warm vape. Even at 600F the max, it’ still barely a warm vape. There is good dry hit protection but that’s about the only good thing i can say about it. It also throttles back a bit harder than it should. You can never really get a nice smooth vape in temp control so it’s a fail there.

Other Usage Notes
The mod uses the rare tube style body you don’t see in regulated mods these days. I’m assuming that will be the main draw of this device. It can handle 25mm atomizers without overhang (the 510 platform is 25.2mm wide to match the nunchaku tank) . The threading on the battery cap is great. To install the battery you just unscrew the bottom cap which has knurling on it for grip and slide the battery in, then screw the cap back on. The mod itself is built solid. There is minor button rattle on the plus and minus buttons, none on the fire button. It features a small screen on the front that shows your resistance, battery level, power setting, and love voltage. In temp mode the live voltage is removed in exchange for the temp setting. The fire button is a hexagon shaped button and nice and clicky. The 510 appears to be pretty good. I didn’t take it apart but i used 5 atomizers on it and none gave me any issues and they all sat flush. Completely anecdotal battery life comment incoming, with a fully charged VTC5A battery, at 45 watts, I can vape exactly 2 tank fulls of the nunchaku tank (10ml juice)

Usage is simple. 5 clicks to turn it on or off. 3 clicks to enter the menu and up and down to navigate. Really easy to use. There is also a bypass mode and a factory reset option.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Nunchaku Tank
Lets talk about the Nunchaku tank now. It’s a triple bottom airflow tank. The tank itself is beautiful I have the purple matching one obviously. The quality is excellent all the threading is smooth. It uses a standard 510 drip tip however i felt there was a missed opportunity to use a crown 3 style matching tip, instead of a plain black delrin one, and has bottom airflow with nice knurling so it’s easy to adjust. The fill method is like the crown 2 with 1 fill hole you access by unscrewing the top cap. It uses a pop in coil system like the crown 3 as well and needs the tank to be empty to swap them out. No threading on the coils at all. Just o-rings that pop them into place. They also go in and out pretty easily. I found it best to push them out from the top personally using a small pair of pliers (access is under the drip tip) but you can also pull them out by hand from the bottom

As far as coils go, they aren’t cross compatible with any tanks i’m aware of. There are 2 options a .25 ohm and a .4 ohm. Both coils are kanthal clapton coils. The .25 ohm says best 40 to 50 watts. The .4 ohm says best 45-55 watts. The .25 ohm coil i personally found best around 45 watts but it was still good at 40 and 50 as well. It’s accurately rated and the flavor is excellent. The .4 coil I found best at 50 watts, but it's usable in the 45-55 range. Flavor was also really good, but i liked the .25 one a bit better personally. I ran 200 ml of juice through each coil. The .25 was still like new. The .4 started losing flavor around the 180 ml mark but it’s still vapable just not as good as it was. I used 70/30 80/20 and max VG juices with both coils with no issues. Overall the coils are accurately rated and have very good life. Flavor wise, it’s one of the top 2 tanks for flavor at 50 watts or less in my opinion. Right up there with the Freemax Firelord. There is no RBA deck option available for this tank i’m aware of though.

Overall great tank with great coils and great flavor. Not much bad to say about it at all.

Pros Mod:
  • Power performance is very impressive
  • accurately rated
  • Build Quality
  • Nice looks and coloring
  • color options
  • handles 25mm atomizers
  • Small Portable Design
  • easy to use
  • nice threading on the battery door
  • price point
  • fills a much needed niche of regulated tube mod
Cons Mod:
  • Screen is a bit small
  • Temp control performance
  • Minor Button Rattle
Pros Tank:
  • Coil Life
  • Excellent flavor for 50 watt or less vaping
  • Build Quality and threading
  • color options
  • Standard 510 Drip Tip
  • Large Capacity (5ml)
  • easy pop in pop out coils
  • easy to adjust airflow
  • large enough fill hole
  • price point
Cons Tank:
  • No RBA deck available
  • Using a crown 3 style matching drip tip would have been nice
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit or not? I don’t do the hard yes or no thing, with the mod if you want it for temp control, it’ll be a no. However for a power driver it leans heavy towards the yes. Very impressive performance plus it’s one of only 2 regulated affordable tube mods to come out in the past year so if that’s what you are looking for and don’t want to drop a ton of money on the dicodes, this is easily the one to pick. As far as the tank goes, it leans heavy towards the yes as well. This and the firelord are the 2 best flavor tanks for 50 or less watt vaping. As a kit it’s pretty heavy towards the yes as well. It’s an excellent lower watt setup in a rare form factor that looks great, performs great, and is easy to carry around. I’ll be adding the tank to my sheet, as well as the mod for power mode usage.

This is Anthony vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say you are doing the same. Remember we are a community so be kind and treat each other with respect and be helpful to new vapers. We have enough outside sources attacking the community and vaping, we don't need to be fighting with each other as well. I'll catch you on my next review, and thanks for reading!

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Element Vape

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. There is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small percent failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I decided to add this disclaimer in as i feel it’s important for people to know their source of the review. I’ve been vaping since late 2011. I’ve vaped all the styles from MTL to RLH to DTL. tanks, RTAs, RDAs, you name it. I do prefer the DTL and RLH style over MTL personally. My main focus from an atomizer is flavor. For mods i’ve used mechs and regulated mods. I’m an avid temp control vaper but enjoy power mode as well and the occasion mech useage for nostalgia. I’ve been doing reviews since late 2016. As of Jan 2018 I’ve done over 100 written reviews and done over 150 video reviews on my channel, Although i’ve taken a break from videos in the past few months to focus on written reviews.

I spend a lot of time helping vapers on forums as well and try to answer all the questions and comments on my reviews. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested. At times if needed i’ll disassemble them as well. Rebuildables get multiple builds in them. Tanks i use all coils until the die or a minimum of 2 weeks if they don’t die sooner. I do this for the community to help people find good products and avoid bad ones. In my opinion a reviewer works for the community and nobody else. It’s our job to inform vapers of issues and not be advertisers as well as provide constructive criticism from a place of knowledge back to companies with these reviews so they can improve and make better products in the future.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nunchaku Tank
Lets talk about the Nunchaku tank now. It’s a triple bottom airflow tank. The tank itself is beautiful I have the purple matching one obviously. The quality is excellent all the threading is smooth. It uses a standard 510 drip tip however i felt there was a missed opportunity to use a crown 3 style matching tip, instead of a plain black delrin one, and has bottom airflow with nice knurling so it’s easy to adjust. The fill method is like the crown 2 with 1 fill hole you access by unscrewing the top cap. It uses a pop in coil system like the crown 3 as well and needs the tank to be empty to swap them out. No threading on the coils at all. Just o-rings that pop them into place. They also go in and out pretty easily. I found it best to push them out from the top personally using a small pair of pliers (access is under the drip tip) but you can also pull them out by hand from the bottom

As far as coils go, they aren’t cross compatible with any tanks i’m aware of. There are 2 options a .25 ohm and a .4 ohm. Both coils are kanthal clapton coils. The .25 ohm says best 40 to 50 watts. The .4 ohm says best 45-55 watts. The .25 ohm coil i personally found best around 45 watts but it was still good at 40 and 50 as well. It’s accurately rated and the flavor is excellent. The .4 coil I found best at 50 watts, but it's usable in the 45-55 range. Flavor was also really good, but i liked the .25 one a bit better personally. I ran 200 ml of juice through each coil. The .25 was still like new. The .4 started losing flavor around the 180 ml mark but it’s still vapable just not as good as it was. I used 70/30 80/20 and max VG juices with both coils with no issues. Overall the coils are accurately rated and have very good life. Flavor wise, it’s one of the top 2 tanks for flavor at 50 watts or less in my opinion. Right up there with the Freemax Firelord. There is no RBA deck option available for this tank i’m aware of though.

Overall great tank with great coils and great flavor. Not much bad to say about it at all.

Pros Mod:
  • Power performance is very impressive
  • accurately rated
  • Build Quality
  • color options
  • handles 25mm atomizers
  • Small Portable Design
  • easy to use
  • nice threading on the battery door
  • price point
  • fills a much needed niche of regulated tube mod
Cons Mod:
  • Screen is a bit small
  • Temp control performance
  • Minor Button Rattle
Pros Tank:
  • Coil Life
  • Excellent flavor for 50 watt or less vaping
  • Build Quality and threading
  • color options
  • Standard 510 Drip Tip
  • Large Capacity (5ml)
  • easy pop in pop out coils
  • easy to adjust airflow
  • large enough fill hole
  • price point
Cons Tank:
  • No RBA deck available
  • Using a crown 3 style matching drip tip would have been nice
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit or not? I don’t do the hard yes or no thing, with the mod if you want it for temp control, it’ll be a no. However for a power driver it leans heavy towards the yes. Very impressive performance plus it’s one of only 2 regulated affordable tube mods to come out in the past year so if that’s what you are looking for and don’t want to drop a ton of money on the dicodes, this is easily the one to pick. As far as the tank goes, it leans heavy towards the yes as well. This and the firelord are the 2 best flavor tanks for 50 or less watt vaping. As a kit it’s pretty heavy towards the yes as well. It’s an excellent lower watt setup in a rare form factor that looks great, performs great, and is easy to carry around. I’ll be adding the tank to my sheet, as well as the mod for power mode usage.

This is Anthony vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say you are doing the same. Remember we are a community so be kind and treat each other with respect and be helpful to new vapers. We have enough outside sources attacking the community and vaping, we don't need to be fighting with each other as well. I'll catch you on my next review, and thanks for reading!

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Element Vape

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. There is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small percent failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I decided to add this disclaimer in as i feel it’s important for people to know their source of the review. I’ve been vaping since late 2011. I’ve vaped all the styles from MTL to RLH to DTL. tanks, RTAs, RDAs, you name it. I do prefer the DTL and RLH style over MTL personally. My main focus from an atomizer is flavor. For mods i’ve used mechs and regulated mods. I’m an avid temp control vaper but enjoy power mode as well and the occasion mech useage for nostalgia. I’ve been doing reviews since late 2016. As of Jan 2018 I’ve done over 100 written reviews and done over 150 video reviews on my channel, Although i’ve taken a break from videos in the past few months to focus on written reviews.

I spend a lot of time helping vapers on forums as well and try to answer all the questions and comments on my reviews. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested. At times if needed i’ll disassemble them as well. Rebuildables get multiple builds in them. Tanks i use all coils until the die or a minimum of 2 weeks if they don’t die sooner. I do this for the community to help people find good products and avoid bad ones. In my opinion a reviewer works for the community and nobody else. It’s our job to inform vapers of issues and not be advertisers as well as provide constructive criticism from a place of knowledge back to companies with these reviews so they can improve and make better products in the future.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

I find it amazing that companies still manage to bungle TC... Otherwise sounds like a good mod. Nice review, thanks for posting.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I find it amazing that companies still manage to bungle TC... Otherwise sounds like a good mod. Nice review, thanks for posting.
yeah it's really odd for sure. I mean thankfully there are more affordable options out there that do work, It used to be pretty much just DNA/SX mini. at least now it's about a 50/50 split but still odd it's not more like 90% at this point. I just think most companies don't really care enough or see it as a used mode enough and just want to have a box to check on the feature list.

also thanks!

juicyjoose215

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think the mod is really cool looking and I live the plug in coils that come with the atty. but the price tag in that thing is Ridic! No friggin way will I be purchasing that for more then 40 dollars all together

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the mod is really cool looking and I live the plug in coils that come with the atty. but the price tag in that thing is Ridic! No friggin way will I be purchasing that for more then 40 dollars all together
I bought one as a gift for a friend and it's been an excellent rig for her.

As for the cost, you get what you pay for.

juicyjoose215

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I feel like you can get such better high quality mods for that price... I mean that nunchuck don’t even go past 80 Watts

juicyjoose215

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If the price goes down a bit I am definitely gonna grab it . But I’m not really interested in the atty because I don’t buy coils

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the price goes down a bit I am definitely gonna grab it . But I’m not really interested in the atty because I don’t buy coils
Neither do I, but then the entire setup isn't designed for where I'm at. The setup is designed mostly for the entry level/beginner which IMO it does so very well. It's well designed, well made and performs well for a single battery Mod.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
40 seems really cheap. especially since tanks like that are 25-30 bucks by themselves. you think the mod is only worth 10-15 dollars?

I feel like you can get such better high quality mods for that price... I mean that nunchuck don’t even go past 80 Watts
Not really, I mean there are some good high quality mods for 40-50 bucks but that is without a tank. there also isn't any regulated tube mods that do 80 watts outside of the dicodes which cost 200+ dollars so I feel the price is pretty fair for what you get.
I bought one as a gift for a friend and it's been an excellent rig for her.

As for the cost, you get what you pay for.
very well said

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It have an old regulated tube mod. I got it out of a clearance bin for five bucks. It goes up to 20 whole watts :D. There's no up down buttons. You tilt it and the watts setting goes up and down....cuz of gravity lol.
d13a21a51e88c4bfe26ab6caf9141ad6.png

I think the Nunchuku is over priced too in U.S. stores. 80 bucks online, I can't even imagine what a b&m would charge. Over a hundred?

I'm guessing Uwell thinks they can set the price high because its almost a one of a kind type deal, like Anthony said. Nobody is making these anymore.

Great review by the way as always :).

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It have an old regulated tube mod. I got it out of a clearance bin for five bucks. It goes up to 20 whole watts :D. There's no up down buttons. You tilt it and the watts setting goes up and down....cuz of gravity lol.
d13a21a51e88c4bfe26ab6caf9141ad6.png

I think the Nunchuku is over priced too in U.S. stores. 80 bucks online, I can't even imagine what a b&m would charge. Over a hundred?

I'm guessing Uwell thinks they can set the price high because its almost a one of a kind type deal, like Anthony said. Nobody is making these anymore.

Great review by the way as always :).
thanks! and yeah when the demand is high and supply is low, you can price accordingly. I'm sure their margins are great but until another company can match their mod, they have no competition. also FWIW element vape sold out before I even finished my review on it, so yeah they are selling like crazy at that price. the onyl other one to come out in the past 18 months for less then 100 bucks was the ehpro 101

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
dam nice deal

Yea being eyeing it for a while, reminds me of the old school mods we use to use, but the price was to high for the full kit, and as I am a MTL vaper, would have no use for the tank, so when got email from eightvape for the mod only at that price, had to jump on it, oh and had a $5 reward from them too :D

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea being eyeing it for a while, reminds me of the old school mods we use to use, but the price was to high for the full kit, and as I am a MTL vaper, would have no use for the tank, so when got email from eightvape for the mod only at that price, had to jump on it, oh and had a $5 reward from them too :D
It's a nicely made single battery mod, hell if I was still into regulated mod's I'd pick one up myself. The one I got for my friend I set it up for her and was impressed. So far she's had it for a few weeks and it's doing well.

I ordered the kit for $45 this weekend, I've been looking at it since it came out and the sale finally hooked me. I do own 2 of the tanks. I'm a lower wattage vaper and these tanks are just incredible for that. The flavor is by far the best I've had in the over 4 years I've been vaping! The coils perform well and last longer than the other coils I've used. Somehow, when changing flavors, its able to make the switch seamlessly! It's also something to note that these are CNC machined and that's reflected in the amazing quality, beautiful stamping and design and smooth threading. Of course it cost more than some mods out there, especially single battery mods, but you're paying for that extra quality and durability. I will definitely be buying another!

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I ordered the kit for $45 this weekend, I've been looking at it since it came out and the sale finally hooked me. I do own 2 of the tanks. I'm a lower wattage vaper and these tanks are just incredible for that. The flavor is by far the best I've had in the over 4 years I've been vaping! The coils perform well and last longer than the other coils I've used. Somehow, when changing flavors, its able to make the switch seamlessly! It's also something to note that these are CNC machined and that's reflected in the amazing quality, beautiful stamping and design and smooth threading. Of course it cost more than some mods out there, especially single battery mods, but you're paying for that extra quality and durability. I will definitely be buying another!
glad you like it!

VU Sponsors