Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Vapefly Horus RTA Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Vapefly Horus RTA. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links

Introduction:
The Horus RTA is one of the latest RTAs from underrated company Vapefly. For the past year they have been making some really great atomizers but with little fanfare. From the nicolas, fantasy mini, fantasy, and more recently the galaxies MTL RTA all really good atomizers. I also have the galaxies RTA and wormhole RDA in my queue as well, but for now, let's see if the horus can live up to the vapefly product line. The name Horus comes from the Greek god of the sky, It’s a single coil, 25mm RTA with a top airflow channeled down as side and bottom airflow for flavor and leak resistance. Similar to the Geekvape Zeus and Kaees Solomon 2. It has a 4ml capacity but also available in 2ml TPD version as well. It’s available in 4 colors, Black, SS, gunmetal, and gold.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Material:Stainless steel + glass
  • Drip tip material:resin
  • Colors:Black,Stainless steel,Gunmetal,Gold
  • Height:49.7mm
  • Diameter:25mm
  • Building deck /510 pin:24k gold plated
  • Coil rebuildable:single coil building
  • Capacity:4.0ml
  • Comes with 810 resin drip tip and 510 drip adapter
  • Pierced design to avoid heat
Included in box:
  • Horus RTA
  • 4ML glass tank
  • 510 adapter
  • Screw driver
  • Cotton
  • 2 Coils
  • Allen key
  • Spare O-rings & screws
Pictures Album:
https://imgur.com/a/wGhzK2P

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this RTA I felt it was following the recent trend of top airflow channeled down RTAs. It started with the Geekvape Zeus, then there was the Kaees Solomon 2, and now the Vapefly Horus RTA. there was also a couple of dual coil ones like the Digiflavor Themis and Geekvape Zeus Dual. So definitely a trend in vaping right now. Plus the OBS engine 2 on the way. Either way though, it reminded me a lot of the Zeus RTA. it has the metal cage inside with the eye of horus on it. The top airflow channeled down and single coil. It also has some other cool things to it. They use a gold plated Build Deck and 510 pin. They also include a resin 810 drip tip as well as a 510 adapter so you can use any of your own tips as well. I was pretty impressed with this from the start.

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s a 2 post one hole per post single coil deck with the holes being full cutout from the side. It’s similar to the Kaees Solomon 2 but with a couple differences. For the Kaees, it felt like one cutout was backwards where with the Horus they are done right. However the Kaees has the deck staggered and the Horus doesn't. A staggered deck would have been nice, but outside of that it’s a very easy deck to build to accommodate any kind of wire. The post screws are excellent as well and come standard with a pair of flat head grub screws pre-installed and a spare set of flat head grub screws as well. They also have 2 sets of hex grub screws so love the options. The whole build deck is gold plated and just looks great as well. Very easy to build and just works great so very happy overall with it

Wicking on this one is also extremely easy. There is 2 full cutouts on the side, just drop your wick ends in them and make sure they are fluffy with room and not too tight but it’s not very finicky at all, it doesn't have to be perfect by any means. It’s a GTA style with raised deck and wcks very well with no floods or leaks

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a single coil RTA only. I ran 4 builds in this. The 2 above which are fancy builds a 3rd fancy build and a larger 24G SS round wire build. All Builds 3mm-4mm ID. There is plenty of room to build and i found due to the large amount of air, bigger is better. I’d suggest going with the 4mm ID. You could probably squeeze up to a 5mm ID if you wanted to but not necessary. For the air, its DTL for sure and very airy. So airy that even with my larger builds i still closed off the air halfway. I wouldn't recommend this for builds under 40 watts. My best builds were between 50-60 watts so you’ll want to build big and really no way for a good restrictive lung vape. If you like a full DTL vape though and large builds, it does have some really good flavor. Better than the zeus and about the same as the Kaees Solomon 2. Very happy with the performance.

Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
It’s a top airflow channeled to the sides RTA. From the outside there are 2 holes on each side and it’s a lot of air so personally i close one off. The AFC is smooth but free spins and isn’t on a stopper. It’s adjustable easily on the mod as well as off it and has some minor knurling for grip. It has a standard top fill where you unscrew the top cap to expose the 2 large fill holes that can be filled with any type of bottle or even just pour it in. There is no knurling on the top cap but it’s a 3 staged cap for plenty of grip and nice and large. If you over tighten it though it can be hard to get off as all the other stuff you can grip unscrews as well so you might wind up unscrewing the tank itself and not just the top cap. The 3 staged design also prevents the RTA from getting hot, but even without it, it’s not the type to get hot anyway. It’s really smooth threading and great quality threading on the whole RTA. I’ve used 70/30 80/20 and “max VG” juices in it with no issues. There is plenty of room for thick juices. There is also a good amount of accessories that come with it, It comes with a standard 810 resin drip tip (random color). A 510 adapter, a spare glass, 2 coils clearly labeled as ni80 (thank you vapefly for labeling them), cotton, 6 spare post screws (4 hex and 2 flat head) in addition to the 2 flat head screws already installed. An allen wrench, tri-head screwdriver tool, and a spare glass. Everything you will need.

The quality on the Vapefly Horus RTA is excellent. All the threading is really nice and smooth. It’s very easy to take apart. It’s a 25mm diameter RTA with nothing that bulges out. The 4ml capacity is good for a single coil RTA and there is a 2ml TPD version as well that just includes a plug to cut the capacity down to 2ml but can easily be removed (wink wink). There is no JFC and it doesn't need one. It has the raised GTA style deck. I had no leaking or flooding issues and it handled chain vaping pretty good as well. Branding is nice and simple. It just has the eye of horus logo on the metal frame inside the glass. It’s a nice looking RTA. I did some price hunting as well and it seems only available out of china in the price range of 29 to 40 USD. So good price point right in line with most.

Pros:
  • Build Quality
  • Standard 810 Resin Drip tip plus 510 adapter
  • good quality post screws (hex and flat head included)
  • price point (around 29-40 USD)
  • large fill holes
  • great threading
  • nice easy to build and wick deck
  • good 4ml capacity
  • plenty of spare o-rings and post screws
  • gold plated deck and 510 pin
  • good flavor for a top air single coil RTA
  • color options
  • included coils are clearly labeled
  • leak resistant design
Cons:
  • would have liked a staggered deck
  • Needs a large build for good flavor
  • top cap can be hard to get off if you over-tighten
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RTA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, this one is going to lean pretty heavy towards the yes. As far as these top airflow single coil RTAs go, it’s one of the best of a small bunch. If you like big builds and airy RTAs that have the leak resistant design that are easy to build. This one is worth the look. I’ll be adding it to my sheet and between this and the Kaees Solomon 2, i removed the Geekvape Zeus off my list as well as both have surpassed it.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Vapefly

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 200 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors