Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Voopoo MAAT Sub Ohm Tank Review and a Mini Rant

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Voopoo MAAT Sub Ohm Tank. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: this is not marked as a sample

Introduction:
The Voopoo MAAT Sub Ohm Tank is the latest sub ohm tank from somewhat popular vape manufacturer Voopoo. Their Drag models are widely popular especially the original one due to its performance and price point at the time, but since then they have gone downhill a bit and their most recent drag 2 and drag 2 platinum mods were let downs. The alpha zip though was a solid mod and also comes in a kit version with this tank. The MAAT tank stands for “Middle Adjustable Airflow Tank” as they call it, but it’s not middle airflow really and it’s just a slightly raised up bottom airflow. The subohm tank market is kind of dominated these days by freemax and horizontech and uwell so we’ll see if this one can stack up. It’s available in 3 colors Black, SS, and Rainbow. Looking around online i see it on preorder only in the 40 USD range which is a little high these days for a subohm tank.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Dimensions: 56 x 28mm
  • 4.0ml E-liquid Capacity
  • Rotary Top Filling
  • Middle Adjustable Airflow System
  • Triple Bottom Air Holes
  • Convenient Pull-plug Coil Reloading
  • Coil Burnt-out Prevention
  • Brand-new MT Coil System
  • Superior Stainless Steel Construction
  • 510 Threaded
Included in box:
  • 1 x VOOPOO MAAT Tank 4.0ml (2.0ml for EU TPD)
  • 1 x 0.2ohm MT-M2 Coil (Pre-installed)
  • 1 x 0.13ohm MT-M1 Coil
  • 1 x Spare Glass Tube 2.0ml
  • 6 x Sealing O-Ring
  • 1 x User Manual
Coil Options (coils are kanthal unless otherwise stated)
  • 0.13ohm MT-M1 Single Mesh Coil (60 - 85W)
  • 0.2ohm MT-M2 Dual Mesh Coil (50 - 80W)
  • 0.17 ohm MT-M3 triple mesh coil (65 - 85W)
Picture Album
album

Looks and Design
The Voopoo MAAT Sub Ohm Tank is a pretty standard looking sub ohm tank. The only thing that stands out to me as different is the AFC which instead of being round has a octagon-ish shape to it. It comes with a regular glass for 2ml capacity and a bubble glass as well which gives it a 4ml capacity so good to have both options. I have the SS one and the only color contrast is on the drip tip itself which is a black delrin one. Overall though this type of tank is pretty popular these days so nothing stands out really about it. They offer it in 3 colors so decent variety variety.

Features and Functions
The Voopoo MAAT Sub Ohm Tank uses a proprietary drip tip sadly so you can’t use any of your own. It’s one of those ones that go over a stub that sticks out. Ot sure why they went that route and they only include 1 which is a plain black delrin. They should have went with a standard 810 tip and given more then 1 option. The drip tip does fit good though. All the threading on this tank is excellent. It’s a very nicely built tank with good quality. The coil system is a pop in type like the crown tanks. To unscrew the bottom it’s a simple quarter turn to pop it off, then you just have to pull out the coil from the chamber. Works good so no complaints there. Airflow is 3 large holes equally spaced apart on the bottom. It’s plenty of air, easily made for DTL vaping. The AFC is smooth and easy to adjust even on mod thanks to its shape and position and it’s on a stopper. They call it “Middle Adjustable” airflow but it’s really just bottom air that is slightly raised up but it’s nice to stop condensation on mods by doing that. Filling is easy as well, it uses a spring loaded button lock system like the geekvape alpha. You push the button and the top springs back exposing the 1 large fill hole then then just close it when done and it locks shut. It worked great with no issues for me and is very easy to fill. It comes with a standard 4 ml capacity bubble tank and a 2 ml capacity standard tank. I would have liked to see larger capacity though especially on the bubble tank.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Coil Performance
Now to the important stuff. How does it vape? There are 3 coil options in total and no RBA head. It comes with 1 of each a single mesh and double mesh coil. Voopoo also included a separate triple mesh coil for me as well so i used all 3. All coils are KA1 (Kanthal) coils. First one i’ll go over is the MT-M3 .17 ohm triple Mesh coil which is the not included one. It’s rated for 65-85 watts, I found it best in the 75ish watt range. Coil Life wise i only got about 50 mls of juice in it so not terrible but much lower then i expect from such a high watt coil these days. Flavorwise it was ok, average like your typical decent coil makers like smok, eleaf, ijoy, etc. Nothing to write home about but not bad. Next i’ll talk about the MT-M2 coil which is a .2 ohm double mesh rated for 55-80 watts. Again i found it best at 75ish. Flavorwise is was about the same as the triple mesh one but coil life was much better. I got about 80mls of juice through it. So not bad , but not great. Acceptable for sure. Last but not least is the MT-M1 .13 ohm single mesh coil rated for 60-85 watts. I found this best in the 70ish range. All 3 coils are really about the same power range. Life wise it was again solid lasting about 80mls of juice so no complaints there. Flavor wise this was the best of the 3, being above average and pretty similar to the crown 4 mesh coils performance wise. Not a “top tier” one to beat the best tanks, but better then most for sure. It’s competitive flavorwise with the crown 4 at a similar watt range. Overall it’s a average to above average performer depending on the coil and a tank bets used in the 70ish watt range with the single mesh coils.

Mini Rant
Also one more thing to note I wanted to rant about, and i’m going to ding them for that doesn’t have anything to do with the tank, but i recieved their review package on april 10th which included this tank, the alpha zip, and the drag 2 platinum mods. They asked “Could you please post the Maat review on April 12th, and the remainings during 13th-17th April” It seems they are getting more and more ridiculous with their demands. 2 days to use and write a review for a sub ohm tank and less then a week for a mod? Lol they followed up later with “The MAAT Tank with the Drag 2 Platinum should be on or before 15th April” again lol. I think reviewers if they give a damn, need to call out this nonsense more. I bring it up because i personally had to laugh a bit since i did see a review here on the 11th, and 2-3 more on the 15th. Doing this not only diminished the quality of your work it sets unrealistic expectations for reviews from companies and not going to lie it’s a little frustrating. For years now i’ve had to explain to reps (as they change a lot) how crazy their demands are and impossible for a real review to be done in their time frames to get to points where they understand and let me do my thing and not rush me. Then they change reps and i have to start over, so i’m ranting so that other reviewers here, can hopefully listen and not give into their crazy demands so companies get the point of what a review really is and the time it takes.

Pros
  • Build Quality
  • Looks
  • easy to fill
  • No Leaks
  • Color Options (3 total)
  • AFC adjustable easily on mod
  • thread quality
  • bubble tank included
  • average to above average flavor for a sub ohm tank depending on coil
  • 2 out of 3 coils had good coil life
Cons
  • 1 coil had below average coil life out of the 3
  • watt range is pretty much the same on all 3 coils (no variety)
  • no RBA deck option
  • Proprietary Drip tip
  • only 1 plain delrin drip tip
  • low capacity (2 or 4ml)
  • poor advertising tactics/unrealistic review timeline demands form voopoo
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this tank or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, and this was a tough one to call. I’ll have to call it a 50/50. I sure wouldn’t tell people to avoid it by any means, but in the same sense not something i’d run out and get and it is better then what many people are probably vaping right now. I like it as a kit tank a lot. Most of the tanks that come in kits are lackluster. This and the crown 4 are the 2 best tanks i’m aware that come in a kit and i can't vouch for the mod in that kit at all but the MAAT comes with the alpha zip which is a solid mod to use with this tank. That with the MT-M1 coil at around 70 watts is a very good starter kit option so i’d recommend it for people looking to get a kit but the tank itself i wouldn’t run out for personally. I won’t be adding this to my sheet of recs linked below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Voopoo Product link here

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done over 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors