Become a Patron!

Any advice for first mechs for - wait for it - MTL? :)

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Hi guys

So I've been building on regulated mods and squonkers with a variety of wires, tanks and RDAs for well over 8 months now, and feel it's time to take the step into mechs. (I'm well aware of general safety concerns, batteries etc; I have a healthy respect towards mechs and their risks)

I've got a bunch of questions. Feel free to talk me out of it, and save me some money :crazy:

First off, why do I want a mech at all? It's a shinyitis thing, I suppose. There are some stunning mech mods out there, and if we spend lots of dosh on vaping already, we can as well do it in style! :teehee:

Now the actual questions...

1. I am in love with the Lost Vape Furyan squonker. Any reason why I shouldn't get that for a first mech squonker? (I squonk MTL most of the time already, regulated, with Pulse 80w, Therion BF, Inbox 3)

2. I'd like to have a 22-24mm tube mod, too, the smaller the better. "Hard hitting" is obviously not a big concern with MTL, so I don't need a top performer. I'd like reasonably priced suggestions for starters. And it absolutely must have some kind of locking mechanism. Also, it absolutely must not be a hybrid, as I'd like to put a small tank rather than a dripper on it (Hastur Mini, 22mm). Any recommendations?

3. Is there any end to this massive rabbit hole? :crazy: (Okay, you don't need to answer that. Obviously there isnt!)

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started on Mech's for the Nuclear option with all the crap coming down from Government. I discovered they provided a better Vape along with a whole list of other reasons. Bottom line is get a quality Mech (no just because it's expensive doesn't mean quality), insure you do your homework and be proficient with building your own coils. Tubes and single battery Mod's are decent, my favorites are parallel for better performance and more wiggle room.
Here's the basic lecture I give to those looking into Mech's.

1. Ohm's law, http://www.steam-engine.org/ makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android
2. Batteries! you MUST take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!!
a. Avoid garbage batteries like eFest, Imren, MXJO, etc. who re-wrap rejects (or source from other battery manufactures) with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not ebay or amazon) sources, great places to get authentic are from
http://liionwholesale.com/
https://www.imrbatteries.com/
https://www.illumn.com/
b. Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"
c. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook, YouTube and his Blog
d. In Mod's with multiple batteries, marry them.
e. Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.
3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple for example with 20 CDR Amp batteries -
a. Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up
b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery and you can add 1/2 the amp rating of the next battery
c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amp. So a series you build high with a lot of wire, no lower that .4 ohms.
4. Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build or any shorts.
5. Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you put it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front jeans pocket and blow your dick off ya know ;)
6. Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.
a. Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thanks @r055co, I appreciate the "lecture", but as far as safety is concerned I've done my homework. Of course it's very useful to have it written down here nonetheless!

For MTL in the range of 0.7-1.2 Ohms I'm not going to need a parallel mod and am nowhere near the limit of what most batteries can do. I only go with the big 4 manufacturers anyway and avoid the re-wrappers. Safety is never too expensive; not going to try and save what amounts to lose change on batteries.

Any thoughts on my questions 1 and 2, by any chance? (ignore 3) :)

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks @r055co, I appreciate the "lecture", but as far as safety is concerned I've done my homework. Of course it's very useful to have it written down here nonetheless!

For MTL in the range of 0.7-1.2 Ohms I'm not going to need a parallel mod and am nowhere near the limit of what most batteries can do. I only go with the big 4 manufacturers anyway and avoid the re-wrappers. Safety is never too expensive; not going to try and save what amounts to lose change on batteries.

Any thoughts on my questions 1 and 2, by any chance? (ignore 3) :)
No worries, I just insure I always post that for Newb's.

Anyway the Furyan looks like a decent Squonk, I don't own one so I can't comment on it really. My Squonkers are the 2JNT Pilak Dynamo and a Custom Classic Parallel. You might wanna check out the thread here Squonkers are Bonkers and put a feeler out there for it.

As for Tubes a great tube with 510 pin I enjoy is Vaperz Cloud Nimbus, I really dig it. Other one you might look for is a Broadside, that's been a good all around Tube.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you do FaceBook, SatMod is having an order form up and going right now for 18350/500/18650 mods. Additionally there is also the older Gus mods which are still available and of course authentic Nemesis mods direct and plenty of other mechs which utilize 18650s etc... Don't let my new found fascination cloud your choice ;)

upload_2018-8-27_16-52-23.png

Sat Mini 350, 500, satmod 14500, Satmod 18500 x2 (One is engraved) and Satmod 350.

The first 2 have fixed 16mm atty tapers where the adjustment is only via switch, 3rd mod has both the top cap adjustment and switch, rest have separate top caps in hybrid, 20mm and flat 22mm.

The new version in which the group has an order form for, is based upon the 3rd mech in this picture with adjustable top.

which will look like so

upload_2018-8-27_16-56-25.png

and come with caps fixed at 22 flat 20 and I believe it was 18

for MTL I use one similar to the 2nd one pictured above with the 3rd's genesis atty and also a Gus with a doggy rta.

To get an idea of their size...

upload_2018-8-27_17-1-40.png

Both the Gus and new Satmods are about $100 shipped each.

1Ω in the Doggy and 1.47Ω in the In'Ax 16 (Mesh) 4a and less.

As for Squonkers, whatever floats your boat.

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thanks @So619Cal ! Exactly the kind of tube I'm looking for. Not crazy about the looks of the satmods (or going via FB groups), but the Gus website looks promising! Do you know if they come with non-hybrid 510 connector and a locking switch? The website isn't too clear about that.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks @So619Cal ! Exactly the kind of tube I'm looking for. Not crazy about the looks of the satmods (or going via FB groups), but the Gus website looks promising! Do you know if they come with non-hybrid 510 connector and a locking switch? The website isn't too clear about that.

Yes the gus comes with a locking switch and the tops aren't hybrid they are fused 510s (10a fuses)

Gus mods are from Greece, but they have free delivery and get to you in about 5 business days from shipping notification.

If you want the best of both worlds and are liking the gus, grab one of their telescopics... don't need 3000mAh, go 350 mode...need a lil more mAh, go 18650 ;)

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Yes the gus comes with a locking switch and the tops aren't hybrid they are fused 510s (10a fuses)

Gus mods are from Greece, but they have free delivery and get to you in about 5 business days from shipping notification.

If you want the best of both worlds and are liking the gus, grab one of their telescopics... don't need 3000mAh, go 350 mode...need a lil more mAh, go 18650 ;)

Have been digging out some old reviews in the meantime. 4 years old! The mods have not changed at all (apart from some design additions it seems)... the beauty of mechs, I guess. Timeless, as there's no chip in them. :) What I also like about them is that they have virtually every single part available as spares on their site too, should anything need replacing. And the fuses are neat (they have fuses with different ratings availble too). Greece suits me well, as it's in the EU as well.

Like them a lot actually. Thanks again for the pointer!
Anyway, I better sleep on it first :)

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have been digging out some old reviews in the meantime. 4 years old! The mods have not changed at all (apart from some design additions it seems)... the beauty of mechs, I guess. Timeless, as there's no chip in them. :) What I also like about them is that they have virtually every single part available as spares on their site too, should anything need replacing. And the fuses are neat (they have fuses with different ratings availble too). Greece suits me well, as it's in the EU as well.

Even faster delivery for you then... made it to California in 5 business day (7 days I think it was total) and another buddy who ordered one not even 5 days ago will be delivered tomorrow to NY.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ive been dripping nic salts on my mininpred with a B2K on top. But you could use any small 22 mm atomizer like the berserker RDAor the Ammit RDA. minipred.jpg

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You're from across the Pond, here's a source for the Nimbus. I really dig it for a Tube with a 510 pin, all Silver contacts and it' performs very well and easy to maintain/clean
https://www.evolutionvaping.co.uk/nimbus-mod-by-vaperz-cloud.html

Also I got a number of mods from these guys, a number of Authentic Pinoy Mod's for damn cheap because they're clearing them out.

I have this one, it's a very, very good 22mm Tube
https://www.vaporjedi.com/collections/authentic-mech-mods/products/heimdall-copper-black-by-vape-jam

Another Authentic 22mm Tube I got from them that is excellent
https://www.vaporjedi.com/collections/authentic-mech-mods/products/viggo-copper-by-vape-jam

Check them out and the site, they're in Canada and their customer service is great.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I picked up the Viggo and the Kultura for 50 each and few RDAs as well. The Vaporjedi sale is phenomal

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I picked up the Viggo and the Kultura for 50 each and few RDAs as well. The Vaporjedi sale is phenomal
It's not a sale, it's theft ;)

Yeah I picked up a bunch of their Mech's which averaged around $150 off, can't beat that ya know.

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
It's not a sale, it's theft ;)

Yeah I picked up a bunch of their Mech's which averaged around $150 off, can't beat that ya know.

Are they closing down or why do they offer such massive discounts?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are they closing down or why do they offer such massive discounts?
I don't believe so, they're a B&M in a fairly small town in Canada. I did chat with them and ask myself, they said they're clearing out stock that has been sitting around for a long time. What you'll notice is this is gear from back around 2014-2015, the two I listed are great tubes.

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I don't believe so, they're a B&M in a fairly small town in Canada. I did chat with them and ask myself, they said they're clearing out stock that has been sitting around for a long time. What you'll notice is this is gear from back around 2014-2015, the two I listed are great tubes.

Ah that makes sense then... everyone wants the latest shinies, though without any electronics in them doesn't matter really. :)

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I know these guys well. It is just a clear out sale. And they have some nice older RDAs as well. My son picked up two of their wooden phillipine boxes for a low price. These are ridiculously cheap.

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thanks @r055co , @PaulS . Shame that their shipping costs are astronomical. Was about to pull the trigger on the Heimdall. Instead went with the GUS 2.2 now ( thanks @So619Cal ). Even though a bit more expensive, it'll be here within a couple of days, and more importantly parts are readily available and interchangeable between their mods.

The Furyan is in my cart at Fasttech as they've got an offer going (MAP code) and the silver/black version is selling like hotcakes everywhere over here; virtually impossible to get anywhere in the EU right now for a good price.

If for some reason I don't like mechs, I should have no problem to sell on both without much loss :)

Thanks for the pointers and replies guys (HandCheck thread included)!

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Woah, the mech and spare tube are scheduled for delivery tomorrow! Okay okay, I used express service for a fee because I'm an impatient bastard, but didn't expect the GUS guys to get it out of the door so quickly! That'll be a lot of tracker watching while pretending to work :wait:

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
And here she is, my first mech!

GUS 2.2 Black Copper Cerakote with Cthulhu Hastur Mini RTA
Got a sanded metal 18350 spare tube as well, but the batteries for that aren't here yet.

DSC_0053b.JPG

Hi guys

So I've been building on regulated mods and squonkers with a variety of wires, tanks and RDAs for well over 8 months now, and feel it's time to take the step into mechs. (I'm well aware of general safety concerns, batteries etc; I have a healthy respect towards mechs and their risks)

I've got a bunch of questions. Feel free to talk me out of it, and save me some money :crazy:

First off, why do I want a mech at all? It's a shinyitis thing, I suppose. There are some stunning mech mods out there, and if we spend lots of dosh on vaping already, we can as well do it in style! :teehee:

Now the actual questions...

1. I am in love with the Lost Vape Furyan squonker. Any reason why I shouldn't get that for a first mech squonker? (I squonk MTL most of the time already, regulated, with Pulse 80w, Therion BF, Inbox 3)

2. I'd like to have a 22-24mm tube mod, too, the smaller the better. "Hard hitting" is obviously not a big concern with MTL, so I don't need a top performer. I'd like reasonably priced suggestions for starters. And it absolutely must have some kind of locking mechanism. Also, it absolutely must not be a hybrid, as I'd like to put a small tank rather than a dripper on it (Hastur Mini, 22mm). Any recommendations?

3. Is there any end to this massive rabbit hole? :crazy: (Okay, you don't need to answer that. Obviously there isnt!)
Hello my brother, concerning question 1/ as I have not yet used a squonker I would though suggest based on numerous videos online that you get a top feeder as seems much better for a great vaping experience and better monitoring of how much juice is wicking your cotton.
Concerning question 2/ I recommend really the awesome VGOD mech mod, it is robust very well finished, very high quality and a nice feel in the hand too , here is the link: https://officialvgod.com/pro-mech-mod.html / price very reasonable too !

VU Sponsors