Become a Patron!

Any benefits to using single coil instead of dual on an RDA?

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One of the coils on my rda snapped yesterday, so I just removed it. I realized that it worked surprisingly well with just one coil. I only see people using 2+ coils with RDA's, so I don't think single coil builds are that common, are they?

I want to know if there are any substantial benefits to going single coil. So far I like it because I can just tip the RDA to the side with the coil in order to wick it up, and it obviously only takes half the time and materials to rebuild. I'm fairly new to having an RDA, so what is a good beginner single coil build, and what are any possible benefits of it over dual?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One of the coils on my rda snapped yesterday, so I just removed it. I realized that it worked surprisingly well with just one coil. I only see people using 2+ coils with RDA's, so I don't think single coil builds are that common, are they?

I want to know if there are any substantial benefits to going single coil. So far I like it because I can just tip the RDA to the side with the coil in order to wick it up, and it obviously only takes half the time and materials to rebuild. I'm fairly new to having an RDA, so what is a good beginner single coil build, and what are any possible benefits of it over dual?
What kind of the RDA are using?

Vape On

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Removing one of your coils doubled your resistance. The amount of hot metal in contact with juice controls the amount of vape. All things being equal, your RDA should be producing less vape now. There is one advantage, your batteries will last longer, unless your staying on the button twice as long.

VapeRN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Single coil builds are excellent for higher resistance needs, like a series unregulated box. In two post RDAs a fat single coil vertical build is nice for mess free easy dripping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Less juice consumption. Saves on power and doubles ramp-up speed per ohm, both of which can be highly beneficial to mech mods. Alternately, it makes for a more power-efficient vape on low-power regulated devices. It can also improve the wicking performance in cramped tank systems with more limited airflow.

Being able to get away with less airflow can also have interesting effects on flavor. It can allow you to get a warmer flavor vape with a tighter draw at lower power levels. If you don't care about vapor production, need throat hit, and like MTL style vaping or just want to see what its all about, single coils in an old-school, choked-out flavor rda/rta isn't a bad way to go.

Personally, I've never been able to run singles because I can feel the imbalance in the airflow and it throws me off, so I've got nothing for you when it comes to builds that work.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Less juice consumption. Saves on power and doubles ramp-up speed per ohm, both of which can be highly beneficial to mech mods. Alternately, it makes for a more power-efficient vape on low-power regulated devices. It can also improve the wicking performance in cramped tank systems with more limited airflow.

Being able to get away with less airflow can also have interesting effects on flavor. It can allow you to get a warmer flavor vape with a tighter draw at lower power levels. If you don't care about vapor production, need throat hit, and like MTL style vaping or just want to see what its all about, single coils in an old-school, choked-out flavor rda/rta isn't a bad way to go.

Personally, I've never been able to run singles because I can feel the imbalance in the airflow and it throws me off, so I've got nothing for you when it comes to builds that work.
Lowering ohms should speed up ramp time. The amount of watts hitting the coil controls how fast it heats. If Volt(squared)/Resistance = watts it should ramp faster given the same amount of mass. I see now that you said per ohm, which would make sense because you have less mass per ohm.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Removing one of your coils doubled your resistance. The amount of hot metal in contact with juice controls the amount of vape. All things being equal, your RDA should be producing less vape now. There is one advantage, your batteries will last longer, unless your staying on the button twice as long.
I am aware of ohm's law. I am using a beat up IPV4 that someone gave me, and it reads resistance very inaccurately. When I had dual coils on, it would read anywhere between 0.5 and 1 ohm every time I fired it, and with the one coil it reads between 1 and two ohms. It only seems to produce a little less vapor now though, which doesn't matter to me because I go for flavor, not huge clouds.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am aware of ohm's law. I am using a beat up IPV4 that someone gave me, and it reads resistance very inaccurately. When I had dual coils on, it would read anywhere between 0.5 and 1 ohm every time I fired it, and with the one coil it reads between 1 and two ohms. It only seems to produce a little less vapor now though, which doesn't matter to me because I go for flavor, not huge clouds.
That's what's so cool about vaping. There is no right or wrong outside of safety. It's just what you like.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If u want flavor, velocity is not the rda you wanna play with.....the chamber is too big, the chuff cap too big, it's purely VAPOR CHUCKER... So what's the reading now with a single coil?

Vape On

VapeRN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Gonna agree to disagree @ej1024. I think the velocity offers tremendous airflow options for flavor builds. You can shut that airflow down and put a 510 adapter on there for some serious flavor.

My go to Velocity build is smaller dual fused claptons like 2x28/36. Here it is.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454116199.712750.jpg

I run this with the main airflow about 3/4 open and no accessory airflow.

You can easily put a large single coil between the posts for a really nice flavor build with adequate airflow.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Gonna agree to disagree @ej1024. I think the velocity offers tremendous airflow options for flavor builds. You can shut that airflow down and put a 510 adapter on there for some serious flavor.

My go to Velocity build is smaller dual fused claptons like 2x28/36. Here it is.
View attachment 39823

I run this with the main airflow about 3/4 open and no accessory airflow.

You can easily put a large single coil between the posts for a really nice flavor build with adequate airflow.

It's pretty hard to fault the velocity, it has lot a of possibilities for air flow, both direct and indirect. There is room to build about anything you want to put under the hood. It's a pretty solid RDA, for clouds, and flavor.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with everybody, you have to build the VELOCITY the right way to benefit from its features...
I don't think the velocity rda is a good rda for beginners/newbie..op wants to know
What is a perfect single coil build, and that's why I ask
What is the RDA!!
Now we all know he's using the VELOCITY you guys are suppose to suggest a single coil..????
SAY IT HERE...

Here's what I can suggest the OP, buy the MAGMA RDA CLONE, perfect single coil RDA and start from there... 26g kanthal 10 wraps 2-3mm diameter..
Please use safe batteries and preferably REGULATED BOX MOD...

Vape On

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If u want flavor, velocity is not the rda you wanna play with.....the chamber is too big, the chuff cap too big, it's purely VAPOR CHUCKER... So what's the reading now with a single coil?

Vape On
I actually get some great flavor from it. I'm cheap, so I pretty much made a list of RDA's under 15$ on fasttech and both read the reviews for the specific product on the FT site, as well as some youtube reviews. At 10 bucks, and from the youtube video riptrippers did on it (the authentic version) I was sold. I understand it isn't exactly a beginner RDA, but I decided to go with something more advanced I will likely use forever. With the correct airflow setting and coil position I found, it does have great flavor.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Update: I just made a new single coil build that works great for me. I wound up four strands of 32 gauge wire and then wrapped it six times and pressed it. It reads around 1 ohm on my IPV4 (which probably is inaccurate), but it works great. I used 32 gauge because its what I have left from my CE5 days, and I'm too cheap to buy different wire.

chrisjtown33

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I use single coils, I find you get good flavor and use half the juice.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't see why you couldn't single coil the velocity and get great flavor and performance. I love the hell out of mine and is one of my flavor chuckers. Of course there are plenty of single coil option RDAs but that's the great thing; there isn't just one end all be all RDA.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just single coiled my mutation x v3 with a 0.3 22g kanthal. Great flavor on my mech.

VU Sponsors