Any Double or Single Edged Brush and Blade Shavers Here?

Discussion in 'Non-Vaping Related' started by UncleRJ, Aug 9, 2015.

1. joeyboy

joeyboy Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    That's good. I'm just now starting to get in to after shaves.

2. Zamazam

Zamazam Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    The only other one I recommend is Proraso traditional: Witch Hazel, Eucalyptus, and Menthol. Cools down the shaved skin and closes the pores with Witch Hazel.

[​IMG]

3. joeyboy

Blog Posts:
    I am liking the skin food. Menthol doesn't agree with me.

4. UncleRJ

UncleRJ Will write reviews for Beer! Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    Those folks really know their Bay Rum products!

Rocking a puck of their Bay Rum and Orange soap at the moment.

Great way to wake up your nose in the morning!

jmoney426 likes this.
  5. jmoney426

jmoney426 Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    So glad to see this thread revived!

I had probably the best SE shave of my life on Wednesday... I’ve finally figured out how to consistently get a perfect lather (only been wet shaving for a couple years), strop properly, and get all my blade angles down.
    Might be time upgrade from my modded Gold Dollar!

I’m not much for aftershaves especially after my brother-in-law gave me an alum block. I work in hot kitchens so no razor burn when I sweat and no scent is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UncleRJ likes this.
  6. Zamazam

Zamazam Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    for me, Witch Hazel has always been a constant along with an Alum Block. I like both, but Witch Hazel does close up the pores faster than Alum. Alum stops weepers faster, but is limited. Just my 2 cents.

UncleRJ, joeyboy and jmoney426 like this.
  7. joeyboy

Blog Posts:
    8491.jpeg
    Got this the other day, Barrister and Mann. Love it. I ordered the splash today.

8. ej1024

ej1024 VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I missed hank

I BAM

9. Zamazam

Blog Posts:
    yea , me too.....

10. Zamazam

Blog Posts:
    Got the Rockwell Stainless 6S. will try the settings. Gonna be fiun!

UncleRJ and jmoney426 like this.
  11. Beaucoup

Beaucoup New Member

Blog Posts:
    I don't shave but that Witch Hazel is amazing stuff!

12. jmoney426

Blog Posts:
    Anyone hone their straight razors? I’m considering getting some lapping film and a piece of glass with some rubber feet so I can hone my own

13. Zamazam

Blog Posts:
    Better off buying a 10,000 grit Japanese Water Stone. That will put a perfect hone on the blade, followed up with some stropping on a canvas belt and then smooth leather. I have one of the stones, they are worth the money.

When you get to that fine grit, no pressure on the blade, just the weight of the blade skimming the surface as if you are trying to gently make a super thin slice of stone.

14. jmoney426

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the advice, Zam!

15. Zamazam

Blog Posts:
    You are welcome. Since I got seriously into straight razors, I've had to up my honing capability. My Kitchen knives are scary sharp now, like they need to be.

jmoney426 likes this.
  16. jmoney426

Blog Posts:
    I’ve got a VERY vintage Seneca Razor & MFG Co (company started in 1908) made in Geneva, NY that I’m intent on making useable.
    I live about an hour away and was interested to find out that Geneva supplied the majority of the US with straight razors in the first quarter of the 20th century. A little piece of local history in my hands. Gotta love it.

Zamazam and UncleRJ like this.
  17. UncleRJ

UncleRJ Will write reviews for Beer! Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    And you get a firm three thumbs up from me!

18. jmoney426

Blog Posts:
    I’ll make sure to post pics once it’s done. It’ll be a while though!

Zamazam and UncleRJ like this.
  19. Zamazam

Blog Posts:
    Ok, the Rockwell 6S in Stainless Steel: plates 1,2,3 are super mild, perfect for someone transitioning from multi blade cartridges. #3 is equivalent to the Feather Razor in mildness. I used plate 4 for a while then moved to plate 5, it's pretty close to the Merkur 37C. Plate 6 is an aggressive shave, good when you have a weeks worth of growth. I did single passes and 2 pass shaves, never got razor burn. My preshave routing consists of washing my face with soap, applying Proraso Sensitive Skin Preshave and then massaging it in for a minute. it softens the whiskers and makes them stand up. Preshave oil does the same thing, but the Proraso Preshave rinses clean with no oils left over. For shave soap I used Cella. Love that Almond smell. After shave was Speik with Witch Hazel, or Ogalla Bay Rum.

What I like about the Razor is that it's Stainless Steel, American Made (USA!), and comes with all the bottom plates with different blade angles. I used Feather blades in it for my daily shaves and have come to like the longer handle and weight of the razor. At roughly half the cost of the Feather Stainless steel razor, it's a good value since it will outlast you.

I tend to like 3 piece razors because they have such a solid blade lockup. The only exception is my Gillette Imperial Adjustable. That was my first razor and it still gives a super consistent shave despite being over 45 years old.