Become a Patron!

Any Double or Single Edged Brush and Blade Shavers Here?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have you tried Cremo? I love it as a preshave.

On a somewhat related note, I got my first straight razor and strop for my birthday last night. Have a whack today and only nicked myself once. I consider that a win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy belated Birthday! Straight razor shaving is an art form all to itself....

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Happy belated Birthday! Straight razor shaving is an art form all to itself....
Thanks Zam, it was a good day.

My DE shaving takes about 25 minutes from the time I start my prep, to when I finding with aftershave balm. This took me about 45, mostly because I was being extra careful.

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Have you tried Cremo? I love it as a preshave.

On a somewhat related note, I got my first straight razor and strop for my birthday last night. Have a whack today and only nicked myself once. I consider that a win!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Thanks Zam, it was a good day.

My DE shaving takes about 25 minutes from the time I start my prep, to when I finding with aftershave balm. This took me about 45, mostly because I was being extra careful.

I am sure that you will find that after each and every shave, you will find that the next one will show improvment and will not take quite as long.

Along with mastering your shaving technique, you will be adding some muscle memory.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am sure that you will find that after each and every shave, you will find that the next one will show improvment and will not take quite as long.

Along with mastering your shaving technique, you will be adding some muscle memory.
I actually welcome the process taking a bit longer. It's really my only "me time" that I get since the wife works opposite shifts and I have two little ones.

I really enjoy the whole process of wet shaving. Glad I made the switch a few months ago!

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I decided I needed something to do some very tight trimming around my beard and moustache, so I ordered a shavette that according to USPS will be delivered today...

41LHYO-JlwL.jpg

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I decided I needed something to do some very tight trimming around my beard and moustache, so I ordered a shavette that according to USPS will be delivered today...

41LHYO-JlwL.jpg
Nice, RJ

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

41LHYO-JlwL.jpg
Same set-up I bought a while back . Those blades to shave with , some only got one or two shaves, but for tight lines they are great . I still use that set-up to cut the lines around my beard and moustache . Cuts real close ,so only need it twice a week . Good luck with it !

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
As the thing comes with 100 half blades, even if they only last for a few trimmings I am good.

If I ever decide to actually try my luck and actually shave with it, I will break one of my Personna Med Prep blades to use in it.

I really love those blades!

Very sharp and very smooth cutting action just as good as the Feather or better IMHO .

And I can get as many as 5 shaves out of each blade but I replace them after 4.

JahmezOkieDokie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been wet shaving for almost 4 years now. I got tired of having to put down $30 to refill cartridges that didn't seem to last or even work well. Nothing can beat the smoothness of a good DE wetshave. And the sounds of getting each hair as you shave... I remember being on reddit and someone on r/wicked_edge was complaining about hearing the hairs as they shaved. I always thought that was one of the best parts! That and the soaps that are available. I wish there was a little more variety in soaps, but there is still more than barbasol and gillette pro fusion shave gel.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The Italian's are big on DE shaving and have a great variety of soaps. One of my favorites is Italian Palmolive Menthol made with Palm Oil. It will freeze your freaking face while you shave. It's fairly cheap depending on where you get it, but it's in a tube like toothpaste. My other favorite semi hard soap is Proraso original. That's what my old man used and I began my DE shaving adventure with it. Still use it to this day.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been wet shaving for almost 4 years now. I got tired of having to put down $30 to refill cartridges that didn't seem to last or even work well. Nothing can beat the smoothness of a good DE wetshave. And the sounds of getting each hair as you shave... I remember being on reddit and someone on r/wicked_edge was complaining about hearing the hairs as they shaved. I always thought that was one of the best parts! That and the soaps that are available. I wish there was a little more variety in soaps, but there is still more than barbasol and gillette pro fusion shave gel.
Hey! Don't knock barbasol damn it lol

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There's about a million different soaps floating around. I'd go so far as to say the options are almost endless

JahmezOkieDokie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey! Don't knock barbasol damn it lol

If you want cheap and drying to your skin, it is great. A relic of the nuclear age that just won't die. However, it is not the best to shave with and I'm sorry, but it isn't a good shaving cream. You can consider it knocked if you want, I'm just being honest.

There's about a million different soaps floating around. I'd go so far as to say the options are almost endless

You are correct in there being a lot of soaps out there, but if they are more of the same... Are they really that different? If you smell one sandlewood and tea tree, you've probably smelled (at least) close to all of them.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just received a tub of RazoRock Mudder Focker from Amazon for $9.99. Smells awesome, loads and lathers easy, and is nice and slick. Just figured I'd pass that along...

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I won't shave any other way than with my old Gillette adjustable; an Astra blade; some Palmolive, Arko, or Proraso soap, and a cheap boar brush.

Aftershave? That's a much longer story.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Want to hear something funny? Up until 15 years ago I used to use Kirk's Hardwater Castille soap in my shaving mug. Made from 100% Coconut oil, that stuff puts out incredible lather in any type of water, no scent, just basic coconut oil soap. Picked up that habit from the Old Man, who picked it up during WWII from basic training.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm a tabac guy.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Want to hear something funny? Up until 15 years ago I used to use Kirk's Hardwater Castille soap in my shaving mug. Made from 100% Coconut oil, that stuff puts out incredible lather in any type of water, no scent, just basic coconut oil soap. Picked up that habit from the Old Man, who picked it up during WWII from basic training.
I just saw this at my local grocer and wondered how it would perform as a shave soap. Question answered! Thanks, Zam.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm a tabac guy.

That's next on my list. I've got the Col. Conk variety pack (meh), Proraso green which I love (and the CO Bigelow tube), some Williams (difficult to lather), and now some RazoRock (my favorite).

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's next on my list. I've got the Col. Conk variety pack (meh), Proraso green which I love (and the CO Bigelow tube), some Williams (difficult to lather), and now some RazoRock (my favorite).

The C. O. Bigelow is Proraso

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Williams can be fickle. A lot of ppl say tabac smells like "old man". I don't get that at all from it. As a matter of fact I wish the scent was stronger. It's also slick as owl snot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I dunno, I don't like Tabac, some soaps (many) are not to my liking. I like either strong menthol based soaps, or no scent at all. That's why I used pure coconut oil soap for so long, huge lather and no scent whatsoever after a cold water rinse on the face....

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I dunno, I don't like Tobac, some soaps (many) are not to my liking. I like either strong menthol based soaps, or no scent at all. That's why I used pure coconut oil soap for so long, huge lather and no scent whatsoever after a cold water rinse on the face....
Different strokes for different folks, right? Lol I also a actually prefer to cold shave usually

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep. Some dudes like the whiskers to be tough and gnarly when when they shave. My issue is my beard is really thick and like piano fucking wire, I have to soften it a bit, or I go through 3 shaves per blade...

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep. Some dudes like the whiskers to be tough and gnarly when when they shave. My issue is my beard is really thick and like piano fucking wire, I have to soften it a bit, or I go through 3 shaves per blade...
I never start cold, always right out of the shower

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, I still use a hot towel now and then to get them bristles in a more softened state. Being a Norwegian-American, my beard always thinks of the cold, so it grows fast and thick. The few years I grew my beard out, well damn, I could of put that grizzly adams character to shame....

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm thinking about getting some Mitchell's Wool Fat

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Just stumbled into this thread and very interested. Been using the dispose 4 blade variety in the shower. It gets the job done but never satisfying like all these posts state. My Italian facial hair would love to try this DE shave out. Any recommendations on what razor to get started with?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 Dumbphone

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My first choice would be a German razor, a Merkur 184 or similar razor...or a good razor like a Merkur Futura (not more than 45-55 bucks if you look around..)

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
My first choice would be a German razor, a Merkur 184 or similar razor...or a good razor like a Merkur Futura (not more than 45-55 bucks if you look around..)
Great thanks for the starter tip Zam

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Most of the starter razors are a copy of the Edwin Jagger DE89

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I see a new hobby n lots of research to do lolol

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Luckily I have learned via vaping that having great members who are knowledgeable and helpful are the best asset possible

Not to take anything away from anyone here, as our members know what they're talking about, but Badger and Blade forums have a TON of info on wet shaving. Check it out!

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I will check it out for sure. Thanks to all

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
They really do have a whole bunch of info on every aspect of shaving as well as what I am going to call the "Manly Art's"

Clothing, shoes and they even have a small vaping thread.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They really do have a whole bunch of info on every aspect of shaving as well as what I am going to call the "Manly Art's"

Clothing, shoes and they even have a small vaping thread.
Do you participate in the vaping section over there, @UncleRJ? I've posted in a few threads there. Nice group.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Do you participate in the vaping section over there, @UncleRJ? I've posted in a few threads there. Nice group.

Yep, I have and I intend to do more.

I still go by UncleRJ but for the time being, I use this avatar...............

Bill.jpg

VU Sponsors