Become a Patron!

Any Double or Single Edged Brush and Blade Shavers Here?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I dig that little nook on B&B. Good people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmm... Speaking of nook... Is that forum still going? I used to peruse there a bit, but it's been a long time since I have

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm... Speaking of nook... Is that forum still going? I used to peruse there a bit, but it's been a long time since I have
You mean The Vapers? Yeah they're still going. Not strong, but still going. Seems like the forum for the tobacco users seems a bit more active.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You mean The Vapers? Yeah they're still going. Not strong, but still going. Seems like the forum for the tobacco users seems a bit more active.

No, the shaving nook

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Been using a Gillette super thin (Thai) blade in my Merkur Futur. Works really well, 4 shaves and no noticeable tugging. Got a 5 pack of the Persona Med Prep blades, used one in my Merkur 37C. Meh, not really impressed, but YMMV with blades.

I can recommend the Col Conk Glycerine Lime shaving mug soap. That stuff lathers nicely and kinda soaks into your skin while shaving, leaving your face nice and smooth and conditioned. Got a puck of the lime and one of the Sandalwood as a freebie with an order. Love the lime, detest the sandalwood, it smells like a cheap aftershave...

How many of you flip the blade over after 3 or 4 shaves? I did this with a Polsilver after 3 shaves and the next shave it felt like I was using a fucking paint scraper to shave with. I used to do the flip with the old Gillette blued blades and it worked for a couple more shaves, maybe 3 max.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been using a Gillette super thin (Thai) blade in my Merkur Futur. Works really well, 4 shaves and no noticeable tugging. Got a 5 pack of the Persona Med Prep blades, used one in my Merkur 37C. Meh, not really impressed, but YMMV with blades.

I can recommend the Col Conk Glycerine Lime shaving mug soap. That stuff lathers nicely and kinda soaks into your skin while shaving, leaving your face nice and smooth and conditioned. Got a puck of the lime and one of the Sandalwood as a freebie with an order. Love the lime, detest the sandalwood, it smells like a cheap aftershave...

How many of you flip the blade over after 3 or 4 shaves? I did this with a Polsilver after 3 shaves and the next shave it felt like I was using a fucking paint scraper to shave with. I used to do the flip with the old Gillette blued blades and it worked for a couple more shaves, maybe 3 max.
Col. Conk was the first shave soap I used. They're Lime is my favorite, as well, as the wife's. Some of their scents are weird, like their Bay Rum. Like you, I thought it smelled cheap. The Lime scent is by far the best I've tried.

As far as the blade flip, I tried it once and it tore my face up. I use Astra SP's and chuck them after two shaved. I know it's not economical, but it ensures great shaves and it's still miles cheaper than cartridges.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The blade flip works well with some brands of blades. The old Gillette Blued blades were good with the system, but Gillette discontinued those years ago, changed over to platinum plating or SS. Glad you like the Lime soap. I'm looking into making my own glycerine soap now, I got gallons of glycerine for my DIY stuff, so why not?

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pros and Cons of preshave oil? Normally I skip the use of a preshave oil before lathering up. To me, it's not needed during the summer months. However with winter approaching, I have found that a couple drops helps keep the skin supple as winter weather tends to dry it. Keeping your face hydrated during the shave and afterwards with a good shave balm is essential IMHO. How many of you folks use preshave oil? Do you use it more during the colder & Dryer months?

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used it once or twice. It was a sample from the Art of Shaving. They give out samples if you seem interested, and lots of them.

Unfortunately, I don't think it did a whole lot for me. Baby oil does about the same thing, but I just don't need an extra step.

I tried one of my Sputnik blades yesterday and was really impressed. It's a tie for best (for me) so far.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I used it once or twice. It was a sample from the Art of Shaving. They give out samples if you seem interested, and lots of them.

Unfortunately, I don't think it did a whole lot for me. Baby oil does about the same thing, but I just don't need an extra step.

I tried one of my Sputnik blades yesterday and was really impressed. It's a tie for best (for me) so far.

A Voskhod? Lol

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No. They're called Sputnik.
846bce873022c079d6f40a6235705755.jpg

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Shave Secret , in Texas , I use it all the time as a preshave . Nivea balm , after the shave .

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Me, I just very rigorously wash my face during the shower.

Then face lather.

Still love my med prep blades!

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice Slim! I got mine a couple of months ago, but yours looks to be in much better condition. Beautiful!

That's my main razor. It shaves so damn smooth. For one reason or another the black handled one is a lot tougher on me

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine too!

I used a flare-tip and a back handled Super Speed until I decided to get some slim adjustables and haven't looked back.

I'm still trying to find a home for my early 60s flare. Great razor for somebody getting into DE shaving, but I found my holy-grail and I haven't used it in over a year.

BTW, I'd totally trade a 1960 F3 code razor for a sub-ohm tank, RDA, mod, etc.

uploadfromtaptalk1445751533819.jpg

More pics if you want. It's a great razor and it'd definitely be an excellent start your journey down the rabbit hole of DE shaving. I'd even throw in an assortment of blades, saving you the time, money, and effort of finding and trying a bunch of different blades. Message me and we'll work something out.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Those are decent blades. I've been using the Thai Gillette Super thin blades for a month now. Good for 4-5 shaves. These suckers are really thin and flexible.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those are decent blades. I've been using the Thai Gillette Super thin blades for a month now. Good for 4-5 shaves. These suckers are really thin and flexible.
Just out of pure laziness and lack of effort to find out on my own, where are you sourcing those blades?

charlieallen844

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got one just like that . It was my father's. I Love the shave it gives. I use Dollar General de blades. Five blades for just over a buck. Long lasting. Today I tried the same kind of blade in a different razor. I may need a transfusion now. Lol. Not all de razors are created equal.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For bald dudes:
Headblade.

I started out with the Headblade "Classic"... the original plastic version... and used the Atra blade adapters. Was hooked immediately. Graduated to a heavier stainless version and somehow scored Sensor and triple adapters, so I can buy whatever blades are cheapest. Considering I'm lazy and normally use a Norelco, I have enough Atra blades to last me over a decade.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I used a Polsilver & lathered up the Panna Crema. First time I've ever gone from shave straight to aftershave. It was fucking wonderful. Note to self: order more Polsilvers

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I used a Polsilver & lathered up the Panna Crema. First time I've ever gone from shave straight to aftershave. It was fucking wonderful. Note to self: order more Polsilvers
Do you have a thick beard and sensitive skin like I do? I'm using Astras and the second shave for me is outstanding. First one is a little on the rough side, and the third is basically the same as the first haha.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you have a thick beard and sensitive skin like I do? I'm using Astras and the second shave for me is outstanding. First one is a little on the rough side, and the third is basically the same as the first haha.

I would say it's more dense. The hair itself is pretty damn thick. I used Voskhods for a pretty long time. They are great damn blades, but the Polsilvers edge them out. I didn't care for the Astras.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I have the same thing happen with blades other than the super thins. I think the blade is actually settling in and conforming to your razor and how you shave.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would say it's more dense. The hair itself is pretty damn thick. I used Voskhods for a pretty long time. They are great damn blades, but the Polsilvers edge them out. I didn't care for the Astras.
I'm not going to lie, the Astras were my choice because of the price. Probably time to upgrade. I see Polsilvers are $39.99 for 100 on Amazon. Still miles cheaper than cartridges!

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
what type of Panna Crema did you get?

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not going to lie, the Astras were my choice because of the price. Probably time to upgrade. I see Polsilvers are $39.99 for 100 on Amazon. Still miles cheaper than cartridges!

You can get them way cheaper than that. I bought 100 for $20 on Amazon less than 3 months ago.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Guess I'll have to look further down the list...

They were out of production for a while, but a lot of DE shavers raised hell and they started making them again. The fucking Chinese even made clones of them. The one on the right is the counterfeit.

fake01.jpg

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They were out of production for a while, but a lot of DE shavers raised hell and they started making them again. The fucking Chinese even made clones of them.
Go figure. I just checked and there's only 3 listings:
100-$39.99
50-$26
5- $7

VU Sponsors