Become a Patron!

Any Double or Single Edged Brush and Blade Shavers Here?

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah! Sorry! I did see that, but I wasn't sure if shipping would offset the cost since I have Prime.

I just wanted to take a second and say I think it's awesome that this thread has stayed alive for this long on a vaping forum. I've learned a ton I. This thread alone. Cheers guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got one just like that . It was my father's. I Love the shave it gives. I use Dollar General de blades. Five blades for just over a buck. Long lasting. Today I tried the same kind of blade in a different razor. I may need a transfusion now. Lol. Not all de razors are created equal.
When is the last time you got Dollar General/Family Dollar blades?

I'd been buying them there for years, but the last blades I got there were horrible. Absolutely nothing like the blades I used to get from there.

They weren't the closest shave (for me), but damn they were smooth. With these new ones I'd get a better shave with a dull and rusty kitchen knife.

Somebody makes your product cheaper and you automatically use that supplier. The American way.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

charlieallen844

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When is the last time you got Dollar General/Family Dollar blades?

I'd been buying them there for years, but the last blades I got there were horrible. Absolutely nothing like the blades I used to get from there.

They weren't the closest shave (for me), but damn they were smooth. With these new ones I'd get a better shave with a dull and rusty kitchen knife.

Somebody makes your product cheaper and you automatically use that supplier. The American way.

Baught some last week from DG. They work good for me but your mileage may vary. As I said it makes a huge difference which razor I use them in also. Different strokes for different folks.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Baught some last week from DG. They work good for me but your mileage may vary. As I said it makes a huge difference which razor I use them in also. Different strokes for different folks.
I was getting mine from Family Dollar (same blades as Dollar General) for about 2 years and they were consistently good, smooth shaving and non-irritating blades in any of my adjustable and non-adjustable Super Speeds. The blades I bought this spring are in the same package as always, but are in no way the same blades as before. They look the same, but they are just dull enough that they pull and tug and leave behind a ton of hair, and just sharp enough to nick the crap out of my face.

I have about 9 at home I'd give away for a stamp.

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The problem with Family Dollar ,or Dollar General is that the corporation buyers are Chinese people in China ( it's all about making a buck , no disrespect ) . They are not Americans with a tough beard , so that's your judge .
As for blades it's ,...( CVS etc . are all rebranded ) to each his own , but what I do is pick my best blades , then go to Amazon or E-bay , compare the price , and buy most name brands for .08 cents to .15 cents per blade , in a batch of 50 or 100 .

Last edited:

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry to say, but I do use replaceable cartridges. However, I don't use cream. It started when my wife ordered me soap and a brush from Walgreen's as a surprise. At the time, I was still shaving with hot water. I also always used to wet my washcloth with hot water and soak my face. Went on that way for a year or two. Then one day, for whatever reason I can't remember, I decided to try shaving with cool water. I didn't even soak my face, just spread the soap on dry. I experienced a lot less irritation, and a closer, smoother shave as well. I have been shaving this way since, and I like it much better especially in the summer time.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to be a single-blade Bic and hair conditioner in the shower guy for years. I had tons of hair conditioner I wasn't using (due to not having any hair left to condition) and just did that for years. It worked, but it was as mundane as taking a crap. It also didn't get my weird swirly neck whiskers cut, ever.

I also was a dual-user of the old Norelco rotary, which literally never cut half of my neck hairs and left patches on my cheeks after going over and over.

I picked up a 55 year old Super Speed flare on eBay about 2 1/2 years ago and about 8 different kinds of DE blades. Most of the blades were horrible even considering my inexperience with DE shaving, but I think I was ahead of the curve having used the single-blade disposables for most of my shaving life. The same blades that hacked up my face back then still hack up my face and I have a pretty good assortment of blades I'll never use unless I'm feeling especially masochistic.

The real "holy grail" I found in my DE shaving experience has been getting a couple adjustable Super Speeds. I like cranking the exposure up to 7 or 8 for the first pass with the grain and then turning it down between 3-5 for the last against the grain pass, all depending on which blade I'm using.

The blades I've found work exceptionally well for me are Russians; PolSilver, Rapira, and especially my current #1 Sputnik and my #2 Astra SP. I've tried pretty much every other kind of available blades except for Feather and vintage, but the CCCP blades work best for me, except for the Voskhod which have been a bit inconsistent.

95% of the time I shave with my adjustable Super Speed, my cheap boar brush, and grated German Palmolive shave stick, Arko, or Proraso. The other 5% of the time I'm either waking up at 5:00 AM and quickly shaving with my cheapie Braun, or going full hobo beard when I have to work at 5:30 am after working until 10:30 PM the night before.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've tried the generic's from the Dollar store once, they were suitable for use in a paint scraper, but not a DE razor. About 15 years ago a local Pharmacy was bought out by CVS, they were going to get their stock rotated from the corporate office, so they had a blow out sale. They had the old Gillette Blued blades in 10 packs (not SS or Platinum coated). These blades were from the mid to late 1970's. At a dollar a pop for 10 blades, I bought the1 remaining carton (48 count per carton) they had. 480 blades for $48. They didn't sell because they weren't SS or cartridges. These were the blades I started with when my beard grew in as a teen. 3 shaves, flip the blade, 2-3 more shaves then reload with a new blade. I used them in my Gillette Imperial Adjustable for years. When I bought a Merkur Futur, I tried the Blued Gillette blades in it. Razor Burn City....The Merkur blades worked fine in it, same with Feathers and Polsilver blades. The only other razor the Blued Gillette blades work well in is the Merkur 34C. Like vaping, Some combinations work well with tank and mod, some not so well.

Both of my son's use the Merkur's. One has a gold plated 34C I gave him for his 16th birthday, the other has a Merkur 180 (sensitive skin) that I also gave him on his 16th birthday. Both are in their mid 20's and still use the DE razors. My older son likes Wilkinson Sword blades in the 34C, my younger boy uses Merkur blades exclusively, he found that any other blade combo with his Merkur 180 tended to give him nasty razor burn. I guess you find the right blade/razor combination by trial and error.

I have a Slant bar razor by Merkur. The razor is incredibly aggressive, as close to a straight razor shave as you can get. It's great for a single pass shave, as I have a very thick and wiry beard. The only blades I can use in it that don't rip up my face are the Gillette Super thins, either Thai or Vietnamese.

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've tried the generic's from the Dollar store once, they were suitable for use in a paint scraper, but not a DE razor. About 15 years ago a local Pharmacy was bought out by CVS, they were going to get their stock rotated from the corporate office, so they had a blow out sale. They had the old Gillette Blued blades in 10 packs (not SS or Platinum coated). These blades were from the mid to late 1970's. At a dollar a pop for 10 blades, I bought the1 remaining carton (48 count per carton) they had. 480 blades for $48. They didn't sell because they weren't SS or cartridges. These were the blades I started with when my beard grew in as a teen. 3 shaves, flip the blade, 2-3 more shaves then reload with a new blade. I used them in my Gillette Imperial Adjustable for years. When I bought a Merkur Futur, I tried the Blued Gillette blades in it. Razor Burn City....The Merkur blades worked fine in it, same with Feathers and Polsilver blades. The only other razor the Blued Gillette blades work well in is the Merkur 34C. Like vaping, Some combinations work well with tank and mod, some not so well.

Both of my son's use the Merkur's. One has a gold plated 34C I gave him for his 16th birthday, the other has a Merkur 180 (sensitive skin) that I also gave him on his 16th birthday. Both are in their mid 20's and still use the DE razors. My older son likes Wilkinson Sword blades in the 34C, my younger boy uses Merkur blades exclusively, he found that any other blade combo with his Merkur 180 tended to give him nasty razor burn. I guess you find the right blade/razor combination by trial and error.

I have a Slant bar razor by Merkur. The razor is incredibly aggressive, as close to a straight razor shave as you can get. It's great for a single pass shave, as I have a very thick and wiry beard. The only blades I can use in it that don't rip up my face are the Gillette Super thins, either Thai or Vietnamese.
Thanks ,for that . Perfect story of finding the right blade at the right price ,and what works for one may not work for everyone .

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I revisited the Personna Med Preps for my past couple of shaves. Dialed my Slim down to 5 and found them to be sharp, smooth, and didn't tear up my face like they did in my Super Speed Flare Tip. I've got three more to enjoy!

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I revisited the Personna Med Preps for my past couple of shaves. Dialed my Slim down to 5 and found them to be sharp, smooth, and didn't tear up my face like they did in my Super Speed Flare Tip. I've got three more to enjoy!

I don't have the "med prep" blades with the "Hospital Use Only" printed on them, but I have the "Lab Blue" blades. From what I've read the only difference between Med Preps and Lab Blues is that the Med Preps go through an extra cleaning/disinfecting step before packaging that the Lab Blues don't go through.

I have about 40 Lab Blues that I haven't been able to give or trade away yet. I've revisited them a couple times, but they always tear the crap out of my face and irritate it like no other (except maybe Derby), but end up leaving huge patches of uncut stubble. It also doesn't seem to matter which razor I use them in (Flare or Slim adjustable) or what I have the razor set at. I can dial my adjustable down to a 5 for the first pass with the grain and as low as 2 for the second against the grain pass and get the same crappy results.

On the upside I've gotten some excellent Russki trade-blades from people who wanted to try them (Sputniks are amazing!). The Personnas have been sitting around "collecting dust" in my shave drawer for about a year.

Anybody want some?

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't have the "med prep" blades with the "Hospital Use Only" printed on them, but I have the "Lab Blue" blades. From what I've read the only difference between Med Preps and Lab Blues is that the Med Preps go through an extra cleaning/disinfecting step before packaging that the Lab Blues don't go through.

I have about 40 Lab Blues that I haven't been able to give or trade away yet. I've revisited them a couple times, but they always tear the crap out of my face and irritate it like no other (except maybe Derby), but end up leaving huge patches of uncut stubble. It also doesn't seem to matter which razor I use them in (Flare or Slim adjustable) or what I have the razor set at. I can dial my adjustable down to a 5 for the first pass with the grain and as low as 2 for the second against the grain pass and get the same crappy results.

On the upside I've gotten some excellent Russki trade-blades from people who wanted to try them (Sputniks are amazing!). They've been sitting around "collecting dust" in my shave drawer for about a year.

Anybody want some?

Care to trade for 50 Astras?

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Anyone have a decent old school safety raise they would wanna pif. My cheapy Sally's beauty supply one is horrendous on my face. Until I sell some mods I'm so broke.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
To all . How many good shaves do you get from your blades , and what brand are they ?

Last edited:

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To all . How many good shaves do you get from your blades , and what brand are they ?
I get three shaves out of my Astra SP's, four out of a Feather, four out of a Kai, and four out of a Gillette Silver Blue.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I fucked up pretty good the other day.
The grocery chain where I work has been pushing a new organic bar soap. Had some really nice scents. Bought a bar for $2.99 to see if it would lather up nicely. It felt really slick with the water on it, so I figured it would work nicely with my relatively new straight razor. I lathered up my face and proceeded to shave. Big fucking mistake!! Hacked up my face pretty good and had to stop mid shave and switch to Proraso and a DE. Could barely handle a second pass because my skin was already raw. Lesson learned.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've found the best shave soaps have a fair amount of lubricants like tallow. Soaps made with Palm oil and Olive oil are good, soaps made with glycerine tend to soak into my skin fast and not provide good lubrication.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I get 4 to 5 with most blades, 4 with the Super Thins, 4 with Astra SP, 5 with Polsilvers, 4-5 with Gillette Blued blades (no longer made). 3 with the Merkur blades. Any more than 3 and I get razor burn. 4 Shaves per feather blade.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've found the best shave soaps have a fair amount of lubricants like tallow. Soaps made with Palm oil and Olive oil are good, soaps made with glycerine tend to soak into my skin fast and not provide good lubrication.
Yeah this is a glycerine soap. Behaved like Williams, but way worse. The wife will like it for intended use, though!

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My go to shave soap is Cella, bought a Kilogram block of it 5 years ago and still have a lot left. I love Proraso, but think Cella offers more lubricants. You've got to like the smell of Almonds though. Buy a small tub and see if you like it. I think you might.

When I travel, I take a tube of Palmolive Palm oil shave soap along (Original, used to be made in the USA, now made in Italy). Lathers really well and has a high amount of tallow for lubrication. Palmolive used to be a standard shave cream, then Barbasol in tubes, now both discontinued in the USA. Palmolive was the only brand my Dad used for many, many years.

I quit using William's when the local stores jacked the price up to $2 per puck, You can find them for $0.75 on the net now.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My go to shave soap is Cella, bought a Kilogram block of it 5 years ago and still have a lot left. I love Proraso, but think Cella offers more lubricants. You've got to like the smell of Almonds though. Buy a small tub and see if you like it. I think you might.

When I travel, I take a tube of Palmolive Palm oil shave soap along (Original, used to be made in the USA, now made in Italy). Lathers really well and has a high amount of tallow for lubrication. Palmolive used to be a standard shave cream, then Barbasol in tubes, now both discontinued in the USA. Palmolive was the only brand my Dad used for many, many years.

I quit using William's when the local stores jacked the price up to $2 per puck, You can find them for $0.75 on the net now.

I'll second Palmolive, but I use the stick, not the cream. I grate the stick into a small resealable glass storage dish (anchor) and face lather. I've yet to find another shave soap that works better than Palmolive, plus I enjoy the scent.

I haven't found a cream that works well yet out of the few I own, and I'm not really looking.

Arko gets the second place with me; it's not as slick and doesn't smell anywhere near as good as Palmolive. I use Arko the same way as Palmolive, but just mash it into a container as it's much softer.

A tie for second goes to the original green Proraso tub. I love the menthol on a warm day, but we don't need any cooling up her from late October until April. It's a ridiculously easy lather and has good protection.

I've tried several pucks of William's with varying degrees of luck. I've tried all available varieties of Van der Hagen and, although it's easy to lather, it offers little protection or slickness. There have been countless others over the last few years, but they've all been relegated to (and used up in) the shower.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
An Army buddy whom I served with who now lives in England sent me a few Wilkinson Sword DE razors from a local Boots (Pharmacy). These razors, despite being plastic and PFTE are really a pleasure to shave with. They cost about 7 quid over there ($10) and are quite mild in their shave, I was surprised at how well they are made for such a cheap price. I'd expect they would last a few years before breaking, but they are splendidly well made for the price. The blades that come with them suck, but using a feather blade or a Gillette Blue gives a really good shave.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
An Army buddy whom I served with who now lives in England sent me a few Wilkinson Sword DE razors from a local Boots (Pharmacy). These razors, despite being plastic and PFTE are really a pleasure to shave with. They cost about 7 quid over there ($10) and are quite mild in their shave, I was surprised at how well they are made for such a cheap price. I'd expect they would last a few years before breaking, but they are splendidly well made for the price. The blades that come with them suck, but using a feather blade or a Gillette Blue gives a really good shave.
Lol I've been wanting to snag one of them, just haven't gotten around to it. I wish Cade/ L'occitan would release a AS version of their Vetyver. I think I'd stroke out if they did. I fucking love the scent of the eau de toilette.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hmmm, Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. Cool. :cool: I joined Badger & Blade a couple of years back. Found it through a long thread on the Benchmade forum, (if it isn't one kind of edge it's another)... went through a nice variety of razors, creams, hard soaps, splashes & balms. Over the months after the smoke cleared I settled on my go to gear and vary the software. Razors are down to two - the original Feather, mostly used with an iKon open comb base or a Merkur Slant 37C (should've bought the 39C instead). Still have all the brushes. I've moved and these pics are a few years old. Just happened to save 'em from a time when it was all new and fresh...

I put up a fair amount of posts on B&B. Nothing I was ever sorry for, but one day I had a 'misunderstanding' with one of the mods there... and he booted me. It's a great forum but the mod was an azzh0le and wouldn't let me back in. These days I'm not active in shaving forums but The Shave Nook filled the void for me when I needed it. That's a nice forum !!!.

soaps.jpg tucksink.jpg brushes.jpg feather.jpg

Last edited:

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That Feather SS razor is one nice bit of kit. will last forever.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Found these in WallyMart today
68e530e53aeac057dccde6d75e86cc7a.jpg

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ordered a "head shaving kit", some more blades for the razor that came with it, & a bottle of Fine Clean Vetiver AS today, from Italian Barber

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
GSBs aren't gonna get along with me, evidently. Polsilvers or Voskhods will be the blades of choice henceforth

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That Feather SS razor is one nice bit of kit. will last forever.
:) should've replied sooner - sorry. :) ...and thanks for the comment.

It may, or may not last forever but it will outlast me. That'll suffice. Was a good 'investment'.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got myself a new brush ordered today. I've been using an Omega boar hair one that my brother got me for almost a year now. Trading up for a nice Omega synthetic after buying one for the wife to keep in the shower (she kept stealing mine!). Super soft and dries really quickly. Hopefully will be in my hands by Saturday. Here she is:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456950143.715163.jpg

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ah, I can be a bit dense sometimes. Looks nice! I paid a few dollars more for the Omega only because I had a good experience with one already.

I have the Fine "classic" synthetic. Has a 20mm knot. It's freaking great

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I may have to get one for comparison purposes... or at least that's how I'll justify it to the wife!

If you're gonna get a brush, YOU HAVE TO get some of their aftershave lol

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're gonna get a brush, YOU HAVE TO get some of their aftershave lol
Wish I could!! Just discovered that we have an "Art of Shaving" at a mall nearby. Salesman got me chatting and I walked out with a bottle of Ocean Kelp aftershave lotion. Never even occurred to me to check the price until after. Forty dollars!!!!! Never again!!

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wish I could!! Just discovered that we have an "Art of Shaving" at a mall nearby. Salesman got me chatting and I walked out with a bottle of Ocean Kelp aftershave lotion. Never even occurred to me to check the price until after. Forty dollars!!!!! Never again!!

A 100ml bottle of Fine AS is $15 I think lol You need to stay away from that damn trap

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it's time for a new DE razor. I'm trying to decide between a new adjustable or a slant.
I have a Gillette Slim Adjustable, a Super Speed flare tip, a British Gillette Rocket, and Maggard MR3, and a Dorco Prime (Weishi I think).

As far as adjustable, I'd really like a Fat Boy, but the price is too high when I could get a Merkur Futur or Progress for less. I've been looking at the Merkur 39C and 34C for the slant.
Anyone have any experience with these and can make a recommendation?

VU Sponsors