Become a Patron!

Any Double or Single Edged Brush and Blade Shavers Here?

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Gentlemen, try an Omega boar bristle brush and Proraso shaving cream, just like you'd find in an Italian barber's shop. :)

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think it's time for a new DE razor. I'm trying to decide between a new adjustable or a slant.
I have a Gillette Slim Adjustable, a Super Speed flare tip, a British Gillette Rocket, and Maggard MR3, and a Dorco Prime (Weishi I think).

As far as adjustable, I'd really like a Fat Boy, but the price is too high when I could get a Merkur Futur or Progress for less. I've been looking at the Merkur 39C and 34C for the slant.
Anyone have any experience with these and can make a recommendation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My recommendation. If you want a more aggressive razor? http://www.italianbarber.com/collections/safety-razors/fatip

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Aggressive? Hands down it's got to be a Merkur Slant Bar Razor, I have a thick beard and this freaking thing is downright scary aggressive, only need a light touch when shaving due to the geometry of the blade in the head.

merkur-slant-closeup.jpg

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Aggressive? Hands down it's got to be a Merkur Slant Bar Razor, I have a thick beard and this freaking thing is downright scary aggressive, only need a light touch when shaving due to the geometry of the blade in the head.

merkur-slant-closeup.jpg
Lol I was waiting for you to say something about this monster

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

merkur-slant-closeup.jpg
Maybe this might be too aggressive as I haven't been DE shaving for even a year yet. Hank, how would you compare the Fat Tips to the Merkur? Less aggressive?

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe this might be too aggressive as I haven't been DE shaving for even a year yet. Hank, how would you compare the Fat Tips to the Merkur? Less aggressive?

That slant is (from everything I've heard/read) the most aggressive DE there is. The Fatip is aggressive, but very manageable. I don't have one, but I do intend on getting one. It has quite the mixed reviews, people either love them or they don't. Read/watch reviews, crank that OCD into overdrive. lol

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you want a razor that can be very tame to really aggressive, look at the Merkur Futur, fully adjustable and a dang good razor to boot.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
...Anyone have any experience with these and can make a recommendation?
Do you really need a reco? Maybe just a push... ok, seriously... You won't regret a 39C slant. Seriously, it's not as aggressive as has been said. They are worth owning.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ugh, you guys have been no help haha!!
That being said, I think my budget is telling me either a Fatip Piccolo or Grande, or a Merkur 37C. Price difference is about $6 where I've been looking. Decisions, decisions.
The idea for me is better efficiency= less passes= less irritation. At least that's what I'm hoping for!

Light seeker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The idea for me is better efficiency= less passes= less irritation.

Makes sense to me.
Not sure it's all in the razor though. I''ve been using Feather blades in an Edwin Jagger for a few years, always a 1 pass shave on my thick beard. Until the blade gets dull, about the 4th day.

Sent with Tapatalk

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ugh, you guys have been no help haha!!
That being said, I think my budget is telling me either a Fatip Piccolo or Grande, or a Merkur 37C. Price difference is about $6 where I've been looking. Decisions, decisions.
The idea for me is better efficiency= less passes= less irritation. At least that's what I'm hoping for!

37C then...LOL

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I got a tub of Geo F. Trumper Sandalwood shave cream as a gift a few months back and just tried it. It's a great shave soap/cream, leaning more on the cream side. Lathers incredibly well and the lather is really, really slippery. I think they blend tallow or some other lubricant in the cream. The slipperiness tends to stick to your face and hands, meaning a hot water rinse before a cold one to get the remnants of the cream off your hands and face. If You have really oily skin or acne, pass on it.

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMHO, when you really want to enter a new world (Like Vaping for example) find a good forum, give it a good lurk and then join.

Myself joining this place to learn about shaving is a great example.

http://www.badgerandblade.com

You can look me up there if you like as I use the same ID.

The main thing to learn IMHO, is not to use ANY pressure at all on the part that holds the blade and to learn the correct angle. Done correctly, the razor will just glide over your face and remove the offending whiskers without you reallly feeling the process.

And reprogramming yourself to change the blades a LOT! You are no longer being ripped off by the prices for those multi head cartridges. A top of the line really expensive razorblade for a DE razor will set you back WHOPPING 35 CENTS! So if you purchase 100 blades you are out $35, enough for almost an entire year of really close or Barbershop Shaves as that is the goal.

And I change them out after I have gotten three shaves with them (I could probably get more but you really don't want to press your luck and use a blade past its prime!

Be prepared to spend more time in the bathroom. Me, I have never been one to linger. Quick shower, quicker shave and the tooth brush and I am out in about 15 to 20 minutes.

Once I had been shaving for about 2 weeks and had the pattern down, I am now in the porcelain throne room for about 35 minutes per the stopwatch function on my cell phone. The main reason is that I am taking longer with my shave and not rushing through it becase for the very first time, I look forward to and enjoy the experience!

Hell, I even take my morning coffee and vape in with me as it is no longer a chore it is something I enjoy!

Haha... I went from 30+ years of shaving with an electric (very convenient when you often have to go on a moments notice) directly to using a straight razor, recently. Ooooh, it took a lil warring with the Mrs. at first. There was hanging a strop in "her" bathroom 1st. Then, claiming MY half of the vanity top for bowls, creams, razors, brushes, balms, etc. That was a grudging territorial surrender to say the least. Now, I've installed a sound system in the bathroom, because ya know, I love music. Never was in there long enough to hear a whole song before. In the end, she is really happy about it. She loves the MANLY smells that finally permeate that room. And the baby soft cheeks against her thi.. face!

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haha... I went from 30+ years of shaving with an electric (very convenient when you often have to go on a moments notice) directly to using a straight razor, recently. Ooooh, it took a lil warring with the Mrs. at first. There was hanging a strop in "her" bathroom 1st. Then, claiming MY half of the vanity top for bowls, creams, razors, brushes, balms, etc. That was a grudging territorial surrender to say the least. Now, I've installed a sound system in the bathroom, because ya know, I love music. Never was in there long enough to hear a whole song before. In the end, she is really happy about it. She loves the MANLY smells that finally permeate that room. And the baby soft cheeks against her thi.. face!
You amused her olfactory with "The Veg" yet?

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, I haven't. I've been playing around with my own DIY trying to make "The Veg" but I can't seem to get my percentages right. 3% Cat Spray, 4% decaying anchovies, and 5% expired roses is as close as I've gotten. Suggestions?! :)

Soaps and creams, I've experimented aplenty. For post shave, I tried a couple things and then got a sample from my FAVORITE secret source of outrageously cheap shaving gear.. The stuff is "I Coloniali with Mango Kernel balm". Smells great, but more importantly, the burn just lasts a second, and then it is very cool and soothing. I need to get a sample of "The Veg", I understand it's one of those, "Like it or hate it" scents. ;)

Oh yeah, my favorite goto source for brushes, razors, creams, soaps, etc. Please don't share it on the shave forums, I LIKE that I can GET the stuff. I have a definite bond with fellow vapers, but don't feel it on the shave forums. Prolly all that testosterone.

Look at the EX-Vat prices, that is what WE pay outside of Europe. Oh, and if you order anything with Alcohol in it, the chances of customs fucking with you, holding up your stuff and hitting you with a fee, goes up dramatically. Ask me how I know..

www.giftsandcare.com

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Get your grubby hands on some Fine Accoutrements AS too. It's good fucking shit

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
shave.jpg

The best (for me) of what I've found so far,
Razors:
Dovo Pearlex (budget friendly, attractive and has a nice 5/8 handfeel)
Boker Tree Brand Inox (man, this holds a keen edge FOREVER, and is SUPER balanced)
Dovo Encina (6/8, and SUPER sturdy. Need bigger hands for this. Thick tang, but the jimps top and bottom give great control)

Silvertip Badger Brushes
Muhle Sophist (Really heavy! but super bloom!)
Merkur Vision (Awesome control and balance, but smaller bloom)
Merkur Futur (not shown, in my travel kit)

Creams and Soaps
Xpec Cream (to die for, amazing cushion, scent, and glide)
Penhaligons "Endymion" Cream (right up there with the Xpec)
Lea "Classic" shaving soap. A close runner up to the above, extremely affordable.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Googled it. Sounds good! Definitely gotta play more with the AS's :)
I'm pretty sure it's a one man operation. Only 4 ingredients in a bottle, & not one thing you CAN'T understand. It's a damn beautiful thing

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This thread revival is making me itch for another razor again! Problem is that my kids' birthdays are only 20 days apart with Mothers' Day thrown in between. Needless to say, I'm broke! But when the time comes, I believe a Fatip Piccolo is in order.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have been using a straight razor and a saftey razor for two years now. What they charge for cartridge razors is pure bullshit and I dont know about anyone else but I get a better shave with the saftey razor than I ever did with even a 4 or 5 blade razor. Its all in the prep....
I put a hot towel over my face.
I stir the brush in the soap dish until its nice and creamy, no bubbles.
Apply to face evenly and let sit for a couple min, then shave. Simple.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been using a straight razor and a saftey razor for two years now. What they charge for cartridge razors is pure bullshit and I dont know about anyone else but I get a better shave with the saftey razor than I ever did with even a 4 or 5 blade razor. Its all in the prep....
I put a hot towel over my face.
I stir the brush in the soap dish until its nice and creamy, no bubbles.
Apply to face evenly and let sit for a couple min, then shave. Simple.
It's just downright manly!

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone here have Fatip Piccolo or Grande and can confirm whether or not a Maggard handle will fit?

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anyone here have Fatip Piccolo or Grande and can confirm whether or not a Maggard handle will fit?

Drop Maggard an email. I'm sure they'll reply expeditiously

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Drop Maggard an email. I'm sure they'll reply expeditiously
Good call. Maggard customer service is awesome!

Edit: SUMBITCH! Should have never looked on the site! For $10 more or so I can get all three Maggard heads (regular closed comb, aggressive closed comb, and the open comb, and another handle. Since I already have one, that will make for six configurations to choose from with minimal investment. Combined with the four other safety and the one straight I own, I would have 11 different shave options!!!!

Last edited:

Vapin_4_Real

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Dollar Shave club isnt too bad. I was a subscriber for over a year. The only bad thing about them is the trimmer blade isnt as sharp as the fusions are but the regular blades function almost as well as the fusion. I ended up going back to the fusions just to see the difference and I have been to lazy to sign back up.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
05ff605755a397f4c9b654a7ba1810b1.jpg

My order from Maggard came today. Limes & Bergamot soap, MR20 handle, V3a (aggressive) closed comb, V2 open comb, and V3 closed comb heads. All to the tune of $60ish. Now which to shave with this evening?!

That one!

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dollar Shave club isnt too bad. I was a subscriber for over a year. The only bad thing about them is the trimmer blade isnt as sharp as the fusions are but the regular blades function almost as well as the fusion. I ended up going back to the fusions just to see the difference and I have been to lazy to sign back up.
f3709601a0469120a33c2bf5d26d26f6.jpg

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That one!
Well I started with the V3a head and it was a bit too aggressive for me (for now!). Moved to the V2 open comb and it was really comfortable and gave a nice shave. I used both with a fresh Astra SP blade. I've yet to try the V3 head but that may be my choice this evening. I'll comment once I've used it.

Edit: oh and I LOVE the MR20 handle! Perfect length and a nice weight. The finish on all the heads is really top notch too.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't mean to be rude, but we're talking about wet shaving in this thread. Using shave soaps/creams with brushes, double edge safety razors, straight edge razors and the like. It's sort of the anti-multi blade cartridge shaving thread. Your input is certainly welcome but I thought I'd clarify for you.

Vapin_4_Real

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
No sweat! If you're ever interested in wet shaving though, the members here are all very knowledgable and friendly
I actually bought one of those ones that the guy from Pawn Stars promotes. It worked pretty well but it broke so I never bought another one :p

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually bought one of those ones that the guy from Pawn Stars promotes. It worked pretty well but it broke so I never bought another one :p
I started with a Dorco Prime kit that my brother gave me as a gift and I believe that's the same razor. It gives a decent shave, but there's much better out there for not much more

Light seeker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've been using an Edwin Jagger DE89 with Feather blades last few years .... It's all right. Read a review somewhere to try an o-ring where the head mounts to the handle, giving the blade a little more adjustment for curvature.

Anyone ever try this? Before I slice my face all up experimenting :)

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been using an Edwin Jagger DE89 with Feather blades last few years .... It's all right. Read a review somewhere to try an o-ring where the head mounts to the handle, giving the blade a little more adjustment for curvature.

Anyone ever try this? Before I slice my face all up experimenting :)
Never heard of it. GLWTS tho! lol

Light seeker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
LOL. Well, tried it....

The Jagger is a closed comb 3 piece DS, known for smooth, not very aggressive shave. Put a 1.5mm oring (spare from a kayfun rta) between handle & base. This gives the blade height & blade angle adjustments that cant be done stock.... The tighter the handle, the more blade angle & reduced height.

With it half tightened, razor is now quite aggressive, & slightly changes the angle needed to shave.

I like it! Been thinking of getting an open comb or slant razor, this simple o ring mod gives my jagger a level of aggressive shave I can now simply dial in as I like. Give it a try if you have a 3 piece razor!

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I gave the Maggard V3 head a spin last night. I heard it was pretty mild, so I paired it with a Kai blade that I had leftover from a sampler pack that I ordered.
Smoothest, closest shave I've had in months!! The head is, in fact, pretty mild. Paired with a nice, sharp blade it makes for a great experience!

I can't say enough about the value of Maggard's house razors and would definitely recommend them to a beginner who wants to try wet shaving or even a pro on a budget that wants options without breaking the bank.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So somehow I managed to get a DE called the Minotaur from Amazin for $2.99 shipped because I have Prime. It's HEAVY and aggressive. I have it a shot with an Astra SP and it gave me some irritation after one pass. Any recs on a less sharp blade for it? It came with a pack of yellow 7 O'clocks that I have yet to try.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wilkinson Sword.

They used to be the best out there, better than Gillette and Schick. They were made in England, I think they are made in either Germany or China now..

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wilkinson Sword.

They used to be the best out there, better than Gillette and Schick. They were made in England, I think they are made in either Germany or China now..
You know, I decided to give the yellow 7 O'clocks that came with the Minotaur a shot and they turned out to be a great pairing with the razor. Had an excellent shave with it this afternoon. I'll have to try them with my other razors, but I have a feeling they might be the smoothest blade I've tried to date.

I still want to give Wilkinson Sword a try. I read they have them in small packs at Walmart for cheap.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think I have a pack of the 7 o'Clocks. I'll give em a shot too.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So @UncleRJ turned me on to a really unique shave soap - Cryogen by Chiseled Face. This stuff will freeze your face while shaving, the most menthol ever in shave soap. I'm a convert. After shaving, my face feels cool to cold from the Menthol for almost an hour. Amazing stuff.

Chiseled-Face-Cryogen-Artisan-Shaving-Soap.jpg

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So @UncleRJ turned me on to a really unique shave soap - Cryogen by Chiseled Face. This stuff will freeze your face while shaving, the most menthol ever in shave soap. I'm a convert. After shaving, my face feels cool to cold from the Menthol for almost an hour. Amazing stuff.

I'll have to pick some of that up once I'm through my Proraso. Ever give those yellow 7 O'clocks a try, Zam?

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Gonna have to check that stuff out. Thanks Zam (& URJ)

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'll have to pick some of that up once I'm through my Proraso. Ever give those yellow 7 O'clocks a try, Zam?

Yea, I gave the 7 O'Clocks a trial. They are pretty decent, but lose the edge after 3 shaves. I use my feathers and Gillette Thai Ultra thin blades in rotation with Gillette Blue blades (Russian). I like the 7 O Clock's, but not enough to recommend buying a sleeve of 100.

BTW, Proraso isn't even in the same category as the Cryogen. That stuff is simply a face freezing delight.

VU Sponsors