Become a Patron!

Any freshwater fishtank enthusiasts here?

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well, the strip look like my chlorine level is 0.5 that sucks. I hope my bacteria aren't dead now. My dechlorinator must not have been shaken up enough. I hope I'm not back to square 1.

:( You might want to set some tap water aside and let it sit for 24 hours so the chlorine evaporates for the next round of water changes.

You can save on de-chlorinator that way. Also try not to stir up your filters so that the bacterial colony that is in there doesnt get washed around and thrown out with the water taken out.

Also if you know anyone with a healthy tank, see if they will lend you some of their media ( either sponges, or those ceramic or plastic media) that works really well.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
:( You might want to set some tap water aside and let it sit for 24 hours so the chlorine evaporates for the next round of water changes.

You can save on de-chlorinator that way. Also try not to stir up your filters so that the bacterial colony that is in there doesnt get washed around and thrown out with the water taken out.

Also if you know anyone with a healthy tank, see if they will lend you some of their media ( either sponges, or those ceramic or plastic media) that works really well.
I have two mature tanks going right now. I used filter media from my barb tank to seed the new filters initially. Maybe I'll do another squeeze later. I just used the same water conditioner this evening to do a water change on both tanks as usual. It never seems to cause any problems. I did double it this time though after seeing chlorine in the new tank. And it was a smaller change, %wise. I'll have to double check and see if it's supposed to do chloramines too. I think it does.

Last edited:

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think I'll strip check those mature tanks too, just in case.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think I'll strip check those mature tanks too, just in case.
The other two tanks are fine. All parameters are good. I may get the new tank going one of these days. This project has taken entirely too long. Sometimes I feel like it's jinxed.

Severs

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well it took me a while to get around to it, and it's not nearly as fancy as others I've seen on here, but here is my tank. As an aside, is there any easy way to get that film off the glass up top? Sometimes I get lucky and it will easily wipe off, or at least some of it will, but others It only comes off if I take my fingernails to it. I'd much rather deal with the algae again, least it comes off in a quick wipe. Water is a bit low in this pic, tends to evaporate fairly quickly when it gets warmer out. one on the left is Fred, the one on the right is Superfish, and yes, the kid named them both lol.

l_30.jpg

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That film is probably calcium/lime scale. Not real easy to get rid of. Vinegar will take it off but you don't want to use that when the tank is occupied.
I checked my new tank with the liquid kit. No ammonia, nitrite 5 ppm, and nitrates are off the chart. At least 160 ppm. Crazy.
I dosed the tank with ammonia,last night so I'm thinking my cycle just isn't done yet. Maybe the astronomical nitrate number is causing the chlorine pad to look slightly positive. I did look at reviews on Micro Lift Special Blend and Nite Out Bacteria in a bottle. It's mostly good so I may give it a try. I've been trying to finish this cycle forever it seems.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That film is probably calcium/lime scale. Not real easy to get rid of. Vinegar will take it off but you don't want to use that when the tank is occupied.
I checked my new tank with the liquid kit. No ammonia, nitrite 5 ppm, and nitrates are off the chart. At least 160 ppm. Crazy.
I dosed the tank with ammonia,last night so I'm thinking my cycle just isn't done yet. Maybe the astronomical nitrate number is causing the chlorine pad to look slightly positive. I did look at reviews on Micro Lift Special Blend and Nite Out Bacteria in a bottle. It's mostly good so I may give it a try. I've been trying to finish this cycle forever it seems.

Well, youre on your way , high nitRATEs means youre getting to that last stage. Nitrates are not as bad as nitrites and throwing some plants in will take care of that, since plants LOVE nitrates.

Youre getting close, just a few more days, I might even start looking for those fishies.....:bunny:

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
On a another note, I have another 75 gallon tank sitting empty. I plan to start working on it once the current 75 is fully set up. My daughter would like some angels. Would a 75 gallon set up be suitable for 6 angels plus some cory cats and maybe a banjo cat?

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think so, just remember that even though the Angels look so angelic they are very typical cichlids and are bullies. I would get a dozen small to med and assume that half might be gone in some time as they will be picked on by the more dominant angels. They do like to school and having more than usual will be comforting to them.

I love it, youre barely finished with one and youre already thinking of the next one. Im so envious :devil:

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think so, just remember that even though the Angels look so angelic they are very typical cichlids and are bullies. I would get a dozen small to med and assume that half might be gone in some time as they will be picked on by the more dominant angels. They do like to school and having more than usual will be comforting to them.

I love it, youre barely finished with one and youre already thinking of the next one. Im so envious :devil:
Well, my plan was to move the Rosy barbs to the 75, but I know they probably wouldn't mix well with angelfish. It will be a pain to break down the 55 and move it, but I'd like to have all the tanks together eventually anyway. My daughter has wanted angels or goldfish for a long time, so I'll probably do some angels. It stays plenty cool enough for golds downstairs (except in winter - wood stove could cause issues ) but from what I read, goldfish aren't as "easy" or hardy as some would lead you to believe.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I adore goldfish, but you need a giant tank for goldfish and big canisters for filtration.

I tried, and it broke my heart. I had some gorgeous , large fancies. Plus they have the capability of getting large, and live for 25 + years, some have been known to live for 50 years. Knowing that I feel real bad if I am the cause of a short life.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well it took me a while to get around to it, and it's not nearly as fancy as others I've seen on here, but here is my tank. As an aside, is there any easy way to get that film off the glass up top? Sometimes I get lucky and it will easily wipe off, or at least some of it will, but others It only comes off if I take my fingernails to it. I'd much rather deal with the algae again, least it comes off in a quick wipe. Water is a bit low in this pic, tends to evaporate fairly quickly when it gets warmer out. one on the left is Fred, the one on the right is Superfish, and yes, the kid named them both lol.

l_30.jpg

:inlove:

Severs

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Here's another pic, the one closest is trying to get attention from me, and the other one is trying to get attention from my son who is just off camera. These little fish are so attention hungry it isn't funny, I will turn around in my chair and they are doing their own thing, as soon as they feel the vibration from me getting up from my chair they are at this corner waiting for me.
l_33.jpg

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
They are more human than most people give them credit. That Koi is a real beauty and can live for decades and so can the goldie there.

Koi are like little water puppies, they love affection and fish do recognize their keepers.

I had a fish buddy and he had a large Pleco that honestly, loved watching TV, especially wrestling. He proved this by blocking his view with large pieces of wood and the pleco would toss that wood and he'd sit at the corner watching.

Ive seen peoples fish harass humans by spitting water across a room and hit with amazing accuracy and they remember those that obnoxiously tap on the tank.

They look happy and healthy and being so healthy they will out grow that home. Build an indoor pond :) They are really great.

Oh as far as the film, its been a while but, they used to sell these great magnetic glass cleaners.

I had a large one and it worked GREAT. Part of it was on the outside with a magnet and the other part was on the inside with a scotch brite type of surface. The magnet was strong and you could slide that across the glass , kinda fun.

Check your water and make sure everything is all right. Could be that you need more surface agitation/oxygen and certain bacteria are growing on the glass, just be careful, if the film is not black, brown or smelly, its probably a huge surface of beneficial bacteria doing "good"

I used to leave it on the back and sides and only clean the front. Its unsightly to us but actually a good thing.

Last edited:

Severs

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They are more human than most people give them credit. That Koi is a real beauty and can live for decades and so can the goldie there.

Koi are like little water puppies, they love affection and fish do recognize their keepers.

I had a fish buddy and he had a large Pleco that honestly, loved watching TV, especially wrestling. He proved this by blocking his view with large pieces of wood and the pleco would toss that wood and he'd sit at the corner watching.

Ive seen peoples fish harass humans by spitting water across a room and hit with amazing accuracy and they remember those that obnoxiously tap on the tank.

They look happy and healthy and being so healthy they will out grow that home. Build an indoor pond :) They are really great.

Oh as far as the film, its been a while but, they used to sell these great magnetic glass cleaners.

I had a large one and it worked GREAT. Part of it was on the outside with a magnet and the other part was on the inside with a scotch brite type of surface. The magnet was strong and you could slide that across the glass , kinda fun.

Check your water and make sure everything is all right. Could be that you need more surface agitation/oxygen and certain bacteria are growing on the glass, just be careful, if the film is not black, brown or smelly, its probably a huge surface of beneficial bacteria doing "good"

I used to leave it on the back and sides and only clean the front. Its unsightly to us but actually a good thing.

I thought they were both comet goldfish, least that's what we bought them as. The 25 cent feeder fish. As far as building an indoor pond, it's not an option for me unfortunately, I rent an apartment and I'm sure the landlord would take exception to it. I've come to terms that if they start getting too big I am going to have to find someone near with a pond to give them to, the 20 gallon tank is as big as I'm allowed here. It'll be sad to see them go, but I'd rather give them to someone who has the space and pond for them to continue to grow healthy then let them stay in a cramped space and be in pain. I've heard that the "goldfish grow to their tank" rumor is very false, to the point that they do stop growing externally, but the insides continue growing and they can be in alot of pain due to that.

As far as their attitudes, they are very stubborn and attention hungry. They have both been known to splash their tails on the surface of the water to get attention. First time one of them did that, it surprised me. I was trying to catch a few zzs on the couch, and I start hearing this faint ticking sound, after pinpointing it to the tank I thought something was wrong with the filter so I start watching to see what was going on, I saw Superfish whipping his tail to splash the water.

The film I think is more along the lines of what cmoore was saying, calcium build up. Its rough to the touch, and sometimes it comes off with a wipe, sometimes I have to scrape it with my fingernail to get it to come off. I'll have to see about getting one of those magnetic glass cleaners and see if it helps.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I thought they were both comet goldfish, least that's what we bought them as. The 25 cent feeder fish. As far as building an indoor pond, it's not an option for me unfortunately, I rent an apartment and I'm sure the landlord would take exception to it. I've come to terms that if they start getting too big I am going to have to find someone near with a pond to give them to, the 20 gallon tank is as big as I'm allowed here. It'll be sad to see them go, but I'd rather give them to someone who has the space and pond for them to continue to grow healthy then let them stay in a cramped space and be in pain. I've heard that the "goldfish grow to their tank" rumor is very false, to the point that they do stop growing externally, but the insides continue growing and they can be in alot of pain due to that.

As far as their attitudes, they are very stubborn and attention hungry. They have both been known to splash their tails on the surface of the water to get attention. First time one of them did that, it surprised me. I was trying to catch a few zzs on the couch, and I start hearing this faint ticking sound, after pinpointing it to the tank I thought something was wrong with the filter so I start watching to see what was going on, I saw Superfish whipping his tail to splash the water.

The film I think is more along the lines of what cmoore was saying, calcium build up. Its rough to the touch, and sometimes it comes off with a wipe, sometimes I have to scrape it with my fingernail to get it to come off. I'll have to see about getting one of those magnetic glass cleaners and see if it helps.
I get that scale build up on my stuff too. It's very difficult to remove without something to scrape it off with. I think I've cleaned it a lot of times. It disappears when wet only to reappear when dry. It's minerals from the water.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
WOW, those were feeder? You've been doing something right.

That white and orange one sure looks like a carp/ koi. Does he have 2 sets of barbs or mustaches around his mouth? Common carp or Koi are really no different except in price :)

Comets are gorgeous and I think just as beautiful as the fancier rounder goldies. They are much more robust and less prone to squashy round bodied goldies are prone to.

Here is a diagram I found. Really genetically there is little difference between comet/ carp and Koi. Fins, now there you can have endless variety

cc92805c8ebb3fc8597cdb0ae1715f34.jpg

Severs

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I get that scale build up on my stuff too. It's very difficult to remove without something to scrape it off with. I think I've cleaned it a lot of times. It disappears when wet only to reappear when dry. It's minerals from the water.

Any recommendations on something to scrape it off without scratching the glass?

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Only thing Ive seen people use on glass is something that looked a lot like an Ice scraper for windshields. Ive seen people reach in with those razor blades they sell. You have to be careful not to cut yourself or have a fish cut themselves because of curiosity.

Severs

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
WOW, those were feeder? You've been doing something right.

That white and orange one sure looks like a carp/ koi. Does he have 2 sets of barbs or mustaches around his mouth? Common carp or Koi are really no different except in price :)

Comets are gorgeous and I think just as beautiful as the fancier rounder goldies. They are much more robust and less prone to squashy round bodied goldies are prone to.

Here is a diagram I found. Really genetically there is little difference between comet/ carp and Koi. Fins, now there you can have endless variety

cc92805c8ebb3fc8597cdb0ae1715f34.jpg

Looking at the shape of the body, I'd have to say definitely not Koi. The detached dorsal fin in the back, the rounded underjaw, and (not that he would stay still long enough for me to see very clearly) I'm not seeing 2 sets of barbs around his mouth. But yeah that one is getting big, he used to be smaller than the all orange one (Superfish), and now is bigger by a good bit. Superfish is slightly shorter than my index finger, and Fred is a fair amount longer than my finger. And that from being less than half the size of my finger a year ago.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I added the Microbe-lift Special Blend bacteria. It smells horrible - like rotten eggs. The bottle has a bacteria preservative that smells like hydrogen sulfide. The smell is supposed to dissipate quickly, but it's hanging around longer than I'd like. It keeps longer in the frige, but I don't want my good eggs to smell like bad ones. LOL. Hopefully this stuff will help. They make another product called Nite Out 2 I may try also. It's supposed to add additional nitrification bacteria. If I can get the nitrite under control I'll be in business.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im crossing my fingers for you, its so hard to wait. Worse than vape mail.
Well, I had quite a wait for my Koopor Plus. 6-8 weeks. Which is about how long I've been trying to cycle this tank. I'm not always the most patient person. LOL.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just got some floating rocks off ebay for my tank, think they look pretty cool :)

O6Z6WgH.jpg

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just got some floating rocks off ebay for my tank, think they look pretty cool :)

O6Z6WgH.jpg

WOW, those are cool, might be good for distracting the african cichlids. Be cool if they had large enough holes to act as floating caves or hiding places.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
WOW, those are cool, might be good for distracting the african cichlids. Be cool if they had large enough holes to act as floating caves or hiding places.

Over time, algae is meant to grow in the ruts and will look even cooler, and meant to be good for the tank too :)

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Over time, algae is meant to grow in the ruts and will look even cooler, and meant to be good for the tank too :)

Definitely a good thing, it will fill with beneficial bacteria= more filtration. I saw some photos on google search and some have java fern and that great little moss growing on it. Great idea.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think my cycle is stalling. Nitrite might be too high. The liquid kit maxes out at 5 on the color reaction I've read. If thats true my actual level might be way higher. I've added Special Blend and Nite Out 2, if anybody is familiar with those, but my level is staying sky high. Ammonia is being converted but nitrite not as much. Nitrates are crazy high too. Should I do some daily partial water changes until nitrite is at a more manageable level?

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think my cycle is stalling. Nitrite might be too high. The liquid kit maxes out at 5 on the color reaction I've read. If thats true my actual level might be way higher. I've added Special Blend and Nite Out 2, if anybody is familiar with those, but my level is staying sky high. Ammonia is being converted but nitrite not as much. Nitrates are crazy high too. Should I do some daily partial water changes until nitrite is at a more manageable level?
And I appreciate the posts so far - I'm getting more info and conversation here than on an actual fish forum

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Screenshot_2016-05-05-20-54-18-1.png Here is a shot of it as it sits and waits for tennants. Please ignore the mess reflecting in the glass. My daughter has a lot of stuff boxed up from redoing her floor.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That looks really cool, love the black bottom and the rocks :)
Thanks. The black substrate is Diamond brand blasting abrasive. Medium grain. I've only seen it at Tractor Supply stores. Despite the fact that its blasting grit (mostly coal slag) it,seems to be inert in water and is actually pretty nice feeling. Not as sharp to rinse as gravel. I have it in my betta tank too. You just have to rinse it very thoroughly before use and treat it like sand. The rocks are sandstone from a local creek. I disinfected them and scrubbed them down. But since they are sandstone, they always feel gritty. The back is painted black also.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Edit - it's Black Diamond blasting grit.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here is the 20g betta tank containing one blue female betta. And the 55 gallon rosy barb/cory tank. I'm not sure if any of the corys are out here. The three pink guys are my males. I love their color. There's a female in there too.
Screenshot_2016-05-05-21-39-51.png
Screenshot_2016-05-05-21-39-15.png

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here is the 20g betta tank containing one blue female betta. And the 55 gallon rosy barb/cory tank. I'm not sure if any of the corys are out here. The three pink guys are my males. I love their color. There's a female in there too.
View attachment 49957
View attachment 49958
Sorry for the funky screen shots. LOL.
I got tired of trying to edit!

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think I am finally cycled!!! Nitrites now read 0, pH 7.6, nitrates are even really low. I don't understand that one because they were off the chart last week and I haven't done any water changes. I added Special Blend bacteria once, and Nite Out 2 a couple times, which is for establishing the cycle and lowering,ammonia and nitrite. I thought the only way to decrease nitrate was water changes. Oh well, I'm going to add some more ammonia and check everything again. If my nitrates and ammonia are dropping back to 0 over night for a couple days, it's water change and African cichlid time.
: )

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So? where da fishes? Im so excited for cmorevw !!!!:bliss:
Sorry to keep you in suspense. LOL. Nitrogen cycle wasn't quite done apparently. After adding more ammonia the nitrites were at 0.25 next day. So I've been continuing to dose with Special Blend and Nite Out and ....waiting. I did put a few more barbs in my other tank though. They're so tiny compared to my other barbs right now. Hopefully they don't get harassed. My bigger male barbs are a bit aggressive.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lost half of my fish last night, including my prize oscar :cry:

One of my heaters over heated, my tank raised to 92F before I realized what was happening, I'm amazed any of the fish survived, and some still not looking very healthy, got the tank back down to 78F, and got no heaters on now, ordered new one's last night, and if needs be, I have still got a old one to throw in there till the new ones turn up.

Sucks I lost the oscar, but also spent a bit of money on new fish a few months ago and lost a few of them too, well on the bright side, I get to go fish buying again :)

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Lost half of my fish last night, including my prize oscar :cry:

One of my heaters over heated, my tank raised to 92F before I realized what was happening, I'm amazed any of the fish survived, and some still not looking very healthy, got the tank back down to 78F, and got no heaters on now, ordered new one's last night, and if needs be, I have still got a old one to throw in there till the new ones turn up.

Sucks I lost the oscar, but also spent a bit of money on new fish a few months ago and lost a few of them too, well on the bright side, I get to go fish buying again :)

Im so sorry to hear about your tank, aerate the tank like crazy, Higher temp lower O2 levels., Im sure you know that, my maternal instincts jump in as if I was there.

:cry::sad::cry::sad::tantrum::sad::cry::sad::cry:

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Adding to my frustration with my fishtank set up is that on the one hand, I have almost too many choices. But on the other, some of those choices are incredibly limiting. There isn't a wide variety of cichlid species locally, and if I order, shipping is expensive (and I do understand why...) and you still get unsexed cichlids unless you pay extra. That could be an issue down the road as they mature if I end up with the wrong M to F ratio. Sexed fish are way more pricey. I think this is a case of too much info being as bad as too little. LOL. Peacocks, Mbunas, and Haps...oh my! I don't have another tank set up for the overflow/outcasts so I'm sort of screwed if I have aggression issues. Maybe I should stick to more docile fish. LOL. Help....

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Adding to my frustration with my fishtank set up is that on the one hand, I have almost too many choices. But on the other, some of those choices are incredibly limiting. There isn't a wide variety of cichlid species locally, and if I order, shipping is expensive (and I do understand why...) and you still get unsexed cichlids unless you pay extra. That could be an issue down the road as they mature if I end up with the wrong M to F ratio. Sexed fish are way more pricey. I think this is a case of too much info being as bad as too little. LOL. Peacocks, Mbunas, and Haps...oh my! I don't have another tank set up for the overflow/outcasts so I'm sort of screwed if I have aggression issues. Maybe I should stick to more docile fish. LOL. Help....
I'm really partial to the looks of peacock species but I don't have a ton of options locally. I also like some of the hap species too, but again...same problem.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Its hard to choose with so many beauties.

I dont know if you have thought about looking for any "fish/ aquarium " clubs. I know it sounds kinda nerdy, but I joined one and it was worth it.

It was an hours drive , once a month and the amount of information and species available was amazing. They usually hold auctions or sell their fish and used equipment and the prices are amazing.

Plus the breeders can fill your head with a wealth of information and advise.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I did post on a state aquarium enthusiast page. I have found several options there- lwanda peacocks, haps (although I don't know what kind yet ) and Jack Dempseys so far. I know Jacks aren't african, but they're nice looking fish. Probably a bit too large eventually though.

Marc411

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I play around a little with Discus but honestly they can be a bit stressful. I age my water in 55 gallon barrels in the basement and pump it up to the tank.

They are beautiful but I am of the opinion that they have been breed to be overall less tolerant of disease. I had Discus 25 years ago and they were the heartiest fish I owned. Today you have to be worried about cross contamination if you own more than 1 tank, which I do.

boys9PE.gif

boys2.jpg

bluto.png

150.jpg

tank4-18.png

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well, I did post on a state aquarium enthusiast page. I have found several options there- lwanda peacocks, haps (although I don't know what kind yet ) and Jack Dempseys so far. I know Jacks aren't african, but they're nice looking fish. Probably a bit too large eventually though.

Hey, unless youre a hardcore breeder, dont worry about such stuff. YOU have to enjoy them. Some aquarium enthusiasts become so obsessed with location specific everything. If that makes them happy fine, but for some , like me its about enjoyment.

VU Sponsors