Become a Patron!

Any good builds for a first timer?

Vapetastic97

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, tomorrow I am getting a CSMNT RDA and would like to know a good first build to do, 0.2 to 0.3 ohms would be perfect, but higher or lower than that is fine too since it's only a first build. I also plan on running it at 60-80 watts. I will be doing a dual coil build, and currently do not have a drill I can use to wrap kanthal over kanthal, so that's out of the question at the moment. Also, for the CSMNT, what size screwdriver do I need? (I know it's flathead, but a lot of people don't pay attention to the fact there's different size flatheads) I do have a regulated mod btw, so is there any need for an ohm reader? Just can't be above a 0.6 build, as my captain pd270 only allows up to 0.6 (also have an alien)

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The pd270 can handle between .05 and 3 ohms so you've got loads of room to play round. As for the perfect build that's entirely subjective. What sort of vape do you enjoy? Hot or cool? Short draw or long draw?
A drill is a must though for even the startings of more advanced coils unless you do braided coils.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Vapetastic97

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The pd270 can handle between .05 and 3 ohms so you've got loads of room to play round. As for the perfect build that's entirely subjective. What sort of vape do you enjoy? Hot or cool? Short draw or long draw?
A drill is a must though for even the startings of more advanced coils unless you do braided coils.

whoops, i was thinking about my alien when i said .6. anyways, cool, and 4-5 second draws typically.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Could try a couple of parallels to start with since you don't have a drill or even take a look at the vertibraid and try that out. Doesn't work as well with really thick gauge wire though so what gauges do you have?

Vapetastic97

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Could try a couple of parallels to start with since you don't have a drill or even take a look at the vertibraid and try that out. Doesn't work as well with really thick gauge wire though so what gauges do you have?

i'm buying it tomorrow when i get my RDA to make it simple since i'm asking for recommended builds. getting all the things i need along with it also.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd advise you go with some 26 gauge and 36 gauge wire. From that you can do a lot of different builds once you get a drill. Also 26 gauge would be alright to braid.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
alright, thanks. a lot of people say if you have a regulated mod you don't need one, but i was planning on getting one either way because ya know, safety.

Those people would be wrong, then.

Vapetastic97

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd advise you go with some 26 gauge and 36 gauge wire. From that you can do a lot of different builds once you get a drill. Also 26 gauge would be alright to braid.

might get a drill tomorrow also but not entirely sure. what type of drill would I need? i have a regular drill but it's fitted with specific bits so i can't use it to grab onto the kanthal.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A battery operated drill. I use a Makita but any would do. If your drill would be able to grab onto a hand vice you could always just get one of them

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Personally, I wouldn't recommend investing in a drill until you get some experience under your belt. But that's just me. All I use to wrap some decent coils is a coil jig set and wire cutters.

Vapetastic97

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A battery operated drill. I use a Makita but any would do. If your drill would be able to grab onto a hand vice you could always just get one of them

i meant what was the type of drill called that clamps down onto it, sorry for the confusion.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always say to myself K.I.S.S
Keep it simple stupid
Vape calc is your best friend
db91c77ef282605a4fb1f4548772f426.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One with 3 prongs on like almost all drills I've seen. The hand vice looks like this
261d6635aa35b56fd0e492313e6cda33.jpg

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have dual ss clapton coils in mine. It reads 0.50. I went with a higher ohm build since I'm squonking on a single 18650 mod.
I got them from advance vape. Instead of worrying about building right now, maybe try a pre-made coil. Then learn how to build the coils you like.

Vapetastic97

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One with 3 prongs on like almost all drills I've seen. The hand vice looks like this
261d6635aa35b56fd0e492313e6cda33.jpg

so, for my first build, what i did was i did a small coil just to see if i could do it right (single coil) and its glowing a nice bright orange except the ends that are connected to the positive and negative (the part up next to the coils and the legs of course) . is that normal? just double checking, it's glowing nice and even, coming in at 0.85 ohms. is that alright to run on the captain pd270? honestly i'm super happy i even got a coil going, was just a practice one but willing to redo if thats too high of ohms for the pd270. also, another question. for a single coil build like this, do i just remove the other screws on the other side of the deck if they're not in use? and do i need to worry about juice dripping into the negative and postitive connections? sorry for so many questions, just being as knowledgable as possible.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That'll be sound to run on the pd270, it's a little workhorse. If I'm just doing a single coil build I tend to just tighten down the extra screws so I don't lose them. I'm not entirely sure what you're describing about the coil though. A good coil should glow evenly from inside to outside. The legs should never glow as that usually means you have a bad connection so remember that after you've heated a coil and got the hotspots out to retighten the screws as heat will sometimes help loosen a previously tightened screw. Also with the juice question do you mean inside the RDA between the posts? If so that's nothing to worry about, just juice up and vape on :)

Vapetastic97

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That'll be sound to run on the pd270, it's a little workhorse. If I'm just doing a single coil build I tend to just tighten down the extra screws so I don't lose them. I'm not entirely sure what you're describing about the coil though. A good coil should glow evenly from inside to outside. The legs should never glow as that usually means you have a bad connection so remember that after you've heated a coil and got the hotspots out to retighten the screws as heat will sometimes help loosen a previously tightened screw. Also with the juice question do you mean inside the RDA between the posts? If so that's nothing to worry about, just juice up and vape on :)

VAPOOOOOOOOOOR, just needs a bit more juice

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice one. The good thing to know is it only gets easier and better from here on :)

Vapetastic97

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice one. The good thing to know is it only gets easier and better from here on :)

so, only issue is the flavor seems muted, but it's probably the way i did the coil and MAYBE the cotton (coilmaster build kit cotton) but thats the only problem. heats up fine, cotton is juiced up and no dry hits. just need to do better builds i think, and i have native wick cotton that i got so i'll use that next time.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cotton can take time to break in depending on what type it is. Maybe after a few ml of juice the flavour will amp up a bit

Vapetastic97

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cotton can take time to break in depending on what type it is. Maybe after a few ml of juice the flavour will amp up a bit

yeah, it's been a while now, i rewicked because i was an idiot. wanna know what i did? i was talking to someone while i was building and forgot to cut cotton from the square of cotton, and i rolled the ENTIRE THING scottish roll style and stuffed it in there and i realized it and rewicked it. after a few hits now i can feel the flavor coming on better after every hit. and let me say this: building is fun and the satisfying vape after is amazing.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah that'll about kill the flavour haha we all make those kinds of mistakes. It's all part of the learning curve

Vapetastic97

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah that'll about kill the flavour haha we all make those kinds of mistakes. It's all part of the learning curve

i will say this, using an rda i vape a LOT more, a lot better than a tank. also, how do you know when you should replace a coil?

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Coils can last months on an RDA, just when the vape starts tasting off take the wick out, dry burn and rinse under a tap and rewick. I know in my first few months that is just throw the coil so I could practice more. All depends on you

Vapetastic97

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Coils can last months on an RDA, just when the vape starts tasting off take the wick out, dry burn and rinse under a tap and rewick. I know in my first few months that is just throw the coil so I could practice more. All depends on you

so i decided to make a new coil and it was waaay better than my first one, i go to clip the legs nice and even (12 wraps since its such a wide deck, 0.8 ohms) heated nice and even, but i ran into a problem with the cutters in the coil master, deeper in the jaws won't cut the canthol so i had to cut the legs separate and cut one too short so i had to throw it, i was so mad.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've messed coils up right at the end, it's a proper ballache. Good to hear the new coil is working better for you. As for the cutters problem or over cutting it will all come with time, make less mistakes, use less wire and less cotton. Just gotta keep building :)

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Vapetastic97

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've messed coils up right at the end, it's a proper ballache. Good to hear the new coil is working better for you. As for the cutters problem or over cutting it will all come with time, make less mistakes, use less wire and less cotton. Just gotta keep building :)

super quick question, i'm not sure at all if this happened in my previous builds as i was listening to music. but when i pulse on my ohm meter, it seems to have a buzz to it, the coils heat fine and everything, but just worried about the buzzing. i now have dual coils that glow nice and even and really wanna wick it and give it a few draws, but the buzzing is holding me back from it, 0.28 ohms too.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not sure what that could be as I don't own an ohm meter and cannot compare to one I own. I know some things like plugs give of a buzzing/pitched sound so it could be that it's normal. At. 28 you're well above your bottom limit for the captain, as long as it's with the batteries that came with it or equivalent amperage.

Vapetastic97

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not sure what that could be as I don't own an ohm meter and cannot compare to one I own. I know some things like plugs give of a buzzing/pitched sound so it could be that it's normal. At. 28 you're well above your bottom limit for the captain, as long as it's with the batteries that came with it or equivalent amperage.

i went ahead and put it on my mod, and DANG this thing gets BIG clouds and great flavor, hits harder than my tfv12.

VU Sponsors