Become a Patron!

Any one thinking about or currently using Gplat Wire check this out.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm just curious if the wire they're repackaging does actually provide a superior vape as many claim. If it does, then there is something "special" about it, it just shouldn't cost so much. Alternatively, as previously stated, it may be an emperor's new clothes effect: "This wire is expensive so it must be great!"
It is good wire. It heats beautifully, iit is fairly easy to work, and seems to last longer than Kanthal, to me. But it is in no way worth the markup. I just bought a 50lb spool of it in 26ga. To actually weld with. But I won't ever spend a penny on it when sold as vape wire. Plain stupid.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It is good wire. It heats beautifully, iit is fairly easy to work, and seems to last longer than Kanthal, to me. But it is in no way worth the markup. I just bought a 50lb spool of it in 26ga. To actually weld with. But I won't ever spend a penny on it when sold as vape wire. Plain stupid.
Good to know. Thanks bob! I might try to find some for myself to sample in the near future.

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So people say, yes. It seems to have the low resistance of nickel with the good handling characteristics of Kanthal.

The resistance is tiny. 30 gauge for example is 0.81 ohms per meter, 27 gauge is 0.85 a meter. Yes, higher resistance for thicker wire.. not sure how that can be! Maybe the vaping wire company product page I'm reading has one of those figures wrong.

Anyway, assuming at least one of those figures is correct, a 10 wrap, 3mm micro coil (approximately 100cm, or 0.1 meter) would be around 0.08 ohms! :) So you're going to need lots and lots of wraps.

Which is a good reason to get thinner wire. I bought a spool of 25 gauge which I'll receive tomorrow - that was all that was in stock at the time I ordered, and I'm wondering now if I should even have bothered, because I'm going to struggle to be able to make enough wraps to get resistance to where I can even use it (0.10 is the minimum I can fire in my Vapor Flask clone.)

Anyway I'll see how it performs and update.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
So people say, yes. It seems to have the low resistance of nickel with the good handling characteristics of Kanthal.

The resistance is tiny. 30 gauge for example is 0.81 ohms per meter, 27 gauge is 0.85 a meter. Yes, higher resistance for thicker wire.. not sure how that can be! Maybe the vaping wire company product page I'm reading has one of those figures wrong.

Anyway, assuming at least one of those figures is correct, a 10 wrap, 3mm micro coil (approximately 100cm, or 0.1 meter) would be around 0.08 ohms! :) So you're going to need lots and lots of wraps.

Which is a good reason to get thinner wire. I bought a spool of 25 gauge which I'll receive tomorrow - that was all that was in stock at the time I ordered, and I'm wondering now if I should even have bothered, because I'm going to struggle to be able to make enough wraps to get resistance to where I can even use it (0.10 is the minimum I can fire in my Vapor Flask clone.)

Anyway I'll see how it performs and update.

please do.. I like mine between .4 and .6 sometimes i might go to .3 but i dont stay there often..

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
please do.. I like mine between .4 and .6 sometimes i might go to .3 but i dont stay there often..

I don't think you will find much use for Stainless wire then. Think of it like Ni200 wire - 0.2 is considered high!

But yeah I'll report back on what I find.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I don't think you will find much use for Stainless wire then. Think of it like Ni200 wire - 0.2 is considered high!

But yeah I'll report back on what I find.

i just like to learn.. i dont know much on hardware, but juice.. lol..: D
is why i want to go lower to play with my juice and bring out better tasting/feeling vaper..
even tho i don't often go low ;) hope that makes sense.

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Actually sorry I was completely wrong - those ohms/m figures I linked to earlier must be quite wrong. I'm a bit confused.

Are you familiar with the coil calculator at Steam Engine?

That calc lists many kinds of wire, and they have SS317L. I just put in SS317L @ 25 gauge (what I'm receiving) and I can make a 0.5 ohm coil with 7-8 wraps. And that's quite a thick wire, i.e. low resistance. 28 gauge SS317L needs only 4 wraps to get to 0.5 ohm (@ 3mm)

That works out to just under 5 ohms/meter for the 25 gauge, completely different to what the link I posted earlier said! I think they've put the figures on the wrong wires, maybe those are the figures for 17 gauge or something!

So forget what I just said, yes Stainless is a possibility for you! It is maybe half the resistance of Kanthal; less, but not vastly so. Nothing like as low as Ni200.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Actually sorry I was completely wrong - those ohms/m figures I linked to earlier must be quite wrong. I'm a bit confused.

Are you familiar with the coil calculator at Steam Engine?

That calc lists many kinds of wire, and they have SS317L. I just put in SS317L @ 25 gauge (what I'm receiving) and I can make a 0.5 ohm coil with 7-8 wraps. And that's quite a thick wire, i.e. low resistance. 28 gauge SS317L needs only 4 wraps to get to 0.5 ohm (@ 3mm)

That works out to just under 5 ohms/meter for the 25 gauge, completely different to what the link I posted earlier said! I think they've put the figures on the wrong wires, maybe those are the figures for 17 gauge or something!

So forget what I just said, yes Stainless is a possibility for you! It is maybe half the resistance of Kanthal; less, but not vastly so. Nothing like as low as Ni200.

yes i am familiar.. but i do forget the link at times.. :p
and thanks Bloke.. might play with it and see too.. my 26g kanthal is getting boring..

BenJammin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Picked some up to test it against some gplat myself. I actually love the gplat I've used so far because it's ramp up time is so short. I just avoid using it in experimental builds for the high costs. I got it for $16 for 15ft. Going directly between kanthal and gplat I really do notice a difference in taste. I tend to taste a slight metallic hint with kanthal that is absent in gplat. I hadn't noticed until using gplat for a couple weeks then going back to kanthal.

If it does compare to gplat do I feel ripped off? Yeah, kind of but it's not like I spent hundreds on it. I'll definitely avoid Vapinology in the future though. They had to know the cat would get out eventually and they'd look like the crooks they are. Even if it IS a custom wire they had produced as they claim there's no way it's worth a buck a foot. To they guy that was quoted @ $23/3ft that's a store I'd avoid like the plague as they're obviously profiteering.
Try NiChrome

Sahsah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nichrome burns hot too. If you aren't careful when pulsing you can pop the coil.
You can pretty much fire an unwicked kanthal coil for as long as you want.
Well, that totally depends on the gauge of the wire, as well as the wattage, and the coil's resistance...like that really wouldn't apply to a 30 gauge coil or hell, even 28 gauge most likely. You will pop your coil

Sahsah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Same here. Bought 250' of 28 gauge, 100' of 24 Gauge, and 100' of 22 Gauge Kanthal for $50. Screw Gplat.
I would've got the 250 feet of the 24 awg, left the 28 awg alone, got 100 feet of 26 awg, and 100 feet of 23 awg or 22 awg if I can't find 23 lol

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, that totally depends on the gauge of the wire, as well as the wattage, and the coil's resistance...like that really wouldn't apply to a 30 gauge coil or hell, even 28 gauge most likely. You will pop your coil

I popped a 26 AGW kanthal build once. I was working on a friends series box. I did all of the math, and, because he wanted cloudz brah, stuck a 0.7 ohm dual on it. Went to clean them up and blew one of the coils up right in the center. decided to tune the next iteration on my single 18650 mech.

DuckysVapeReviews

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Very interesting stuff. Has anyone here tried gplat? I've heard good things but no way I'm going to spend the money they're asking. If it does provide a superior vape, does that mean everyone will be stocking up on this cheaper welding wire?
Atom uses gPlat in their gClapton coils supposedly. I been running the gClaptons in my tank lately and, IMO, not any better flavor than regular SS claptons or even kanthal claptons for that matter. I can it is recommended to run the Atom gClapton at 35w so it is a cooler vape. I run my claptons, or any other "exotics" I twist around 55-80w depending on what the coil is designed for. So to answer your question, I have sort of tried gPlat, no it's not worth the extra money.

VU Sponsors