Become a Patron!

Any recommendations on Samsung 20s

So here's the thing - I've been wanting to rationalize my 18650 battery stock (30Q's, HG2s, 25R's and VTC5A's) down to 2 batteries.
I needed to get more batteries and had decided to get some more HG2's for my regulated mods and VTC5A's for my mechs... simple. Went online to make my purchase and find the newly released 20S from Samsung and I'm now scratching my head trying to figure out whether they should be in my arsenal. They are not going to replace the 3000mAh longevity of the HG2's in my regulated's and not sure how they would stack up against the hitting power VTC5A's for my mechs (although 30A will certainly give more headroom on lower builds). I have read Mooches findings but this hasn't helped me make a firm choice. Any suggestions?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I rotated out my other batteries for VTC5A's, loved them. Samsung 20S came out, well still have my VTC5A's for they're damn good batteries but DAMN, I sure love the 20S's and I've stocked up on them also. They really, really perform extremely well.

I rotated out my other batteries for VTC5A's, loved them. Samsung 20S came out, well still have my VTC5A's for they're damn good batteries but DAMN, I sure love the 20S's and I've stocked up on them also. They really, really perform extremely well.
Thanks ro55co - How do you use your 20S v VTC5A's (i.e regulated v mechs) do you have a preference?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I merged Mooch's constant current discharge graphs so you can more conveniently compare the 20S with the VTC5A, and, I added three little arrow symbols to indicate where the voltage delivered by the VTC5A catches up with that of the 20S (that is, due to the VTC5A being more mAh) at 10A/20A/30A continuous discharge. On a single battery tube mech with the VTC5A usually I change out the battery before the voltage reaches down to 3.7V so, for how I always vape on that (i.e. at .11 ohms, which is ~32A-33A after taking the voltage sag of the VTC5A into account), this translates to ~3.3V, which means I'm only getting ~480mAh worth of actual vaping time. Whereas with the 20S that would be close to 800mAh, ~65% extra despite it is only a 2000mAh battery so now hopefully you can see the 2000mAh rating alone tells you nothing whatsoever because as a matter of fact voltage also makes a world of difference.

Samsung 20S vs VTC5A.jpg

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
i recently acquired many of the 20s batteries and they work like a champion dude. I am mostly a mech user and these are awesome on single battery tubes, parallel and in series. Very much like these batteries for what they deliver.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks ro55co - How do you use your 20S v VTC5A's (i.e regulated v mechs) do you have a preference?
Mech's and they are the best hitting batteries, better than VTC5a's. I have a few Mod's like my Oros V2 that is too tight for some batteries like my re-wraps and 20S that I use my VTC5a's.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I merged Mooch's constant current discharge graphs so you can more conveniently compare the 20S with the VTC5A, and, I added three little arrow symbols to indicate where the voltage delivered by the VTC5A catches up with that of the 20S (that is, due to the VTC5A being more mAh) at 10A/20A/30A continuous discharge. On a single battery tube mech with the VTC5A usually I change out the battery before the voltage reaches down to 3.7V so, for how I always vape on that (i.e. at .11 ohms, which is ~32A-33A after taking the voltage sag of the VTC5A into account), this translates to ~3.3V, which means I'm only getting ~480mAh worth of actual vaping time. Whereas with the 20S that would be close to 800mAh, ~65% extra despite it is only a 2000mAh battery so now hopefully you can see the 2000mAh rating alone tells you nothing whatsoever because as a matter of fact voltage also makes a world of difference.

View attachment 118615

Thanks for taking the time Carambrda - it's been really helpful in putting things into perspective. I'm probably a 70/30 single battery mech user, and do tend to build on the lower side so think I will definitely take some 20S's for a whirl!

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for taking the time Carambrda - it's been really helpful in putting things into perspective. I'm probably a 70/30 single battery mech user, and do tend to build on the lower side so think I will definitely take some 20S's for a whirl!
Probably I should note... in practice I'm not really getting ~65% additional vaping time because the fact the 20S is hitting so much harder (i.e. delivering a higher voltage) translates to getting more amps as a result from Ohm's law on the mech. And, for reasons that are obvious, getting more amps also translates to discharging the battery faster, as you're getting more power out of it. I don't know how much extra vaping time I tend to get, as I haven't factually measured it, but I think I tend to get at least some. The most readily apparent difference between the VTC5A and the 20S on the mech is, if you build pretty low, the 20S hits harder. I mean... not just harder, but a LOT harder. So yeah... more power... LOL

And, of course if you chain vape on it the battery temperature goes up a lot slower compared to using the VTC5A because the difference between having a CDR of 30A and having only 25A can really easily be felt on the outside of a copper or brass tube, if the inside of the tube uses no insulating lining of any kind. Makes me feel a tad more confident that I won't be causing a horrible accident each time when I blow my face off. :D

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i recently acquired many of the 20s batteries and they work like a champion dude. I am mostly a mech user and these are awesome on single battery tubes, parallel and in series. Very much like these batteries for what they deliver.
I saw you got a bunch. I may just pick some up today as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I saw you got a bunch. I may just pick some up today as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Them not being the first 30 amp battery but the first with a real runtime made me pretty excited for them. They are in practice what I was hoping they would be. I will be acquiring more of these.

Probably I should note... in practice I'm not really getting ~65% additional vaping time because the fact the 20S is hitting so much harder (i.e. delivering a higher voltage) translates to getting more amps as a result from Ohm's law on the mech. And, for reasons that are obvious, getting more amps also translates to discharging the battery faster, as you're getting more power out of it. I don't know how much extra vaping time I tend to get, as I haven't factually measured it, but I think I tend to get at least some. The most readily apparent difference between the VTC5A and the 20S on the mech is, if you build pretty low, the 20S hits harder. I mean... not just harder, but a LOT harder. So yeah... more power... LOL

And, of course if you chain vape on it the battery temperature goes up a lot slower compared to using the VTC5A because the difference between having a CDR of 30A and having only 25A can really easily be felt on the outside of a copper or brass tube, if the inside of the tube uses no insulating lining of any kind. Makes me feel a tad more confident that I won't be causing a horrible accident each time when I blow my face off. :D
Ok decision made -will stick with a couple more pairs of HG2's for the regulated mods (normally only vaping 45 - 75w on those) and half a dozen 20S's for the mechs. Really looking forward to seeing how they perform against the VTC5A's. Might help with the problem I'm having with my Dreamers - have a brass one that fires like a 'dream', the other is stainless and not running too flash - maybe a 20S will help it along. Have been using 18650's as my iJoy and Efest 20700's just cant hit hard enough. Next battery shop will be for some 30T's. Thanks for your help!

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok decision made -will stick with a couple more pairs of HG2's for the regulated mods (normally only vaping 45 - 75w on those) and half a dozen 20S's for the mechs. Really looking forward to seeing how they perform against the VTC5A's. Might help with the problem I'm having with my Dreamers - have a brass one that fires like a 'dream', the other is stainless and not running too flash - maybe a 20S will help it along. Have been using 18650's as my iJoy and Efest 20700's just cant hit hard enough. Next battery shop will be for some 30T's. Thanks for your help!
Mooch has tested the stainless steel Dreamer and compared it against other Dreamers. Search for "Battery Mooch" on YouTube, episodes 5 through 8 in the "Minding Your Mechs" series are about the Dreamer mods... it quickly became clear to me that the stainless steel version of this particular mod is suffering a great deal from a poorly designed button contact that isn't too much of a problem with the other available metal type choices for this mod despite they all use this same inferior design. You can clearly see in more recent episodes of the same video series the copper Broadside and the yellow brass Admiral are much harder hitting mechs with a voltage drop as low as only 26 milli-volts at 30A, resulting in a power loss of only 1/4 of a watt. I don't normally obsess over a tiny little bit of extra power loss, but nevertheless I think the stainless steel Dreamer just loses way too much to deserve to be called a decent mod. If I may be so bold to say so Sir.

Mooch has tested the stainless steel Dreamer and compared it against other Dreamers. Search for "Battery Mooch" on YouTube, episodes 5 through 8 in the "Minding Your Mechs" series are about the Dreamer mods... it quickly became clear to me that the stainless steel version of this particular mod is suffering a great deal from a poorly designed button contact that isn't too much of a problem with the other available metal type choices for this mod despite they all use this same inferior design. You can clearly see in more recent episodes of the same video series the copper Broadside and the yellow brass Admiral are much harder hitting mechs with a voltage drop as low as only 26 milli-volts at 30A, resulting in a power loss of only 1/4 of a watt. I don't normally obsess over a tiny little bit of extra power loss, but nevertheless I think the stainless steel Dreamer just loses way too much to deserve to be called a decent mod. If I may be so bold to say so Sir.
You may be so bold to say... : )
My brass Dreamer works great (not as hard as my Broadside tho), I liked it so much I got the stainless so I could get all matchy-matchy with my other RDA's. As it is such a poor performer, the stainless has pretty much been sitting around gathering dust. I checked out Mooch's Mech series which confirmed my issues, atlhough in real world terms I think he understated just how much that performance drop would be with actual use. Hopefully my 20S's will arrive today and I will be able to breath some life into it with a nice .1 build (I'm waiting to buy some 30T's but they are pretty difficult to find over here - everyone is sold out)

Last edited:

Ephraim

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
So here's the thing - I've been wanting to rationalize my 18650 battery stock (30Q's, HG2s, 25R's and VTC5A's) down to 2 batteries.
I needed to get more batteries and had decided to get some more HG2's for my regulated mods and VTC5A's for my mechs... simple. Went online to make my purchase and find the newly released 20S from Samsung and I'm now scratching my head trying to figure out whether they should be in my arsenal. They are not going to replace the 3000mAh longevity of the HG2's in my regulated's and not sure how they would stack up against the hitting power VTC5A's for my mechs (although 30A will certainly give more headroom on lower builds). I have read Mooches findings but this hasn't helped me make a firm choice. Any suggestions?
I use Samsung 20s. Ur right they dont last long in a regulated mod but Mooch rated them as the hardest hitting 3p amp batteries. Least thats what I read off his fb. They last all day in my wifes HexOhm but only about 3 to 4 hours in my Paranormal.

I use Samsung 20s. Ur right they dont last long in a regulated mod but Mooch rated them as the hardest hitting 3p amp batteries. Least thats what I read off his fb. They last all day in my wifes HexOhm but only about 3 to 4 hours in my Paranormal.
Finally got my stock of 20S's (and some 30T's). Super happy with them... they are all they are cranked up to be. Found out the best way to use the 20S in a reg mod is if you are using a low build and running 75w or higher, otherwise best performance (battery life) will be be found with the HG2's.

Ephraim

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Finally got my stock of 20S's (and some 30T's). Super happy with them... they are all they are cranked up to be. Found out the best way to use the 20S in a reg mod is if you are using a low build and running 75w or higher, otherwise best performance (battery life) be found with the HG2's.
I figured ud be happy with the Samsung 20S. I use them in my Hex Ohm. They r very powerful batteries. Perfect for a mech.

VU Sponsors