Any thoughts on the Surric RAT?

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I really want to like the RAT, but I seem to experience leaking with mine more often than not. It would be easy to blame the Kanger coils they're designed to work with, but I'm starting to wonder if they simply don't seal as well as they should. Your thoughts?

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have not used one, but I'd try a different o-ring at the bottom seal. - or, lots of times, with the Kangers, if they're too tight they will leak.... just a couple of thoughts.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the tips. Will try not to screw in the coil too tightly and see what happens

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'd never heard of that one before. But, man I like it. It's like the old quality carto tanks but for a Protank head. :D

Beautifully simple tanks....

ZInIYN3l.jpg

gun_metal.jpg

That would look bitchin' on my root beer Buzz Pro blending colors with the brass gap-ring and I do need a new ProTank.
woot-035.gif

Site: http://www.surricvapes.com/

Also:

http://www.jvapes.com/r-a-t-tank-by-surric-vapes/
http://www.vapeindustry.com/inc/sdetail/619

Last edited:

hazozita

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really want to like the RAT, but I seem to experience leaking with mine more often than not. It would be easy to blame the Kanger coils they're designed to work with, but I'm starting to wonder if they simply don't seal as well as they should. Your thoughts?

Got one about a week ago (got it used) and have been really enjoying it. Zero leaks so far -- where is yours leaking? From the base or from the glass area?

I'm using rebuilt Protank heads with rayon and am leaving the silicon cup and the small bottom 0-ring off so the head seats better in the RAT tank holder. No flooding or dry hits so far (on my third tank fill).

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
A 6ml tank is just too much for my liking.

As much as I love my KFL+ it holds too much liquid so I usually end up vaping about half a tank before emptying it and switching to another flavor.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Got one about a week ago (got it used) and have been really enjoying it. Zero leaks so far -- where is yours leaking? From the base or from the glass area?

I'm using rebuilt Protank heads with rayon and am leaving the silicon cup and the small bottom 0-ring off so the head seats better in the RAT tank holder. No flooding or dry hits so far (on my third tank fill).
Mine consistently leaks from the base. I also use the bottom cap that is designed to fit with the dual coil head.

If I decide to use the Surric again, I'll remove the o-ring from the bottom cap as you suggested.

hazozita

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm using the bottom cap that's designed for the single coil head. Maybe the dual coil head cap is the issue?

I'd also suggest sending an email to Surric or messaging them on their FB page. I've heard they are very responsive and perhaps they can shed some light on the leaking issue.

Hopefully you'll get it working. But, if nothing helps and you want to get rid of it, I'd be interesting in buying it. I've never tried the dual coil head version and would love to see how it works vs the one I have.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Doesn't removing the o-ring from the base create a vacuum that makes it nearly impossible - or at least, a real pain - to unscrew when you're ready to clean the tank?

hazozita

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Doesn't removing the o-ring from the base create a vacuum that makes it nearly impossible - or at least, a real pain - to unscrew when you're ready to clean the tank?

I'm referring to the o-ring on the underside of the Protank head (the tiny clear one that sits right at the top of the protank head threads), NOT the o-ring on the RAT tank base. Removing the o-ring from the protank head allows it to sit better against the RAT tank base. At least it does so for mine, which is the single coil version of the RAT tank.

I expect Kanger put that o-ring in there since the Protanks aren't machined nearly as well as the RAT tank is.

VU Sponsors